Primekittycat: Hi! Was this protracted withdrawal? Will be tapering slowly soon..

primekittycat

Hi, 

As have said before, I had suffered from unexplained pain in my left neck side, shoulder and arm for a couple of months, after been off my citalopram dose. 

No tests showed anything and pain doctor couldn't find anything wrong, or doing something about it! 

Painkillers was of little help. 

Great suffering. 

Gradually the pain faded away, and completely vanished within days! 

Now I am OK, a couple of years, without any symptoms. 

This was my experience. 

All the best. 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Moderator Emeritus
53 minutes ago, primekittycat said:

Currently on 1 average sized bead which is about the 0.3mg I mentioned. Maybe for my next cut I can just take a smaller sized bead? Thoughts on that?

I would make an inventory of beads from medium and on down as small as they come, like a collection.  You can store them in a pill bottle and label by size.

How long have you been on the medium beads?  If not long, you could stay on medium a little longer, then go to smaller and stay there for a little while.  If there is an even smaller, then you could go to that.  Of course at some point it's going to be a 100% jump but there's no getting around that.  But I definitely would go from medium to smaller as much as your inventory permits before jumping.

I know at the end with the beads it's a little tricky because of the limited number of sizes.  

By the way, intense exercise in withdrawal is overstimulating for many of us.  You might lessen the intensity.

I'm glad you're getting some relief from the physical therapy.  Back of neck tightness and pain has been one of my typical come-and-go symptoms.

You're almost there, primekittycyat.  You're almost off Effexor!

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

6 hours ago, primekittycat said:

Hi all! Quick update, the orthopedic doc I saw back in January was useless. She didn't seem to care about my pain and ordered a wrist MRI that I never got. I saw my PCP in February being in horrible pain in my neck, shoulder and arm so she ordered me to see a neurologist, ordered more sensitive bloodwork and prescribed Flexeril (a muscle relaxer) temporarily for the pain. My bloodwork checking for autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid all came back normal.

I was finally able to be mostly pain free and get sleep, taking as low of a dose that I could of Flexeril (had read that sometimes people need to withdraw slowly from that drug too!) and still restricting my activity until I could see the neurologist 6 weeks later. The neurologist thought I had a herniated disc or pinched nerve in my neck as well as carpal tunnel. The cervical MRI he ordered came back normal but 2 weeks ago I started physical therapy for my neck. It has helped immensely, I've been able to come off of the muscle relaxer but I still get hot hands and feet that turn red with intense exercise, hot showers, drinking alcohol, anything that gets my body temp up. I found a condition called erythromelalgia that my doc believes I may have, however my CBC blood work came back normal (besides WBCs being slightly low and my % monocytes being slightly high). I guess typically platelets are high if you have it. I've been treating it by avoiding those things and taking aspirin or motrin as needed. She thinks my 'carpal tunnel pain' may even be from this condition. I am getting a second EMG in May, as long as testing opens back up with this virus situation, to see if I have any nerve damage.

I highly suspect that Effexor has been covering up nerve pain and possibly the erythromelalgia for me and I never knew it. I am curious to see if I continue to get better (is it really a pinched nerve?) or if I continue to have nerve pain issues. 

@Gridley thank you so much for your concern and for the congrats!! This is so exciting for me. I plan on jumping off at about 0.3mg which is the lowest I think I can go with my beads. I was using the Gemini scale until the weight got too low to read a few months ago, now I'm just counting beads. Currently on 1 average sized bead which is about the 0.3mg I mentioned. Maybe for my next cut I can just take a smaller sized bead? Thoughts on that?

Hey PKC. Congrats on your progress! You are so close! I am jealous lol. 

Not sure if it's related to what's happening to you, but I get super flushed/red as well with all of those things you mentioned. Especially my chest! It is very embarrassing! Also, I've had a few massages and my body literally turns into a lobster in the area's that are worked on. It is something that only started within the last few years and I have had a lot of tests done and Dr. has no clue. They thought it was my thyroid, mthfr gene or some kind of autoimmune thing but all my tests came back normal. Anyways I have no idea if it is related to diet, the Effexor/reductions, or what. But with that said, I recently been experimenting with the keto diet and I have noticed a significant reduction in the flushing. I still get my usual social anxiety flushing which I've dealt with my whole life... but this weird super flush that I get from showering, exercise, massages and even 2 sips of wine... it doesn't seem to happen anymore when I do my keto rounds (21 days).

Anyways, I typically wouldn't recommend a fad diet especially in a situation like this... however, it might be something to consider.

Effexor XR:

July 2008: 150mg | June 24 2015: 145mg | July 28 2015: 130.5mg | Sept 4 2015: 117mg | Nov 10 2015: 105mg

Jan 24 2016: 94.5mg | Feb 28 2016: 85mg | Mar 27 2016: 76.5mg | Apr 28 2016: 69mg | Aug 14 2016: 62mg

Jan 19 2017: 56mg | Feb 21 2017: 50mg | Mar 30 2017: 36mg | Apr 2 2017: 45mg | Sep 1 2019: 27.5mg

April 9 2020: 25.2mg | Oct 30 2021: 16.9mg | Apr 1 2023: 15.2mg | May 1 2023: 13.7mg | May 31 2023: 12.3mg

July 1 2023: 11.1mg | Aug 1st 2023: 10mg | Sep 25 2023: 9mg | Oct 25 2023: 8.1mg

Vitamins & Supplements:

MegaFood Women's Postnatal Vitamin | Metagenix D3 5000 IU | Floradix Liquid Iron

• 5 months later...

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to check in and see how things were going with you. Hope all is well!

Effexor XR:

July 2008: 150mg | June 24 2015: 145mg | July 28 2015: 130.5mg | Sept 4 2015: 117mg | Nov 10 2015: 105mg

Jan 24 2016: 94.5mg | Feb 28 2016: 85mg | Mar 27 2016: 76.5mg | Apr 28 2016: 69mg | Aug 14 2016: 62mg

Jan 19 2017: 56mg | Feb 21 2017: 50mg | Mar 30 2017: 36mg | Apr 2 2017: 45mg | Sep 1 2019: 27.5mg

April 9 2020: 25.2mg | Oct 30 2021: 16.9mg | Apr 1 2023: 15.2mg | May 1 2023: 13.7mg | May 31 2023: 12.3mg

July 1 2023: 11.1mg | Aug 1st 2023: 10mg | Sep 25 2023: 9mg | Oct 25 2023: 8.1mg

Vitamins & Supplements:

MegaFood Women's Postnatal Vitamin | Metagenix D3 5000 IU | Floradix Liquid Iron

• 1 month later...

@buggedout, thanks for checking on me, it's been a while (again!). Here is my update, and I will be sure to check out your updates after I write this :)

I officially took my last dose of Effexor on Oct 31! This year has been a rough road personally aside from COVID, with all the weird symptoms I mentioned in recent posts, and all the worries about possibly having an autoimmune disease or something more serious, which was made even more fun to worry about with COVID around. The nerve test (EMG) I had in May (that kept getting pushed back due to COVID) showed that I'd had a pinched nerve in vertebrae C8 in the recent past, but it was resolved, and according to doctors there was no more reason for the ongoing pain in my neck, shoulder, arm, and hand (outside of mild arthritis they discovered in my right wrist), and no reason for the swelling/burning/flushing in my hands and feet. I advocated for myself and saw 2 neurologists, a rheumatologist, other doctors I can't even think of right now, and had 26 physical therapy treatments that helped a ton. All bloodwork came back normal, x-rays of my shoulder, hands, feet, knees, were all normal except for the mild arthritis in my right wrist that I mentioned (all places I had pain or weird symptoms), I had a brain MRI to check for MS that came back normal, and a shoulder MRI that was also normal. The flushing in my hands and feet eventually resolved as well, in about May/June. I am very very grateful for all of this.

Again the pain from the pinched nerve should have resolved months ago, and I've discovered that any leftover pain was mainly due to MindBody syndrome. It is not well known but I encourage anyone with undiagnosed chronic pain to look into it. I still have some pain, but it's been reduced immensely. I am still working on it daily, and am in week 3 of Dr. Howard Schubiner's program for MindBody syndrome (the program in his book 'Unlearn Your Pain'). I haven't taken motrin in a couple weeks (HUGE improvement after taking it 1-2 times a day, and required it to sleep), and no muscle relaxers in over a month (was taking them maybe twice a week depending on how I felt).

I've discovered that to stay mentally healthy, I need to meditate at least once a day, constantly be aware of my emotions, stand up for myself, be kind to myself, and stay active in some way. Physically I've been getting therapeutic massages every 2-3 weeks and it helps relieve the tension in my body immensely. I just started yoga again, and have been taking walks 2-5 times a week since the start of COVID, even through all my pain, to keep active. 

I was supposed to 'jump off' of Effexor in March-April this year but didn't due to my odd symptoms and of course the new stress from COVID. I had hung on to taking a tiny bead of Effexor from March-October, and finally decided I was ready to do it. I feel great so far. I have grown so much emotionally and mentally this year. I know I am strong enough to overcome anything. 

I will be sure to continually update here and will be making a donation to this site for helping me through. @Altostrata and others who guide everyone here are serious life changers and angels (and I'm not religious). 

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

• Administrator

What a great update, Primekittycat! So happy you've taken care of yourself with physical therapy, meditation, listening to your body, and learning about MindBody syndrome.

Can you tell us more about what you've learned about MindBody syndrome? Maybe start a topic in the Symptoms forum?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you! Yes, I will. I'll start working on that for a topic in Symptoms. Maybe it will help others!

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

• 11 months later...

Lisa,

I am so glad to see (in your signature) that you are still med free and withdrawal free a year later.

How did the final jump go for you? Was that last dose you took 0.38mg?

How are you feeling these days?

Effexor XR:

Vitamins & Supplements:

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, buggedout said:

Lisa,

I am so glad to see (in your signature) that you are still med free and withdrawal free a year later.

How did the final jump go for you? Was that last dose you took 0.38mg?

How are you feeling these days?

Hey there! Wow, over a year since you sent this message so hopefully you'll see my reply. Technically I'm not sure what mg I was on at the end. I went from taking one large sized bead, to a medium sized bead, to a small sized bead to a tiny speck. Still doing great over 2 years later. I feel very grateful. Hope you're doing well too, happy new year!

• 7 months later...

@primekittycat I’m not sure you’ll ever see this but Congratulations 🎉. I’m 6 months of Effexor and dealing with the finger, hand issues you had. I tapered off 150 in 3 months. I had been on that dose for 17 years for generalized anxiety disorder. I didn’t go lower than 37.5 and am struggling. I have a dr appt next week where I’ll be asking for blood work and checking out reasons why my fingers and hands feel swollen, tired and sore. Your story has reassured me though 💜

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023