SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Changing my PH level. This has worked wonders for me!

chicken

• Moderator Emeritus

Chicken, I agree with you about natural remedies before the era of pharmaceuticals! Some of those remedies are legit!!!

Thanks for the pineapple info.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Administrator

Jaywill, please tell us more about peeing on a stick. What stick?

From my experience, apple cider vinegar -- one capful in a glass of water before meals -- aids digestion. Your body needs acid to digest food, and many of us lose the natural ability to make our own hydrochloric stomach acid. Apple cider vinegar or lemon water helps.

Improving digestion means nutrients get better absorbed and that helps everything else get straightened out.

I think I might try the baking soda....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Haha! I laughed when I opened this page and the question was for me. It's not really peeing on a stick, its just ph paper. My naturopath gave them to me as I was highly acidic. Yellow is as acidic as you can get and Navy blue is as alkaline as you can get. No matter what I did I couldn;t get my ph from being yellow and I felt like I was going to die for the fist 33 months of withdrawal. My first turn around came when I started taking spectralyte drops, within 3 days my chemical sensitivity was a bit better and my ph paper was a little less yellow. I have been on spectralyte, apple cider vinegar for 3 months and I am almost navy blue and feel WAY better. I can eat way more foods, i have very little brain fog, my chemical sensitivity is getting better all the time. I bath in Baking soda and epsom salts every night but I dont take baking soda everyday. Because I am so alkaline right now and feeling so good i just play it day by day. I am so excited because I can even eat some chocolate here and there with no reacrtion

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

What kind of food reactions were you having? I have them too and I think it may be histamine. How many drops of the spectralyte are you taking? Did you start with a full dose?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

More like what kind of foods did I not react to? I have been off Gluten for 2.5 years and dairy since Oct. Its def a histamine issue because when I get a reaction , once I get sick or take benadryl it gets better. I started spectralyte with 5 drops two times per day and now I am at 15 drops two times per day and that is the full dose. I have had chocolate twice today and I am doing fine. I am convinced its a ph and mineral deficiency thing that makes us so sick for so long. I really find having an epsom salt bath with baking powder at night has helped to eliminate toxins

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

• 1 month later...

I'm now trying to avoid soda/soft drinks. As a good ph substitute, I'm now using local unpasteurized honey in Koolaid with my well water. Tastes pretty good.

However, for sensitive people the dyes in koolaid could be a trigger. Overall I think it is better than drinking sodas.

PH Food chart for anyone interested.

http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/191-ph-food-chart.html

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 3 weeks later...

An update for this thread.

I convinced a coworker to start taking vinegar.

He has been balancing his Ph with unpasteurized vinegar with the mother. He is diabetic. This week his doctor told him that his A1C level is the lowest it has been in 8 years. He has been on the vinegar for over a month.

He plans to stick with it.

He thanked me for the advice.

Anyone reading this thread who is trying this. Let me know how it is going for you.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Administrator

Apple cider vinegar is a famous old health tonic. Glad it's working so well for you!

Rather than Kool-Aid, you might want to move to fresh lemonade with honey, it might do the same thing that apple cider does for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Another replacement for cold drinks that's pretty yum is Switchel  http://draxe.com/switchel/

You mix apple cider vinegar , honey , water (or seltzer water) and ginger. 

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Another replacement for cold drinks that's pretty yum is Switchel  http://draxe.com/switchel/

You mix apple cider vinegar , honey , water (or seltzer water) and ginger. 

Thanks for the link Fresh. I will try it.

May tap some of these maple trees around here, LOL.

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Apple cider vinegar is a famous old health tonic. Glad it's working so well for you!

Rather than Kool-Aid, you might want to move to fresh lemonade with honey, it might do the same thing that apple cider does for you.

Alto,

The lemonade sounds like a good choice.

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Summary of the importance of your ph level:

"Health and healing are based on the notion of balance. Acid alkaline balance is the most critical balance in the body and is required to ensure proper health, energy, and vitality.

Why?

Because all the body's regulatory mechanisms including breathing, circulation, digestion and even our hormones work in order to maintain the delicate internal acid alkaline balance.

You can measure the pH range in saliva and urine, but the pH of your blood is the most important indicator of the body's internal conditions.

Just as our body temperature must be maintained at 98.6 degrees, the pH of your blood is controlled between 7.35-7.45.

This range of 7.35 and 7.45 is vital to a person's well being. The body will go through great lengths to maintain the appropriate, slightly alkaline, nature of its internal environment.

Let's see what happens when the body is slightly out of balance...

In the earlier stages of imbalance, small symptoms begin to show, such as headaches, allergies, aches, and back pains.

Why do you experience these symptoms?

Simple really...

In order to maintain the delicate pH range of your body, your body will try to get rid of the excess acids by 2 ways...

1) It can release the excess acids through the skin, producing symptoms such as eczema, acne, boils, headaches, muscle cramps, soreness, swelling, irritation, inflammation, and general aches and pains.

2) Or your body neutralizes the excess acids in the system by leaching all the alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, from other parts of your body.

And when this continues for a long time, your internal system would fail and cause your body to become susceptible to serious diseases and illnesses for example heart diseases, osteoporosis (for women), high blood pressure, and diabetes and many more...

To add on to that, when your body can no longer maintain the delicate slightly alkaline pH level, cancer cells have higher chances to grow in your body.

I'm going to quote Dr Otto Warburg again, who was awarded the prestigious Nobel Prize for his study in cancer -

"Every single person who has cancer has a pH that is too acidic."

Almost all diseases in the body are caused by excess acidity in the body. Correct that and you might be disease-free sooner than you think.

There are a few factors that influence the acidity of your body - your diet, lifestyle and your daily emotions.

1) Your diet - This is one of the most important factors to balance your body's pH level. Not only are most people eating a diet full of acidic foods, those foods are highly processed, artificial and full of unnatural flavorings.

2) Your lifestyle - Habits like sleeping late, smoking, not exercising, drinking excessively, are some causes of an acidic health and body.

3) Your emotions - Your emotions play an important role in your body's pH level. When you are having negative emotions like stress, anxiety, and depression, it will cause your body's pH to become acidic.

It is all about managing these 3 aspects of your life well to prevent your body from diseases and illnesses.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

More like what kind of foods did I not react to? I have been off Gluten for 2.5 years and dairy since Oct. Its def a histamine issue because when I get a reaction , once I get sick or take benadryl it gets better. I started spectralyte with 5 drops two times per day and now I am at 15 drops two times per day and that is the full dose. I have had chocolate twice today and I am doing fine. I am convinced its a ph and mineral deficiency thing that makes us so sick for so long. I really find having an epsom salt bath with baking powder at night has helped to eliminate toxins

I think that having enough minerals in the body is vital, as well. 

since many people in withdrawal don't tolerate vitamins, how is it with minerals? there are wide variety of minerals, some of them are needed in very small quantitites but they are all important. people usually take only magnesium, iron, zinc etc, but there are lots of more. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good point rapunzel.   I use Himalayan Rock Salt , which contains 84 trace minerals , electrolytes and elements.

See analysis here  http://themeadow.com/pages/minerals-in-himalayan-pink-salt-spectral-analysis

Ideas on how to use it / make "salt sole"  and health benefits here  http://saltt.com.au/files/nrteUploadFiles/132F042F201333A233A59PM.pdf

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 months later...

I was looking for a solution for nausea that comes and goes since reinstating. I remembered reading about apple cider vinegar. I just tried some, two tablespoons of acv with honey in a glass of water. Nausea gone and my sinuses feel cleared. It also gave me a burst of energy. Go figure the old fashioned ways are the best. I'm going to keep using this for nausea. I believe it alkalizes the body which is a good thing. Marie

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

• 5 months later...

I'm happy someone directed me to his thread. I'm looking to start using ACV (with mother) to help with my GI distress...and of course will welcome any other health benefits it has. My question is: can I use the ACV if I'm still on my AD/SSRI? I'm worried that it will interact somehow. Have any of you taken the ACV while still ON your SSRI? Thank you.

2001 - Zyban/Wellbutrin to quit smoking. Quit c/t and suffered with terrible anxiety/panic attacks/agoraphobia. No prior history of mental health issues. Went to see a pdoc, "diagnosed" with GAD/Panic Disorder and put on 10mg Paxil.
2007 - over the years dose raised to 60mg (about 6 months) but mostly 5 years at 40mg.
2008-2010 - numerous attempts to "taper", always too fast. Couldn't handle the symptoms so believed I "needed" meds.
Late 2011 - found PaxilProgress and realized what was happening. But had just made a large drop from 40mg to 20mg. Updosed to 30mg and held for 6 months to stabilize. Prescribed Ativan PRN for breakthrough panic while stabilizing.
Dec 2013 - down to 15mg tapering 10% per month with compounded capsules
Jan 2014 - hospitalized for a leg injury and prescribed 2mg Ativan DAILY as a (leg) muscle relaxer and to sleep. Horrific w/d after leaving hospital. Reinstated and began a taper. Paxil taper on hold.
Aug 2015 - FREE of Benzo's. 15mg Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kiddo,

If you search using google, with survivingantidepressants.org + ACV it will find members with ACV in their topic.  To then search their topic to find the reference, once you open their topic, type ACV in the search box, top right (if ACV doesn't bring up their posts, type in apple cider vinegar in full).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Kiddo, 

I've started taking a tablespoon of ACV and haven't noticed any interactions with anything. 

I'm taking in the hopes that along with meditation, exercise, cherry juice and celery, it might help my slightly elevated (due to withdrawal, I believe) blood pressure.

One day I felt nauseous and took some ACV in water. 

The nausea cleared right up.

It was a little freaky! ! ! ! ;) 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy