eiledon20 - pristiq and clonazepam taper.

eiledon20

No alto, the "relapse" it is a different situation. Not withdrawal. That was five years apart. I was brought to court by a mistake i made. I was young and stupid i guess. Did not know how to handle that one and had a severe panic attack and "depression" again. But it ended well with a settlement. I did not know about panic attacks then also.

My first episode I brought myself to a pychiatrist as no one noticed im in depression bec i can walk around but i felt in limbo and foggy. My small business crashed. I was 27. I think a panic attack also triggered it.

Many times i was switched from one antidepressant to another. Severe agitation and muscle pain. Prozac, zoloft, escitalopram. Tried them. Is that akathisia?

My symptoms of "depression" usually include forgetullness, confusion, not being able to understand the tv. My face looked like a ghost then. What kept me from suicide is thinking about my mom and siblings. I dont want them to witness that. So i endured the prosac and other ADs for 6-7 months.

The first episode with prosac concluded with me having muscle pains and spasms and admitted to hospital and given muscle relaxants. The second episode prosac again then concluded with an ECT. I check my hospital stay, i was given muscle relaxant, lupram and lithium. After several weeks i was checked out and continued the antidepressant and lithium for several weeks. I felt better and did not came back to pdoc thinking i was cured by the ECT.

Spent the next 10 years well. Work, leisure, lovelife, etc...like any normal person.

Now the last episode, i lost a loved one and went into the same things again.

I cant remember what is stable anymore. : on and off antidepressants, i felt restless. That's why i did the fast taper because my left toes was clenching. Endured five months on this. It lifted the deep depression but i cant live with the side effects anymore.

Maybe the clonazepam is needed at the regular dose of 0.5mg for me to wean this pristiq off and just sleep all day. As they affect different neurons?

I am mostly homebound anyway.

Feeling sh*tty. Wake up with mild sweats this morning.

I remember the pdoc said we will taper the pristiq first before the clonazepam. I think i needed the clonazepam to sleep to remove the ssri from my system. I cant do much with 0.5 mg clonazepam. Just lie down most days. Thats why i weaned myself to crumbs over a month.

Seriously reconsidering another ECT even though my pdoc is against it, he said there is a possible memory loss. I dunno what to do anymore sometimes... :( Maybe i just needed the neurons to regulate itselt after going off the pristiq. Hoping for a miracle.

I did not know why he gave me pristiq, i complained when he gave me escitalopram. He said pristiq is a new med and better and does not cause suicidal thoughts like prosac.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eiledon20

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Farout

Top Posters In This Topic

Now i dont know if antidepressants cause one to be bipolar2. He onced said i am bipolar2. Lately i asked again why he is not giving me a mood stabilizer. He said i have had bad reactions to depakote and lithium. I ask am I Bipolar2? He said it is a grey area.

I have to commend him for not adding another med in my cocktail. but i am really having a hard time now.

I wanna quit pristiq but my mind can't get out of the thought of quitting. I think i have to live in a forest and isulate myslef while weaning.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

I also don't wanna stay longer on the low dose clonazepam, thats why i made that drop from 50mg to 37.5 to 25mg. So i can stop pristiq then the K.

I know it was fast for pristiq. Not sure too if the withdrawal would be lesser in intensity as ive been on pristiq for just five months. It was a living hell. Experienced head zaps even while on it. The K was given to help me sleep. That was horrible.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

ECT does nothing for withdrawal syndrome or assisting tapering.

However much clonazepam you're taking, if you're taking it regularly, do not play with the dosage. Be very regular about how much you take and when you take it.

"Depressive episodes" triggered by life events used to be called "situational depression." Originally, psychiatric drugs were not intended to treat situational depression.

You seem to have bad experiences with psychiatric drugs. Think very carefully about whether you want to spend the rest of your life on this merry-go-round.

If you have great difficulty tapering Pristiq, you may wish to switch to its close relative Effexor XR and taper by counting beads. This is explained in Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Okay i will keep these in mind.

Looking back i think many of my ill feelings before were due to WITHDRAWALS. Had not known this now if not for the internet.

"Discontinuation syndrome" is just a fancy term for it.

i think i needed the antidepressant but i have sensitive body chemistry and adverse reaction to this psych meds...

I think it helped for a while coz no positive talk lifted me from the deep hole. Im just not quite sure the 6 months is the "standard" treatment on antidepressants. They should include another 6 months as "standard" for withdrawal! :P

Things said here about pdocs writing subscriptions but dont know how to taper patients properly is true. Oh well...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Thank you alto for keeping an eye on my posting.

Not sure about effexor. My meds are being bought by my brother. And they insisted i dont switch meds without pdocs written script.

If i take effexor, my body will recognize it as pristiq? Just very hessitant in trying another psych drug. (Trying to be postive and not use the S word)

Lately, my taste buds are horrible. Like i need very sweet or salty food to have an apetite to eat them. But ill manage and eat...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Felt better.

I take my cut 25mg pristiq at night. It's just my body felt really tired and heavy specially when waking up. But gets lighter toward the late afternoon and night. Must be the pristiq. Anybody experience this?9

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Did you try Effexor XR before? What was your reaction to it?

Effexor and Pristiq are extremely close relatives. It's likely your body will think it's Pristiq.

Yes, you will need a prescription from a doctor. Generally, they have no problem if you say you want to try a different antidepressant.

You will want to start Effexor XR while you still have some Pristiq left, so you can cross-taper (take half your dose in Pristiq and half in Effexor for a week).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto. I have not tried effexor before. My pdoc wants me to taper from pristiq only. I mentioned cross taper prozac and he shook his head. Maybe he saw my reactions to prozac before.

I seem to feel better as I decrease my dose of pristiq. Been on 1/2 (of 50 mg) for more than two weeks now. Mornings are harder than evenings, maybe because the drug is fading from my blood? (i take pristiq at night).

I have been on this drug for 4 months at regular 50mg dosage. The "depression" did lift but the side effects are intolerable. Anxiety is a side effect for me. The clonazepam was given to counter the side effects i think. I dont wanna stay on the clonazepam for long either, thats why i tapered slowly to crumbs nightly before bedtime. Some nights i dont need to take crumbs.

I have never stayed on antidepressants for more than 6 mos in my previous episodes triggered by life events. The last was the passing of a loved one.

I have read that for some patients. If i felt better, i can decrease dose faster. I dunno, my case seems unique. If i stayed on this drug for several more months, do i prolong the agony. i dunno if i will be dependent on clonazepam, even though the pdoc said the initial dose was "low" (0.5mg). I am now on crumbs...

I was thinking to drop to 3/4 of the 25mg (self cut) for another two weeks. Making the dose around 18.75 mg. Really hard to cut.

The issue is I HAVE NEVER STAYED ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR LONG. Prolong the agony or taper faster than "normal" people...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Did i mention the pdoc said i "might" be sligthy bipolar2? But i have also ill reactions to depakote and lithium before. I don't have "manic" episodes also.

Last time i asked him if im really a mild bipolar. He said hard to say because it is a "grey" area. Don't know if he is telling the truth or just saying that so i don't have to think about it.

Did he say i might be slightly bipolar2 because of my ill reactions to antidepressants?

All i have learned from my foggy brain is bipolars dont stay on AD for long either.

I am not feeling "depressed" lately. I just hate how i was given this "disease" when i could gotten some "normal" illness instead.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

One thing is sure. I felt better now than i was on my full dose 50mg pristiq.

My mind is clearer. I can enjoy my hobbies again like listening to music and videos. I will try to swim on short duration again if my body permits. Just felt slow and heavy during the meds. I really enjoy swimming before i got sick.

Hoping for continued healing...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Night time is best time for me. i take my pristiq at night. Sometimes i felt good that time passed the hour that i am due to take the med. I have no cravings for it.

In fact it would be better if i forget to take and realize all this was a long nightmare.

But I do need to taper, so will have to make do with cutting smaller increments.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Your pdoc doesn't know anything about withdrawal symptoms, so he calls it "slightly bipolar." This is nonsense.

Why does he insist you taper directly from Pristiq?

You are correct, cutting the tablet causes Pristiq to leave your body faster. You can 1) Put up with the daytime withdrawal symptoms, 2) Take a little crumb of Pristiq in the morning as well as the piece you take in the evening, OR 3) Switch to Effexor XR.

If the daytime withdrawal symptoms get worse, I would consider #2 or #3.

A couple of us here in Australia are having our pristiq compounded into smaller amounts and the pharmacist is adding a slow release additive which won't be as long as the medicine but it should help. Not sure if this is an option available to you but maybe one to consider.

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

Alto, i have bad reactions to most antidepressants including Prozac. Took it 15 years ago and my feet and hands seem to explode or burn for days/weeks. Also bleeding gums when brushing. So i would not try that one.

So i have to stick with cutting pills. Tapering down seems to make my body heavy or was it like this even during the full dose.

So far no bad withdrawals like vomitting or what. Just some unpleasant feelings. I reorganize some data on my PC then I took a 30 minute bike ride later in the afternoon. I can say i feel better than when i was on my full dose. Maybe been on just 4 hellish months made the tapering easier?

Also been licking just crumbs off my palm (before bedtime) of clonazepam the past week. Two days not taken any.

Crossing my fingers for healing of my neurons. Or regulation going back to normal.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Alua, no such thing here in Manila. Not even the 25mg pill...

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

No 25mg pill here in Australia either!

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

• Administrator

Well, eiledon, you just have to do the best you can. We have people here who have successfully tapered directly from Pristiq by cutting up the tablets. Be sure you keep the odd fragments, they could come in handy later.

Eiledon - Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Feel free to take a look at my initial post, as I was on Pristiq for about the same amount of time as you. Best of luck to you. 

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks. When i feel better ill log into my computer and place a signature

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Just woke up with that yuck feeling. Trying to distract myself by taking a warm shower.

Felt a but dizzy. Can i take motion sickness meds? Or just let it pass. i will observe if i feel better later.

Jaclyn are you better now

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I am taking omega 3 fish oil softgel.

Has anyone tried others like boiled ginger for nauseau or mild dizziness?

Thanks

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Go to the Symptoms and Self-Care forum and do a search for ginger. You will see our discussions about it.

Thanks alto.

Usually felt mild dizziness when waking up and body heaviness. Coping by chewing on a banana or tasty biscuit which i kept beside my bed, maybe chewing distracts my brain.

Felt slightly better as the day progresses.

Getting little support from my family. They insisted i should follow the every other day dosing of my pdoc. You know, they dont wanna read about what withdrawal is and take everything the doctors say as the absolute truth here in our country.

Thank you guys for helping me with this.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

If you take Pristiq at night, that could be causing the heavy feeling in the morning. You may wish to move part of your Pristiq dose earlier in the day.

Things look clearer.

Taking 1/2. Stil some dizziness in the morning but improves as the day passes.

I Was able to take a 30min swim.

Will the dizziness worsen as the dosage become smaller?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Thanks alto. I am really not 100% sure if this is from the tapering of pristiq, fish oil or the clonazepam.

I felt okay without the clonazepam. From crumbs, i have not taken any in 5 days....can still sleep okay.

Just the weird feeling when waking up.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Except for the dizziness or lightheadedness, i really felt better.

At night, Music seems more enjoyable. TV is okay. Been taking out some old dvd to rewatch and distract myself from whatever im feeling.

Sometimes i forgot to take the 1/2 Pristiq at the designated time and i dont miss it!

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

eil, please put your updates in your Intro topic rather than the Pristiq tapering topic. Thank you.

Getting little support from my family. They insisted i should follow the every other day dosing of my pdoc. You know, they dont wanna read about what withdrawal is and take everything the doctors say as the absolute truth here in our country.

This is true in any country ..family members are pharma's covert weapon while pdocs their overt weapon.

We have all had this, you need to ignore these clueless voices because they are all coming from a position of total ignorance. They cannot imagine or conceive this plight.

But now YOU KNOW thanks to the thousands of testimonies of people on this site you are not in a position of ignorance any longer.

Take responsibility for your situation stand firm and don't let others who have no idea push you back onto the medicated train wreck.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (20014-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdosc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis.

I am so sorry at the loss of your partner.

Having a partner die would give anyone depressive symptoms ...thats not depression its called grief and that is called life. Your pdoc is simply medicalizing normality and it is wrong! These people are very dangerous. Your pdoc is talking rubbish.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Sorry for that alto. Some hours brain fog (?) just creeps in specially in the morning. I mispost in the pristiq thread.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

nz11, yeah maybe i am misdiagnosed as bipolar2. who knows. i just wanna graduate from this med that is giving me a hard time.

the grief i had turned into depression really, i could not understand what others were saying and had extreme confusion. so i think i do need the antidepressant for a time. i have no intention on being on this for long.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Down to 1/8 of pristiq tablet nightly.

I think the nevaramin b-complex is causing more drowsiness. Today I have not taken any and feel more awake than dreamy.

I'll switch to neurobion b-complex and observe.

Still taking fish oil nightly....

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

You may want to hold at this level for a while, to make sure withdrawal symptoms from prior decreases are not waiting in the wings.

short term memory seems to improve. i can remember to text back some SMS i just received this morning. crossing my fingers....

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.