SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Neonic9: clozapine / Clozaril victim

Neonic9

• Moderator Emeritus

We strongly urge people to delay "jumping off" until the dose is less than 1 mg.

When to end taper and jump to zero?.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neonic9

• Shep

• JanCarol

• nz11

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, guys, but that's not what I was asking. No one has yet answered this question: When I'm finally down to the lowest dose, can I get off the drug or should I stay on it permanently to avoid psychosis?

From April 16th 2015 to May 25th 2015, Zyprexa for 39 days. 20mg for the last half of the days. I'm off them cold turkey since May 25th 2015.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

Oh i think i see what you are saying...So you are asking if you need to stay on a low dose say 0.2 mg for life? because you feel that if you dont you will suffer psychosis

Well here is a great book recommnedation

https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/1491513217

You can get it from the library or go to amazon and have a 'Look inside'

You might like to check out the last two sentences on page 107...hey if i do all the work it'll be no fun!

Clozapine is an antipsychotic/neuroleptic.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Oh i think i see what you are saying...So you are asking if you need to stay on a low dose say 0.2 mg for life? because you feel that if you dont you will suffer psychosis

Right, that's exactly what I'm asking.

You can get it from the library or go to amazon and have a 'Look inside'

You might like to check out the last two sentences on page 107...hey if i do all the work it'll be no fun!

I tried 'Look inside' but it won't show page 107.

Please tell me the last two sentences. This is very important to me.

From April 16th 2015 to May 25th 2015, Zyprexa for 39 days. 20mg for the last half of the days. I'm off them cold turkey since May 25th 2015.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Neonic -- nz11 has recommended a reference text for you to do YOUR own research and was kind enough to give you a relevant page reference. What prevents you from taking it from there?

Often to see more pages in the "Look Inside" feature, you need to be logged in to an Amazon account.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Neonic -- nz11 has recommended a reference text for you to do YOUR own research and was kind enough to give you a relevant page reference. What prevents you from taking it from there?

Often to see more pages in the "Look Inside" feature, you need to be logged in to an Amazon account.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly grateful to nz11 and everyone else that is helping me on here but I guess I'm not much of a researcher. I just want simple answers to my simple questions.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

Many of us are not researchers but we have been forced to step up, un-patient ourselves and take full control of our healthcare.

Doing our  own checks on what is being said and prescribed by the doctors.

Sadly due to extensive nefarious pharmaceutical behaviour and pharma indoctrinated doctors, we are now living in a society where one of the scariest things a person can hear is "Hi, i'm a doctor and i'm here to help you".

Basically Whitaker has shown that long term outcomes on these brain altering chemicals is a worsening in all measures.

So yeah you should not be thinking you have to take these drugs for life. And it is wrong for a doctor to tell you you have to take these for life.

Breggin sums it up like this, "It is a mistake to assume that individuals require many months or years of antipsychotic medication following a psychotic episode"...."Individual and family therapy can be used to treat acute psychotic episodes without resort to medication".

We are living in the information age and ignorance is now a choice. Our health and bodies are too important to entrust blindly to people for whom wealthcare is priority not healthcare.

Do your own research on the chemicals your doctor is giving you. These are the very people who refuse to try some of their own medicine by the way.

It is well worth  getting that book by Whitaker from the library and having a read. Its very informative. Make it a goal to read one book this year and let that book be 'Anatomy of an epidemic ' by Whitaker.

Once you pick it up you might be like (non book reader ) me and find you have trouble putting it down again.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

@ nz11:

Thanks for the wise words.

So basically the answer to my previous question is to not stay on the drug for life?

Clozapine 50mg a night.

The answer is to get informed for yourself, do not blindly trust what a doctor is telling you, then if you dont want to take these chemicals the answer is to do a safe taper off and to slam the door closed on any chance of swallowing this stuff ever again.

If however after being fully informed and doing your own research you decide to take them for life then sobeit. 

In that case this site is not for you.

Good luck with your decisions

Recovering paxil addict

if you dont want to take these chemicals the answer is to do a safe taper off and to slam the door closed on any chance of swallowing this stuff ever again.

Sounds good to me.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

I'd like to hear others answer my question: Once I'm down to the lowest dosage, can I finally get off Clozapine? Or must I stay on it forever?

Clozapine 50mg a night.

I'd like to hear others answer my question: Once I'm down to the lowest dosage, can I finally get off Clozapine? Or must I stay on it forever?

Difficulty in stopping psychiatric drugs can lead misinformed or unscrupulous health professionals to tell patients that they need to take their drugs for the rest of their lives when they really need to taper and withdraw from them in a careful manner.   Breggin 2014.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Neonic.

NZ, as always, has very wise and thoughtful information. Please follow up on the authors he quotes. 

It's great information.

I'd like to hear others answer my question: Once I'm down to the lowest dosage, can I finally get off Clozapine? Or must I stay on it forever?

We don't tell members what they should do, we only recommend and offer educational information. We can give you taper advice, do the math for you, and link you to sites that provide more information.

But we would never tell you if you should stay on a drug forever. We are not doctors.

I also would recommend Robert Whitaker's "Anatomy of an Epidemic". You can also find his talks on YouTube.

This is a great YouTube talk by Dr. Joanna Moncrieff:

Joanna Moncrieff - The Myth of the Chemical Cure: The Politics of Psychiatric Drug Treatment

And this is an article about Dr. Martin Harrow's 20-year study that will address your concerns:

Interpreting Harrow’s 20-Year Results: Are the Drugs to Blame?

After you listen to Dr. Moncrieff's talk and read the linked article, please post any questions you have.

We can help you learn to research. It's really important to learn this.

Sending healing vibes your way. Please keep updating. 

Difficulty in stopping psychiatric drugs can lead misinformed or unscrupulous health professionals to tell patients that they need to take their drugs for the rest of their lives when they really need to taper and withdraw from them in a careful manner.   Breggin 2014.

Thanks, I take it that means I can get off the drugs when I'm at the lowest dosage.

@ Shep:

Thank you for all the links and such, but I don't see why you can't answer my question. In fact, I would really appreciate it if you would tell me what your answer is.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• Administrator

Neonic, yes, you can go off clozapine. But we can't tell you what the "lowest dose" is for you. How are you feeling now? When was the last time you reduced? How did you feel after that?

Please read the links and educate yourself. If you have been identified as someone who needs an antipsychotic, taking care of yourself means not getting in a position to be medicated again. This means if you get withdrawal symptoms, you will need to manage them.

And if those symptoms include the kind of thoughts and behaviors that caused you to be prescribed antipsychotics, you will need to manage them so you are not hospitalized, because you will be prescribed more drugs and in much higher dosages.

So you are the best person to judge if you can go without any clozapine. It's your choice and your responsibility.

Going from 100mg clozapine to a fraction of that dose is quite an accomplishment. If you feel you need continue on a tiny dose, that's not a shame, it's taking care of yourself.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Neonic, yes, you can go off clozapine.

Thanks so much for the answer, Altostrata. 

But we can't tell you what the "lowest dose" is for you. How are you feeling now? When was the last time you reduced? How did you feel after that?

I feel fine except for the feeling of everything being dulled. The last time I reduced was early January, I'm not sure the exact time. After reducing I felt fine and was enjoying the new dopamine, but I did have an intense dream that night and also experienced the feeling of being a little overwhelmed by the new dopamine. 

Please read the links and educate yourself. If you have been identified as someone who needs an antipsychotic, taking care of yourself means not getting in a position to be medicated again. This means if you get withdrawal symptoms, you will need to manage them.

And if those symptoms include the kind of thoughts and behaviors that caused you to be prescribed antipsychotics, you will need to manage them so you are not hospitalized, because you will be prescribed more drugs and in much higher dosages.

So you are the best person to judge if you can go without any clozapine. It's your choice and your responsibility. 

Going from 100mg clozapine to a fraction of that dose is quite an accomplishment. If you feel you need continue on a tiny dose, that's not a shame, it's taking care of yourself.

You're right. Thanks for the wise words.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I take it that means I can get off the drugs when I'm at the lowest dosage.

@ Shep:

Thank you for all the links and such, but I don't see why you can't answer my question. In fact, I would really appreciate it if you would tell me what your answer is.

Hi, Neonic.

Please don't think I am purposely avoiding answering your question. 

You can most assuredly come off the drugs. And we can help with a slow and careful taper plan.  But whether or not you will stay off them is a bigger concern. You are young,  in your early twenties. You can get off these drugs, but you will need to find other ways of handling your suicidal thoughts and impulses, explore other ways of coping. 

So my answer is a "yes, but you will need to do the work".

Once you are off the drugs, your emotions may be very intense. You will need to find ways of self soothing, of calming, of reassuring yourself that you are okay. Being young means also being impulsive, so this is also something you will have to work with.

You first joined SA about 18 months ago after only a few weeks use.  And it's 18 months later and you're still dealing with these drugs. So it's important that you learn what you need to do to stay off them. 

You mentioned that you have a friend to talk to, but do you have a counselor, preferably someone who can't prescribe drugs that you can talk to? Many of us ended up having problems due to trauma, so if that's the case, having someone to talk to may be helpful. Also, good nutrition is important. Getting fresh air and exercise is important, although this may be difficult to do during withdrawal. 

Most important, you have to be able to handle your extreme emotions as you come off the drug. You mentioned being a bit overwhelmed by the new dopamine. This is very common, so learning how to navigate through this is important. 

Whether or not you can come off psych drugs AND stay off them are two separate questions. Please re-read your thread, as we've provided some excellent coping skills and information for "not getting caught" back up in the mental health system again. 

As you'll find if you read the link and watch the video I posted, these drugs can cause long term damage and a much poorer quality of life. Best to work on the non-drug coping skills and find a purpose in life that gives you meaning. This is so much better than staying on drugs that numb the mind and body and cause more medical problems over the years. 

May I ask you a few questions?  What non-drug coping skills interest you? These are some to get you started:

Non-drug coping skills

How are you spending your time? Do you work or are you in college? Having a purpose, finding meaning, having goals are all a part of the process. The best antidepressant in the world is having a life-long passion and the ability to follow through on your dreams. This may not happen right away, but I'm finding that being off these mind-numbing drugs makes it more likely to happen. 

As Alto said, if you end up back in the mental health system, you will be prescribed more drugs and in much higher dosages. We don't want that to happen again. 

Please don't think I am purposely avoiding answering your question. 

OK, I understand!

You can most assuredly come off the drugs. And we can help with a slow and careful taper plan.  But whether or not you will stay off them is a bigger concern. You are young,  in your early twenties. You can get off these drugs, but you will need to find other ways of handling your suicidal thoughts and impulses, explore other ways of coping. 

So my answer is a "yes, but you will need to do the work".

Awesome to hear your answer! 
Understood (about the work and staying off them).

Once you are off the drugs, your emotions may be very intense. You will need to find ways of self soothing, of calming, of reassuring yourself that you are okay. Being young means also being impulsive, so this is also something you will have to work with.

You first joined SA about 18 months ago after only a few weeks use.  And it's 18 months later and you're still dealing with these drugs. So it's important that you learn what you need to do to stay off them. 

Okay. You're right.

You mentioned that you have a friend to talk to, but do you have a counselor, preferably someone who can't prescribe drugs that you can talk to? Many of us ended up having problems due to trauma, so if that's the case, having someone to talk to may be helpful. Also, good nutrition is important. Getting fresh air and exercise is important, although this may be difficult to do during withdrawal. 

No, I don't have someone like that. 

Most important, you have to be able to handle your extreme emotions as you come off the drug. You mentioned being a bit overwhelmed by the new dopamine. This is very common, so learning how to navigate through this is important. 

Whether or not you can come off psych drugs AND stay off them are two separate questions. Please re-read your thread, as we've provided some excellent coping skills and information for "not getting caught" back up in the mental health system again. 

Sure. I see. I will.

"As you'll find if you read the link and watch the video I posted, these drugs can cause long term damage and a much poorer quality of life. Best to work on the non-drug coping skills and find a purpose in life that gives you meaning. This is so much better than staying on drugs that numb the mind and body and cause more medical problems over the years.

Definitely much better.

"May I ask you a few questions?  What non-drug coping skills interest you?"

Sure you can. Um, I don't know if these count but movies, music, spirituality and religion, video games, walking, travel all help me cope.

"These are some to get you started:

Non-drug coping skills"

Thanks, I'll check them out.

"How are you spending your time? Do you work or are you in college?"

I'm at home with no work or studies, but I plan on getting my first job as soon as possible.

"Having a purpose, finding meaning, having goals are all a part of the process. The best antidepressant in the world is having a life-long passion and the ability to follow through on your dreams." 

That sounds really nice to me.

"This may not happen right away, but I'm finding that being off these mind-numbing drugs makes it more likely to happen.

Yeah, for sure.

"As Alto said, if you end up back in the mental health system, you will be prescribed more drugs and in much higher dosages. We don't want that to happen again." 

Yep. Me neither, that's the last thing I want.

Thank you for all the advice. I've taken it all on board. This is a great community.

BTW: I maxed out the number of quote boxes I could make so halfway through I resorted to quotation marks and underlining instead to differentiate your words and my words.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sure you can. Um, I don't know if these count but movies, music, spirituality and religion, video games, walking, travel all help me cope.

Yes, those definitely count. Those sound like excellent coping activities. 

Yes, those definitely count. Those sound like excellent coping activities.

Good.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

Reduced it to 75mg last night. Felt quite overwhelmed initially but then I went to sleep and after I woke up it was clear how much better I felt. Feel much more alive. Feel better than I have since October 2015!

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Neonic.

Going from 100 mg to 75 mg is a 25% reduction, which may be too much of a drop. Please note that psychiatric drugs are notorious for a delayed withdrawal. 

Please be careful. 

Hi, Neonic.

Going from 100 mg to 75 mg is a 25% reduction, which may be too much of a drop. Please note that psychiatric drugs are notorious for a delayed withdrawal. 

Please be careful. 

OK, thanks for the advice.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• 1 month later...
The feeling of being overwhelmed in my head that I was getting since reducing Clozapine has completely gone! And I know why: After practicing celibacy - total abstinence from sexuality - for 3 months, the withdrawal symptoms (feeling overwhelmed in my head) have gone. My brain and body has been strengthened and become much healthier in every way because I'm not damaging my body and brain with porn and masturbation. One of the benefits that has come from my long-term abstinence is greater enjoyment in life, and that is counteracting the dull depressive state that is induced by anti-psychotics.

I know this may be controversial, but I'm only posting this so this may help people. Anything that can cure the terrible symptoms that people on this forum and elsewhere suffer because of those destructive drugs ought to be shared.

Clozapine 50mg a night.

• 2 years later...

Hello @neonic how are you feeling?

Jan 2017 to Sept 2017 -Daxid.  100mg + Sizodon 1mg 

October 2017 to Dec 2017  -T.Serilift.   100 mg

January 2018 to March2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg + Zisper plus

April 2018 to May 2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg 

Aug 2018 to Nov 2018- Daxid 50mg + Sizodon 1mg

Stopped CT in Nov 2018

May 2019 to December 2019 -300 mg gabapentin and 2.5 mg Trinicalm plus tablet-ContainsTrifluoperazine (2.5 mg) + Trihexyphenidyl (1mg)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Neonic9: clozapine / Clozaril victim