Alua

Intrusive repetitive song symptom or ear worms

Alua

So earlier this year when I was switched to pristiq from mirtazapine, I was on both for about five days before being told due to my symptoms I had to stop one. I had this symptom which was whatever song I would hear it would repeat a line over and over in my head all day. At the time I blamed the pristiq but after reading on here I might wonder if it was in fact withdrawal from the mirt given that now four months on the symptom has subsided significantly. I oticed when I tried to withdraw recently fro the pristiq I had the repetitive song intrusion very bad. Anybody suffered this?

peggy

i often get repetitive songs intruding on my thoughts - and i think many people do... but i don't think it is a withdrawal symptom - it's called an ear worm!

LoveandLight

No I think it is a WD symptom..I only had it in WD..I hear bits of songs over and over.

melinda

Me too, I had this symptom for a long time in withdrawal. Therefore I couldn't stand listening to music anymore. And I love listening to music! It was like a torture. But now it doesn't happen so often anymore. It has cleared up - more or less.

Ibid

I have always had this tendency, from teen years on. I've heard it linked to ADD, which is what got me into the whole psychomed mess. After a slow taper off mirt I began playing the same song in my brain not only all day but on into the next. For a few weeks I'd play the same song as soon as I woke up (at sunrise--typical mirt withdrawal symptom). Not even songs I particularly liked. For the last couple of weeks I haven't been repeating the same line(s) over and over for nearly as long. Actually I'm up to several songs a day  :rolleyes:. I've been off mirt for about 3 months now and this is about the only improvement I've had.  

Alua

Yeap me too. As you can imagine after as good as going cold turkey after 8 months on 30mg of mirt my song problem was insane! What other withdrawal symptoms did you have from mirtazapine? I'm on pristiq now coming up four months so that long off mirtazapine and the song problem has almost gone.

Patoski

I reconise it as a symptom of depression some times I'm singing for hours inside my head and often out loud thank God I haven't got a bad vioce my wife seldom complains I also have a lot of ryming and punning going on and goboldegook but ihink it's all to do with the condition .and I've just learnt to live with it please God this whole horrible mess will pass .until then I will carry on and grin and bare it

Ibid

What other withdrawal symptoms did you have from mirtazapine?

Ear worm, I love it! Glad to hear it's better, Alua. Patoski, my brain can pun but it sucks at rhyming. 

I don't sleep well after sunrise; feel anxious and sad some of the time, especially in the middle of the night; have tinnitus; and seem to need my backscratcher a whole lot, i.e. persistent itchiness. Here's the worst one: I've had a serious hearing problem for about five years, probably much longer. Hearing aids make many sounds sharper, brighter, more percussive, whatever you want to call it. Since being off mirt, and to some extent while I was tapering, loud noises just irritate the hell out of me; maybe I should say they hurt my ears, literally. It's made me somewhat reclusive, although that might have more to do with retirement. For my age I exercise a lot and if I'm somewhat sane that's probably the reason. Deafness, my internal synthesizer, tinnitus, and sensitivity to loud noises have made me old in a hurry. (I'm 70, so I suppose it had to be something.) Good luck, fellow musicians. 

strongereachday

Funny u say that I was on remeron and during the worst day of withdrawal about two weeks in I had the nine inch nails song came back haunted playing in my head all day. It was torturous. Definitely a withdrawal symptom. It goes away

Dan998

I have annoying tunes playing in my head all day long, it often starts from the moment I wake up and lessens as the day goes on. I can have the same song on a loop for days or weeks at a time.

My theory is that my brain is trying to protect itself from intrusive thoughts. The music tends to drown out some of the rumination that would otherwise become overwhelming. Still very annoying, but far better than being frightened by anxious thinking.

OffEFFexor

I've always gotten ear worms, but much much worse in withdrawal.  A mild annoyance compared to the rest of my symptoms, but very interesting some other people report the same thing.

freespirit

I think it's interesting this is associated with wd. I've had it a few times, but not to the extent that it really bothered me.

It's not just limited to wd though. I went on a 10 day meditation retreat some years ago. For the first 8 days, songs I'd been listening to in the weeks before the retreat played through my head constantly. Sometimes they were quietly in the background, and other times, they were loud and insistent. This was several years before AD..so I could not blame it on that. Apparently, it is quite common in people on retreat.

At that retreat, the meditation teacher told a story about someone he knew who set off to meditate in nature...until he became enlightened. He chose what he thought was a lovely spot near a stream. After some time, he noticed that the stream was playing a certain tune..eventually, it started driving him crazy. He eventually found himself in the stream, moving stones around, with the hope of changing the tune.

Martina23

I have the same, but I mostly not with the music, but parts of movies like dialogues come to my mind constantly. Just in the middle of thinking about something a dialogue from movie jumps to my mind.

What also drives me crazy, I read what some people wrote on their thread and at once it comes me as if I heard them tell it loudly, I know that it is not possible that someone talks through his thread, but as if the written thoughts became loud. I know it sounds like psychosis, but it feels so.

NoMeaning25

So common. Ive had this for over 3 years. Its really not nice at all

Alua

its much less lately, I am five months into current taper. but the ruminating crazy thoughts continue. occasionally I have a song repeating now usually on waking, at times it has been constant all day every day.

DLB

Never had this before withdrawal but had it real bad in the middle of the night for most of my taper and it disappeared about 3 months after last bit of poison was consumed..

Alua

DLB well good to hear yours went away. They are not even songs I like! Just read your thread, well done for getting off the poison, I'm working hard on achieving same!

Hopefull

I had this after Zoloft reaction, and I hated, that song, "Coz I am Happy"!

It was constantly in my head, as if I had a broken record in my head.

Still hate that song, as it reminds me of the hell I went through.

I don't have it any more. Thank God.

It does pass, eventually.

ChessieCat

I think it can be both.  Recently I've had songs popping into my head that I am sure I haven't heard anywhere recently.  I've had ear worms in the past prior to ADs but I think now that tunes and conversations are just the memories coming up.  I've had very clear images popping up recently too.  Also had what I am convinced is somebody talking.  Something I listened to or read somewhere gave the explanation that in WD the brain is hearing something and it attaches it to something our brain already knows.  Not sure where though as I have been doing a lot of research into this AD WD stuff.  I can remember when I was on a different AD (possibly citalopram at normal dose, not tapering) I would get what I can only describe as my brain going through the radio stations trying to find a station to tune into.  It seemed like I had so many thoughts in my head that my brain just couldn't grasp a particular one.  CC

downtongirl

I get the ear worms but they mostly bother me when I am trying to go to sleep

Alua

I had ear worms before ads but they were few and far between. When I was on mirt I would have repetitive thoughts and the same one over an over again in a block. It was when I changed from mirtazapine to pristiq that a repetitive song occupied my entire thoughts daily. Funny how I did not click it was the drugs, blamed it all on menopause. They have let up substantially and I am six months into my taper. I still have repetitive thoughts all day mostly about withdrawal, so annoying. Wish I could think about other normal stuff but I'm making progress as having some windows of feeling almost 100 percent normal.

GirlfromD

I have the exact same thing, it started when I tried to quit cold turkey last year from Sertraline and Mirtzapine, I thought i was going completely mad!! I loved music, now i just hate it.  :( Hope it will get better.

Rhiannon

I first heard other people talk about this on benzo boards so I call it the benzo jukebox. It's one of my WD symptoms for sure. Interesting isn't it?

whatshappening

I had this while on a steady dose of Effexor and not withdrawing from anything. I think it's a condition of OCD, replaying conversations and songs over and over. I'm listening to a lot of Christian music right now so the songs that loop are usually of those so I actually don't mind it at all! 

massi

hello 

i m Massi, i have this whitdraw sydrom, its so difficulte for me

it is became a obsession

i m afraid totaly about that 

i m afraid that never go away

sorry for my english, i m french...

RachelE

Not sure mine is a true ear worm. Most of the time I choose tunes to play to myself when I get sad or bored. I used to amuse myself with this a lot as a little girl. Then the drugs took this "talent" away. The birds in my head stopped singing cause they were killed by the drugs. 

Now I can play tunes to myself occasionally. I am mildly pleased. I am recovering part of who I used to be.

Weird, I know.

Zodd

this has been happening to me frequently of late. Sometimes I can 'tune in' to a different song, but generally it comes back around to the same one. This was not something I had before, and am looking forward to alleviating it. It's most occuring at bed time. I'll even notice it playing in the back of my head very quietly or discover I'm unintentionally jamming to it. Kinda scary that my brain has a record player i have very little control over.

Nena59

Is anyone else bothered by music? I used to love music...went to concerts, played it, sang and danced around the house. Now, I can't stand it.

I get a song stuck in my head. I think the song "City of Stars" from the movie LaLa Land has been in my head for weeks. The weird thing is I was in a bad wave and it went away for a few days, now that I don't feel horrible, just bad, the stupid song is back in my head. Any solutions?

Thanks,

Nena

Zodd

I am quite familiar with this paradox you describe.

Are you familiar with breathing control and meditation? Practicing controlled breathing, through the nose, round the head and into the belly, while relaxing, and increasing the space between cognitive thoughts. I found this to be the most helpful, especially while combined with walking. It does take some practice time to be useful. You're not trying to block out or hold back the thoughts or the song, but are focusing on the repetition of slow breathing, the steps. Your mind will wander alot, sometimes right back to the song. That's okay. When it does, you might get annoyed or upset; these tend to feed into the songs repetition. Instead, begin the breathing and meditation again from the beginning. Don't worry about any images or thoughts that come up, just keep breathing and focus on filling your head with oxygen.

It's not so much changing the channel as it is waiting for the commercial break. Eventually, your mind will move on from the song. Maybe coming back to it hours later. When it comes back, you always have breathing and meditation as a resource.

I definitely hated music for a while there. I deliberately sat and listened to old favorite playlists for nights on end, re & overexposing myself to music. 90% of it was teeth grinding noise I had to skip after 20 seconds. Slowly, certain songs became music again, or I found a new song in my head was something I'd just listened too. I knew I once liked it and could again, so it wasn't so bad when I did get it stuck in my cranium.

I believe it's part of the recovery process, and can come and go in waves much like other signs of withdrawal. I don't think much research has been done on the subject, but in my experience, this has been the case. Remind yourself your brain is healing and somehow this silly, frustrating thing is a part of it and like all the rest, this too will pass.

Britton77

I have the problem with the songs VERY bad. Especially at night, in the middle o the night and in the early morning. On bad days it will happen all day too. 

The thing is, this all started 4 years ago while on the meds. I just started a taper and I wouldn’t say it’s gotten worse, but it’s bad.

will this ever get better? Intrusive thoughts are taking away from normal thinking. 

Dan998

Yes. It really does get better. Like every other symptom, it just takes a long time. I used to get a tune stuck in my head and have it replay constantly for weeks at a time. Quite often it was a song that I didn't even like. It's not really an issue for me now.

Music seems to be hardwired into our brains. People who have never touched drugs get ear worms. I think being in withdrawal just exaggerates this natural phenomena. Possibly it is a protective function to drown out the really dark thoughts. 

dj2010

this was an nightmare and it effected sleep a lot, songs that I heard on the radio during the day would repeat in head at night, I stopped listening to music completely for a couple of months and only just started listing to it again the other month, it is not happening anymore, hopefully it does not come back

Noloft

I really really hate this symptom and it happens every day it is one of my most frequent cognitive symptoms. I especially hate the part where it feels like I am watching myself have a song stuck in my head, while at the same time, thinking about something else, and then wondering how the hell any of what it going on is even possible-different streams of thinking and consciousness going on at the same time. Just ridiculous. I hope yours has improved 

jeremy1069

This started happening to me about two weeks ago (I know it happens to everybody once in awhile) but this is a daily thing. I have no idea if its the withdrawl or not. It happens almost every day, even when trying to sleep.

It can be completely random. It could be a song. It could be a jingle from a commercial that I have not heard in 20+ years.

In the 1990s, TV ads often had sappy, kinda sad and touching songs. This was when I was growing up, so they can set off nostalgia, which sometimes can make me emotional, rightfully so. In this case, moreso.