SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lou, off Celexa -- Restless Legs Syndrome during wd?

Hello,

My first post!

I'm 12 days post-celexa. I did a taper over about 3 months, and have had RLS the whole time. Only now that I'm off it's much worse, and I'm really starting to fall apart from the sleep disruption and fear.

I did a water titration. I tapered by 1mg every week or so, and took a 2 week break at 5mg. I realize this may be considered fast, but I just need to find out if this is an unusual symptom regardless. I've tapered 2 previous times in the past 9 years (from higher doses at a faster rate) and it's never given me rls.

As for other withdrawal symptoms, they were/are all typical and tolerable. Mostly gone expect for some occasional brain zaps and boaty feelings.

But the rls is intolerable! All night long. I don't have it all during the day. I am aware that AD's can cause RLS, but has anyone heard of/or experienced this from withdrawal?

I'm so afraid this is permanent. Can anyone reassure me?

Thanks!

• Administrator

Welcome, Lou. I moved your first post here to the Intro forum as your introduction topic.

A lot of us have had spasms and jerks as withdrawal symptoms. I had painful spasms in my feet and legs at night, then later a restless feeling in my legs, although it didn't get to full restless legs. These symptoms did go away after a while. It's not permanent, please try not to worry about that.

As I recall, massage, stretching, and chiropractic helped. And maybe acupuncture.

So the answer is, yes, it can be a withdrawal symptom.

It sounds like your withdrawal was pretty rough overall. The wear-and-tear on our nervous systems from withdrawal seems to be cumulative. While you may not have had a rough time before, you might have a more difficult time this time.

Not much can be done to reduce symptoms except to reinstate at a low dose and taper slower, allowing your nervous system to accommodate to the absence of the medication.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Lou....

welcome to the group.

I'm 12 days post-celexa. I did a taper over about 3 months, and have had RLS the whole time. Only now that I'm off it's much worse, and I'm really starting to fall apart from the sleep disruption and fear.

So sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. Sleep disruptions and WD organic fear are very common WD symptoms. Sleep deprivation alone can really do a number on us. These symptoms will all lessen over the course of time.

I did a water titration. I tapered by 1mg every week or so, and took a 2 week break at 5mg. I realize this may be considered fast, but I just need to find out if this is an unusual symptom regardless. I've tapered 2 previous times in the past 9 years (from higher doses at a faster rate) and it's never given me rls.

I will share my experience along with what I have witnessed in many WD forums (over the years).

RLS can be real intense, especially once we are completely off the drug. I know how upsetting this symptom can be. The good news is it will lessen in severity over the course of time until it eventually remits.

In regard to your two prior tapers: Did you complete the tapers? Many people do okay with fast tapers but they get hit once off the drug.

So, if you did not completely taper off the drug it's no surprise that you did not incur this particular symptom during your previous tapers.

It's also common for people to experience more troublesome WD after repeated prior attempts. As Alto stated: "the wear and tear on your CNS" could be making this last WD journey more difficult for you.

As for other withdrawal symptoms, they were/are all typical and tolerable. Mostly gone expect for some occasional brain zaps and boaty feelings.

Good news that your other WD symptoms are tolerable and most have gone. color]

But the rls is intolerable! All night long. I don't have it all during the day. I am aware that AD's can cause RLS, but has anyone heard of/or experienced this from withdrawal?

I know just how torturous RLS can be. While AD's can cause RLS, so too can the WD. I never had RLS when I tapered the first time, but once I reinstated I developed it and it got worse once I was completely off the drug. I can't tell you how many others have experienced the same.

I'm so afraid this is permanent. Can anyone reassure me?

Please do not give the idea of permanency another thought. As torturous as RLS can be it's only a TEMPORARY WD symptom.

If you google RLS there are certain non-drug remedies which may help. I can't remember all the suggestions (although I THINK magnesium was one recommendation) but I do remember mention of "warm baths". It can help or it can make it worse. Unfortunately, I was in the category where the warm/hot baths made my RLS worse.

Have you noticed that you are worse after a bath or shower?

BTW, it's common for RLS to be absent during the day, only to present at night. I had it nightly but also had it every morning (although shorter lived in the morning hours).

I had it severely (at night) but it's nearly completely gone now (only acts up for very short spells, once in a while, mostly after I have a hot bath or shower however, in much, much milder form. In fact, it's laughable now compared to what it used to be. (lol).

I also wish to mention: The severity of any particular symptom is not representative of how long the symptom will last. In other words, you can be going insane with this symptom at this time only for it to remit a short time from now.

Again, I wish to reassure that WD induced RLS is NOT permanent. It WILL go away in time.

Note: worth mentioning.......do NOT take any drugs recommended to relieve RLS since, you will experience a RLS rebound effect once you stop the drug.

So, as torturous as it is, it's best NOT to take any other drugs but rather, ride it out. All will resolve in time.

Much More Healing to You Lou!'

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Thank you so much, Altostrata and Punar! I can't tell you how much this relieves my mind. :)

I actually just started seeing an accupuncturist last week. 1 appt. so far so we'll see how it goes. And I do stretch and massage. Sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. I will probably make a chiro appt too.

I did completely stop the AD's in my former tapers, and stayed off for at least 2 years both times. I took them mainly for chronic insomnia, but am now on Bio-identical hormones which make me sleep like a baby! I guess the insomnia was hormone imbalance all these years (I'm 51 and female), So I don't think I'll ever go back on an AD.

I take a hot shower in the morning, and I don't have rls daytime, so maybe I should try taking one at night. I have found one sure-fire way to stop it in it's tracks for about 2 hours: A vibrator to the bottom of the feet! Also, Hylands 'restful legs' helps for the milder episodes.

I feel so much better. Thank you again for the reassurance. I'll come update. x

Good to hear that you found our posts reassuring.

Wow, you're fortunate re: your previous WD experiences!

Glad you found a few methods that provide some temporary relief from RLS, as well as having success with the bio-identical hormones.

Sounds like you're going to be fine sooner rather than later.

Yes, do refrain from any psychtropic drugs in the future. They never cure anything anyway and most times, cause more problems.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 2 weeks later...

Currently my RLS symptom is back stronger than in the beginning of my wd. Especially when I eat! something and when I lay down to sleep. It now takes me up to an hour to be able to sleep, because I have to move my legs all the time.

Can someone relate to the eating as a cause? Does not matter what I eat.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

People sometimes do report strange symptoms when they eat. Eating and digestion causes hormone release, I guess this somehow adds another element of destabilization to the situation.

From what I've seen, the eating-related symptoms are transitory.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

RLS--yep. A friend believes that RLS is somehow related to salt intake at night or evening meal. I have absolutely no evidence to support this, but wanted to mention just in case!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Wow, that's great news, Lou.

The restless legs symptom is somehow related to akathisia, hearing it's resolved should help people quite a bit.

What did you do to take care of yourself? How did your symptoms change? How are you feeling now, physically and emotionally?