Iamfine

Do you hide your problem from your family?

Iamfine

I do. Or at least I try. My parents are in their 70's and don't need to worry about me. I try hardest with my wife. She has been very supportive all these years and I'm pretty sure she shelters me from stressors often. She knows I am suffering though, even if it's not spoken. I occasionally tell her if I am having a particularly bad day, but that is rare. I haven't told her about my plan to taper off all or most drugs. I haven't even told her that I have tapered already. If I am successful getting off, I will tell her after some time passes and I am doing okay. My daughter is the most perceptive of all my family, but she has a psych degree and can more easily notice my symptoms. It's hard sometimes hiding this from everyone but I just don't want them to worry or to treat me differently. Am I the only one who does this?

akakoom

I have kept my ordeal private so far.  No one in my social circle even knew I took the meds, let alone my suffering with withdrawal.  Don't want anyone knowing I took meds cuz I couldn't handle life.  And who would believe me that I am suffering after taking only a few pills.  But I am.  Never approached my doctor, either.  Figured there's no point.  I just spend my time hoping I'll improve, but as time goes on I find it harder to remain optimistic.  I'm about 5 months out and I haven't noticed any improvement or functionality return.  Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones.  No one knows what I am dealing with.  It makes it really hard.

akakoom

I wonder what's easier... suffering in silence or facing the ridicule of an unsympathetic family.  I am kinda glad that I am going through this alone.  It is hard... but if I just want to sit in front of the TV all day I can, no one will give me any heck for it.  Parents telling you to "get out of bed, it's all in your head," would be hard for me to deal with.

Demead

I've told my Mom and some friends. Other friends I just don't see anymore. I hate to drop the friendships, but most people i am just not sure that they would understand. Hardest thing is not telling my husband. When the symptoms started he became so angry and unapproachable. Now that I know what is causing the symptoms, I feel like there is just too much anger in the air. Trying to explain now would make it something that I think could be used against me. It's also hard not to tell my 4 year old daughter. She knows that I am withdrawn and unable to be there for her like before. But how do you explain this all to a 4 year old?

adrien

I dont tell my dad about it anymore because no matter what i say or do he thinks i need the meds and lately I've been thinking about cutting him out of my life all together because i find recieving phone calls from him draining.

Rosie20yearsago

I have tended to pretend I'm fine with everything for as long as I can remember. I was terrible at it first. Now some people think I am always really calm and chilled, when in fact I'm churning inside. I had been telling my husband how I felt for a bit but he did not believe me until I let my guard down a bit and let it show how I felt. surprisingly he was then really supportive and still is. My parents know but frequently seem to forget because I always look as if I am ok. A few friends know... And the rest don't. Yes, it is horrible if people know and are unsympathetic. I still most of the time act as if I am fine because I find it really difficult to be vulnerable and show my emotions, because of having been badly hurt in the past. It takes a lot of trust, or perhaps hope.

Also sometimes people's reactions change. I told my dad about tardive withdrawal recently, also because my mum has treatment for manic depression and I was worried about her meds, and he was very unreceptive on our first conversation but much more open on the second.

Theon

My parents know what I think about this experience with fluoxetine. My father thinks that there is not enough evidence that links the side effects that I am experiencing with prozac. But they agree that I have to get off prozac if that's my decision.

I hide it to my friends though