SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ BoaConstrictor: New here.. Seeking advice and help. St. John's Wort.

BoaConstrictor

Hello. I'm a 26 year old male who has always been in relatively good health and good shape. Recently, because of major life events, I sought a way to help deal with my stresses so I did some research and decided to give St. John's Wort a shot. I had read it was a SSRI and that this could help with mood. I made a tea with the herb and drank some for a few days in a row. Then stopped. Then a week later had some more two days in a row.

The last time I used it I noticed my erections were substantially weak so I gave it up then and there. I've recovered somewhat from the lackluster erections. I would say they are about ~80-95% what they used to be.

It has been a week since I quit the SJW and I have seen small improvements, but since I was pretty scared I searched the internet hard for answers and came to the knowledge of PSSD. Now I know this is usually something that happens from antidepressants, but I have yet to find any links on the web between SJW and PSSD. I really hope this is not the case for me. And thankfully if it is it didn't get too bad. I am still able to have good sex - yet still not what it used to be.

I also should add that I've been taking herbs (such as hawthorn, horny goat weed, tribulus just to name a few) to help with erections. So in actuality I don't know what my erectile percent is without these. I imagine it would be less.

Anyways, can SJW cause PSSD?

Thanks for reading.

Took St. John's Wort for a few days straight by brewing up some of the herb in tea at a gram dry weight per day. Took a break for a week, then continued for 2 days straight and stopped after that.

Stopped because side effects appeared to be erectile dysfunction.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BoaConstrictor

• oskcajga

• Altostrata

• Gh0st

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I'm a 26 year old male who has always been in relatively good health and good shape. Recently, because of major life events, I sought a way to help deal with my stresses so I did some research and decided to give St. John's Wort a shot. I had read it was a SSRI and that this could help with mood. I made a tea with the herb and drank some for a few days in a row. Then stopped. Then a week later had some more two days in a row.

The last time I used it I noticed my erections were substantially weak so I gave it up then and there. I've recovered somewhat from the lackluster erections. I would say they are about ~80-95% what they used to be.

It has been a week since I quit the SJW and I have seen small improvements, but since I was pretty scared I searched the internet hard for answers and came to the knowledge of PSSD. Now I know this is usually something that happens from antidepressants, but I have yet to find any links on the web between SJW and PSSD. I really hope this is not the case for me. And thankfully if it is it didn't get too bad. I am still able to have good sex - yet still not what it used to be.

I also should add that I've been taking herbs (such as hawthorn, horny goat weed, tribulus just to name a few) to help with erections. So in actuality I don't know what my erectile percent is without these. I imagine it would be less.

Anyways, can SJW cause PSSD?

Thanks for reading.

I don't know if anyone here can answer that question completely, but my answer is "probably, yes".  The good news is that it's an herb, so it's not as potent as an SSRI, and therefore you'll probably heal 100% within a couple of weeks.  Probably not a great idea to take supplements, because they have no quality control and cost a lot.  If you're seeking a quick fix for depression and erectile issues, etc, you will never find one in this life.  Not from herbs, supplements, therapy, etc.  What you may find is a promise for a quick fix, but in turn now you have 2 problems when before you had one.

You'll get better though, just hang in there.

Thank you. I really hope that is the case. I've never read anything about SJW and PSSD. And I only took a little bit for a small amount of time.

I completely agree with you about supplements. I now know that quick fixes are definitely not a reality, as with just about anything there will be side effects.. I just had never heard of PSSD. And now that I have, I realize it is a scary thing and hormones and neurotransmitter a are probably not something to play God with.

As for the erectile, I have taken herbs for it before and certain ones do in fact work. I've seen them work. I never had erectile issues. But I wanted to spice things up and it worked fine. I've used them off and on for years. That's actually why I wanted to use them after this incident because I knew they'd work.

But I guess I need to give my body time to detox and heal and return back to a normal state. I really hope this isn't permanent. I will take your advice, and just give it a couple weeks before I consider this a real issue.

The thing is, I really feel some of the 'other' things associated with PSSD.. Lack of emotions, carefree. Honestly, I think I would normally be freaking out over an issue like this.

Took St. John's Wort for a few days straight by brewing up some of the herb in tea at a gram dry weight per day. Took a break for a week, then continued for 2 days straight and stopped after that.

• Administrator

Welcome, BoaC.

While SJW is an herb, it is serotonergic and noradrenergic. Its action is closer to a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI).

Serotonergics can cause widespread hormonal upsets that affect sexual response.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata.

So does that mean I could be feeling the effects of sexual dysfunction unrelated to PSSD?

• Administrator

No, what I meant was SJW could conceivably cause PSSD.

But yours does not sound like a severe case of PSSD, give it some time. You will very slowly recover.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

No, what I meant was SJW could conceivably cause PSSD.

But yours does not sound like a severe case of PSSD, give it some time. You will very slowly recover.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Oh ok, I see.

Well, today is officially one week and one day since I last had the SJW. And between yesterday and today, my erection quality has greatly increased. I've been feeling tired from the heat here in Northern California so I've been napping, and every time I do, I get a very strong erection. Perhaps it's improvement. I don't want to speak too soon, so I'll have to keep you updated.

Also, I've been getting irritable and upset lately, not for no reason or anything like that, just more than I used to. I think that's a good sign.

Ok so it's been a week and 5 days since I quit the SJW. Over the course of the last several days I've been feeling my erections increase in strength. I often will feel one coming on just at certain thoughts. And I get a ton of them when I'm sleeping.

But today, I had sex after about 5 days since the last time. I noticed that my erection was ok. Maybe a 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It seemed to subside frequently. After the first ejaculation it was semi-difficult to speed up my refractory time but within 10-15 minutes I was back again. It wasn't very strong though. I did notice, however that there was one time where my erection was about 100% for a short period of time - maybe a few minutes.

I definitely think I've been making progress, but I certainly haven't returned to my usual self.

• Administrator

Usually, it's like pulling teeth to get people to track their symptom pattern, but you've done a great job of providing plenty of detail. Good to hear you're doing better. :)

Usually, it's like pulling teeth to get people to track their symptom pattern, but you've done a great job of providing plenty of detail. Good to hear you're doing better. :)

No problem.. Anything I can do to help. And will do. And thank you. :)

2 weeks and 2 days since giving up SJW..

I've noticed that I've been getting very very frequent erections in my sleep - not even necessarily 'morning wood'. Basically everytime I sleep.

I've also noticed that I've been having a much thicker and larger flaccid hang throughout the day.

Today, I had sex after a few days since the last time. I was actually able to almost never go soft this time.. For about 1.5 hours straight.

My erection quality never seemed to get back to 100% but I would say its progress for the simple fact that I was able to keep an erection for such a long time.

Maybe it was still a 8.5 - 9.0

Also my libido has seem to have increased.

But...

I'm still feeling somewhat 'numb' in other areas.. Like emotionally and mentally. Not completely. I still can get pretty happy and angry, but in some ways I actually like it because I'm not stressing much.

Today I am 1 day shy of being 3 weeks off SJW.

I have added a new herbal supplement to my diet two days ago and it is good for erection quality. I'm not sure if it's working but today I had great results.

I had sex for about 1 hour straight and my erection was really good. I'd say leaning more towards the 9 out of 10 this time. It felt really hard for a long time and didn't seem to subside like it has been.

I'm not sure if this is progress but I feel it would be either way, even if it's attributed to the herbs.. As long as something works.

Also, I've noticed some other strange things.

I've noted that I've been numb lately like I never get too happy or sad or mad. I've mentioned that I like it because my stress level is WAY down.

But...

I'm quite certain that my sense of smell and taste has diminished substantially.

Yet at the same time, aside from all the numbness, when I look out into nature or the sky, I feel a great sense of awe. Like things are more beautiful.

All in all, I feel really good about my circumstances - in the sense that I'm happy with the way I feel. The only thing that was (and is) bothering me is the poor erection quality.

If I could remain this way (mentally and emotionally) I would be happy with that, as long as my erection quality returned to normal - which it seems to be, slowly but surely.

This situation has taught me a lot and I hope that my experience that I share might help others.

This may sound very strange but I really got to say I like the effect of 'semi-numbness' that I have. The feeling of not being overly or underly anything.

Aside from the libido drop and EQ drop, I am really happy with the way I feel. It's almost as if I never worry or stress. Even the fact that my senses such as smell and taste have dropped have been keeping me from being offended by bad smells or being excessive with what I eat or drink because it 'tastes so good'.

If I were to sum up my experience at the moment, I would say I'm in a 'sweet spot'...

It's hard to say but I'm almost feeling like giving up a life of great sex for 'good' and 'ok' sex might just be worth what I'm feeling (or lack thereof).

I hope I am not (and I don't mean to) insult anybody who has been burdened with such things as PSSD from the ignorance of taking ADs pushed on them or recommended by doctors and family, because I really feel for you.

But...

I feel like I am nearly incapable of stress.. As if my brain now lacks the ability to send the transmission that tells me 'I am stressed'. Or rather..

My theory is that I did just enough receptor desensitizing that my body overcomes stress more effectively, yet not enough to take me overboard to reaching such things as PSSD.

I've been mainly watching my EQ to see if I'm making progress and it looks as though I have, but as for my mood, emotions, and thoughts, I feel not much progress have been made..

Maybe it's a slow process. I'm at the three week mark now, and it has changed a lot since the first week..

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be great if you would put your drug (supplement) and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

3 weeks and 3 days off SJW.

I'm still feeling a little numbness, yet in some ways I've been getting extremely ticked off at certain things. I still have crazy erections in my sleep, but sexually I'd say i am still at about 8.5-9.

On the other hand...

Yesterday something happened that really ticked me off. Something that normally would have sent me flying through the roof, resulting in me flipping out. But by today, I am nearly over it already. This is very unusual for me.

I got to say, I can't help but be in utter awe at how things that used to bother me don't bother me anymore. I feel free in so many ways.

Lately things have been bothering me more.

Im not sure of my EQ has gotten closer to normal. I think I'm going to discontinue all the herbs I've been taking so I can see for sure what it is.

Im not sure of my EQ has gotten closer to normal. I think I'm going to discontinue all the herbs I've been taking so I can see for sure what it is.

Supplements can be very dangerous.  I wouldn't take anything, personally.  Waste of money.  A multivitamin, some omega 3, and omega 6 - maybe some magnesium, but that's it.  All the herbs are of dubious quality anyways - it's not like you're going out to a garden and picking them yourself.  No way to know if they're laced with chromium and rat feces.

People love supplements, I can understand this love - but it's misplaced and sometimes dangerous - as you have found out.

Supplements can be very dangerous. I wouldn't take anything, personally. Waste of money. A multivitamin, some omega 3, and omega 6 - maybe some magnesium, but that's it. All the herbs are of dubious quality anyways - it's not like you're going out to a garden and picking them yourself. No way to know if they're laced with chromium and rat feces.

People love supplements, I can understand this love - but it's misplaced and sometimes dangerous - as you have found out.

Thanks for the input.. But I feel I must ask, wouldn't you say your issue is with the source rather than the product? What if the source was a good one?

So last night puts me at one day shy of 4 weeks off SJW, and here's my experience..

Lately I've been feeling pretty emotional - as in I feel my emotions more than before. I've been getting more easily upset and tend to dwell on issues longer.

Last night the sex session showed me a few things. My erection seemed about the same, maybe 0.1-0.2 points higher, like 8.6-9.2...??

But I've had way more sensation in my genital area, especially during orgasm and ejaculation.

Still crazy erections in my sleep. I haven't given up on my herbs per se, but I've ran out of some and I don't plan on purchasing more.

My libido also has seemed to have been rising..

Ok so I am now at 4 weeks and 3 days off SJW.

Erections still crazy in my sleep.

Today during sex, my erection was struggling. I did however have sex last night twice and my erection was pretty good, even both times. Not much of an improvement from last time. But perhaps that's why it was struggling today.. (I usually only have sex every other day and usually once, sometimes twice).

The hardest thing for me was my refractory period. Strangely, about 10-15 minutes after ejaculation, I was able to get a good erection, but it was very hard to keep it.

My mood and emotions have been sort of strange. Some days I feel as though I'm still in that 'numb' state to where things don't bother me that much and I don't think about issues or stress as much... But some days things tick me off and I find myself getting pretty upset.

On the other hand, the orgasms seem to be very pleasurable.

And not too often, but time and time again, I will get a very strong (10/10) erection while having certain thoughts, usually in the middle of the day.

I recently found out a new piece of information... And that's the estrogen compounds in foods may be affecting me.

I have had my run in with soy many times, after eating it, noticing that my libido and Erection Quality drop, but apparently flax seed is also very high estrogenic compounds - which I have been throwing in my smoothies almost daily. I plan to cut that to see if there is a difference.

All of this I think has taught me something about how erections work and sexuality.

When I sleep I can get really hard and long lasting erections. But during waking hours in the middle of sexual activity, it is sub-par.

Perhaps the process for erections in sleep is a different pathway than during sexual arousal.

So today during sex things were a little different.

First of all, I had a very hard time achieving an erection. But when I did I was somewhat able to sustain it. If we stopped to change positions, it would subside. I could hardly get one while getting oral sex, but giving oral sex helped me achieve one greatly, I even got really really hard at one point in time.

Aside from that my erection quality was about a 7. We still had great sex that lasted quite a while though. About 30 minutes. We both had great orgasm(s).

I suspect my issue may have to do with my libido perhaps.

Since today seemed worse than the other days I started to think about contributing factors and I remembered one of my herbal supplements that I recently discontinued. One thing I thought noteworthy was that this particular supplement had many identical herbs as another supplement I take, EXCEPT that it also contained L-citruline.

After some careful research I have come to the conclusion that the L citruline may have been playing a role in my erection quality.

So I went and bought some today and started taking. Within some days I should know if it has been effective.

My mood and feelings have still been the same.. I rarely and barely ever get mad, upset, or stressed. It really feels good to feel the way I do.

Because of this, I'm hardly upset about my erection problem.

I'm almost at 5 weeks off and am shocked that just a little bit of SJW could have done this to me.

Ok so it's been quite a few hours since I wrote the last post..

and what I did was take 3 grams (in 3 doses) of l-citruline. I was curious and eager to see if it could help me so I checked out a couple of sexy vids online to get me aroused and sure enough I did.!

I got a nice strong erection that lasted as long as I had the stimulation. It's even better because I had already had sex earlier in the day.

I would say the erection was around 8.5-9.

I also took some green tea extract as I had read it was good for blood flow and such, but I had already had green tea earlier in the day before having sex, so I contribute the progress to l-citruline.

I also noticed right now that even though my erection felt strong (on the outside), it didn't really feel strong 'on the inside'.

Last night I had sex and my erection quality was pretty good, I would say a 9. It wasn't too difficult getting and maintaining the erection, but once there was a position change or something it quickly subsided.

At this point I'm convinced the L-citrulline is the key.

It really appears to help with getting good erections for people who suffer from ED.

Today I am officially 5 weeks off SJW.

I had sex this morning and the results were for the most part - fantastic.

I had started off the morning with about 4 grams L-citrulline and one of my yohimbine pills along with the other herbs I take.

My Erection was crazy hard! Maybe a 9.5-10. And it was long lasting too.. Strangely though, even though it was so hard, it's length didn't seem to be what it usually is.. Perhaps a 0.5-1.0" shorter.

Another downside was that my refractory period seemed really long. It was hard for me to return my erection for a second round.. But once I did, what made it even worse was that it was near impossible to orgasm again. (Perhaps it's due to ejaculating the last three days straight, which is something I don't normally do)

As for my feelings, emotions, and whatever else is going on in my head, I've been feeling really calm and as usual stress free. When problems start to rise, I feel the stress coming on and then I sort of 'snap out of it' and redirect my focus.

So I'm still sort of in that 'numb' state. I've also seem to be less affected by pain.

My feelings are that the neuro-desensitizing has caused a 'gap' (for lack of a better word) between two communication points, so therefore my body is still perfectly the same when it comes to pain and sensations, it's just it doesn't reach my brain as strongly as it used to - hence, lack of sexual excitement and stimulation, lack of excitement in general, lack of pain, lack of cold and hot, lack of hunger and drive to seek any sort of pleasure.

So today, I believe I learned, L-citrulline might just be (as studies have concluded) a sure shot way for most men to combat impotence or ED caused by serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Haha, dude, you're posts are so awesome.

Haha thanks.

Ok so today was the most interesting of all days.

I am currently just about 2 days shy of 6 weeks off SJW.

For the last two days I haven't been taking any of my herbal supps, save for two - which is eluthero which isn't even for erections and green tea extract, which is supposedly good for erections but I'm not sure if it's much anyways.

In fact I've sort of been fasting these last two days and have been eating very plain food when I do eat.

Tonight I decided to see how my erection quality is doing and I once again went online for some stimulation. What I found was that my erection was full.. Like what it used to be. It wasn't hard to gain and maintain it either.

What else I thought was notable was the fact that I had eluthero and green tea extract, because these things are very good for combating premature ejaculation, and I've found that when having too much of these can cause it hard to obtain an erection. Especially the other day, I took two of my green tea extract pills and it was very hard to get an erection.

So wow! Just wow! I don't know what to say. I wasn't expecting this. I've taken these herbs in the past before having this issue and I can personally say for sure they do help make your erections stronger, so for me to take them away and still see that I get a good erection (especially under these conditions) was quite amazing to me.

Perhaps it's the fasting?

Perhaps there was something else in the herbs that caused the opposite effect?

Perhaps nearing the 6 week mark was just what I needed?

Right now I cannot tell, but time will.

It is a good feeling though.

Also, I noticed the other day (2 days ago) that my erection was about back to its original length, which I noted it seemed shorter previously.

So then 20 minutes later, I attempt the same thing and WOW!! The same exact results..!

Lately it's been really hard for me to have a short refractory period. It would take at least an hour for me to be ready to go again, and even then, it was hard for me to orgasm again.. But right now, both were really easy.!!

As for how I feel..

I've been feeling almost the same, not really stressed about things, kind of head in the clouds, not much motivation to do anything really, no real appetite, no over excitement, no getting really mad and pissed off...

I kind of just brush everything off..

So somewhat still 'numb'

I don't know how to describe it, but it's like I'm missing a part of my self (in my head).

Like the part of me that is cool and calm is almost all that I am now, and the part of me that would get bothered or upset has faded about 90%. It's still there and I can still get mad, but even that quickly fades.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is just not true that all supplements are dangerous and have no quality control.  Reputable companies have good quality control and their products are generally not dangerous when taken as directed.  However, individual responses vary considerably, and can also be influenced by other factors such as other meds and supplements taken, health conditions, and so on.  It is conceivable that some people could be very sensitive to SJW.  I have taken it before, many years ago now, both times for about a month, and it had no noticeable effect on me.

What with all the adding and subtracting of multiple supplements that you are doing, it isn't possible to tell what is causing any of your current symptoms, so putting everything down to SJW withdrawal or adverse reaction is really just guessing.  Have you thought of stopping all the supplements for a few months and letting your body get back to some kind of baseline.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

All the supplements I started taking were because of the effects after taking SJW.

I took SJW and almost immediately felt what was like ED or impotence, and that's when I added supplements, and supplements only for erections, AND supplements that I had taken before and saw great results with improved erection quality without even having erectile issues.

Honestly, it seems to me that the biggest contributor to my progress was the 6 week mark, and possibly fasting.

So today's my 6 week mark..

I haven't tried anything sexual since the last time I posted about it, but I have noticed other things.

I still get long lasting hard erections in my sleep.

And lately my flaccid hang has been much fuller. I feel like I'm back to myself again, with maybe a little added bonus.. :)

But...

At the same time, I think I still have the same feelings going on in my head.. Low stress levels, no great desire to engage in anything, no over excitement, etc..

Wow.. If I can continue to feel this way and still perform optimally sexually, then that would be a godsend.

At first I was scared and came here for help, but now I hope to let my story be of some help to others.. I plan to continually keep posting about my progress. I want to help.

And thanks everyone for your support and help.

Ok so I think it's safe to say I am back to my old self. I just tested it out and was able to achieve, sustain and maintain and nice strong firm erection and orgasm came as I would expect.

The erection was a good 10 and only subsided a tiny bit if my attention was redirected.

Perhaps I do actually just have a sensitivity to SJW.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, for more than a month I've stayed silent reading your posts, but now that Osk has broken the ice, I think it's safe to go into the water.

These posts are a definite change from the balance of the posts on the board. I also must comment on your board name -- I now understand the reason you chose it.

I'm glad you are feeling better and back to your old self. Not sure if that means you will leave us soon. I, for one, will miss the weekly "hardness update" should you choose to do so.

I'd say "hang in there" but it seems like you are already doing that.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Haha thanks Andy.

No, you know what, I really don't plan on leaving, because the scare I had is actually real for some people and for the most part I would guess it's more on the permanent side. I couldn't imagine spending years like that. So I would like to stick around and learn more and possibly help in any way that I can. I felt like I had a 'taste' of that world and I must admit it is pretty scary. At this point I consider myself one of the lucky ones. At the very least, I would be spreading the word, in fact since learning about PSSD a month ago I've been telling people, because frankly I've never heard of it prior.

I'm still scratching my head about how people say they take SJW in an attempt to reverse PSSD, seeing what happened to me. But then again I may just have a sensitivity.

Hey Boaconstrictor,

you reached out to me on my intro thread. I could try and answer some PSSD/ SJW questions you may have! I actually used it for a few months to try and treat PSSD!

Take care!

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

Hey Boaconstrictor,

you reached out to me on my intro thread. I could try and answer some PSSD/ SJW questions you may have! I actually used it for a few months to try and treat PSSD!

Take care!

Hey!

Yes please tell me about your results here.

Thanks.

My PSSD is from 4 days of 5mg Escitalopram, so it's like yours in that it came quickly. I wouldn't directly call what you have PSSD, but I think that calling it that suffices in that I think it will subside over time, and there really aren't many other stories like yours that I've heard. Calling SJW and SSRI's the same is pharmacology incorrect because while they both raise serotonin in the synapses, they do so differently. SJW's action is correlated partially with it's MAOI qualities, but also in its "upregulation of serotonin 5-HT(2) receptors" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12775192). SSRI'sare more involved with SERT and take time to work because the body initially fights the increase in synaptic serotonin. Eventually these receptors down-regulate or desensitize and the drug starts "working". While this hasn't been scientifically noted for SJW like it has SSRI's, I'd assume that things work in a similar fashion. The body is always trying to achieve homeostasis, and will change levels and sensitivities of receptors (generally serotonin in this case) to account for shocks such as rapidly increasing serotonin levels. It's a safety mechanism, and for a vast majority of people on SJW/ SSRI's things go back to normal a few days after they are discontinued. However, sites such as this one are proof that this doesn't always happen immediately. 

I took SJW after seeing a few people recover from PSSD after using it, and after researching it thoroughly. My PSSD was lessened on it, and was improved even more after stopping after a month on SJW. It permanently brought my semen volume back to pre-ssri levels, but all the other benefits I saw while on it faded away in the following weeks. I've written about both the pharmacology of SJW/ and my experience on other forums, and will PM those links to you privately. The thing that I find refreshing about this site is that it believes in the body to find homeostasis even if it doesn't come right after discontinuation. As a college student who is hoping to pursue a career in psychiatry or neurology, I tend to find myself immersed in journals and understanding neurotransmitter systems. So, when I look at your predicament from both angles, I would agree with both that your outlook is very good. For now I would suggest against trying too much for the short term, and instead give your body some time to reestablish homeostasis on its own.

Take care! I connect with your story a lot!

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/