☼ MirtNoMore -15 mg Mirtazapine extended withdrawal

MirtNoMore

Hi All,

I've been following the forum for months now, but finally decided to post, as my recovery isn't coming along as anticipated.

I was introduced to psychiatric drugs this year, after a bout of insomnia and some anxiety surrounding it. After reading in Consumer Reports how people generally did best with drugs and therapy, I decided to give it a shot.

My doctor prescribed 5 mg Lexapro, which I took for four weeks. It was miserable. I'd never felt depression before, but the drug introduced it to me. After three weeks the anxiety was controlled, but I was still wired all the time and sleep was suffering.

So my doctor had me cut the dose of Lexapro in half for three days then stop, and put me on mirtazapine 15 mg, to help with sleep. After a couple weeks, I felt okay except, of course, sleep. I was always wired, and could stay up for two nights and still not feel sleepy.

Mid-April, I went to 7.5 mg for four days (doctor's instructions), then stopped mirtazapine. It was rough for a few weeks, but at about 6 weeks out, I was mostly okay, and approaching 6 hours sleep per night.

Then a life stressor came my way, and I wasn't falling asleep again. I took a Xanax once, and decided the rebound anxiety the next day wasn't worth it. Other than that, I'd had a beer once, melatonin for sleep, and occasionally magnesium. No caffeine or any other drugs.

I had a rocky week or so, then a couple sleepless nights. At 3 am one night I got desperate, and tried 0.25 mg of Xanax (only the second time I'd tried it). I got 3-4 hours sleep but then I was wired with anxiety. The next night, I took the full 0.5 mg Xanax. Same thing. The following night, I got crazy and tried drinking a beer. Same thing - totally wired after a few hours. Then I decided I'd try naproxen (Alleve) to help with  the muscle tightness in my legs, which was keeping me up. I did that for two days before learning that NSAIDs affect GABA as well.

That stopped one week ago today, and I've taken nothing since, not even melatonin. I'm still super anxious most of the day, not triggered by anything in particular. I wake up and it's there. The last couple nights I woke up at least 5 times during the night, and usually managed to fall back asleep while experiencing varying degrees of anxiety. It feels like my nervous system is incredibly sensitive to the slightest bit of stimulation. For example, filling out a registration form for my son last night was an gut-wrenching ordeal. Everything feels so difficult!

We're at 10 weeks out now, and all other withdrawal symptoms are gone. It's just this intense anxiety! It's like the Xanax messed with GABA and restarted the whole process.

Has anyone had this sort of experience? I was on a low dose for a short time, and never anticipated this sort of ordeal - the biggest challenge in my life by far. Before I started antidepressants, I had occasional anxiety, but always related to a particular stressor. Not this "always on" sort of thing I have now.

I'm guessing I'm too far out to reinstate, and don't really want to, since I didn't do well on mirtazapine anyway.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

March 2015: Lexapro 5 mg for 4 weeks

April 2015: Mirtazapine 15 mg for 3 weeks, 4 days taper at 7.5 mg

Drug free since mid-April 2015

It's so horrible this anxiety!

Someone with more experience will be able to help with some advice soon.

Welcome and take care.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mirt

Welcome to SA. Sorry you've been struggling.

Given you didn't do well on mirtazapine and you are to weeks out I would probably agree with you about not reinstating. I would say that your system was sensitised during your mirt wd and reacted adversely when you added the other drugs.

We have threads on managing insomnia and anxiety in the symptoms forum

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Are you taking any supplements? We generally recommend magnesium and fish oil but as with everything start low and see how it goes

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I'm only taking 250 magnesium, most days. No fish oil, but I do eat fish regularly. I'm skeptical, but I'll pick up some fish oil at Trader Joe's since I doubt it could hurt.

dalsaan, I'm also hoping that it's just a matter of my system being sensitized, and that it will calm down soon. My biggest fear is that this is the new normal. I guess all I can do is avoid messing with my GABA receptors and see what happens.

• Moderator Emeritus

You weren't on these drugs for long, I'm sure you will recover completely and be back to your normal self, it may take a little more time though. My advice is to avoid all psychotropic drugs from now on and do what you can to avoid stress, until you are feeling better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I wonder about avoiding stress. On the one hand, calm is always nice! On the other, to the degree that it involves avoidance, or just putting your life on hold, I'm not sure it's worth it. Guess it's about striking the right balance.

I had salmon last night and took my first fish oil pill (Trader Joe's) this morning. My body is slightly less amped up today, so far.

• Administrator

Welcome, MirtNoMore.

Did the mirtazapine ever help? How about when you reduced it to 7.5mg?

I am wondering if your sleeplessness was not withdrawal syndrome from the Lexapro.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs can make our nervous systems more sensitive to other drugs, which is why you have paradoxical reactions to Xanax. If I were you, I'd avoid benzo.

It sounds like you were sensitive to begin with, so I am cautious about reinstating mirtazapine, but a very low dose might help you sleep. Do you have any left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The mirtazapine helped with anxiety, which wasn't that much of a problem before I started ADs! Over the three weeks, I got progressively more and more wired until sleep became near impossible (and almost felt unnecessary at times!). I was only on 7.5 for four days.

I threw out the mirtazapine I had left. I don't think it would be worth reinstating just to get a little more sleep. It didn't really help that much to begin with!

I'm thinking I'm messed up now from the Xanax, since I had a pretty good week before I dabbled with it out of desperation.

The last three nights have been better though. I'm up every hour or so to empty my bladder, but I manage to fall back asleep most of the time, and I'm not too sleepy in the day. The few days before that, I'd wake up with so much anxiety, there's no way I was getting back to sleep.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Took both this morning! I've got some magnesium powder on the way too, so I can mix it in water.

Thank you!

Major stressor today!

I've got cataracts brewing in both eyes (and I'm young!), but figured I could hold off surgery until I was fully recovered. This morning, out of the blue, the vision in my right (better) eye is far worse. Reading is difficult, especially on the computer. I know vision varies, and it could be better tomorrow, but I don't want to be at the mercy of daily fluctuations. I emailed my optometrist to find out what the next step is.

I'm of course super anxious about the surgery itself, but more importantly, I don't want to be given Xanax or anything else that might set back my recovery. I read another thread about surgery and learned that propofol is okay as an anesthetic. Hopefully they can work with me. I know sometimes they just go topical, but I have a history of fainting at the optometrist, so he wanted me under.

• Administrator

It would be an ophthalmologist, an MD, who does cataract surgery. Go to the best you can find and explain carefully that you are sensitive to benzos. Cataract surgery is something they know how to do, a good doctor will be very fast.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking magnesium and fish oil, and eating a lot of salmon, for the past few weeks. Things were progressively getting better: little anxiety, deeper sleep with less awakenings. I thought I was out of the woods, but I couple days ago I hit a bit of a wave. High anxiety, racing thoughts, stomach issues. At first I wondered if it was "normal" anxiety, but it's lingering without any corresponding thoughts. My stomach feels really messed up today, but it's nothing like those first few weeks.

I figured a solid 2-3 weeks of "normal" meant I was done with these setbacks, but I guess not so much!

• Administrator

That's why we call them waves! The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Well yeah, but I just figured there was a statute of limitations or something. ;)

Annndddd.... back to not sleeping, after several weeks of 4-6 hours. I can't put my finger on any particular cause or stressor. Hopefully I'll start doing better than 4-6 hours in my  next window!

I start sleeping again after almost 2 years of never feeling "sleepy." Brain never stopped whirring. I'd be awake tormented by all that had gone down, and morning dread was almost lethal.

Then I got into medium-chain triglycerides and/or coconut oil. I am not a hippie or health supplement freak, I promise. By accident, today I found two posts that tell the story. I had forgotten how dramatic the change was. 

Before (Jan 1) In this post I was mainly complaining about morning dread. Insomnia was a given.

..."the icy-hot head pain and the cosmic despair."

I have a hunch that those of us with black mornings are not getting the kind of sleep that lets the brain regenerate new neurotransmitters for the day.
I know that feeling of dread that comes with going to bed. Yup, here we go again, and how bad will it be?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

After (Jan 4)

I've made progress on the morning terrors and other things, and I can only think of one thing I have changed. (No, this is not an ad.)

Okay, so I've been doing this only since Dec 28th [6-7 days] with any regularity.

I got interested in a recipe called "bulletproof coffee," which is black coffee, BUTTER, and medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). There's a web site by the inventor and a recent NYTimes.com article which I will link below. [i switched to coconut oil in Trader Joe's instant after running out of the MCT coffee]
I bought something on Amazon that was an instant coffee with the MCTs added, and added my own organic butter. You blend that with hot water. It's not made by the original inventor.

Since then:
For the last 3-4 days, I am not waking up with terror or dread. I'm back to just waking up and getting out of bed to deal with the dogs, and drink the coffee.

The last two nights, I have gone to sleep without any pills of any kind, have not awakened in the middle of the night with insomnia.

I don't feel like I need a cup of tea to "wake myself up" at any time during the day.
I'm not especially following the rest of the diet in this article, but I guess I avoid starch and sugar, esp. sugar. (One casualty of my w/d has been my sweet tooth--yay.) 

I'm just reporting that I tried the bulletproof coffee for the mental benefits, and seem to have found those as well as physical ones.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?view=findpost&p=115501

Here's a genius dismissing it out of hand in the NYT link below. She's wrong. Google ketogenic diet if interested.

Joan Salge Blake, a clinical associate professor of nutrition at Boston University, was skeptical, because it’s carbohydrates, absent from the drink, that are brain food. “This is not a breakfast of champions,” she said.

Here's the article that inspired me to try it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/style/the-cult-of-the-bulletproof-coffee-diet.html

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Very interesting!

I've been off caffeine for months, and have never been a coffee drinker, so I'm not eager to try that.

Fortunately, my sleep has been good lately after that last wave, and in fact, I wonder if I'm all the way back or just in the middle of a nice window. I feel close enough to "myself" that I'm not sure, so no complaints!

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple months! Thought I'd check in.

The past few weeks have been great! My symptoms were mild enough that I almost couldn't tell if they were real, or just my worrying that they were real. Going on vacation and getting out of my usual routine seemed to work wonders. I added back caffeine without incident.

Unfortunately after being woken up by snoring multiple times the past couple nights (coincidence?), I'm having a bit of a relapse. I've got the old dread and overwhelmed feelings, like I don't know what to do with myself and don't really want to do anything but sleep, which doesn't tend to come anyway, at least during the day. Even a little bit of nausea, and not feeling hungry when I really should be!

It's all more manageable than it used to be, and I'm sure it'll pass over the next few days. I'm trying to look at it as a good sign - I thought I was all the way back, but more adjustment is needed, so after this it'll be even better.

Hello Mirt,

Hope you continue to improve. Remeron is a nasty drug, please read the information on windows and waves.

I believe this is what you are experiencing.

Good luck,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

That's absolutely what I'm experiencing. I was just hoping I was done with the last wave. It's all good - it'll pass.

• Administrator

Hello, Mirt. Yes, sounds like your nervous system just needs a bit of support. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Very happy to hear that in general, you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thanks for the ☼!

I hope to be adding my story in the not-too-distant future!

Hey Mirt,

Just checking in to see how you are doing?

Hope you are well,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Thanks for asking!

I'm doing mostly okay. The wave appears to be easing after a week and a half. I still have mild racing thoughts/anxiety, anhedonia, and excess muscle tension, and I'm not getting a full night's sleep. But I try not to let it get me down, since it's so much easier than it was a few months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mirt,

Checking in to see how your doing?

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Thanks again for thinking of me!

I haven't had a true window, but symptoms have been settling down. I'm getting more comfortable with being alone, or not having anything to do - though it's still best if I keep busy. Still feeling a little "stimulated" overall - a general anxiousness (or excitement, to reframe it positively), which makes it tough to fully relax. Which means I'm still operating on less sleep than I used to, but I know it'll keep getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks later, I'm having another wave. But it's so much more manageable than it used to be. A swell, perhaps?

I've had a night of poor sleep (but at least a few hours, unlike a few months ago when I could go a couple nights in a row on basically none), anhedonia, a little nausea, and anxiety - a sort of underlying overexcitement. The idea of not knowing what I'm going to do is monumentally stressful. Which makes weekends tough, because there's no set routine.

But nothing that gets in the way of getting done what I need to get done. Of course, I don't always feel like doing what needs to get done, or anything at all, but that's another story.

We're at 6.5 months. I never would've thought I'd still be having symptoms, but it is what it is.

Hi Mirt - 

A swell is definitely better than a wave! 

I can relate to the morning dread - that is definitely how I start each day. Makes it much worse when it's the weekend and I could actually sleep in. But no....the anxiety gets me up and then, like you, I have no routine and I start feeling myself falling into a panic. 

Keep forging ahead...you will make it out the other side!

Karen

1999-Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression-CT after less than 1 yr with no prob

2000-2010-AD (can't remember which) a few times for a few months-CT each time with no prob

2012 - Ambien (sleep) and Propanolol (public speaking anxiety)

Jan 2013 - Apr 2014 - Sertraline (25, then 50mg) Ambien after bout with depression

Apr 2014 - Apr 2015 - Sertraline 100mg and Amitriptylene 25mg-CT in May/June. Did notice increased anxiety, moodiness.

Aug/Sept 2015 - Trazodone 50mg (11 days for sleep), Phentermine 37.5mg 11 days), Tramadol 50mg (2 days for kidney stone pain)

Oct 2nd - CT from Trazodone and Phentermine - CRASHED 2 days later. Severe depression, anxiety, constant crying

RI Oct 15th - Citalopram 10mg daily, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Capsule, Magnesium, Simply Sleep at night. Will start weaning 11/15 if stable.

Karen, you remind me of how much better I have it now!

It used to be exactly as you describe, but these days I sometimes actually feel groggy when I get up, and could perhaps fall back asleep. Earlier in the day is still worse in general, but it's not like it used to be, where I'd eagerly look forward to late afternoon or early evenings when symptoms would let up.

Now I wish my brain would settle for what I have now as "good enough," and stop dwelling on symptoms.

*topic moved from symptoms forum

Even now when I'm most of the way back, I find myself waking up every morning struggling to get a handle on my symptoms. Or on a good day, my lack of symptoms! Every day I reinvent the wheel.

It's like if I just find the right way to look at it, or the right motivational phrase ("the only way out is through" or "be reckless"), I'll be back to normal.

Sometimes though, it actually helps, and I stumble upon a "solution" that may work for a day or two, but never longer than that.

Even if the "solution" is just to accept whatever I think or feel, my mind searches for the best strategy to carry out that acceptance - all the while knowing that acceptance should be a non-event.

To the degree that searching for answers helps, it's easy to conclude that the symptoms are something I've done to myself, by not approaching them the "right" way.

Anyone else going through this pattern?

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

I think most of us would have been there.   Some are stuck there and heavily invested in the idea of finding a fix.   This issue is not simple, its not about finding the right lever to push  to make something change and be cured.    I haven't discovered recovery, I have created the conditions for it. Its not about one right way, its about 100 little things and my 100 little things are different to yours (with some overlap).   

I am not to blame for having a disregulated nervous system but I am the only one that can take action in response to that and I have to do that cautiously, thoughtfully and gently.   

As much as I have felt like a child at times, let down by the grown ups and scared, I have to be adult about what I do, take responsibility for my recovery and practice acceptance.   

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Great perspective Dalsaan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mirt,

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

How are you doing now?

Even now when I'm most of the way back, I find myself waking up every morning struggling to get a handle on my symptoms. Or on a good day, my lack of symptoms! Every day I reinvent the wheel.

It's like if I just find the right way to look at it, or the right motivational phrase ("the only way out is through" or "be reckless"), I'll be back to normal.

I've been in this pattern too, but my situation is a lot different from yours, I was on drugs for much longer, but the pattern is the same. 

Its probably related to the daily cortisol cycles which cause many people to have worse symptoms earlier in the day, including temporary loss of cognitive function and memory issues. It seems to me that any progress I make through the day gets lost overnight and I have to start all over again every morning. But its improving and like I said, my situation is different, you will recover much faster.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Totally understood on moving the topic.

I'm doing better! In fact, I recently decided to stop keeping track, which I think is a helpful step. It makes it easier to accept moods and sensations as they come, without trying to figure out if they are part of a larger wave/window cycle.

Of course, this only works because my symptoms are so manageable that I usually can't tell if they are "normal" or not. Maybe in part because I don't completely remember what normal feels like. But it gets me out of the "waiting to get better" mindset.

• 3 months later...

I'm checking back in after a few months of silence to post my success story. At this point, I can't tell whether or not my "symptoms" are just normal day-to-day fluctuations, so I'm calling this whole withdrawal saga done.

If I had to do it all over again, here's the advice I'd give to myself:

1. No alcohol, drugs, or pills, period. Not even magnesium, fish oil, or melatonin. If they helped me, I couldn't tell.

2. Eat salmon 2-3x/week. Fish oil accomplished!

3. Meditate 20 minutes per day first thing in the morning.

4. Be open to the present moment, whatever it brings, instead of just waiting for symptoms to pass. Life goes on, whether we're ready for it or not.

5. Learn to rest in uncertainty. Be spontaneous and avoid making plans as much as possible. This will help develop psychological flexibility.

My biggest mistake was pursuing the Cognitive Behavioral Psychology approach. In my humble but very strong opinion, CBT made things worse rather than better. Engaging with your thoughts is a mistake. You can't outthink the thinker.

Instead, meditation trains the mind to accept all thoughts, and to understand that you aren't your thoughts. I suggest downloading the Headspace app, completing the foundation series, then the anxiety pack followed by the depression pack. That's what helped me far more than anything else.

Once you've been meditating regularly for a couple months, read Sam Harris' "Waking Up" to gain a more thorough understanding of consciousness. That's when things really started to open up for me, but the first time I read it, I wasn't ready. Only after experiencing the benefits of meditation firsthand could I really connect with the book.

Honestly, I'm already better off than I was when I started this whole misadventure, and I'm guessing there's still improvement to be had.

I wish you all the best in your misadventures! As you've read here so many times before, it really does get better, even when it sometimes seems it will last forever.