Jasmine Risperidone Tapering / Withdrawal

Jasmine

I am here hoping to find out a few answers for my son. He is 20 years old. He was on Risperidone 4.25mg for approximately 3 years. In January 2015, at my sons request it was reduced to 4mg and stayed there for 3 months. (positive results) His Psychiatrist wanted to reduce his Risperidone to 3mg, we felt that was to fast. I mentioned that most people reduce at 10% or less. He said your son is a good size 350lbs+ it won't be to much, a 1mg reduction. Well due to my hesitation, it got reduced to 3.5mg for 30 days and then the Psy wants it reduced to 3mg for another 30 days. It has been 33 days now, I feel the reduction is to much. Still at 3,5mg. There has been more positive results, answers his name more quicker now, laughing, been out on a few walks and has started to watch TV again, been about 3 years.......In the last week or so, he has started getting full of anxiety/worrisome, repeating questions over and over until he is sure of my answer, there is a bit of pacing too. So I am wondering perhaps if his reductions are to much?

My Sons Medication History

Jan  2011 to July  2011      .25mg to  3mg     Risperdal  / Risperidone                   Dec  2011 to Jan  2012     250mg x 2          Valproic          

July  2011 to Sept 2011      25mg  to 100mg  Seroquel  / Quetiapine                     Jan  2012  to Feb 2012     250mg x 3          Divalproex / Depakote

Sept 2011 to Nov  2011      2.5mg to 10mg    Zyprexa   / Olanzapine                    Jan  2012  to Mar 2012     10mg to 20mg     Abilify / Aripiprazole

Sept 2011 to Jan  2012       0.5mg                 Klonopin  / Clonazepam                   Mar 2012  to July 2012      37.5mg to 75mg Effexor / Venlafaxine

Oct   2011 to Dec 2011       25mg  to 75mg   Topamax / Topiramate                     Mar 2012  to Jan 2015     .50mg to 4.25mg  Risperdal / Risperidone 

Nov  2011                            7.5mg                 Imovane  / Zopiclone  As Needed    Aug 2013  to Dec 2014      25mg                   Zoloft / Sertraline

Nov  2011 to Jan 2012        2mg to 7mg        Risperdal / Risperidone                    Feb 2015  to Apr 2015       4mg                    Risperdal / Risperidone 

Dec  2011                            1mg                    Ativan        As Needed

May 2015 To Present         3.5mg                  Risperdal / Risperidone

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Jasmine,

Thank you for joining on behalf of your son. Its good to hear that your son has had some improvements from reducing his dose of Risperidone, but a concern that there seems to be what looks like the beginning of some withdrawal symptoms. Pacing can be a sign of akathisia, which can be a withdrawal symptom, along with being a side effect of some drugs. But if he has only just started pacing, then its more likely to be withdrawal.

Is your son taking any other medications?

My recommendation is to continue holding for now, and to wait for any withdrawal symptoms to subside before continuing with tapering based on the '10% of the current dose method'.

See:  

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone) - Surviving ...

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia, Thank you!

I am sorry i have not gotten back sooner to you, still learning to navigate the site and the internet has been working terrible today here for me. (unusual) I was able earlier today to post my sons        medication history.....I do believe the best way to reduce a medication is to go down 10% or less....My son is now nervous about the reduction...I keep trying to asure him that things will be fine.  It  does not help though him knowing the Psy is disagreeing with me about staying at the 3.5mg Risperidone, the Psy wants it to go down further to 3mg....I am going to call his office again tomorrow  and hopefully he will return my call. My son is only taking Risperidone. I will be in touch and let you know, how we make out.

Jasmine

Jan  2011 to July  2011      .25mg to  3mg     Risperdal  / Risperidone                   Dec  2011 to Jan  2012     250mg x 2          Valproic          

July  2011 to Sept 2011      25mg  to 100mg  Seroquel  / Quetiapine                     Jan  2012  to Feb 2012     250mg x 3          Divalproex / Depakote

Sept 2011 to Nov  2011      2.5mg to 10mg    Zyprexa   / Olanzapine                    Jan  2012  to Mar 2012     10mg to 20mg     Abilify / Aripiprazole

Sept 2011 to Jan  2012       0.5mg                 Klonopin  / Clonazepam                   Mar 2012  to July 2012      37.5mg to 75mg Effexor / Venlafaxine

Oct   2011 to Dec 2011       25mg  to 75mg   Topamax / Topiramate                     Mar 2012  to Jan 2015     .50mg to 4.25mg  Risperdal / Risperidone 

Nov  2011                            7.5mg                 Imovane  / Zopiclone  As Needed    Aug 2013  to Dec 2014      25mg                   Zoloft / Sertraline

Nov  2011 to Jan 2012        2mg to 7mg        Risperdal / Risperidone                    Feb 2015  to Apr 2015       4mg                    Risperdal / Risperidone 

Dec  2011                            1mg                    Ativan        As Needed

Hello, I am also coming off Risperdal. My situation is probably different from your son's. Despite any differences, though, I have a recommendation-- try to get the psychiatrist on your side. I told my psychiatrist I would like to come off Risperdal and he said "Ok". After an incident in which I stopped almost cold turkey either because he said so or because we had a misunderstanding, he has basically let me do what I want and written me prescriptions for what I need. It has been incredibly helpful, and I think coming off the medication would have been much more difficult if I had only made choices after getting advice from him or had run every decision by him. I was on 2 mg in October 2014; I am now on 0.0625 mg and doing well. If you talk to your son's psychiatrist a lot, get frequent feedback from your son if possible and figure out what you want, and then bring those ideas to the psychiatrist. A lot of them do not have the same mindset or beliefs as the people on, say, this forum. My psychiatrist frequently does not agree with what I would like to do (reduce the medication slowly or take very small amounts before stopping), but he lets me do it and helps me. That is what you need. Of course, it's not a good idea to totally disregard what the psychiatrist has to say, and he or she might have good insights about the effects of the drugs, how they work, or side effects. But from both my own experiences and what I've read on here and elsewhere, it seems like many many many of them are not savvy about tapering psychiatric drugs. I would tell your son to constantly observe his symptoms and how he feels. From what I've been told and read, it's about the patient listening to his or her body and possibly working together with those around him or her. You see your son 7 days a week... the psychiatrist sees him for... an hour a month?

Was taking: 2 mg Risperdal

50 mg Lamictal

100 mg Zoloft

Currently taking:

0 mg Risperdal- finished 6/20/2015

0 mg Lamictal- finished 10/6/2015

0 mg Zoloft- finished ~March 2016

I am med-free!!

My intro thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7656-risperdrawlin-trying-to-come-off-all-psychiatric-medication-eventually/

Sorry, forgot to mention-- it would definitely be a good idea to have your son start filling out a daily mood chart or DBT diary card listing how he felt that day, what he did, and any drug- or withdrawal- related feelings or symptoms. This one looks decent: http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/diary_card_5.html Meditationand mindfulness have also been helpful for me.

50 mg Lamictal

100 mg Zoloft

Currently taking:

I am med-free!!

My intro thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7656-risperdrawlin-trying-to-come-off-all-psychiatric-medication-eventually/

Hi Risperdrawlin  Thank you for the reply...I tried to click on the link you shared and it would not work, I am going to try and type it into the address bar and see how it goes....I also tried calling the Psy office today... All I got was an answering machine..I will try again tomorrow morning...I am going to keep him at the 3.5mg dosage until I speak the Psy.  His first reduction was from 4.25mg to 4mg at a 6% decrease for 3 months and then 4mg to 3.5mg at a 12.5% reduction for 30 days (holding here) and now a 14.25% from 3.5mg to 3mg for another 30 days. I think to much to fast...I will let you know how it is going and if I am able to get onto the DBT website.

Jasmine

Hi Petunia, I tried calling the Psy office today. I only got the answering machine. I will try calling again tomorrow morning... I plan to hold my sons medication at 3.5mg, I believe it is for the best.

Jasmine

The link is http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/diary_card_5.html, sorry, it seems to have messed it up. As far as the pacing, I don't know your son's situation or what his normal behavior is, but it's possible it's not something to really worry about if it goes down. Risperdal decreases agitation; pacing may be a sign of your son feeling more agitated or something similar because of being on less Risperdal. In my own time coming off Risperdal, I have had a lot of different effects from the drug, its side effects, withdrawal effects from the drug, the absence on the drug/ being stable on a lower dose, and being stable after holding and feeling similar to how I felt before I started tapering. When I'm on Risperdal or stable, I have flat affect sometimes. After cutting my dose, my affect will return a bit, and I may feel more anxiety for a few days. This is the effect of decreasing the dose/ being in withdrawal. A couple of times my symptoms have become unbearable and I have had to return to a slightly higher dose and/or hold for a while. Sometimes after I cut the drug I have felt sort of bad and thought, "Ok, I feel kind of bad now; if this gets much worse, I might have to go back up and hold for a bit. In five days I might be a mess, or I might be fine." During those times I have mostly been able to ride out the symptoms; they have not gotten much worse. Sometimes my symptoms or behavior get pretty severe or extreme; I might feel overstimulated and not want to speak to anyone or even watch a tv show or do anything involving human contact for a whole weekend. I also might feel so agitated that I hit my bed as hard as I can like 10 times. And then do it again a minute later. And again a minute after that. These symptoms can be difficult, but with effort and mindfulness they are not unbearable.

I really really really recommend pushing some mindfulness training hard on your son.  This book ( hardcover paper version) and my Mom played significant roles in getting me to try mindfulness and meditation seriously. The first time I learned to meditate was at a workshop given by this man (who runs this blog), and this is the script he gave to take home to continue to learn to meditate: http://practicingmentalillness.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-begin-meditating.html

Best of luck! I look forward to hearing how things go.

50 mg Lamictal

100 mg Zoloft

Currently taking:

I am med-free!!