Juliew Found Something That Works, Now Want To Get Off All The Meds That Don't Work

Juliew

After 25 years on more than 20 different drugs to treat major depressive disorder, I have decided enough is enough. I've had 15 rounds of ECT, with no improvement. As a 'last resort' , my psychiatrist put me on Riluzole, which is used mainly to treat ALS. A side effect is lessening of depression. Apparently it works on the glutamate system in the brain, and not the typical neurotransmitters. I feel I have had some success with this medication. I no longer live in a deep, dark pit of despair.

I do need to mention that over the last year (while being on Riluzole), I have expanded my spiritual life, started to exercise, and am eating better. I am also a recovering alcoholic (2 years sober).

I feel that I'm at the point where I can start to get off some of these other meds. I've cut my Vyvanse down to 10 mg/day for the last two weeks, and now will be going to every other day for at least two weeks. I'm experiencing bad headaches, but I'm hoping they will go away soon. I chose Vyvanse first because of the side effects I've been having - irregular heart beats, high resting pulse rate, tics, and the need for high blood pressure meds that I never used to need. A couple of years ago I tried to taper off the Venlafaxine (Effexor), and that was a disaster. I had to go back on it.

I guess I'm asking for guidance in going off everything except the Riluzole at this point. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

juliew

Lorazepam - 2mg, 2009-2013 & since beginning of 2015

Vyvanse - 20mg prescribed, currently taking 10mg (down from 60mg), 5+ years

Modafinil (Provigil) - 200mg, 1year

Abilify - 5mg (down from 10mg), 5+ years

Bupropion - 300mg, 5+ years

Venlafaxine - 37.5mg (down from 150mg), 5+ years

Riluzole - 50mg (down from 100mg), 2 years

Sorry I can't be more specific on the amount to time I've been on the meds.

juliew

• Administrator

Welcome, Juliew.

Please do not skip doses to taper any psychiatric drug. This can trigger severe withdrawal symptoms. It's like playing ping-pong with your nervous system.

With adverse effects from Vyvanse, you are wise to taper off it first. See

Drug Interactions Checker -- use it to reduce your drug burden -- check if your symptoms are from drug-drug effects

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Adderall  (we don't have a topic specifically for Vyvanse)

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine) for future reference

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Juliew,

I'm glad you have found something which is working for you.

It would be helpful for us if you would list all the medications you are currently taking, along with the dose and how long. Putting this information into your signature is the easiest way to do that. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you, Altostrata.

I appreciate your response. I didn't think that skipping doses would be that big of a deal. I will continue to take the Vyvanse daily, but will taper off very slowly. The one thing that makes it hard, is that it's powder - so I've been eyeballing the amount. I don't have a scale sensitive enough to actually measure the amount. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

juliew

juliew

Thanks Petunia,

I listed the drugs I'm currently on, but as I mentioned, I've been on a total of 20 different drugs. That means there were 14 that I quit taking. Surprisingly, I do not recall ever having withdrawal symptoms coming off those drugs. However, they were usually replaced by something new, or an adjustment of another drug. The only one I did have problems with was Effexor. Horrible withdrawal symptoms. So bad, I had to go back on it. My doctor tapered me off of it, but I think it was done too quickly. I'll know better next time.

Thank you,

juliew

juliew

• Administrator

I suggest you use site search in the Intro forum to see what skipping doses can do.

Please see Using a digital scale to measure doses

Making a liquid is easier -- see How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Vyvanse is soluble in water, per Vyvanse - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I just wanted to throw this out there:

Has anyone had experience with Riluzole (Rilutek) in the treatment of depression? If so, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

juliew

juliew

• Administrator

As this is a site for going off drugs, we generally don't discuss fine-tuning cocktails.

With your history of going on and off drugs, it could very well be that what you think is chronic "depression" is actually a series of adverse effects -- an iatrogenic condition. If I were you, I'd minimize drugs, stabilize, and see what your real baseline might be.

Thanks Altostrata,

Sounds like good advice. Although I would like to get off most, if not all my meds, I am scared to. I know I cannot handle the level of depression that I was experiencing. I understand that it could be a combo of drugs over the years, but I' not sure which ones to go off first - I approached my psychiatrist about going off of them, and he was going to have me 'taper down' by dropping one drug each month. That's way to fast! I think I need to find another doc.

Thanks,

juliew

juliew

• Administrator

Most doctors, even psychiatrists, know very little about getting people off these drugs.

Go slow and steady, you can minimize your drugs. Are you taking others? Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.