itchio: Has anyone had itching around heart,inside lungs, in spine, bladder?

itchio

HI, I'm brand new to this site.  I've had a hard couple of years.  It started with a drug called Domperidone.  It is a drug that inhibits dopamine.  It's widely prescribed off lable (although not in the US, but a nurse told me about how I could get it from a site in Montana) for increasing milk production in lactating mothers. 

While I was taking it I started to feel a deep internal "itch".  I felt it first in my lower abdomenal area.  I went off of this drug too quickly--I didn't know it would be so serious, but I know now that it was like stopping an anti-psychotic drug too quickly--everything went haywire.  Terrible depression and insomnia set in immediately.  So I got Zoloft.  I took that for 2 weeks and slept less and less until I was up for a week straight and checked into a psych hospital for 3 days. 

After that I tried to stay off Psych meds, but I had recurrent insomnia and depression that came in waves.  I was given benzodiazapines, mirtazapine, amiptriptylene, ambien, and others in the next few months.  It was suggested to me by a couple of friends that maybe I had bipolar disorder, so I sought out a diagnoses in the hopes that I could get on a mood stabilizer and "feel fabulous". 

So I started Lamictal.  I started having itching again 2 weeks after starting it, but not on my skin.  It was internal--in my stomach, chest, bladder, heart, spine, and back.  I had this sensation off and on for the year that I took Lamictal.  I also still had to take a small dose of Klonopin every 3 days or so to sleep.  Seroquel was in there at the beginning too.  The itching and not sleeping were getting worse, so I quit Lamictal and Klonopin slowly. 

Then I started Risperdal in January.  That is when I learned about protracted withdrawal syndromes and the recovery movement.   I no longer think I had bipolar disorder.  It is clear to me that these drugs can devastate the brain, and that is what made me sick.  Even though I have been off of Lamictal for 6 months now I still have the itching dysesthesia sensations just about every day around 2 pm.

I'm hoping someone can shed light on what is going on.  I have nearly tapered off of the small dose of Risperdal that I began in January, and my mood symptoms are 99% gone, but I still have this itching symptom.  I've been going on the assumption that my nervous system was damaged by these drugs, and that the itching is caused by that. 

I've searched high and low for someone who has this symptom, but I can't find anyone who knows for sure what it is.  No diseases seem to have it listed.  If it's a drug side effect or a withdrawal side effect I can handle that.  I am just afraid that it may be some other disease that I am neglecting because I'm assuming it's a med effect.  My PCP and Psych doctors have no knowledge of this kind of symptom.  I've had an X-ray of my chest.  I've had all kinds of tests, so I am trying not to freak out.  Has anyone else had this?  

Thanks for your kind support! 

Risperdal since January 2015--currently almost done with taper. Taking 1/8th of a .25 mg pill.

Took Lamictal 150 mg.Oct. 2013-January 2015.  Itching sensation and excitability symptoms.  Completed a slow taper.

Took Klonopin 1/2 of a .5 mg pill evry 3 days or so Oct. 2013-January 2015.  Use very occasionally now for sleep

Tried Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Gabapentin, Amitriptylene, other assorted benzos and Ambien between January 2013 and January 2015

Took a small dose of Zoloft for 2 weeks in January 2013, stopped sleeping entirely for 5 days and went to the Psychiatric hospital.  Stopped cold turkey.

Domperidone 5mg--The one that started it all. (Not a psych drug, but inhibits dopamine to increase lactation) Oct. 2012-January 2013. 1 week taper.  Had severe depression and anxiety in response to stopping this drug too quickly.

I have been dealing with a bizarre sensation of itching around my heart, lungs, spine, lower back and abdomen.  Does anyone know what this is? Is it a side effect of drugs or withdrawal, or is it a different disease?  I have had a lot of tests that seem normal, so I'm assuming it's related to psych meds, but it scares me.  I'm terrified I have some other disease that I should be addressing.  The MDs have had no insight.  The psychiatrist called it psychosomatic--what a cop-out!  Please help.  In the wee hours of the night I fear I'm dying of cancer (saying this outright helps me put it in perspective). 

Risperdal since January 2015--currently almost done with taper. Taking 1/8th of a .25 mg pill.

Took Lamictal 150 mg.Oct. 2013-January 2015.  Itching sensation and excitability symptoms.  Completed a slow taper.

Took Klonopin 1/2 of a .5 mg pill evry 3 days or so Oct. 2013-January 2015.  Use very occasionally now for sleep

Tried Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Gabapentin, Amitriptylene, other assorted benzos and Ambien between January 2013 and January 2015

Took a small dose of Zoloft for 2 weeks in January 2013, stopped sleeping entirely for 5 days and went to the Psychiatric hospital.  Stopped cold turkey.

Domperidone 5mg--The one that started it all. (Not a psych drug, but inhibits dopamine to increase lactation) Oct. 2012-January 2013. 1 week taper.  Had severe depression and anxiety in response to stopping this drug too quickly.

• Administrator

I have never heard of internal itching. Can you describe more what this is like? Is it a vibration or sensation of fizzing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi itchio,

Welcome to SA.  I've not heard of the itching on the inside but I will say you have made a lot of drug changes over the last couple of years and nothing would surprise me symptoms-wise.  Whether its an adverse reaction to one of them or a withdrawal response is anyones guess

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, itchio.

I moved your other posts here as I responded to your question. Your Intro topic is a place to track your progress.

As dalsaan noted, going on and off all those drugs contributes to nervous system hypersensitivity.

What time of day do you take your drugs and what are the dosages?

Please keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It is a burning itching sensation that starts between my shoulder blades in my spine and moves into the front of my heart. It seems to spread all over inside my lungs, under my ribs.  I'll notice it going into my stomach, lower back, and sometimes my bladder.  I used to get it constantly for about 2 days in a row and then it would be gone for about 5.  Now I get it every day in the afternoon.  It comes with a nauseated feeling of itching in my stomach.  It seems worse when I am laying down--especially when I lay on my left side.  It's so bizarre.  Maybe it's akathesia of some kind.  It's accompanied by some restless or anxious sensations. 

Thanks again!

• Administrator

That is a paresthesia.

What time of day do you take your drugs and what are the dosages?

Please keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com...eractions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.