Intrusive repetitive song symptom or ear worms

Alua

Oh lord, this symptom is annoying lol. I have OCD thoughts pretty much constantly anyway, but having songs from ads or the like replay over and over for days or sometimes a week or more makes me feel like I'm going nuts. It does come and go though, gets very intense during a wave. For 2 weeks now I've been replaying the song from Celebs Go Dating on E4 haha.

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

• 5 weeks later...

😂 I didn't even realise this was a symptom! I've been singing

Charlie Puth - How Long for the past year lmaoo. Its just on repeat I'm either singing or humming it. How long has this been going onn??? Kinda fits I suppose... 

Fluanxol dosage n/a - 6 months cold turkey Start/ may 2015 end/august 2015

Sertraline 100mg - 10 months cold turkey start/ may 2015 End/Feb 2016

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been suffering intensely from this symptom but some days it feels so extreme that it takes away from me all my energy so I end up so tired and it makes  me feel that I do not feel like doing anything.

I really feel that I'm going nuts because it is so annoying and frustrating. There's not even 1 second of silence in my head the whole day, every day, either parts of songs or voices/words/sentences, or things that I'm going to say to a person I'm going to meet soon, but of course all those are involuntary/intrusive.

Some days not even focusing on my breathing during meditation relaxes me. I'm so terrified because of the thought that this will never end.

This symptom is happening to me because I'm taking tramadol which interacts severely with the other 2 drugs I'm taking (pristiq and quetiapine). Also because both tramadol and pristiq are SNRI. It's bad to take more than 1 antidepressant at the same time.

I would love to know any tools that can lessen the intensity of this hellish symptom. 

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

I find listening to music helps are talk back radio or similar, eg having the TV on, because it distracts the chatter in my head and gives my brain something to listen to.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Oh this has just started to happen to me. Most of my symptoms have eased a  little bit (on balance i think) but this ear worm thing is new and annoying. Its just the same few notes of this little bit of electronic music, going round and round. With my tinitus its quite something. Any advice? 

I guess the whole weirdly altered relationship /connection to music thing makes sense when you consider what 'ecstasy', a serotonergic drug, does to ones appreciation of music. 

I remember, years before sertraline, taking some once and having (other than the dreadful comedown)  awful  ear worms. That and, weirdly, about two months after having s dreaful bout of depersonalisation. For which one dr nearly put me on anti-psychotics (!!!) (fortunately another p-doctor, had a more wait a see approach and just suggested some reading). Its weird how this two month thing keeps cropping up with drugs which effect my serotonin system. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else have songs stuck in your head from morning to night that just keep looping unendingly?  I have had this for awhile now and never thought of it as a symptom.  For a couple of months it's been the same couple of songs and only the chorus of both.  It's so annoying especially when I'm already thinking poorly and I have to contend with the songs "playing" over my thoughts.  I'm not hearing music or anything, just thinking it but can't make it go.  Ugh.

1994-2009 benzos from age 20 to 36.  Added Cymbalta 60mg in 2007.

2008-2009 tapered benzos to zero and quit Cymbalta Cold turkey.  WD HELL for two years

2011 started on Lexapro to combat the withdrawal and it worked.  

2015 switched to Prozac as Lexapro was not working as well

2017 quit Prozac cold turkey November and crashed into WD.  Reinstated Prozac In December with no benefit. 

2018 Switched back to Lexapro in January and it took most of the issues away in around 2-3 weeks

2019 In February Lexapro has pooped out and WD feelings back.  Tolerance WD I'm sure.

March 12th Upped my dose to 30 mgs per doctor's advice to see if Tolerance WD goes away but have had worsening sleep issues with limbs jerking and less sleep.

March 17th dropped back down to 20 mgs and had less limb jerking last night but sleep no better.  

April 20th cut to 18mg.            

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else have background songs/music going behind their dreams all night? Just constant song or music in the back of your mind while sleeping? Is this really sleep, or is it just light sleep? I wonder if I should count my hours of “sleeping with accompanying music” as actual sleep in my sleep log? My brain is pretty busy serving up tunes all night....

This is the best of my recollection.

20 mg Prozac 3-4 days per week from 1994 until May 2018.

Beginning May 15 I began to drop doses. 

I dropped 1 dose per week for the next 4 weeks.

It was not systematic at all. I don't have which days I took what.

so the week of May 13 I took 4 doses, which was pretty normal for me.

Then the week of May 20 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The week of May 27 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The 1st week in June l took 2 doses 20 mg.

The week of June 10, 2018 was my last dose 20 mg.

I had been on Prozac only for over 20 years.  No other medications.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, RandyJames said:

Does anyone else have songs stuck in your head from morning to night that just keep looping unendingly?  I have had this for awhile now and never thought of it as a symptom.  For a couple of months it's been the same couple of songs and only the chorus of both.  It's so annoying especially when I'm already thinking poorly and I have to contend with the songs "playing" over my thoughts.  I'm not hearing music or anything, just thinking it but can't make it go.  Ugh.

Thats exactly the same as what happens to me. 

On 3/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, RandyJames said:

Also that's exactly the same as what happens to me. It is hell, but the good thing is that I already read this whole topic and I also have read the topic of "Intrusive/repetitive thoughts, rumination and increased panic?" and in both people say that it does go away after you stop taking the medications.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 5 months later...

I was taking 15mg for 1/2 month been doing 7.5 of mirtazapine for a week now but I've been having this music issue to where I hear it in my head 24 7 no ending the only relief I get is when I listen to other music is this a adverse effect or just withdrawals or just the side effects of the drug please  this just started this week I would like to know 

Mirtazapine August 10 2019 - Sept 26 2019

Lexapro August 27 2019- August 28 2019 

Trazodone  July 29 2019 - July 31 2019

Didnt like neither of them 

This is a strange one. I've had it too and even after a full year off Lexapro I still get it. It's usually just a few words but it's on repeat all day. 

I'm sure it will pass just like all the annoying symptoms do. 

Be kind to yourself. 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've found a "solution" to this problem.  Since I've been listening to them in the car several times a week I know just about all the lyrics to all of the songs.  What is good about most of these songs is that they aren't too repetitive.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, ChessieCat said:

I've discovered something by accident.  Recently I've had trouble with thought loops running through my mind, even to the extent of having a theoretical conversation about something that probably would never have taken place.

I've also been listening to some cute and cleverly written children's songs and I've been playing them when driving and learning the lyrics.  My thought loops have been replaced with the songs.  And because there are a lot of songs with catchy tunes and clever lyrics they tend to change throughout the day.  I've even found myself singing them out loud, and actually got asked to stop singing at work today (very nicely), not realising that my voice was carrying around the office.

The artist is Don Spencer and I am amazed at the words he manages to rhyme.  There are lots of his songs on YouTube.

So in fact it's actually working in multiple areas:  replacing the thought loops, lifting my mood, helping my memory and using my brain, singing which I've heard it good for us, makes me laugh, and I'm more relaxed when driving.

For anyone who is interested, I've categorised the Don Spencer songs.  Some of them are more suited to Australian members, but there plenty of others which are just really good songs, I've marked them with *.

* = songs that are general songs (ie not Aussie-themed)

Song title links to Youtube song

Lyrics link = PDF of lyrics

ALBUM                                     SONG

Australia for Kids                      Bob the Kelpie     lyrics

Australia for Kids                   * Rain

Australia for Kids                      Out the Back

Australia for Kids                      She'll Be Right

Australia for Kids                      ABC of Australia     lyrics

Australia for Kids                      Boomerang      lyrics

Australia for Kids                      A-U-S-T-R-A-L-I-A     lyrics

Australia for Kids                      Captain Cook     lyrics

Australia for Kids                      Aussie Boys and Aussie Girls     lyrics

Australia for Kids                  * Sunshine

Australian Animal Songs        Tasmanian Devil     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs        Lizards of Oz

Australian Animal Songs        Aussie Mossie     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs     * The Owl

Australian Animal Songs        Hanging Around Flying Fox      lyrics

Australian Animal Songs        Crocodile     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs        It's a Marsupial     lyrics

Australian Animal Songs        We've Got

Australian Animal Songs        Possum

Australian Animal Songs        Fairy Penguin Strut

Australian Animal Songs        The Smart Galah

Cooee                                        Cooee Song     lyrics

Cooee                                        Didgeridoo Song     lyrics

Cooee                                        Home Among the Gum Trees

Cooee                                       Tie Me Kangaroo Down

Cooee                                       Botany Bay

Cooee                                       Waltzing Matilda

Feathers Fur or Fins               Kangaroo the Super Marsupial

Feathers Fur or Fins               I Love My Echidna     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Where Does a Goanna Go?

Feathers Fur or Fins              He's a Cockatoo     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Warts n All the Cane Toad

Feathers Fur or Fins              Emu     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins           * Feathers Fur or Fins     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Dig Dig Dig Like a Wombat      lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Black Swan Shadow on the Water

Feathers Fur or Fins              A Platypus Song     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Don't Ever Step on a Snake     lyrics

Feathers Fur or Fins              Please Don’t Call Me a Koala Bear     alternative link with koalas

Feathers Fur or Fins               Kookaburra

Feathers Fur or Fins              Sh Sh Sugar Glider

Feathers Fur or Fins              I'm an Aussie Shark

Have a Beaut Day                  The Flying Doctor      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day                  Pete the Lorikeet

Have a Beaut Day                  Parrot Fashion

Have a Beaut Day               * Fishing Suits Me Fine     lyrics

Have a Beaut Day                  Have a Beaut Day!

Have a Beaut Day                  Jaws and Teeth      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day                  Bush Tucker      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day               Flowers      lyrics

Have a Beaut Day               * Stand Up

Have a Beaut Day               * In the Garden

Have a Beaut Day                  So Much More to See

Have a Beaut Day              * Cowboy Song     lyrics

Have a Beaut Day              * The Laughing Song

Have a Beaut Day              * Old Steam Train

Have a Beaut Day              *  The Cat

Have a Beaut Day                  The Barrier Reef

Walkabout                           * Eggs

Walkabout                           * My Big Jazz Band

Walkabout                              Walkabout

Walkabout                          * Thumbs Up

Walkabout                          * Flying My Kite

Walkabout                              Backyard Birdbath     lyrics

Walkabout                          * The Weather Song

Walkabout                          The Solar Powered Practical Combustible Compactable Responsibly Recyclable Machine

Walkabout                              Red Dirt Roadway

Walkabout                             The Great Australian Bite

Walkabout                          * Panda

Walkabout                          * Trees

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 7 months later...

Dealing with this symptom right now after coming off a mixture of remeron, haldol, lithium (which I was only on for a short period of time) and now wellbutrin XL after being on 150mg for about six weeks. This is the worst symptom I've dealt with regarding medications, hoping it will subside soon. It does give me hope seeing that most of you had yours eventually disappear, I'm hoping my case is the same. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, kayla24 said:

This is the worst symptom I've dealt with regarding medications, hoping it will subside soon.

This is very mild symptom.  Admittedly it can be annoying and sometimes frustrating.  Mine comes and goes.  It's been bugging me for the last couple of weeks.

You could try listening to a different catchy song when the one you currently have gets too annoying.  That way you might be able to mix it up a bit and make it less frustrating.  I've actually put mine to good use and have been learning Bible verse songs.  And also the Westminster Shorter Catechism songs by Holly Dutton.

• 5 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 1:41 AM, ChessieCat said:

I think it can be both.  Recently I've had songs popping into my head that I am sure I haven't heard anywhere recently.  I've had ear worms in the past prior to ADs but I think now that tunes and conversations are just the memories coming up.  I've had very clear images popping up recently too.  Also had what I am convinced is somebody talking.  Something I listened to or read somewhere gave the explanation that in WD the brain is hearing something and it attaches it to something our brain already knows.  Not sure where though as I have been doing a lot of research into this AD WD stuff.  I can remember when I was on a different AD (possibly citalopram at normal dose, not tapering) I would get what I can only describe as my brain going through the radio stations trying to find a station to tune into.  It seemed like I had so many thoughts in my head that my brain just couldn't grasp a particular one.  CC

Hi ChessieCat,

I am also getting exactly what you have mentioned. This is mainly when just trying to shut off my brain and relax to try and sleep. (ear worm songs, clear random snippets of images, snippets of phrases by someone else's voice and not my own) . It only is surfaced since I am suffering through bouts of insomnia during my lower dose tapering and being sleep deprived I think aids in it definitely? So if I got more sleep would it stop or can I just consider this to be a separate withdrawal symptom not affected by lack of sleep. One is feeding the other and I don't know what to do 😔.

I have but maybe less than a year before I'm hopefully off since it has been suggested to go very slow on my taper but I've read in the thread that it stops once you are off the drugs. Ughhh can't take 1 year of this!!!

Effexor XR 37.5mg (1st time 2003-2004 / 2nd time 2007-2008 / 3rd time 2010-current) Attempted to get off again in July of 2015 and did a year long taper only to reinstate by June 2016 due to failed taper. By July 2017 started to give this another try.

7.01.17 - 37.5mg fast forward to 3.25.18 - 26 mg  / 4.27.18 - 23.4 mg  / 5.20.18 - 21 mg  / 6.24.18 - 18.9 mg / 9.7.18 - 17 mg  / 10.13.18 - 15 mg / 11.10.18 - 13.5 mg 12.24.18 - 12 mg / 2.10.19 - 11 mg  / 3.6.19 - Updose to 13 mg and was better only for a month so decided to continue with tapering process. / 5.18.19 - 12 mg / 6.12.19 - 11 mg  / 7.7.19 - 11 mg  / 8.22.19 - 10 mg  / 10.4.19 - 9 mg   / 11.29.19 - 8.5mg / 12.16.19 - 8 mg / 1.24.20 - 7.5mg / 3.15.20 - 6.5mg / 3.29.20 - 6 mgs / 5.9.20  - 5.5 mgs / 5.23.20 - 5 mgs / 6.29.20 - 4.5 mgs / 7.10.20 - 4.25mgs / 7.24.20 - 4 mgs / 8.18.20 - 3.75mg / 9.1.20 - 3.5 mgs / 9.29.20 - 3 mgs but Horrendous insomnia suddenly appear preventing further tapering.

10.9.20 - Effexor Updose to 3.5mg

10.18.20 - Effexor Updose to 4 - 4.5 mg but no relief and insomnia got worse so.....

11.04.20 Effexor jump! with direct switch to Prozac 10mg.

12.4 - prozac 7.5mg 

12.20 - prozac 4mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what causes it but I have had times when it is worse than others and there have been periods when it  has either gone completely or is very negligible.

It might be related to how much stress our nervous system is under/experiencing.  I'm down to 0.625mg (100mg Pristiq starting dose) and recently I have been getting them over the last few months which could be related to sleep issues and added stress from a back injury.  But they also don't seem to be as intense and long-lasting as they were in the past.

I just try to go with the flow, acknowledge it and try to accept it, which helps not to add more stress to my system.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found anything that helps with earworms? Trying omega 3, tried it a few months back and it made my looping thoughts worse. Now it helps me sleep 7 hours straight, and lifts my mood. BUT as soon as I open my eyes in the morning dam songs looping. Will probably stop the omega 3, but my mood is much better

2006 - 2009 20mg Citalopram fast taper2011 - 2016 40mg Citalopram fast taperJune 2016 10mg Valium 1 month CT
Jan 2018 40mg CitalopramFeb 2019 cymbalta for pain - too many side effectsApril - 10mg Valium for 1 month- made me depressed stopped CTJuly - 0.5mg of Xanax + Prozac, bad reaction stopped after 6 weeks CTSept - 14 days Ativan CT

October 2019 - 5mg Valium + 10mg Citalopram, too much,

December 2019 - CT Citalopram, 

February 2020 - reinstate 5mg Citalopram

April 2020 Stopped Valium CT, sart May tried to increase Citalopram to 10mg, think I OD'd 

22 June  ER visit tried to reinstate Valium, paradoxical

2 failed attempts to reinstate Citalopram 1mg and 0.5mg

20 Oct CBD oil - wave, 27 Oct 10mg trimipramine BAD IDEA

• 4 months later...
On 18.3.2019 at 22:51, RandyJames said:

Hat jemand andere Songs von morgens bis abends im Kopf, die sich endlos wiederholen? Ich habe das jetzt schon eine Weile und habe es nie als Symptom angesehen. Seit ein paar Monaten sind es die gleichen Songs und nur der Refrain von beiden. Es ist so nervig, besonders wenn ich schon schlecht denke und mich mit den Songs herumschlagen muss, die über meine Gedanken "spielen". Ich höre keine Musik oder so, ich denke nur daran, kann es aber nicht zum Laufen bringen. Pfui.

Hello. It was a little longer since your post, but maybe you're reading along anyway.

I've had the exact same thing for a week. My head is playing music 24/7. It's like it's running in the background all the time. There is not a second in which the song is gone. It's like an earworm but without a break. Was that the same for you?

And did it get better at some point?

Dezember 2014 - Starten Sie Escitalopram 10mg

November 2020 - Escitalopram 5 mg

Dezember 2020 - Escitalopram 10 mg

01. Februar 2021 - Escitalopram 9 mg

20. Februar 2021 - Escitalopram 8 mg

15. März 2021 - Escitalopram 7 mg

06. April 2021 - Escitalopram 6 mg

• 2 months later...

This symptom is absolutely maddening.  It ranges from annoying to excruciating.  This current bout has lasted for over a month.  I try forcing my mind to shut up and think about something else.  

My question is, what does this symptom mean is happening in our brains?  Is it a particular part of the brain?  I would guess it has something to with memory.  It’s a little shocking to realize that my brain contains hundreds or thousands of songs, including many I haven’t heard since I was a little kid.  I don’t suppose I’ll ever know, but, the fact that many of us experience the same thing means something.

Introduction: Orbet: First post

on numerous psych meds going back to 2003

2020 sertaline for a few months, tried latuda for about a week, ct sertaline over concerns about serotonin syndrome

seroquel 100 and trazodone 50 continuing through 

2021 April seroquel increased to 200 mg, Trazodone increased to 100 mg,  a few days latuda before I stopped taking it.also, took low doses of haldol left over from an old script ending in April. May 2021

Doctor cut seroquel from 200 mg to 100 mg

trazodone raised from 100 mg to 150 mg

became suicidal, hospitalized for 6th time in two years

tried on vraylar, 2 days, haldol, 3 days, sent home, took latuda a couple of days,put on Prozac but stopped after two days due to heightened anxiety. Currently on: seroquel 100 mg, trazodone 150 mg, and Benadryl 50 mg at 12:00 am nightly, and hydroxyzine 100 mg x 3 I only take twice daily at 12:00 Pm and 6 pm.

• 1 month later...

WHen I was on benzodiazepine I used to have earworm constanlt some parts of song stuck in head , something like 

" It is final countdown"

later after taking lots of antidepressants and since stopping nortriptyline I am getting music in my head while waking up since 2 days.

any thoughts, any advice suggestion @Altostrata

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 2 months later...
  • Mentor

I am wondering if I am experiencing the same thing?  I have the same repetitive obsessing thought that has turned into OCD.  When I am in a wave it is all magnified.   My ears fill up with pressure(hence ear worms ?) I want to rip them off, my brain is in a panic, very over sensitive to noise and commotion.   Then it settles down to a little, then up again UGH.   The obsessing never goes away, just when I am in a little window it is easier to manage.  My rational mind is more available.

If you think about it, it does feel a little like some thing is in your ear.  Hence you want to rip them off.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2015 at 12:00 AM, Alua said:

So earlier this year when I was switched to pristiq from mirtazapine, I was on both for about five days before being told due to my symptoms I had to stop one. I had this symptom which was whatever song I would hear it would repeat a line over and over in my head all day. At the time I blamed the pristiq but after reading on here I might wonder if it was in fact withdrawal from the mirt given that now four months on the symptom has subsided significantly. I oticed when I tried to withdraw recently fro the pristiq I had the repetitive song intrusion very bad. Anybody suffered this?

Hi Alua, did this symptom go away for you? Its been happening for me for almost 3 months.

April-October 2020 Lexapro 10mg (tappered completely off with no issues)

June 12-29 2023 (17 days) Lexapro 5 mg, stopped cold turkey

June 2023 5 doses over span of 2 weeks of Ativan at 0.5mg

Currently No medications or supplements 

Anybody still experiencing this or has successfully overcome this, I could you some reassurance that it goes away :(

April-October 2020 Lexapro 10mg (tappered completely off with no issues)

June 12-29 2023 (17 days) Lexapro 5 mg, stopped cold turkey

June 2023 5 doses over span of 2 weeks of Ativan at 0.5mg

Currently No medications or supplements 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy