SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

eiledon20 - pristiq and clonazepam taper.

eiledon20

Very low mood in the morning. Lightheaded too.

Tried to bike in the afternoon. Find myself smiling after a fruit vendor smiled back at me. Then mood lifted. I smiled at some people i saw on the street.

Saw a small park. Lay on the grass for an hour. The wind and grass felt so good.

I hope this is reversal of my "depression". Extremely moody.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eiledon20

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• Farout

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling **** today. I will try to take some crumbs and see any adverse reactions.

Now i tried licking the side of a cut pristiq. VERY SMALL particles of pristiq. After a few minutes, i felt a different tingling in my hand and head. And mild palpitations.

Just that small dose is causing so much reactions.

I AM SCARED I DONT WANNA GO ABOVE just licking the side of a cut pristiq. I feel like im going to have a panic attack if I ingested bigger crumbs.

I AM NO WAY GONNA GO BACK ON BENZOS AGAIN.

Shall i reinstate or go ahead with the withdrawal?

This is a dilemna. Please give me some advice alto.

Thank you.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

Better mood today. I am not going back to reinstatement just yet.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Okay, i tried to ingest some crumbs for anxiety...lets see and wait.

Reinstating crumbs. Anxiety lifted a bit. Headache on top of head better.

I hope i can stabilize here. And no insomnia i hope. In case of insomnia i hope small portion of melatonin works. Than taking a benzo

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Shall i stabilize on this crumb for how many days/weeks?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Okay I have become very anxious the past week. ALSO depression or confusion.

I have reinstated 1/4 pristiq last night. I hope to be more stable at this dosage.

Also clonzepam. I hope i wont need to take this beyond the week for the pristiq to stabilize.

I have palpitations when i took the 1/4 pristiq. When will it stabilize?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Updose 1/4 pristiq. As i felt very depressed and anxious the past days.

Well too much for hoping....

I even wonder if the neurogeneration of the receptors is possible. Even if true this will probably take years. While i am only in a four month full dosage of 50mg.

Doubt cripping in :(

Please give me reassurance guys.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

eiledon, please put such questions in your Intro topic. It may be overlooked in the other topics.

Since it's so hard to cut up Pristiq accurately, I suggest you get a prescription for Effexor or its generic, venlafaxine, and take a small amount of that. If you can get the extended-release capsules, you can take perhaps 10 beads each day.

Venlafaxine is a close relative of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine). This technique is explained in Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi eiledon ,  how have things been going for you?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor

Hello, and welcome, how are you?   Write to us............................ no drug is the same as another drug........... just tell us you are OK?????? please, are you OK?

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone who is asking about me.

I am okay.

Now taking 20mg fluoxitine every other day and Quilonium-R (Lithium Carbonate 450mg) cut in half. One in morning, one in evening.

Sorry i was not checking this site as i wanna distract my mind with some other things.

I dunno when my pdoc will agree to further lowering my dosage.  Anyway, wish me luck

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• Administrator

Please do not skip days while taking fluoxetine. You might take 10mg each day. This topic explains how to take half a capsule Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

How do you feel after the switch fron Pristiq to fluoxetine? How did you make the switch?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 years later...

Asking for help from experienced experts here please. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

My mental history: After no more traumatic life event, I got "well" with no meds, and was able to live a good life from 2016-2021. My depression anxiety/depression triggered by life events. Death, Disease, etc.

Traumatic event again Sept 25. 2022 - 4th stage cancer diagnosis of my sister who is very close to me growing up. We live in same apartment with my brother and sister in law. Different rooms of course.

2 weeks later, prescribed Xanax 0.125mg 3x a day for waking up with panic at night. Heart pounding, feet cold. I think something went wrong with my brain chemicals.

Started October 7, then slowly tapered tru December, while being onboarded with Escitalopram 10mg. 1/4 then 1/2 then 1. Upon reaching 10mg, I can't stand the side effects - Can't sit still, ringing in ears, etc.

Taken off immediately Dec 15th. (maybe i should have taken the 3x a day Xanax to onboard Escitalopram, does it work that way?)

Went to another doctor February 2023, told my agitation history with different SSRI's: Esci, Zoloft, Fluoxetine, Pristiq.

Given Buspirone 5mg 3x a day. Works(?) a little bit but still with mental fog, depression?

I asked if I need an antidepressant. I had short experience with Prozac 20mg many many years ago. I got "well" in 2016. My depression anxiety/depression triggered by life events. Death, Disease, etc.

We tried Fluoxetine again March 2. Taken morning 8-10am.

*3 weeks at 5mg

*2 weeks 10mg

Now I am feeling inner restlessness again hours after low dose Fluoxetine and want to move here and there. Anxiety triggered by Fluoxetine? There are some days i have s**** thoughts because of the difficulty, but keep telling myself they are just thoughts. Need to survive for the rest of my family. 

Should I stop and hoping the neurotransmitters can regulate itself after that? Or should I continue and hope the side effects go away? If it does? 

I am very hessitant in trying another SSRI. I've come a long way with low dose Fluoxetine now a month. But I can't stand the Prozac side effects either. Restlessness, Insomnia, Random Palpitations, Random Faster Heart Rate. Side effects seems to be lesser at night. I read benzo like Xanax can help with the anxiety side effects?, or is there any other way to fight the side effects??? 

I called my doctor and he said I could taper the Fluoxetine and maybe try a different antidepressant. I know another SSRI will cause the same horrendous side effects. I want to survive for the rest of my family.

Stop or Continue? Half of my SMALL brain now says to continue and half says to quit. :(

Please HELP.

THANKS!!!

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

@eiledon20

you have already been through withdrawal so we don't have to tell you how bad it can be. You have chosen to do this to yourself again. We will never advise someone to start antidepressants (unless it is a reinstatement to combat withdrawal symptoms which your case is not), we are a site for coming off of ADs with the least harm. Whatever harm you incur you are doing it with full knowledge of the possible issues so you are doing it with informed consent. We can't hold your hand if you are creating your own problems. 

Please talk to your doctor for advice. 

OMW 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate