SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SquirrellyGirl: Effexor withdrawal etc

SquirrellyGirl

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brass, yes, I will hold here for a good bit before commencing tapering.  I know I did a rather fast cross taper between the dry SolTabs and the liquid version.  I guess my reasoning was that the dry SolTab would quickly dissolve once in my stomach and be basically the same as the dissolved version.  

Very happy for you that you are so close to being done with your taper!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SquirrellyGirl

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• leahy

Top Posters In This Topic

Your days of freedom will come SquirrelyGirl. It won't be easy- but it'll be worth it.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, RCC!

Had a stressful day.  One of our dogs has not wanted to eat for several days and yesterday I discovered he had a very high fever.  Took him to the emergency vet today because it was still high.  Platelets really low, so he had to stay there.  This could have sunk me into a wave but so far hasn't, maybe because I feel hopeful it is a tick borne disease that is treated by the antibiotic they put him on.  Yesterday I was losing ground because I was worried it was cancer.  My thoughts do increase my suffering.

I'm so glad the taurine seems to be helping your cortisol surges, so great!  Knock on wood!

SG 

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Best wishes for your doggie. Thoughts do increase the suffering. But they can also decrease it- though at times it can be hard to steer them.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Several weeks ago another of my dogs got sick, nearly 16 years old,  and I thought I was going to lose her. It threw me into another wave.  She made it through and so did I.  Now my younger dog is sick and had to have a small surgery a couple of days ago to remove a foxtail (a type of grass awn that sticks into the body and keeps on going, causing abscesses) and I felt nothing, no fear but also no real compassion for him.  Disturbing.

I am in a phone support group where we call group members and do CBT type work in each other's presence, with the listener offering non-judgemental support. I've been finding myself unable to feel compassion for the other's distress as they work through the emotions, like I've become desensitized, deadened.  Of course I think "am I stuck like this forever?"  I long for the day where I can feel the full range of emotions again.  Feeling true joy would be nice!  I actually felt tearful writing that, so that's something!

I know that I have been emotionally numbed out for most of the years I have been on these meds, though I could certainly react extremely to stress and have crying fits.  That has gotten better as I have reduced.  Last weekend, we had a dinner party which required major spring cleaning all the week prior, and such events in the past while on Effexor would cause me so much distress that I would have meltdowns and be short-tempered.  That didn't happen this time!  

Though we recommend tapering one drug at a time, I have been nudging the Effexor down little by little as I focus on the Remeron, and this has worked really well for me.  My greatest dependency was on the Effexor, having been on it for 12 years, so I think going down an average of 0.66 mg of Effexor/month is pretty non-threatening :-)  I've actually been going really slow on the Remeron lately as well due to the upsets I had with my dogs.

Getting there slowly but surely...

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

That's the thing about SSRI's, they numb all the emotions, both the positive and negative. They are not antidepressants, but rather, anti-emotions. That's how they work. They're not at all selective.

Maybe, one day they'll invent one that is truly selective and only targets the negative emotions, but life is about experiencing both the sad and the happy. How can you appreciate true happiness if you've never experienced deep sadness? 

The emotions will all come back eventually, SG. We have all this to look forward to. I suspect It will be like being born again. 

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Hi SG-- it's good to hear that the other pup is doing fine too.  Fox tails are truly a pain.  We watch out for them, but a couple of our dogs have had them too, no fun for all involved.  I find that my empathy comes and goes in the windows and waves pattern with no real triggers involved.  The past several weeks I have been sliding to the less caring side.  I'm even having trouble reading posts here.  I'm finding them very overpowering and just have to walk away a lot of the time.  It'll pass in a week or so and be back to normal. It sounds like you're making some great improvements though, like you said slow and steady.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for visiting, Brass and Dan.  I'm glad I'm not the only one, a sentiment we hear a lot around here, eh?

I just can't believe I spent so many years of my life not even being aware of the chemical lobotomy I had undergone!  I suspect it will be like a rebirth when done with this chapter of our lives!  Wow, just had a burst of emotion again with that thought!  

It's one thing to have the physical manifestations of withdrawal, but altogether strange to feel fine otherwise but have the emotional manifestations that are so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable.

I hear you, Brass, on feeling like you have to step away at times.

On a good note, I spent some time this morning pulling some horrid weeds, an activity I'd been dragging my feet on, so I'm always happy when I actually get the gumption up to do such things.  Small blessings!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Just visited WaitButWhy which I just LOVE and read this blog, fits me to a T.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/03/procrastination-matrix.html

It's a long entry, but by god does it make sense of my procrastination problem:  I've got a gigantic Instant Gratification Monkey!  And I think my years on drugs have made him grow even bigger than he was before meds.

The meds have made the activities my Monkey used to enjoy become less enjoyable, and his ideas that pop up dissipate quickly.  Right now, all my monkey wants to do is surf the web and spend lots of time on SA!  At least helping others lends the latter activity some value :-)

SG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, made a 5% reduction of venlafaxine on Monday, and if anything it lifted the heaviness I was having in the mornings.  Here it is Friday and I feel pretty darn good!  About the only symptoms I'm experiencing are an increased rate of muscle flutters and a vague burning sensation at the tip of my tongue.  I've had the odd muscle flutter, a single point in a large muscle where I can feel the muscle twitching and can see it, and thought that everyone got them, but this week I have had them multiple times, much more frequent than ever before.  This week they have been in the thigh and triceps muscles.

Knock on wood that I don't slide into worse symptoms as the days progress.  I've been quite active this week in the morning hours but then take the afternoon to rest.

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Great news, SG!

The lifting of heaviness is a tremendous sign that your body wants less of the drug.

Happy for you.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Happy for a great Friday, SG!

You are in my prayer for a smooth reduction!

Hugs,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi SG

I'm so happy to see u in good shape.

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 
Also taking Ativan since January 2mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Hardy, Andy, and LexAnger!  I am so happy to be out functioning without awareness of "anything" withdrawal or side-effect-wise!  

I train herding dogs and have two under my roof right now, with big demands on me physically and mentally to train them each day, and I feel very solid while doing so!  I get tired and so have my down-time in the afternoon, but that's ok!  I also have a bit more motivation!  Yesterday I changed the automatic transmission fluid and filter on my pick-up truck, something I'd been dragging my heels on FOREVER!  Today I hope to get to the engine oil change :-)

Hardy, how are doing after your incident with the antibiotic? Are you recovering?  I hope so!

SG

Hi SG,

You have made such great strides in your taper!

Trying to find out some more information on tapering using the mirtazapine soltab.

If I may, I was wondering if I could ask you if you have had any problems with air bubbles in the syringes and even more annoyingly on the rubber portion of the plunger? If so, how did you get rid of them?

Also, are you heating the water prior to mixing the soltab?
One more question, if I may, did you ever mix a dose earlier in the day and put it in the fridge for later?

Thank you if you are able to answer!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Johanna, 

I am not heating the water.  I put the 15 mg SolTab in the tube I use to measure and mix in and add about 7 ml room temp reversis osmosis water. The tab almost immediately disintegrates, though it will will still settle to the bottom.  I shake and then add enough OraPlus suspension vehicle to bring the volume to 15 ml to create a 1 mg/ml solution.  Shake well, and the mirt stays in solution for quite awhile.  I take 11.5 ml, save the rest in the fridge in another tube.  Each night I make a new batch and save the remainder until I have enough in the second tube for an 11.5 ml dose, four days.  I haven't had any trouble with strength falling off with this method.  

As for air bubbles, I have found that if I draw up a dose in the syringe and it has air bubbles, I expel it back in the tube, shake and then draw up again, and this time there won't be bubbles.  It's important to keep the tip well-submerged in the solution as you draw it up so as to not inadvertently suck up air.

I hope that helps!

SG

If you hold the syringe with the tip up and tap on it all the bubbles will rise to the tip and you can squeeze them out, then draw in a little more liquid if needed.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Squirrelly, you said on Chicago's thread:

I think my pain was due to the fact that tendons and ligaments are apparently affected by serotonin and so the drugs themselves affect tendons and ligaments, perhaps making it easier to get injured.

My physio / occupational therapist has noticed more chronic tendon / ligament injuries with people on antidepressants than people not on antidepressants.  We talked about it a great deal.  (maybe I've mentioned this, but in case I didn't here it is again).

She thought about collagen. 

And I thought about my thyroid, which, when it is unwell, produces less collagen.  

If you (or any of my friends) are tending toward tendon pain and injury - please get your thyroid checked. I suspect these drugs chew through thyroid as fast as anything else they do to the endocrine system.

We don't have proof yet, it seems to be correlation and anecdote, but worthy of a look.  See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1593-thyroid-symptoms-hypothyroid-hashimotos/ to find the relevant labs.

It sounds like you're doing really well - go girl!!!!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Squirrelly, you said on Chicago's thread:

I think my pain was due to the fact that tendons and ligaments are apparently affected by serotonin and so the drugs themselves affect tendons and ligaments, perhaps making it easier to get injured.

My physio / occupational therapist has noticed more chronic tendon / ligament injuries with people on antidepressants than people not on antidepressants.  We talked about it a great deal.  (maybe I've mentioned this, but in case I didn't here it is again).

Wow i also felt this was the case.

I would add susceptable to increased muscle tears or strains cramps.

Maybe these drugs shorten/shrink tendons ligaments and muscles. I can remember saying once in pp in wdl that i felt i had lost all my suppleness.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe these drugs shorten/shrink tendons ligaments and muscles. I can remember saying once in pp in wdl that i felt i had lost all my suppleness.

Collagen improves tissue elasticity.  That is why "aging creams" claim to "boost it" (bogus claim)  We naturally lose collagen as we age, but smoking, sugar, lifestyle and autoimmune disorders can reduce collagen.

I know when my thyroid is low because my joints feel weak, like they could injure easily.  AND they hurt more.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/621339-hypothyroidism-collagen.html

I encourage anyone with chronic "tendonitis" or joint pain or RSI that doesn't get better - to get your thyroid checked.  Especially if they have psych drug experience.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that, JC - I am thinking it is time for an annual physical with such testing.  I'd like to know nutrient levels.  I started taking methylated folate and B12 on the off chance I have the MTHFR mutation(s) - am waiting for genome results, just HAD to know - and am wondering if I should stop taking them before having labs to see what my baseline might be, or go ahead and have labs done while taking them.  If I quit, how long might a washout period be for those? What other levels should I ask to have checked?

I think Effexor has done a number on my connective tissue for ages.  Granted, I did sprain my ankles a couple of times before meds, but have sprained them a good additional few times each since.  And I had chronic plantar fasciitis for YEARS while on it.  Thankfully, that has not been a problem of late, perhaps because I am reducing and am just 58% of my reinstatement dose of 37.5 mg.  The elbow is a bit better lately, too.

SG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so I AM compound heterozygous for MTHFR, but I've learned something; don't take those methylated supplements until you know the full story.  I have other snps that make me less tolerant of methy donors!  I also have a BDNF snp (double recessive) that is strongly linked to INTROVERSION (me!) and short term memory and motor skill issues.  Well, I can agree with that!  I assume this means that BDNF is lower in those who have the snp than the wild type.  May explain why I was so shy all my life.  Interesting that this snp is associated with anorexia and bulimia, the latter of which I suffered from.  Amazing what you find out from your genome!

So, I just came out of a low energy/morning brain fog wave, and I'm not sure if it coincided with tapering or stopping the methyl B12 I ran out of last week.  I'm just glad I woke to feeling a little more alert and able to be active.   Motivation still isn't good, but slightly better than when I was in the lead-suit phase.

Taking it a bit more seriously to eliminate fortified foods from my diet since I am 50% less able to metabolize folate than wild type.  Trying to figure out the methylation cycle and what my next best step is. 

I made an appointment with an internist who I saw on Tuesday.  She asked why am I coming off my antidepressants - aren't I worried about getting depressed again?  When I told her I had the MTHFR mutations and wanted testing to see where my levels of folate/B12/homocysteine were, she said she didn't believe in any of that genetic testing stuff and that she only orders tests she deems necessary!  Sound familiar?!!!

Considering I was always shy, lacking self-esteem and confidence, undermined myself when I graduated college, not believing in myself, etc,, I want to believe that maybe if my methylation and other snps were supported properly, maybe I could become a different person, more confident and ambitious and successful.  Maybe I'm crazy to think that.  I want to find something to be passionate about, my purpose in life.  One can hope.

I did also learn that I am 7x's less able to benefit from Effexor and other drugs, based on one snp.  In other words, that snp prevents such drugs from crossing the blood-brain barrier.  No wonder I never felt it helped me!  Odd that my brain still got hooked on it such that protracted withdrawal occurred, but I guess when you steep your brain in a drug for 12 years, it's bound to have some impact.

This doctor ordered labs which did include folate/B12.  Well gee, that's just a given for someone 51 years old!  My last labs were two years ago and included D, which was 40 in summer with me sporting a farmer's tan from being outside in our hot climate in shorts/t-shirt, AND supplementing with D3.  She did not order that test.  She sent me off with the lab order form, with the tests checked off, that I will take to the lab.  I'm very tempted to check off D3 and T3/T4 (she only ordered TSH).  My insurance doesn't pay for labs anyway, out of pocket for me, so what the heck!

Now to continue my search for a doctor who will work with MTHFR since it is recommended by Dr. Amy Yasko and Ben Lynch that you work with your doctor.  Yasko's forum gives advise to start with just a fork-tine's worth of the supplements to see how you do, work your way up, so at least they are pretty conservative in their approach.

SG

I made an appointment with an internist who I saw on Tuesday.  

She asked why am I coming off my antidepressants - aren't I worried about getting depressed again?  

Gee SG these people are totally vacant aren't they. In light of the mountain of incriminating evidence against pharma this is completely unacceptable.

No doubt she has a lot of people drugged how do i know this? ...i just have that kind of feeling. Her statement of ignorance infers much.

Perhaps she needs a copy of 'anatomy' sent to her.... a secondhand and highlighted one of course.

Sorry you have to put up with this incompetence SG

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

SG - you are a real life "Dr Doolittle" with all your animals, lol.

I have also had the burning tongue sensation, but on the back of my tongue. This then disappeared.

Very interesting what you say about ADs affecting callogen/connective tissue.

Before I started taking ADs, I rarely if ever got injured. However, since I started taking ADs; and I was also marathon training at the time; I had a high rate of injury.

My main areas of injury (stress/strain) were: hip flexors, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, right shoulder, sciatic nerve pain down right leg, lower back.

Now, this could have been due to the fact that I was training through Canadian winters in sub-zero temps, being in my early 40s etc., but I had very good base fitness and overall body strength. I regularly worked out at the gym and cross-trained.

This summer (in the UK) also did a number on my lung function, the worst hayfever I have ever had in my life, the worst eczema, and a peak flow (exhalation) of 350. Not sure what the unit is. Brass mentioned that this could be related to shallow breathing as a result of the stress of WD.

Make of that what you will!

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

I made an appointment with an internist who I saw on Tuesday.  

She asked why am I coming off my antidepressants - aren't I worried about getting depressed again?  

Gee SG these people are totally vacant aren't they. In light of the mountain of incriminating evidence against pharma this is completely unacceptable.

No doubt she has a lot of people drugged how do i know this? ...i just have that kind of feeling. Her statement of ignorance infers much.

Perhaps she needs a copy of 'anatomy' sent to her.... a secondhand and highlighted one of course.

Sorry you have to put up with this incompetence SG

nz11

LOL, nz11!  Maybe I will watch Amazon for the one cent copies and buy them up to hand out to incompetent doctors.  Can you imagine the shock this idiot doctor would experience in opening a package addressed to her, with a copy of Anatomy inside?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall! Actually, I'd just hand the naked copy to the front desk staff with a card addressed to the good doctor, so they don't think it's a bomb or something LOL!  

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

I am posting this in symptoms and self-care as well.

Got my blood test results today.  Some disturbing findings.

Bilirubin is 1.6 mg/dL, high, range 0.2-1.2 mg/dL

RBC count 3.72 million/uL, low, range 3.8-5.1

Hematocrit 33.5%, low, range 35-45%

Hemoglobin is 11.0 g/dL, low, but normal for me and my mom runs the same

My cholesterol is the highest its ever been, though the HDL is still high enough to keep the ratio good.  My diet is not great.  I thought saturated fats had been vindicated!

I had not been supplementing D3, have been in the sun A LOT such that I am sporting quite a tan from normal activity outside, and my D is 25 ng/mL which is in the insufficiency range.  Since I know I am VDR Taq ++, this doesn't surprise me, but I'll be supplementing again.  Two years ago it was 40 but that was with supplementation, still low in my opinion since the top of the range is 100. My idiot doctor didn't include that test but since I had the form to take to the lab I added it!  She also only had TSH on there so I added free T4 and it was 0.9 ng/dL, the range being 0.8-1.8.

High bilirubin has something to do with the liver and breaking down hemoglobin, can lead to jaundice.  I am wondering if venlafaxine or mirtazapine or both are affecting my liver.  I wasn't on mirtazapine two years ago, and had just come off venlafaxine when the labs were done back then.

I think I found a functional med dr fairly near to me who takes my insurance, so I am making an appointment!

I haven't felt truly good in ages, with the fatigue and low motivation plaguing me.  I wonder if this is why.

Oh, my serum B12 was normal but my serum folate was 24 ng/mL with normal being greater than 5.  I believe serum is useless, plasma more telling.

Hmmm, what's next?

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I found a functional med dr fairly near to me who takes my insurance, so I am making an appointment!

SG,

I wanted to respond sooner but I didn't have the time to give your post the attention it deserved.  First, I think that going to a functional doctor to get some kind of look into the "root cause" of your symptoms is a worthwhile endeavor (especially if much of it is covered).  If they order a bunch of specialized tests they may not be covered so you may wind up picking and choosing or spreading it out over time.  It is good to do a "deep dive" to see if any of your symptoms are being caused by something being off in your metabolism or from something else that can be treated. Having been through the same exercise, however, my best guess is that what you are feeling is withdrawal. 

My experience was that I found a functional/integrative doc on my insurance and we did a whole bunch of tests that were not the kind you get at your garden variety doc.  Testing for things like pyroluria, parathyroid levels, MTHFR, lyme, etc. is worth doing but don't be surprised if it turns out that your systems are in pretty good shape.  Your bloodwork is "slightly off" at worst and doesn't seem like there's enough in that to be causing symptoms like yours (which are, by the way, symptoms like mine).  As you said:

I haven't felt truly good in ages, with the fatigue and low motivation plaguing me.  I wonder if this is why.

If your feeling is generally that you "just feel crappy" most of the time, I can certainly echo that sentiment.  I would guess there are lots of people on this site who would say the same thing.  I am of the view that much/most of that crappy feeling goes away as you really start seeing healing from the meds.  It would be great to hear from others who can attest to that fact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole looking for a reason OTHER THAN 20+ years of psych med use.  I still haven't found one but the temptation to blame it on something other than withdrawal burns brightly within me.  My list of possible causes (that I'm working my way through) include:

• food allergies (I did the whole 30 elimination diet and felt no real change)
  • gut issues (take a probiotic and had intestinal permeability testing done -- normal)
  • lyme disease (tested by functional doc and had it reread by a lyme literate doc)
  • sleep issues (have apnea and am in the middle of a new sleep analysis -- testing early September)
  • B12 deficiency (had it tested)

Etc., etc., etc.

I've gotten to the point where I'm getting more and more comfortable that I am suffering from 20+ years of being drugged and the effects of coming off the meds.

I say all this to give you my perspective after having traveled this road and to encourage your seeking answers so long as you don't get to the point where you are throwing good money after bad as they say.

Happy to discuss here or by PM.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for you message, Andy.  NIce to hear from someone who has gone down the rabbit hole a ways.  I think what I am looking for is more answers/explanations as to why I ever had mood issues to begin with, with the hopes that properly supporting my methylation cycle etc. will allow me to get through tapering and more likely be mentally sound once off :-)   Shoot, if I've been insufficient in vitamin D my whole life, perhaps that played into why I had problems and ended up on meds.  I'm not interested in chasing symptoms, though anemia would contribute towards the malaise, to be sure! 

Good old mirtazapine, the likely suspect in causing it and the high cholesterol.  But, can't just get off it as you well know!

I'm really not a health anxiety/hypochondriac type, and if anything have been rather negligent towards myself over the years.  I just find the information fascinating, seeing genomic results that sort of explain things, like the introversion from the BDNF snp!  I've seen many a person on this forum chasing symptoms with tests and clearly spending lots of money out of pocket, and I am a thrifty one so that won't be happening LOL! I just want to know nutrient levels so I can understand what and how much to supplement, hopefully without triggering adverse reactions.

I found it interesting to read on MTHFR.net that too much methyl folate and methy B12 can lead to symptoms that we here warn of with B vit supplementation.  Perhaps there's a relationship.  The solution apparently is low-doses of niacin.  I have learned that with my other snps, methyl B12 and methyl folate are NOT what I should be taking, so good to know!

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and support here!

SG

Hi SG

I just stopped by your thread and saw you are tapering two drugs at the same time like I am.    I made the choice last July to start tapering my second drug (Lamictal) after tapering the wonderful Remeron for 6 months. 

I just wanted to connect because there are not many others who are poly tapering. 

Hibari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

As to the bilirubin being elevated.

When I C/T two and a half years ago, I ended up exacerbating an already present problem with my gall bladder. I'd passed a gall stone about 6 months prior to my C/T.  Not pleasant. But going cold turkey made things worse- what with all of the inflammation and all.  I  ended up having it (gall bladder) yanked out. 

With 20/20 hindsight- that may not have been the best choice. But, then I didn't know what a C/T antidepressant journey is like. So I thought that the worse of it all was mostly due to the Gall Bladder difficulties. I had the full gamut of symptoms including the high bilirubin.

Just a thought. Be careful with the foods. Bland diet, etc.

Hi SG.  I agree with Andy . It's worth looking into.  :)

Much love ,

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, all!

Hibari, yes, I am tapering both but certainly not 10% of each per month! I got familiar with how I felt tapering each separately. I sort of take turns, focusing on one while micro-tapering the other, and so far this has worked out great. Over the last couple of months I held or did very small cuts of each such that my average for each was less than 5% per month.   The key is listening to the body.  

The morning drugged feeling and fatigue seem common to mirtazapine, getting to the lower doses, though I've seen some folks tapering venlafaxine complain of it, too, so paying attention to that.

Problem is, with the blood work findings, I am feeling the need to get off the mirt more pressing, so am holding the venlafaxine now and focusing on the mirt taper, 5% every two weeks.

I've got my appointment with the FM doc in 10 days so will see what she has to say about the bloods and how urgent it is. Other than being less tolerant of exercise, getting wiped out for the day if I exert myself in the morning (which is the only time I can get things done in this hot climate of ours), I am not too aware of the anemia.  Low mo is more likely due to WD as Andy said (I thought that was a PM for some reason, Andy!).

I've thought a lot about my history with Effexor.  1)  I don't recall ever feeling like it really helped 2)  I don't recall start up side effects and 3) when I came off too quickly, I did NOT have the up front WD symptoms such as dizziness and brain zaps.  So, it all made sense when I learned that I have a snp that makes Effexor less effective, prevents it from crossing the blood brain barrier!  Clearly enough did to cause withdrawal eventually, but it makes me wonder if that is in part why I could micro-taper Effexor on top of the mirtazapine taper without running into problems.  Generally not advised!

SG

hi squirrellygirl I have been reading your post and was just curious did you do your blood test of your own back or was your referred by a doctor , I have been wondering what effect the mirtazapine has been having on my health as I don't tolerate it very well , but you just can't stop it as we know , I take vitamin d and b12 supplements but I never no weather these are the right vitamins to be taking with Mirt, what sort of blood work could or should I ask for to check for any inormalaties, I believe that the Mirt is causing me side effects to be honest I don't think I motabalise it very well , just a hunch

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update time.

Terry, I had blood work done as part of an annual physical, but I had done the genomic testing which revealed my compound heterozygous MTHFR status, and that led me to want to know my folic acid and B12 status.  I have other SNPs that play into the methylation cycle that supposedly make me LESS tolerant of methyl donors for some reason, of which methyl folate and methyl B12 are, and so it wasn't so simple as to supplement those.  Still learning about this stuff.  I did learn that I was insufficient for vitamin D so needed to supplement.  The labs showed I was normal for folate and B12 but those are serum levels and don't reflect how much is getting into my cells, and that has to do with receptors which may have single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) that prevent certain forms such as folic acid and regular B12 from getting into the cells where they do their thing. So, it's complicated. Makes me wonder if this is why some people have bad reactions to supplementation, especially in withdrawal.  I wonder if withdrawal changes the epigenetics of the genes.

The blood labs also revealed the elevated cholesterol and anemia, both of which can be caused by mirt, so I am focusing my efforts on reducing mirt more than venlafaxine.

Currently at 8.5 mg mirt and 18.75 mg venlafaxin (Effexor).  That's 50% of my starting reinstatement dose after 16 months of tapering.  Currently feeling very good, though motivation and sex drive (both low) are still issues.  Sleep is still good, woohoo!

SG

Happy for you SG that you are doing good!

It won't be surprising for anything to be messed up by these CNS altering drugs.

Best luck to the rest journey!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 4 months later...
  • Mentor

just stopping by to see how you are doing SQ

hope all is well with you!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;)