SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cipro, Levaquin, Azithromycin (Z-Pack), and other antibiotics

wdtony

Soooo, I went to the doctor to get a different antibiotic, she looked up my results online and said I didn't have an infection and wouldnt need to take an antibiotic anyways. I had blood in my urine, but that is common with interstitial cystitis (bladder condition). I asked about the the leukocytes on the dipstick and I guess it was a bit of contamination.....(lovely), but not an infection. The pain was from ovulation, which I told the ER doc and that I didn't have any burning on urination. I am thankful I don't need to take anything now, a little frustrated that the ER doc put me on antibiotics before confirming whether I had an infection. I am not sure how things work, but wouldn't a follow up phone call to tell me that all is good and to stop taking the antibiotics. I am just glad when they gave me a ciprofloxacin tablet in the ER I put it in my purse when she turned around instead of swallowing it. (had to find more about this drug first before ingesting it. I am sure the doc would not have understood. ). Thanks everyone for all your input. I am now prepared for if it ever happens again. I think I would try the D mannose first. Anjje glad your feeling better. Annie

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

Hey Annie,

Great News!!

On another note, have you ever had this problem before? According to IChelp.org (Interstitial Cystitis organization), IC is usually diagnosed when symptoms are present for 6 weeks. I believe it is confirmed by cystoscopy (scope up the urethra into the bladder). It is a very debilitating and painful condition. From what you posted, I would not suspect that you have this condition. Check out the website for more information. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

I was diagnosed with IC when I was twenty and used to go for weekly installations of a medicine in my bladder. Now it only flares when I ovulate, if I even had a correct diagnosis. I am really wondering these days.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

• Administrator

[Merged some of our antibiotics topics.]

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Follow up on my recent UTI and treatment with Bactrim. Within 12 hours of taking the initial tablet, I knew I was on the rode to recovery. My culture and sensitivity (C&S) came back stating that the bacteria responsible was sensitive to sulfanimides - I was on the "right" antibiotic. The day after I stopped taking it, my UTI came back. I do not have any bladder spasms, frequency or urgency, but have some slight stinging upon urination with gross hematuria (visible blood in urine).

Went back to urgent care yesterday and they did another urinalysis. My bacteria load is 15 which has reduced considerably, but should be less than 10(as in 10,000). I am spilling 3+ erythrocytes (blood). I cannot take quinolones due to benzo interaction and my doc is doing the right thing by sending me to a urologist for recurrent UTI which should have been responsive to the Bactrim. He put me on Macrobid as a prophylaxis to the UTI ascending to the kidneys and referred me to a urologist to rule out the scary stuff and make sure that when I void (urinate) that I do not have post-residual urine left in the bladder due to strictures or structural defects. I went to a urologist over 25 years ago due to recurrent UTI unresponsive to first line treatment, and had a cystoscopy (bladder scope) which revealed some strictures. I had a small office procedure and never had a recurrence.

I endorse my doc for referring me to a urologist to get a thorough exam to rule out the bad stuff. I scheduled my appt with recommended urologist for Monday July 2 and all copies of my labs have been sent to the new doc. Will post update. Take home lesson: Recurrent UTI despite treatment with appropriate antibiotic is grounds for further investigation. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I had a root canal recently and the dentist didn't do a very good job. Went to another dentist yesterday for a second opinion. Alot of pain. He gave me Rx for Amoxicillian which I've taken over the years...no problem.

I ended up with hives. Pharmacist said to taken Bendryl. Knocked me out, but worked. Had to take Rx 800mgs. Ibuprofen.

I believe the tapering or just being on Celexa caused this reaction. Sensitivities we talk about.

Dogs got sick last night. My fault I did not add their usual dog food to chicken. So from 2am on.....I was up and out with them and smashed on benadryl.

Will call new dentist and ask for another Rx for antibiotic. I know I can take Cipro. Years back I got hives from Erythromyacin, so that is out too.

Today my friend is having her husband's respirator removed, so I have to hurry up and get to the hospital by 10am.

Anyone else have allergic reactions, suggestions for another antibiotic?

Happy 4th ;)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

See above.

You should let your doctor know of your allergic reactions and ask him to choose an appropriate antibiotic that has the least chance of adverse effects.

I'm allergic to Cipro, myself.

• 10 months later...

H was planning on moving home and beginning counseling this week. In his fourth month without Lexapro. Last week he went to GP and was diagnosed with bronchitis, given steroid

shot and the antibiotic Levaquin (750 mg). Within four days, he changed completely, becoming very irritated, then on Friday texting saying he wasn't moving in, wasn't going to counseling.

Is this just another wave or can it be attributed to the medicine?

Also, he took his last Levaquin on Friday. How long before the effects wear off?

Husband took Lexapro for supposed depression September-December 2012

Became distant after increasing to 20mg middle of September

Left home November

Went off pills cold turkey in January. Cut to 10mg for two weeks, then to 0

Went back on sporactically in April because of physical symptoms, mainly brain zaps

Off completely end of April 2013

Rollercoaster of emotions toward me for the next year

Has not had positive feelings for me since April '14, extremely hostile

Divorced me May '15

• Administrator

dmp, I added your post to this discussion.

People have found that taking steroids or antibiotics does sometimes exacerbate withdrawal symptoms. Antibiotics act on the whole body and may affect the nervous system and stomach as well.

It's always a good idea to use probiotics and digestive enzymes to help the stomach recover from antibiotics.

You might discuss this with your son.

• 6 months later...

Hi There,

I am now 19 months into my lexapro withdrawal. Last week I was prescribed Klacid 250mg twice a day for acute sinusitis. After the second dosage I started feeling some weird sensations in my left arm, like there was numb patch. This then progressed to both my legs and I also have pins and needles/ feels like a tight band sometimes on areas of my face, as well as burning sensations down my arms and weakness in my left arm.  I took the tablets for 6 days and I belive I have had a severe reaction. I've been looking up my symptoms and it sounds like neuropathy? Please has anyone had this?? Will it go away on its own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).

2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)

Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.

Feb 2012 - April 2012 - Weekly drops of Lexapro and CT.

Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

• Administrator

Go to drugs.com and look up adverse reactions to Klacid http://www.drugs.com/clarithromycin.html

Those sensations might be called parasthesia.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/amoxicillin-clarithromycin-and-lansoprazole-side-effects.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou Altostrato. I am now 20 months out since discontinuing Lexapro cold turkey after 4-5 year use. Since stopping I have had numbness on the left side of my face, tight band feeling around my legs, pins and needs in my left shoulder blade and I get pins and needles in my hands and feet at times. All of this started after I disconitnued Lexapro, but it seems it is really really bad at the moment and it seems that the antibiotics I was on has made things worse (almost like its flared it up and now I am ultra sensitive to everything). Is it normal for this parasthesia to intensify this far out of disconinuation? I have had and MRI to rule out MS.

2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).

2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)

Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.

Feb 2012 - April 2012 - Weekly drops of Lexapro and CT.

Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

Hi MissMellie......

Amazing I am in Florida and you are in Queensland.  This site brings so many people together from all over the globe.

I have had many adverse reactions to antibiotics while tapering Lexapro.  I am prone to UTI's.  My BFF told me that she noticed that when I was tapering and tooks AB's there was a pattern.

My biggest symptom was anxiety particularly from Cipro (the quinolone family of meds).  The Psych nurse looked it up and yes, they do affect our nervous system.  The other antibiotics bothered me too.  Tired, anxious, depressed. Overall lousy feeling.

Like Alto said google side effects.  For me they are more so when in a taper......alot of people tapering have experienced this.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

I have adverse reactions to anti biotics at any time, not allergies but they do make me feel

much more ill than the illness they are prescribed for. It is usually just a short course so I 

just persevere through it until it's finished. Some are worse than others and my doctor 

will give me whatever has least side effects.

While in withdrawal everything is magnified so I think if I were to need then during withdrawal

the side effects would be much worse. Thankfully I haven't needed them in withdrawal or

while tapering.  I hope these sensations settle down for you, they sound most unpleasant!

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I have a kidney and bladder infection confirmed by a Culture test. I just spoke to my Doctor and i have the results infront of me. The following antibiotics will work for the bacteria:

- Cefazolin/Cephalexin (Looks like a good one to take, please advise)
- Augmentin (Wont take, had massive adverse reaction)
- Gentamicin
- Cotrimoxazole 
- Nitrofurantoin (Looks like a bad idea to take)

Which one would cause the least of problems and is the safest to take (Least side effects)

I would really appreciate any feedback, thank you

(Sorry i just copied and pasted this as i feel too tired to type all of this again)

Is the Cefazolin my best bet and is it safe?

Edited by Altostrata
corrected BBcode

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I'm not a physician, but I can at least listen and give some moral support.  I find it odd that your doctor didn't prescribe one!  Given that you had an adverse reaction to Augmentin, I also find it odd that you were given the option not only for Augmentin again, but also for cefazolin/cephalexin.  This is Keeflex, another penacillin related drug just like Augmentin.  If you had an adverse reaction to one, the other is contraindicated- i.e. you'd probably have the same reaction to it that you had with Augmentin.  With the remaining three, you may still need to take price into account, as antibiotic vary wildly in pricing.  Gentamicin is a workhorse and cheap.  It's even effective against MRSA!  Knowing nothing further bout you, if I HAD to prescribe one, I'd choose gentamicin or cotrimoxazole. Remember, I'm not a physician, and all I know about you is that you ave a UTI and had a bad reaction to Augmentin,  I myself have had massive experience with antibiotics, as I have Lyme disease and need to stay on either IV or oral antibiotics at all times.  Aside fro being allergic to a couple (the main thing to watch out for with abx) I've had absolutely no problems with any.  I'm sensitive to drugs, but can start and stop massive doses of abx with no problems.  In comparison to psychoactive drugs, they're relatively benign.  Sorry that I couldn't give specific medical advice.  Maybe your pharmacist could help you further, but I wouldn't get too concerned about taking an antibiotic for a week anyway.

Right now I'm on ciprofloxacin for a UTI myself, and didn't blink at it once.  I was just happy it cost only $5 and is doing it's job well.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

I took nitrofurantoin and it upset my stomach badly, also killed off all my good bacteria. I took probiotics for weeks before I felt better.

Whatever you take, make sure you take a good dose of live probiotics, but at a different time than the antibiotic because the drug will kill 'em off.

I have had chronic issues over the years with UTI's.  It depends on the bacteria.  I am assuming that the results from the culture have give the choices you mentioned above.

I found Cephalaxin to have the least side effects.  I tolerated it well. Augmentin will most likely do nothing. 

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Chris Kresser on protecting your gut from antibiotics by taking probiotics http://chriskresser.com/what-to-do-if-you-need-to-take-antibiotics

hi i kinda have throat infection and need an advice on anti biotic. i took augmentin. my anxiety goes up like hell. doctor have no idea why.

im in the middle of wd. so i guess my cns is very sensitive. :(.

Seroxat10mg/Lexapro 5 Mg ( Half Tablet ) since Jan 2012Seroxat 7mg Feb 2012Seroxat 5mg March 2013Seroxat 2.5 mg April2013, Off TranxeneLexapro 1.25 mg April 2013Off Lexapro 14 April 2013Reinstated Tranxene since 16 April (Heavy Insomnia and low agitating at night.)Reinstated Lexapro 1.25mg + tanxeme 5 mg 28 April 2013 (still experience insomnia and agitatin at night only.)Lexapro 2.5 mg + 5 mg tranxene + Zypraxa 2.5 mg 15 May 2013 (still agitating and getting worse)Seroxat 5 mg + 5 mg tranxene 20 May 2013 (anxious at night. Heavy Head)Seroxat 6 mg + 5 mg tranxene 24 May 2013 (dizziness and light headache)Seroxat 10mg + 5 mg tranxene 1 June 2013 (pDoc adviced... i shouldn't follow..dam)<p>Lexapro 5mg 20 June 2013
Lexapro 2.5 mg 1 Aug 2013
Lexapro 1.25 mg 21 Aug 2013
off 11 September 2013

current : 1g vitamin C + 300 mg magnisium + 3mg melatonin and Valerian root ( 4-5 a.m. ) working alright.

I have decided for me, personally, to not take antiobiotics for things not extremely serious, or my kids. It's too risky. I know that doesn't help you any! Hope you feel better soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

[merged similar topics]

hi guys i have found 2 anti biotic with less side effect from doctor 1.Dalacin 2.Omnicef (stronger) so i tested Dalacin. turn out a lot less side effect than augmentin and cipro (two of thsee cause so much anxiety for me.

this one i have no adverse reaction for me. taken before meal 15 mins. i share it here if anyone looking for some anti biotic with less side effect to cns.

Seroxat10mg/Lexapro 5 Mg ( Half Tablet ) since Jan 2012Seroxat 7mg Feb 2012Seroxat 5mg March 2013Seroxat 2.5 mg April2013, Off TranxeneLexapro 1.25 mg April 2013Off Lexapro 14 April 2013Reinstated Tranxene since 16 April (Heavy Insomnia and low agitating at night.)Reinstated Lexapro 1.25mg + tanxeme 5 mg 28 April 2013 (still experience insomnia and agitatin at night only.)Lexapro 2.5 mg + 5 mg tranxene + Zypraxa 2.5 mg 15 May 2013 (still agitating and getting worse)Seroxat 5 mg + 5 mg tranxene 20 May 2013 (anxious at night. Heavy Head)Seroxat 6 mg + 5 mg tranxene 24 May 2013 (dizziness and light headache)Seroxat 10mg + 5 mg tranxene 1 June 2013 (pDoc adviced... i shouldn't follow..dam)<p>Lexapro 5mg 20 June 2013
Lexapro 2.5 mg 1 Aug 2013
Lexapro 1.25 mg 21 Aug 2013
off 11 September 2013

current : 1g vitamin C + 300 mg magnisium + 3mg melatonin and Valerian root ( 4-5 a.m. ) working alright.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Serious adverse reactions to fluoroquinolone antibiotics (FQs) have been reported in medical journals and to the FDA since the 1980s.  Here is a letter to The United States Senate Committee on Health from the site MedicationSense.com asking for more warnings and further study because of findings that these drugs injure human DNA:

http://medicationsense.com/articles/2014/letter.php

Reported symptoms include tingling, numbness, burning pain, twitching, and/or severe weakness,  sustained injuries to other vital systems: agitation, impaired cognitive function, intractable insomnia, hallucinations, psychosis, acute manic episode, joint or muscle pain, or tendon rupture. In many cases, toxicities also involve the cardiovascular and gastrointestinal systems, skin, and sight or hearing.

If possible, please avoid these particular antibiotics:  Levaquin, Cipro, Avelox, Floxin, Norfolk, Factive

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Alto, could we make this a sticky? I know people are always asking what antibiotics to take.

These are the antibiotics i can tolerate in withdrawal. I have severe med sensitivity, so i guess most people in withdrawal will be ok with them.

- Amoxicillin

- PenicillinV

- Azithromycin

- Chefazolin

- Cephalexin

Antibiotics i cant tolerate:

- Augmentin

- All Fluoroquinolones (Never taken because of the serious adverse effects reported)

- Clindamycin

- Doxycycline

- Erythromycin

- Metronidazol

- Purbac

Just thought it might be useful to some people. Its bad t have an adverse reaction to antibiotics. The worst was Augmentin, i had severe vertigo for 2 months. Very very severe and a candida infection that was horrendous. That after only 2 days

•  

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Thanks Olivia, for the info.  I haven't needed antibiotics recently, but early in withdrawal I did several times.

I'm more sensitive to meds now, so this info will give me a place to start if the need comes up. Thanks!

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, I have been staying away from Forums for quite a long time.I m in my 8 year of prolonged withdrawal with many ups and downs and I m still not recovered ,BUT:

from about May till July the first time I mentally felt very very good and I had glimpses of my old me AND even better, I really could be thankful and I had wishes for my future and hope and desire.....also still fatigue and other stuff lingering.

Then unfortunately I had to go for a jaw surgery and I could not avoid taking an AB.So I took Amoxicillin.With the first pill I went  dredfully weak,stiff neck and feeling ill,but I thought ok-5 days and you will be fine again. When I stopped I could not believe what happend-it was like stopping an SSRI-I got akathesia,anxiety ,tingling all over my body and then I got very very sick like in the very beginning of withdrawal-and  still I am.It feels like a Little Trauma-a repetition of a bad dream.

It has been 8 weeks now and I am in bed nearly the whole day.Depression god thanks I only had the first week.But how can this happen?

I don t believe it is a real setback,because I found many stories from people who reacted the very same,got very ill from an antibiotic,and they were healthy before.So this even scares me more and I must be prepared that this could stay with me for a while.

I had this operation after my accident 2 years ago-there it felt just like getting worse for a while but this time it feels like I had taken an SSRI again.

so far,l solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hello solida. I'm so sorry this all happened to you. I actually ended up on ssris because of a reaction to augmentin which contains amoxicillin. I got akathisia on it and I hadn't taken ssris then. To give you some hope, I was recovering from the reaction before I stupidly went on ssris. I think I would have healed quite quickly. Hopefully, this will just be a blip for you. Drinking lots of water will help flush out the antibiotics.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi solida. You might want to start a topic in the Introductions section introducing yourself. People may not see your topic here.

I hope you're ok.

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi solida. You might want to start a topic in the Introductions section introducing yourself. People may not see your topic here.

I hope you're ok.

I already have one here.

well,, I m in a really bad place .lg

disabled since

Ah..sorry about that. I'm so sorry to hear you are in such a bad place.

29 June 2014 - med free

I had a severe adverse reaction to augmentin (Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid) and that definitely set me back. It took 6 months for those symptoms to get better.

Your nervous system is still very fragile. Do you maybe think its the jaw surgery that caused this wave? Ive seen it many times before. People go for surgery and they get hit by a bad wave. I believe its the anesthetics. Ive had bad experiences with amoxicillin too, but nothing like you describe.

Hi Solida

So sorry to hear that the surgery/antibiotic has had this effect.

It's such a great sign that you experienced a good window and also that the depression you had after taking the antibiotic receded after a week.

In my experience, these windows get better and longer.

I speak to CITAp ( a British withdrawal charity) and they suggest taking a good strong probiotic like acidophilus with high levels of good bacteria, after taking antibiotics. As antibiotics can really affect gut flora and deplete good bacteria.

CITAp also say that it is very common thing for antibiotics to affect withdrawal & cause withdrawal symptoms to show up.

As with any supplements in w/d, do exercise caution though.

Take care, hoping that you see improvements soon,

Gem

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Hi,

it definetely was the antibiotic,not the surgery.Because I was in such a good place when I took the first pill,I immediately felt the change: stiff neck,

weakness and a feeling of beeing closed in my body.And when I stopped-thi was two days after ther surgery-the horror began.

Well,I m a little bit better than in the first 4 weeks,but it is just sad.

I remember,that a member here-I think Dawn B had a similiar reaction.

The question is,do I will react to every AB in the future like this-or was it ONLY the amoxicillin?

lg solida

disabled since

Good to hear you are doing a little better Solida.

Hope that you continue to improve xx

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy