simack: Trying to taper off antipsychotic's (saphris/zyprexa).

simack

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

12 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Thanks Chessie, that's greatly appreciated.  

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

.Well the branded zyprexa didn't work, I still only managed 2 hours last night. So I'm guessing  I can rule out a defective batch now or is it still possible that the change was affecting my sleep also?

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

If it was only one or two times you have taken the brand that I don't think you can discount that just yet.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  So if it hasn't been long, the body/brain still has the old and adjusting to the new.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Sorry to keep posting but my sleep is still terrible and I'm due back at work tomorrow,  I was just wondering if it's still possible to be in tolerance withdrawal if I've increased my doses quite a bit and still see no improvement?

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, simack said:

I need to return to work, stressing greatly about losing my job

There is a possibility that the worrying/stress is causing/adding to the insomnia.

Sure, it's common to have sleepless nights over these sorts of stresses regardless of mental health issues or not.  A good psychologist should be able to help you navigate these situations better.  Given your more challenging circumstances with prescriptions etc, a trauma informed clinical psychologist may be able to facilitate deeper healing.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 1 month later...

Just dropping in for a quick update, my sleep was doing ok for a while after a slight increase. I was managing about 5 to 6 hours of very broken sleep.. Enough to survive on. However two nights ago I had to refill my zyprexa script and BAM zero sleep for the past two nights. I don't get it, it's from the exact same batch as the last two..I did notice however that the expiry date on this batch is April 2022 so it will expire before I finish the packet. I brought this up with the pharmacy and the pharmacist just said it's fine, they have at least a 3 month usability past expiration.. I'm not so sure however, strange my insomnia just came back since starting this batch. Praying I can get at least 3 hrs sleep tonight because I'm back on top of a roof tomorrow...

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

@simack bummer about your sleep, hope it improves soon.

I got into the habit of starting the new box with some left over from the old box to revert to - at least then you can see if you notice the difference in an A/B test.

The further into your taper you get, the more of a "stash" you can build up.  And throw out with enormous satisfaction after reaching zero - but it's handy to have a range of tablets on hand for these moments, and prepare if you do have to change brands etc.  

Once I made a suspension from a 10mg tablet of the same make as the 2.5mg tablets I'd been using.  You would think in 4x the volume you would have the same result - but I felt so woozy from it that I just threw out all the 10mg tabs as obviously false economy at that point.  I really do wonder what the difference was.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM