Anxietyqueen No zoloft...now what?

Anxietyqueen

I managed to get off zoloft in july and after life throwing a pile of stress at me my anxiety started up and wouldn't eaze up, i had one after another, they were out of control. I went back to zoloft. On 50mg now and anxiety is good though i had a few times where nothing helped when stress hit. 

Now that we can't get zoloft till Jan, i don't know what to do as the generic brand didn't work same when i tried it yrs ago.  I can't experiement with other drugs, tried avanza over a yr ago and one tablet kept me sleeping for a wk.  Before going back to zoloft i tried aropax and that made my anxiety worse.  I'm a single mum of a toddler and i need to be functioning daily.

Do i cut back and get off? How to manage anxiety without these drugs?

Please help

Was put on zoloft when 19, Didn't need it, looking back now i was managing life. I got off it a few times, didn't use it for 2 of my 3 kids, anxiety made me use it again. Got off in july 14, I was on 50mg and went to 25mg for a few weeks, then went to 12.5mg but after a few days i had bad zapps and coordination and movement was bad, so i stopped and that all eased. I was mostly ok, but at 10mths anxiety just grew and wouldn't go. Nothing was working, even valium barely tamed it in the end. 

At 6mths off the dr told me to start Prestiq, but i didn't want to. At 10mths a friend suggested aropax, had 1 tablet and anxiety went nuts, it was really really bad and constant just 5hrs after tablet. So went back to dr and got zoloft again.  Hate being on it but all anxiety is gone. On 50mg now. Had some 100mg tablets and when i didn't break them fully down the middle i'd have head spins. Shakes get worse too. Seem to be sensitive to small changes.

My withdrawls included zaps, leg spasms, major anger, dizzy, emotional. Probably memory, could be from stress. Memory still sucks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Anxiety Queen

Welcome to SA. I'm from Victoria too

I think your best option is to try a different generic. My understanding is there a couple out there. I'd also plan to taper off.

Can you tell us a little more about how you came off last time? How long did you taper for? How big were your dosage drop and how often did you make them? If you could put this in your signature that would be great.

Given the other withdrawal symptoms you had, it's quite likely that your ongoing anxiety was withdrawal related as well.

We recommend that people drop 10 percent of their current dose every 4 weeks or so. We also have lots of info on managing symptoms including anxiety in the symptoms part of the site. I recommend you read through that material.

Here is our thread on tapering off Zoloft - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

Here's some info on tapering by 10 percent - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

We also recommend high dose fish oil and magnesium. People tend to be able to tolerate these in withdrawal and they help

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan, 

Didn't realise there was a reply as it didn't say it on the main page. 

Last time i went from 50mg to 25 for a few wks, i then went to 12.5 but after a day or two had really bad zapps and few other bits so i stopped. Once i stopped the zapps eased. 

I don't have many tablets left now so couldn't do slow taper. In past when i've done same i didn't have so many anxiety issues but this time i had a huge scare and it's ruined my life now. Small things, actually no things were setting me off. Couldn't get off the cycle. No choice but to go back on. 

A chemist told me there's about 7 plus generic brands, but what if they run out too? Bit stressful now. 

Was put on zoloft when 19, Didn't need it, looking back now i was managing life. I got off it a few times, didn't use it for 2 of my 3 kids, anxiety made me use it again. Got off in july 14, I was on 50mg and went to 25mg for a few weeks, then went to 12.5mg but after a few days i had bad zapps and coordination and movement was bad, so i stopped and that all eased. I was mostly ok, but at 10mths anxiety just grew and wouldn't go. Nothing was working, even valium barely tamed it in the end. 

At 6mths off the dr told me to start Prestiq, but i didn't want to. At 10mths a friend suggested aropax, had 1 tablet and anxiety went nuts, it was really really bad and constant just 5hrs after tablet. So went back to dr and got zoloft again.  Hate being on it but all anxiety is gone. On 50mg now. Had some 100mg tablets and when i didn't break them fully down the middle i'd have head spins. Shakes get worse too. Seem to be sensitive to small changes.

My withdrawls included zaps, leg spasms, major anger, dizzy, emotional. Probably memory, could be from stress. Memory still sucks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Anxietyqueen , welcome to the site. Good timing that you found it now.

I had a similar experience to you - things were alright initially after stopping , but they got pretty severe from about 6 months. For some people the delayed withdrawal doesn't hit till 12 months later.

It sounds like you're just getting stable again on zoloft 50mg. If you want to split 100mg tabs accurately ,

best to use a digital scale to weigh doses. We do get sensitive to even small changes , which is why the recommendation on this site is no more than 10% at a time.

Best wishes , Fresh

(If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll eceive an email each time someone posts here.)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Problem is now there's no zoloft till jan, so what to do??

• Moderator Emeritus

Dalsaan said to get a generic.  It may be a rough ride to switch over, but that is what you need to do.

You can have reactions from switching brands of the same drug.  Somehow the fillers can change the metabolism of the drug.  

It might be a rocky ride, but it will always be better than a fast taper!

There is a Pfizer brand of Sertraline which appears to be the same as Zoloft.  Call around to your chemists to find out which ones stock this.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I got the generic today, i'm thinking of lowering dose of zoloft and then get on the generic... not sure if that's a good move. Yrs ago tried generic and was different, had zapps and dizzy, vertigo type.. wasn't good. I can't believe they can do this to so many people

• Administrator

You may wish to take half your daily dose with your old brand, and half with the new generic brand, to make the switch a little easier.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks, i did that, on day 3 now, seems ok, but stupidly i stopped coffee too and now not sure which withdrawls i'm seeing lol. 

Hi Anxiety Queen,

I'm having the same issue.  If you don't mind, would you be able to tell me what generic brand you are on and if it works?  I'm on the Terry White generic and I may as well be taking lollies because they aren't doing anything :(  I know the generic is supposed to be the same as the brand names but my body seems to disagree.

Thanks.

Hi ABS, 

I'm on Sandoz ones, seem to be working, i'm now day 2 fully on them. Not many shakes and some of the other things i had have started to ease.  Generics aren't the same, hate how chemists and doctors tell you they're same. Lies. 

I get mine from the chemist warehouse.  I know someone else on same brand and has been for many years and if she misses one day she gets very angry. So they must be doing something. 

Good luck, hopefully no more stuffing around from pfizer