Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

Duncan Weaning off of Cymbalta

Duncan

I'm in the process of weaning off of Cymbalta. I started on Citalopram for depression, but was switched to Cymbalta following shoulder reconstruction surgery as it is apparently good for both depression and pain management. I started at 30 mg, increasing to 60, then finally 90 as a maintenance dose. Now I've started weaning off. I went from 90 to sixty, and stayed on sixty for 3 months, now I'm moving down to 30 (today is first day at 30) without much in the way of side effects, other than a little bit of dizziness. My concern is how to get from 30 to zero.

I am also on Lorazepam for a gerneralize anxiety disorder, and I do find that taking it it helps to reduce the Cymbalta side effects. As well, I take Melatonin at night to ensure a restful and easy sleep.

Any help or suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

Cheers

Duncan

Altostrata

Welcome, Duncan.

That is a very large dose of Cymbalta. You may have gotten from 90mg to 30mg with few problems because there was a lot of excess capacity in your dosage.

You may be in what we call the "oh-oh" zone now, where decreases really have a large effect, and you are wise to consider more gradual tapering. See Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Also see

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

and Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Fresh

Hi Duncan , welcome to the site. You'll find loads of information and support here.

You realize by now that cutting 50% of your dose , from 60mg to 30mg yesterday , is not safe and is asking for

trouble. If I were in your situation I'd go straight back to 60mg before more severe withdrawal symptoms set in

over the next weeks and months.

You can then go about tapering in a safe and consistent manner.

Please could you fill in your signature , indicating the length of time you were on each drug at each dose , including the lorazepam.

Best wishes , Fresh

Altostrata

Duncan, Fresh is correct. If you start to feel odd, you may wish to go back to at least 45mg Cymbalta.