LucyJed: Persistent and intense anxiety after 2.5 months of Luvox and Paxil

LucyJed

I tapered off of Paxil and the Luvox successfully. It took me several months.

Now I am having intense anxiety and waking up at 4am with panic attacks and sweating.

I'd like to know if others have experienced this and if it goes away.

Also, my system is so sensitive after 20 years of ssris that I can't take anything. Even

N most supplements make me worse. Only taking mag and fish oil now.

18 years on Zoloft then it quit working and started giving me anxiety.

Nothing else has worked for me at all

prescribed: pristiq, lexapro , Abilify with zoloft, Remeron, Lithium, Vybriid, Prozac, lamactil, Celexa, Paxil and Luvox

TAPERS

Zoloft - switched to Paxil after 2 week taper - big mistake

Paxil - 10% Reduction over 20 weeks. Started Luvox on week 18

Luvox - too fast of taper directed by PDoc- 25% reduction over 6 weeks because of short time on- 4 months, never worked

-tapered off everything except Lithium 300mg by April 11, 2015

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LucyJed

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• KT38

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like very typical withdrawal. There is often a delayed response. 

Intense anxiety, sleep disturbances, and sweating -  I had that, and so have many others here.

I got hit with that 4 months after stopping Prozac years ago. It lasted two months. I then spent a couple years in protracted WD, not as intense.

More recently, I got hit with that wave 7 months after stopping Lexapro, It lasted two months, and went away, now I sleep fine since then. But now I am in protracted withdrawal. Slow but sure healing over much time. Windows and waves pattern of recovery.

Sound like you got hit two and half months after stopping. Very common.

Your protracted withdrawal will proceed on its own schedule from here, everyone is different.

Depending on how fast your taper was - it may have been too fast - you may want to reinstate on a small amount of the last SSRI you were on last if your withdrawal symptoms become too difficult.

Perhaps a moderator will suggest reinstatement to you, and at what dose and what med. 

How fast was your taper?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Thanks for the reply clearday. Anything help out with the anxiety? Also, are you symptom free at this point?

prescribed: pristiq, lexapro , Abilify with zoloft, Remeron, Lithium, Vybriid, Prozac, lamactil, Celexa, Paxil and Luvox

TAPERS

Luvox - too fast of taper directed by PDoc- 25% reduction over 6 weeks because of short time on- 4 months, never worked

No, I am not -

After the two month wave of typical dysautonomia (sweating, heart palpitations, racing heart etc), my nervous system settled down.

But then at 10 months out, my head started ringing. I have pressure in my ears and head, left side body and scalp numbness. Very common SSRI WD symptoms.

I've been dealing with that for 8 months now. It's difficult.

But I am healing, there is "morphing" of symptoms, some come and go. The numbness is long gone. Many of the head symptoms improved, some got worse.

But overall life is tolerable. For me, nights are the worst. 

Your symptoms will be yours, hard to say right now what you will be dealing with.

About recovery:

Reinstating on a low dose of SSRI may help with anxiety. Some use small amount of benzos for sleep. But since you're on lithium, I won't recommend any drugs for you, perhaps a moderator can.

About tapering:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

I'm sorry your still not free of the AD curse. The last 3 years have been hell for me with severe depression, anxiety and insomnia so I can relate. Funny thing is that I thought the symptoms were me and now I realize it was all the meds the Drs were giving me. I cannot tolerate any ADs anymore so reinstatement is not an option.

I can fall asleep at night but wake every morning at 4am with the panic attacks in a soaked bed. I'm trying acupuncture now which gives some relief. Also, eating clean with protein and vega only. Taking magnesium. But thinking about dropping the Omega 3. Marble it's causing some anxiety.

I know it's a personal thing but did your anxiety retreat after a while anything help ?? I'm desperate because my work and family are at stake ...

TAPERS

Yes, we were all mistakenly told that our WD symptoms were something else. Looking back, we now see clearly it was WD from these powerful drugs.

I never really had a problem with anxiety, but the initial wave of insomnia etc retreated for me after 2 months.

For some, once the anxiety fades, it is replaced by more of a brain fog/apathy. And while that is no picnic, it is more tolerable than the anxiety.

I have no recommendation to help with the anxiety - perhaps someone else has a recommendation.

24 months SSRI-free  

So sorry I know how terrible the anxiety can be..I don't really have suggestions..except for sleep hypnosis (youtube), and distraction but really it is just waiting it out..xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

Welcome, LucyJed.

How did you go off the drugs and how long have you been completely off them?

You are having typical signs of withdrawal syndrome.

See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I first went off the Paxil 20% reduction for 5 weeks. Then the Dr said I was relapsing so started with Luvox. Ramped it up to 60mg over 4 week period. Anxiety got worse and worse. Finally decided to get off. Lowered by 20% over 5 weeks. Ssri free as of April 11. But intense anxiety with morning panic attacks and I'm generally worn out and brain fogged . Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks. I guess that's the bright side...

TAPERS

Also, all Ssri type drugs including 5HTP and Triptophan have a paradoxical effect in that they creat more anxiety in me. In addition any Benzo type medicine gives me a terrible headache and depression. I feel like the 4 different Docs I went to treated me like a lab rat. 12 different drugs over a 3 year period....hell on earth

TAPERS

• Administrator

Do you have any Paxil left?

I think you have withdrawal syndrome from the Paxil.

Even a very small amount, such as 1mg, might help.

Are you still taking lithium? Did you ever have your liver checked?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Your story sounds like many others I have read here. How did you taper the Luvox? The reason I ask is that I am currently tapering Luvox myself. I may have gone way too fast at first but I have decided to slow my taper after reading this site. The drug never worked anyway just made me feel worse, I can't wait to be shed of it.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Sorry, I see you already answered my question. That's about how I tapered at first but I'm slowing now to try to avoid as much suffering as I can. Have you considered light exercise for your anxiety? It works for me.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Go for a walk if you can and sit in nature. I do remember now that this helped a little. Running water if you can be near that also xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Alto, I only took the Paxil for 9 months and weaned off it very slowly - 10 % increments .... Then on Luvox from November to April.. Why Do you think that the Paxil could be driving this anxiety and not the Luvox. Also if I could get back on to reinstate 1mg Paxil I'm not sure my body would like it and if it did what's the end game here. When do I get free?

Do you think I could just keep white knuckling it and the symptoms will go away without reinstating.

TAPERS

• Administrator

When the doctor said you were "relapsing," what did it feel like?

Did the Luvox make you feel better?

I wasn't really relapsing because the Paxil only made me feel better for a couple weeks. I have been suffering from intense depressive and anxious symptoms for about 4 years with little relief . I guess this can be attributed to the 18 years of Zoloft that finally quit working, and the symptoms were actually withdrawal symptoms.

Then nothing ever worked again. No SSRI or SNRI. dr thought I might be bipolar even though no bp symptoms. Gave me all the bp meds. No good...

The Luvox made me feel better for about 3 months then back to anxiety and depression symptoms ... then didn't work at all and made anxiety worse.

Now I'm in bad shape, 2 months off ssri. Dr doesn't no what to do. Just wait it out I guess..... Really losing it

TAPERS

• Moderator Emeritus

Then the Dr said I was relapsing so started with Luvox. Ramped it up to 60mg over 4 week period. Anxiety got worse and worse. Finally decided to get off. Lowered by 20% over 5 weeks. Ssri free as of April 11.

Does this mean you stopped taking 60mg Luvox over a period of 5 weeks?

The Luvox made me feel better for about 3 months then back to anxiety and depression symptoms ... then didn't work at all and made anxiety worse.

It sounds like the Luvox made you feel better for a while? Maybe 60mg was too much for you.

Perhaps reinstating a small amount of Luvox would help, then when you have stabilized, a proper, slow taper from it.

See:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Are you still taking 300mg Lithium?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LucyJed , welcome to the site.

After 20 years on ssri's , I'd seriously consider reinstating. I tapered too fast in 2013 , and from the beginning if 2014 was housebound for 5 months with raging akathisia (see Fresh's Fractured Fairytale).

The sooner you reinstate after stopping the better chance you have to get well quickly. After you're stable again you can taper more slowly in a less debilitating manner.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I can't reinstate because the Luvox and Paxil actually made me feel worse. Terrible anxiety and insomnia and agitation. Felt like swallowing poison. I'm 11 weeks Ssri free but extremely low energy, ins

TAPERS

Also extreme bouts of anxiety and agitation that wear my body out. Going to psychiatrist today

TAPERS

• Administrator

LucyJed, please read

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This happens quite frequently: Withdrawal syndrome makes your nervous system hyper-sensitive to psychiatric drugs. But sometimes a very low dose can help -- such as 1mg Paxil. You would stabilize for a while, then taper off by tiny amounts.

Please be cautious with any psychiatric prescriptions, psychiatrists don't understand withdrawal syndrome and hyper-sensitivity and will prescribe excessively high doses of drugs, which frequently make people worse.

The last 5 days I had very little anxiety and slept better. Almost started thinking my WD hell was over. But today.... Wham. Very intense hard core physical anxiety. Chest pains and throat is tight. Feel sick

I guess this is the pattern

How long does it go on? What's next?

TAPERS

• Administrator

See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Please read the links we give you. They contain important information.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been over 3 months since my taper. I still have horrible sleep issues ( wak

TAPERS

Waking at 430am with panic attack. Also, anxiety that is persistant but seems to fade in the evening

Acupuncture seems to help temporarily.

Is this the same for others ?

TAPERS

Thanks Alto

I'm having severe anxiety and insomnia. Feeling very hopeless. Spouse doesn't understand and is very down, saying I need to snap out of it. Drs suggest it's common anxiety and depression. But obviously can't take anything as all psych drugs make symptoms worse

Feeling very hopeless like this wil never end....

TAPERS

Hi LucyJed! I stopped around the same time you did in April (see my signature).  I am still having intense anxiety and now extreme agitation. I was hoping this would have lessened by now, but it has not.  I have internal vibrating sometimes and I often think the internal agitation is some type of akathisia.  It is so intense I don't know what to do with myself and any tiny little stress is way too much for my brain to handle and have to shut down. 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

This is all part if withdrawal.  I know how frustrating it is that Drs and family and friends don't understand what you are going through.  I am right there with you.  I found a new psychiatrist who said I might start to see some improvement around the 6-8 month mark.  I read a lot of stories that around 12 months is where people start to see some change, but again it's all different with everyone.  Just don't let yourself get down about no one understanding or about taking these drugs, etc.... Stay occupied and look for positive people to talk to.  I can't drive or really go anywhere I am so out of my mind, but I know one day I will. I know how terrible this is for you.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Thank you KT for the support. This is so difficult because I must continue to work and also care for my young son. It's more difficult because my thinking is so negative, everything is bad... I try to hide it but it's tough. Like you, I have constant anxiety, agitation and body twitches. Also my brain is very hot at times. I constantly think that this will never get better but sometimes before nef I have a brief window and think maybe I will be ok.

I often only sleep for 2 or 3 hours and then wake with the electric current going through my body. I also will sweat through my sheets. I am so run down and stressed and nervous that any conflict or stress puts me in a tail spin. I used to be very confident and relaxed, blow tired and weak. It's disheartening.

Who had been through this hell and can talk about how it goes away and life is back to normal. I got on the SSRI in the first place for a mild situational depression - now I'm 100 times worse and am in a real bind.

How to carry on?? I take magnesium. Meditate, excercise and eat low carb - these help some...

TAPERS

Sorry about repetition. Can a monitor edit the extra replies?

TAPERS

• Administrator

Done.

You are having severe withdrawal syndrome. Please read the links we've given you  and consider reinstating a very small amount of an SSRI, perhaps even Prozac. It's easier to taper than Paxil.

Thanks Alto

I've been reading the links on the site and yes the symptoms are precisely associated with withdrawl. Also I'm amazed at how all the docs and all can be so clueless.

With regards to reinstatment, my nervous system cannot Tolerate ANY SSRIs at all. I've run the gambit on about all including Prozac and Zoloft (which I took for 18 years before it failed). Any particle of a SSRI will make me extraordinarily agitated and anxious.

Part of the problem is that even when I was first given Zoloft 20 years ago I could barely tolerate it at first. The psychiatrist kept staying to keep taking it even though it was painful until after 3 or 4 weeks it began to work. Them it worked well for a long time. But of course I developed all the bad symptoms associated with SSRI use. Ie weight gain and neurological disorders.

When the Zoloft failed, of course the Drs tried everything - Pristic, vybrid, prozac, lexapro, cymbalta, Paxil and finally Luvox... With a couple Zoloft reinstatements thrown in there. Not only did none of them work, but my nervous system could not TOLERATE any of them.

At that point in the game I was looking for a magic pill to work like the Zolift had. But my body rejected everything. It was then that one shrink decided I was Bipolar 2 even though I have no BP symptoms. Then he gave me: Abilfy, Lamictal and later Serzone and Trileptal. I could not tolerate any of these. They all made me horribly worse. To add more stress, I'm a human lab rat taking these hard core drugs while being married to a spouse who does not understand, raising a child and working a hard core advertising sales job with a very stressful boss... I was also using heavy Benzos at the time to cope. Klonopin, Xanax and Later Ativan. Until they all went paradoxical on me and didn't work.

I'm now off everything except Lithium for 3.5 months. I'd like to stop the Lithium but want to wait until I stabilize with the SSRI withdrawl - I guess???

Anyway, that's why I can't reinstate, because the withdrawl symptoms I'm experiencing are not as horribly intense as putting another drug in my system. I even tried Tryptophan and St Johns Wort and they made we terribly anxious.

My mother is also very very sensitive to all medicines as well and she can't take any ADs.

So I guess I'm stuck here right? Waiting to get Better... Windows and waves. Pain and hope. Fighting off the negative thoughts, praying for some salvation and peace.

TAPERS

Alto, after understanding that the 2 month taper I did on the Luvox was way too short, and that reinstatement just makes me worse. Am I just destined to ride this protracted withdrawal out for a long time and my body will slowly heal?

TAPERS

• Administrator

LucyJed, what are the dosages you've attempted in your reinstatements? Did you ever take less than 5mg?