I'm going to just copy my signature here to get this started....  

Been on antidepressants for years. Tried to get off 7 years ago, was off for about 4 months, had a major life event and I jumped too quickly to get back on them.  About 2 1/2 years ago, I happened on to theroadback.org and spent a year and half getting down to 75 mg./dy of Effexor with the assistance of those supplements. Was down in the dumps, and couldn't adjust so after a few months of that, dr. switched me to Wellbutrin, and then added Zoloft after about 3 months. After months of not being able to get it completely regulated, I started getting a headache 24/7.  I felt sure it was from the Zoloft cuz I had a headache at a higher dosage of that.  Dr wanted me to go off of that and start something else.  I stopped the Zoloft after only two weeks of tapering but didn't start the something else.  Headache still.  Started pouring in the supplements suggested theroadback.org program.  Two weeks later, I couldn't get back in to see the dr. and pretty much cold turkey stopped the Wellbutrin. Said I would NEVER do that, but I did.  It has been 7 weeks since stopping the Zoloft and 5 weeks since stopping the Wellbutrin. I have been faithfully taking the supplements suggested in theroadback.org. Headaches finally stopped about a week to a week and a half ago. Having some depression and anxiety now.  Not major, but it is there!  I would really like to use less of Neutrogenetic Solutions supplements simply because the cost.  More to tell, really, but that's enough for now! 

Used many anti-depressants over the past 18 years. I C/T from Zoloft (25 mg) and Wellbutrin (150 mg.) (2 weeks apart-May 2015).  
I was also taking Xanax or Clonazipam several times a week.  Quit taking those at the same time as the other two.  
Tapering Amitriptyline since 2/2016.
"I would have despaired if I had not believed I would see the Lord..."  Ps. 27:13-14

• Administrator

Welcome, JillE.

Please use search to see our discussions about The Road Back and its supplements.

What kind of information are you looking for here?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 9 months later...

As you see from my signature, I did C/T some meds last year....  NEVER EVER thought I would do that, and always told others NEVER to do that....  headaches and just weariness of KNOWING it was going the wrong way as far as a constant rigamarole of adjustments, that were not helping me.  I actually posted not long after I had done that, last year.  ANYWAY, I have survived that and am now tapering Amitriptyline at 5% a week (I have a liquid).  Actually, I've not consistently tapered each week.. it depends on how it goes... if I have a rough week, I wait another week.  I only have 10 mg. left to taper.

My question is this.... is it super common to have adverse effects in withdrawing this drug???  Is it common for people to have problems after the drug is completely gone?  I mean, I know you can't tell me for sure, and that it is different for every person, but if it's possible to give me an idea, I would like that. I do better with the possibilities rather than not being told how it could possibly go......

Thank you.....  

Used many anti-depressants over the past 18 years. I C/T from Zoloft (25 mg) and Wellbutrin (150 mg.) (2 weeks apart-May 2015).  
I was also taking Xanax or Clonazipam several times a week.  Quit taking those at the same time as the other two.  
"I would have despaired if I had not believed I would see the Lord..."  Ps. 27:13-14

Welcome to SA, When you drop, hold 4-6 weeks before another drop, if you go to fast it will all catch up, your brain has not had enough time to adjust doing it every week. Withdrawl can have some horrid symptoms that can last a very long time, slow and steady. A mod will chime in shortly to give more advice. Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

Thank you, Ali!!  I do, obviously, want to make this as easy as is absolutely possible.  I thought this drug would be easy to come off of, but the more I read, the more I wonder......  I started out at 20 mg. and I am half-way, which is wonderful, but I'm concerned this next half could be worse.  I had a SUPER emotional few days this past week, and then today I'm feeling burning like in my scalp......  so, it makes me think things are "heating up"...

Hi Jill--  Welcome to the group.  It sounds to me that a lot of what you're feeling is the results of all your fast tapers and cts last year catching up with you.  It can take a long time for that to work its way out.  Also tapering the amitriptyline every week is way too fast.  Here is some information to check out:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Thank you for adding a signature block, it really helps us see all your information quickly.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jill , welcome back. I have merged your topics so all your information is in one place.

You have been tapering too fast , as other have pointed out. Please stop decreasing immediately.

You might consider updosing to the last dose you felt stable on , and holding there for a

good 2 or 3 months.

"I do better with the possibilities rather than not being told how it could possibly go......"

If you continue you could get extremely sick for a long time , months or years. There's little

value in rushing to get off the drugs if you're totally disabled for the next 5 years , as does

happen.

bw , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

THANK YOU!!!!!  I will definitely slow this taper way down then.....  Will read those links you sent, too.

Appreciating this!