eiledon20 - pristiq and clonazepam taper.

eiledon20

Previous episodes of depression:

1998 - Trauma. On prosac, endured hell for months, dont know how i survived that. I was 27.

2004 - Another trauma. Took antidepressants again for months. Cannot endure the AD's anymore, asked to be brought to hospital then i was given ECT.

This year i realised i was having suicidal ideations in 2004 maybe because of withdrawal or erratic taking of benzo.

-------------10 years no depression----------

January 2015:

I was given 50 mg pristiq and 0.5mg clonazepam when i was rushed to the psychiatrist for major depression several weeks after my girlfriend died.  Stayed in bed most days to weather out the side effects like nervousness, headache, muscle cramps. Hell on Earth. Took a leave from work.

May 2015:

Pdoc says I need to say on the pristiq for 6 months even though I complained of the side effects like muscle stifness and part of my feet and toes stiffening. Given muscle relaxants and a high dose B complex. Side effects seems unbearable. He said I could try cutting the pill or alternating days. BAD ADVISE!

June 1-13, 2015:

5 months on and tried lowering my dose.

Cut the pristiq in halves and quarters. Tried 3/4 pristiq for two days, the feet seems more relaxed.

(2 WEEKS ON 3/4 PRISTIQ)

Felt better i guess, as i can type this article now. Also cut the 0.5 mg Clonazepam bit by bit for weeks.

June 14---now

AFTER TWO WEEKS: 

1. HALF TABLET PRISTIQ per night (BEEN STAYING ON THIS DOSE FOR TWO WEEKS NOW)

2. Crumbs of clonazepam at bedtime.

Still the same as before tapering pristiq. Little motivation to watch TV or do many things. Obsessed in finding ways to get out of this rut by reading the internet. Tried swimming every other day to lift my mood.

I have tried many AD's before: Prosac, Zoloft, Citalopram. All gave me ill side effects. Pristiq is no different. I wanna bashed mg doc in the head for this meds.

I DON'T KNOW IF COMING OFF THIS MED WILL MAKE ME FEEL BETTER. I am just hoping for the regulation or going back to normal of my neurons/neurotransmitters.

Please help. Thank you.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eiledon20

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Farout

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, eiledon.

It sounds like your nervous system and antidepressants have never gotten along. That psychiatrist was remiss in keeping you on Pristiq when you had adverse reactions.

You will also need to taper off the benzo. But for now, please see Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Are you able to get 25mg Pristiq tablets?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much altostrata!. I need all the support i can get here.

Yeah i guest it's too late for that now. I can't seem to get along many antidepressants, SSRI and SNRi's both.

By the way I had previous episode with Depakote, not good. After several months, It made me more depressed and hard to get up in the morning, so PDOC does not want me on mood stabilizers I think. I also asked for Lamictal and he just shook his head.

We don't have 25mg pristiq here. I plan to cut the 1/2 pristiq into two to ease the symptoms maybe. Then take 1 every 12 hours (12.5mg each). Sounds Better?

I DID take fish oil two days now. Seems to lessen the feet muscle stiffness/pain. PDOC said the covering of the muscle at the top of the skull must have been slightly damaged (due to shock?), that's why he gave me myonal and a b-complex for the last month. Helps a bit but the progress is MICRO.

But I think I overdid the fish oil? I took 3tabs 1gram of Puritan's Pride brand per day for the past two days. I dunno if the palpitations I felt today was due to that or reading to much about a solution. :( Took 1/8 K again early in the morning, I think i had a bad dream with a brain freeze. I think I need to updose my K to 0.5mg....

Please HELP.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

pushed myself to swim even though my body feels heavy.

mood seems to lift for a couple of hours.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I am sensitive to meds too. Pristiq is shocking stuff for us sensitive types. Well done for forcing yourself to be motivated. From where I am standing that is a major win.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Farout, how long were u taking pristiq.

It seems im not improving with it after 5 mos. Little motivation to do anything but surf the web or watch videos on youtube. Food taste bland too...

Dont know if i should switch to another antidepressant or taper pristiq off totally.

Tomorrow i have appointmemt with pdoc. Dont know what to say. If i say im flat he might updose.

Do pristiq users who are stable feel "like their normal self" when they felt the full effect of this drug.?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I mean the deep depression seemed to lift after three months but felt restless many times of the day. Im losing patience with this.

Maybe the clonazepam is making me flat even at low doses...

Hard life under two meds. One is activating the brain, the other is bringing it down

... :(

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I was able to gown to crumbs of K for a week...but had to reinstate 1/8 or 0.12mg last night, had palpitations maybe bec of insomnia.

Or K was catching up?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

If fish oil helped, I would stick with it.

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) contains detailed options for Pristiq tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was only on it for three days and it messed me up. I started out with some mild, situational worries and ended up with panic attacks, hallucinations, obsessional thoughts and chronic stomach issues. (These have all passed).

I have friends who took it for a year or two and stopped because they said it stopped them feelings anything - good or bad, just flat, as you say.

It sounds to me like you have had an awful time recently. Doctors are so keen to give out these pills. I'm not an expert but I would have thought grief and depression is a normal reaction to losing a loved one, rather than an underlying illness.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Farout,

No the depression is really clinical. I had a hard time understanding many things like the tv and could not work.

The ill effects with taking pristiq was probably argrevated by the depakote withdrawal which i did not know back then!

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Thanks too alto. Actually i became obsessed with the pristiq taper thread when i learned about this site.

Just got back from my pdoc. I told him in desperation already tapered from 3/4 to 1/2. Seems to feel more comfortable with this dosage. I think ill stay on this dose for a month.

I will cut the 50mg pill into quarters and take one 1/4 pill every twelve hours to minimize "dose dumping" with a single 1/2 pill. This is the only way to go here as there is no 25mg pristiq in my country yet. I also cannot find a compounding pharmacy here.

I am scared of bridging via prosac as that also gave me adverse reactions 15 years ago.

I told this to my pdoc but what he had in mind is one 50mg tab every other day. I dont want this. So he said okay to cutting and taking daily for now....

Wish me luck and i really hope the neurons grow back....

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I cant find confectioners glazing for now to cover the exposed part of the cut pills. I used very small amounts dried bubblegum :), i dont know if it provided some kind of delay in the melting of the pill.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Took one pill fish oil again today and the muscle twitches definitely subsided. I have read that fish oil repair damaged muscle or nerves.

Will take once a day. Three days ago i overdid it and took 3x a day. Seems to be too stimulating....

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Altostrata i am asking for help. Do you have a paypal account? Can i send you paypal payment for 60 pieces of the 25mg pristiq plus fedex shipping. I needed that as their is no compounding pharmacy here in my country.

It will definitely help with my tapering...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Oops im assuming anybody can buy pristiq without prescription. Pristiq can be bought without a doctor's prescription here. Only benzos need a prescription and regulated.

Anyone can get 25mg pristiq???

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

*topic moved from symptoms section, including posts #27 #28

Currently tapering Pristiq and now on half tablet (0.25mg). Also crumbs of clonazepam. Started fish oil one tablet a day too...

Libido is low, but maybe once a week, have this urge to watch porn and have an orgasm.

Can orgasm relive symptoms and probably need less and less of the relaxing effect of clonazepam?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Sorry, I do not sell drugs.

You are doing the best you can, cutting up the Pristiq. That's all anyone can do.

The bubblegum trick is clever. I don't know if it delays absorption of the drug.

Good to hear about the fish oil. You may wish to take one with every meal.

Hi, consider looking into coconut oil. I didn't notice a change for the better until coconut oil. I can't vouch for this source, but there are worthwhile links.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/new-alzheimers-drugs-continue-to-fail-where-coconut-oil-shines/

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Thanks for the coconut oil info. But it was too long. Brain can't digest all the facts yet.

So summary is virgin coconut oil helps in healing the brain????

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I was taking the 1/2 pristiq at nightime for two weeks now.

Last night i tried to do 1/4 before going to bed and after 12 hours, took the other 1/4.

Felt different...not sure if good or bad. Will observe...

I m thinking if i took a single 1/2 dose at bedtime, maybe i could sleep off the side effects rather than feeling the effects during the daytime.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Just felt a little disappointed today with my brother who i stayed with. My brother doesnt seem to like the idea of going down on my dosage of pristiq.

He has no idea of how SSRI/SNRI work. Does not even read about depression on the net and how antidepressants operate. His reasoning is he is not a doctor and cannot make any conclusion. Okay i understand his point.

Sufferers like us really are on our own most of the time.

My reason for tapering is to slowly allow the neurons to regulate itself without the serotonin reuptake inhibitor drugs. My pdoc says okay im already on it five months, seems okay to try going down.

I had a previous depression episode 15 years ago where i abruptly stop prosac

after 5-6 months and got "healed" from my depression. I did know then how nurotransmitter works and that prosac has a longer half life and easier to get off.

Just hoping the neuron transporter and receiver goes back to normal SLOWLY without the pristiq antidepressant.

I just felt still heavy specially when waking up. My clonazepam is already down to crumbs. Does pristiq causes body heaviness? But as the day goes by, i felt slighlty lighter and around 5pm can go bike around around the neighborhood for 30 mins. Sometimes i can swim 30mins on alternate days. Pushing myself to feel better. I know exercising affects another chemical-endorphins. Unrelated probably to serotonin...

Actually i felt "best" before it is time to take my pristiq at night. Maybe the drug side effects are lower during this time. I have no cravings for it. But i know tapering is the best way to go.

Thank you for all support my new found friends, specially altostrata.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your depression wasn't clinical or downplay it. I just meant that it seemed like it was caused by an appalling life situation rather than any underlying, long term 'chemical imbalance'.

I intended it to be a comfort in knowing that it is not your normal baseline if you have those times, as we tend to do in WD, of wondering if this is relapse or some previously unknown psychiatric illness starting.

Sorry again.

No worries farout

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I decided to go for a short 30min swim even if my body is feeling heavy.

While swimming, I suddenly had this thought:

15 years ago (my first depressive episode) after a traumatic event. I felt confusion, panic and cannot understood what i was reading. I was given prosac and had adverse reactions like muscle pain, twitching, panic attack, palpitations. I dont know how i survive, it was like hell. I was transfered to zoloft, citalopram etc, all had bad reactions. Then was sent back to prosac. I was also given muscle relaxants and b complex during my stay in the hospital on the fourth or fifth month.

Then my depression seems to lift. I was able to stop prosac on the 6th month. Did not know about cold turkey and withdrawal as the pdoc said it is not addictive.

Last year after suffering loss and grieving. Depression again.

I was thinking if a am slighlty bipolar2 as pdoc suggested. I could come off antidepressants more quickly? What i've read about manic depressives is they need to come off antidepressants quickly?

I was able to come down from 1 tablet 50mg pristiq to 3/4 then 1/2 (duration per step is two weeks).

Had some slight chill in the head when waking up and i cope by taking warm showers upon waking.

I told my pdoc after five months, its either i taper my antidepressant or switch to another med. He does not want anymore addition of drugs, so he agreed. The usual every other day.

Well now im on 1/2 pill nightly. I dont know if i should go down every two weeks like i did before or taper very slowly which will prolong my stay on this drug?

Any advice?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Yes for me I masturbate more often. Just anything to calm me down lol including the unhealthy habit of chronic cigarette smoking lol. For about the first four months I could not achieve orgasm so its great to have that back. The first few months of withdrawal I bearly thought of sex which is the first time in my young life

• Administrator

This can easily be ascertained on an individual level by trying it.

I recorded my conversation with my pdoc the past three months. I listened to some again when I complained that I always felt some uneasiness at times with the antidepressants. I was surprised he said pristiq is RELAXING. I think he is in denial that some people have adverse reactions to antidepressants or he is lying.

It did lift the depression but the side effects never went away. Maybe decreased in intensity only...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eiledon , this site recommends NEVER to taper by alternating days of dosing.

You've come down 50% in 4 weeks , which is pretty fast. I'd be inclined to go slowly from here on.

Does it really matter if your taper takes a bit longer? The main objective is that you don't get serious withdrawal syndrome.

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi fresh.

Thank you for your concern. No one really understood tapering slowly here. My sister weaned off prosac some years ago by alternating days, i told them prosac has arnd 5 days half life that's why it's okay.

Yeah that 50% was a very fast taper. Learned it too late. Should have stayed 3/4 for a month.

Anyway, i will stay on 1/2 maybe for 2 more weeks. It is really hard cutting this thing. I can't find help in getting the 25mg pill in the USA.

Taking fish oil to minimize symptoms. Hope it helps.

Ive been craving some foods. Specially the first taper from 1pill to 3/4. Craving sweets like ice cream and cookies.

Constipation was lifted mostly...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Plan to shave off the 1/2 with a blade as i go down. So i won't make a big cut. Hard to accuraretly cut.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Very few doctors know anything about tapering psychiatric drugs. Sounds like yours doesn't know anything about adverse reactions, either.

It sounds like your prior "depressive episode" when you came off Prozac was withdrawal syndrome.

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) explains how to do it in great detail.

Hi alto. No, every depressive episode i had was triggered by life events.

I just dont know what "stable" under antidepressants is like. Wanting to live and survive is stable?

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants. Side effects like muscle twitching, restlessness etc. My body is very sensitive to chemicals, i had allergic rhinitis and cant tolerate smoke and pollen. Also Dustmites.

All i know is i never had an experience where i take them for more than 6months or so. From the prescriptions i keep. Side effects never went away while taking them for months. Just minimized. The first three months is always unbearable. Is that normal? Always had to stop my life like work, etc.

Going down on my AD now seems to make me feel better. Had heaviness when waking up which was normal for the 5months ive been taking it. Had mild nauseau. Wants to stay in bed a little longer. I think i need to say on 1/2 for now. (decision made by a foggy brain). Dont want to go back up either.

I am just hoping the neurons in my brain regulate itself or grow back when i remove the serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

By the way, im also on crumbs of clonazepam before going to bed. Dont wannà go beyond 0.10 mg either as i have difficulty the next day, so tired and just lay in bed half of the day. Down from the original 0.5 mg prescription.

I belive the K was given to counteract the effects of the antidepressant.

What my pdoc initially planned is stay on AD for 6 mos and taper from there...so im hoping to get better mentally as i go down.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

No, your doctor should not force you to stay on a psychiatric drug with persistent adverse effects. Those adverse effects are bad for your nervous system.

"Stable" means no adverse effects or withdrawal symptoms.

You wrote:

I had a previous depression episode 15 years ago where i abruptly stop prosac

Did you have the "depression episode" after you abruptly stopped Prozac? If so, it was probably withdrawal syndrome.

You need to consider non-drug treatments for "depression."

The "crumbs of clonazepam" are significant. Please include this in your signature, see Please put your withdrawal history in your signature