☼ Katamari My story and progress so far after quitting venlafaxine

Katamari

KT38 Yes, I took my last dose in Dec 2014. 

My history:
Escitalopram 5-10mg 2006-2008

Fluoxetine 40mg 2008-2010
Venlafaxine 150mg 2010 - December 2014
I tapered off very quickly:
1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katamari

• SquirrellyGirl

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Now I'm at home alone this whole weekend. I'm crying and feeling anxious, but it seems that these episodes start to fade away after the point I'm crying. So that's positive. 

This week I've been wondering where the hell do these terrible fears and thoughts come from? Things like getting old, death, the fact that my family members will die someday really upsets me. Is this my own psychological issue or is this something related to withdrawal? Death related stuff has never been any issue to me, then why on earth is it now popping in my head all the time?? 

HI Katamari, 

I was just getting acquainted with your journey and came across this, and it just compelled me to write!  When I was in protracted withdrawal from Effexor last spring, I had these exact same troubling thoughts! OMG , climate change and freaking out about that on top of the ones you mentioned!  What is it about Effexor WD that does this?!!!  You are the first person who I've seen write about that!  It was truly terrifying at the time.

I'm still going through your thread to see where you are today, but just had to comment while this was fresh in my mind...

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

SquirrellyGirl Thank you for your post! Those dark obsessive thoughts sure were disturbing. But like everything else in this whole withdrawal thing, it passed by after few weeks. I haven't got them since. 

Here is some new update: I got to experience a perfect example about GPs that just don't have a clue. I was recently offered with a long-term employment contract and to accept it, I needed to deliver a certificate about my current state of health, written by a GP. That GP appointment was yesterday. She saw the previous markings about my depression and anxiety and of course she wanted to know how I'm doing at the moment and if I'm on any AD's at the moment. Well, I wanted to see if this GP knew anything about withdrawal (like maybe things have changed in these past years and there is more knowledge about it) and I told her how my past year had been like. After I told her that quitting venlafaxine caused me some difficult phases and last one was just a week ago, she said "Did you know that bipolar disorder comes in many shapes?" Then she continued to tell me about medication for bipolar disorder...

I managed convince her that in my case it is not bipolar, my main symptom is fight or flight state in my body. She then noted that it is anxiety disorder and I need to learn how to deal with it, or start to take esscitalopram. I said I already know how to deal with that and AD's are absolutely no option. 

I felt frustrated and discouraged, even though I'm absolutely sure I'm not bipolar. I feel like having a stamp on my forehead that says "mental". 
It is clear now that knowledge about AD withdrawal hasn't reached our healthcare. What a shame. I'm afraid that If I ever go see a doctor with any nonspecific symptoms, it will be treated as another psychosomatic symptom of anxiety disorder. Will they ever take me serious after being marked as a psychiatric patient?

Despite this upsetting happening, I've had very pleasant week. I'm happy and energetic. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

I can imagine it was hard being at the doctors and having to listen to all that.  Doctors can really shake us up, even when we know they are not right.  Keep looking for a doctor that will listen and take you more seriously - there are some out there, even if they still don't entirely get it. 

As far as I can tell many doctors seem to latch onto a symptom then immediately reach for the latest label and corresponding drug - "Oooh, that sounds like bipolar!  Fun!  Lets try you on this new drug!"   What is the point of being a doctor?  A robot could do that, or a vending machine at the mall....

I guess you've read that many people who've been on ad's are then misdiagnosed as bipolar?  Bipolar - it's the new black :wacko:

I'm really glad your week after that went well - at least in your real like you know what's what, and you are getting things slowly sorted.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup, I ended up on Effexor after having walking pneumonia and laryngitis so bad that I couldn't sleep lying down or make a sound for a month!  I went to the doctor and he said I was depressed, and I said of course I was, because I was sick and tired of being so sick!  He said no, you are generally depressed and need to see a psychiatrist and get treated!  So I dutifully went and got put on Effexor.  I can't remember if I was still on Wellbutrin at the time or whether I had quit.  Memory is totally messed up by this drug!  

So, agreed, I don't trust them except for the most obvious of things!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Katamari,

I understand completely. When I told my Dr that I think I have Protraacted WD, he looked pissed. He said that he can't help me. That he needs to pass me to a psychiatrist saying I'm too "complex"! I hope you are doing well otherwise.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Wow Katamari,

Thanks for continuing to post your progress. It is so refreshing to read that you have coped so well with all this. Even though you have had time off work, at least you have been well enough to continue after each wave and not give up. You should be so proud. And to be feeling creative again is wonderful. How I miss that. But it's given me something to look forward to down the track.

Like you, anxiety can be a problem for me. I'm just wondering if you have ever tried any therapy for it and if so, does it help? After dealing with the medical profession and being in this predicament, I guess we are all looking for anything that helps us - apart from drugs!

You mention that you don't have any trouble during the long winter but that you are affected when spring comes. There is a thing called seasonal affective disorder that may help you to understand what your body and mind go through in the far northern hemisphere. Also have you had your vitamin d levels checked? It's a simple blood test and easy to fix with supplements. I only mention it because my mothers side of the family all lived in Shetland and it was a known problem over 200years ago known then as Shetland melancholia. It may be worth looking into.

Anyway, stay well and keep surfing those waves!

Seeker

8 years on venlafaxine (generic name Altven). Various doses then 3 years on 75mg. Tapered off too quickly with very bad withdrawals. Put back on at higher dose of 150mg to stabilise. Been at 150mg for a year. Stable and ready to taper slowly.

Dosage 150mg. Average beads in each capsule 543

January 2016. Start tapering. Also taking fish oil, vit e daily and magnesium as required.

08/01 started with 5% taper, held for 2 weeks the. Another 5% and held for a month.

3rd March another 10% cut, now taking out 102 beads. Hold for a month then assess.

Wow Katamari,

Thanks for continuing to post your progress. It is so refreshing to read that you have coped so well with all this. Even though you have had time off work, at least you have been well enough to continue after each wave and not give up. You should be so proud. And to be feeling creative again is wonderful. How I miss that. But it's given me something to look forward to down the track.

Like you, anxiety can be a problem for me. I'm just wondering if you have ever tried any therapy for it and if so, does it help? After dealing with the medical profession and being in this predicament, I guess we are all looking for anything that helps us - apart from drugs!

You mention that you don't have any trouble during the long winter but that you are affected when spring comes. There is a thing called seasonal affective disorder that may help you to understand what your body and mind go through in the far northern hemisphere. Also have you had your vitamin d levels checked? It's a simple blood test and easy to fix with supplements. I only mention it because my mothers side of the family all lived in Shetland and it was a known problem over 200years ago known then as Shetland melancholia. It may be worth looking into.

Anyway, stay well and keep surfing those waves!

Seeker

Yep that's absolutely correct, some people do have reverse SAD that comes on in the spring - http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/seasonal-affective-disorder/

2001-2002 Venlafaxine 300mg (2 x 150mg double strength Efexor XL). Instructed by GP to reduce dosage by alternating between 300mg one day and 0mg the next, with predictable results. Managed that for approx 2 weeks, then to avoid suicide went full cold turkey.

2009-2015 Successful non-drug treatments - CBT for anxiety, light therapy for seasonal affective disorder.

2001-2015 ongoing withdrawal symptoms. Primarily apocalyptic nightmares that take a full day to recover from, also loss of smell and memory.

Thank you all for your posts. 

I should put all the supplements I'm using into my signature. They are magnesium, vitamin D and melatonin (if needed). 

I've had therapy years ago, when I was 16 or 17 years old. It was helpful, indeed, and I still use the same methods I learned back then. It is basically just remembering to think in a right way about difficult anxiety-causing situations. Things like what's the worst thing that could happen and if that really happened, would it really be the end of the world? Is the problem in what other people would think about me? Does it even matter? And so on. My biggest lesson back then and also today is to stop analyzing stuff too much. To give less f***s!

Other very important thing that helped me a lot, is understanding that this predilection of being anxious and depressed is a downside of being sensitive, caring and intuitive person. It gives things value when you react so strongly about them. That is a huge benefit, not just a flaw!

When reading this forum, I've noticed that people here are friendly, clever and compassionate. Those types are kinda rare today, aren't they? (Especially on the internet!)  It's because this withdrawal syndrome forces you to face and solve very deep issues, and that really makes you level up as a person. Those kinds of people earn my respect. Then one day you can count yourself as a person worth respect. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Administrator

Well said, Katamari!

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ditto!  That was such a wonderfully written post!  Thank you for sharing, Katamari!  I'm glad you are here!

SG

Hello Katamari!  Your posts are encouraging!  I am glad you are making good progress!  You are a strong person and should be proud of yourself.  I have been on effexor in the past and it is hard to transition off of.  I have a question of you...do your waves seem to be shorter and milder now that you are a year off?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Thanks to all of you for supporting me!

downtongirl, Yes, my waves have gotten shorter and milder. I had a hard one around christmas and new year, but even that was nothing compared to those I had last summer. Back then anxiety was severe and my main past time was lying down and suffering. Nowadays they just make me feel awful, but won't affect much my daily living. Rage and obsessive fearful thoughts are also gone, thank goodness.

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god. It seems that this withdrawal journey is just a pile of issues that needs to be worked out one by one. When I have solved one issue, a different and a new one comes up. 

Right now it seems that my recovery has....changed somehow. It feels like I have this very strange atmosphere in my life. This very creepy, hollow feeling has sneaked into me. There is no anxiety, just this uncomfortable feeling. This is somehow related to the "apocalyptic fear" I had about 6 months ago.

That's not all. My main problem at the moment is something that seems to be very common among survivors here. Its apathy. 
Pretty soon after quitting venlafaxine came this huge excitement of doing things, starting new hobbies and such.  Those glimpses were a reminder of what life could be, or is supposed to be, and that is why this apathy feels so cruel. What makes this even harder, is that apathy was my number one symptom, when I got depressed years ago. But I refuse to believe that is the case, because like I said earlier, it is common around here at SA.

I feel like a mentally disturbed animal in a cave. I haven't got outside for days. And I don't even want to. I don't care.

By the way,the hardest season of the year is about to begin. It may put some extra spice to all this...

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Katamari, 

I could relate to what you wrote.  I know that hollow feeling you spoke of, relating to the apocalyptic fear (also had that!) somehow.  I've had little waves of this.  And I've suffered the apathy big time.  It was strange, just wanting to stay on the couch, almost a type of agoraphobia, no desire to go outside and do any of the things that used to drive me.

On advice of Rockingchaircat, I recently got a SAD lamp and since using it I actually got outside and tackled a couple of projects that I had ideas to do but just couldn't get the impetus to start.  It felt so good to have accomplished something!  My endurance for such activities is not great, and I have to come in and rest between bouts of activity, but it's an improvement!

Maybe that would be something to consider, starting slowly.  I think we end up in a vicious cycle, because the more we stay inside, the less light we get and so the more we want to stay in...we create a white light deficiency in ourselves by the very nature of staying indoors!  Just my hypothesis!

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say Hi, and to say I empathize!  

SG

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a very good documentary called The Origins of disease - Depression. It finally made me understand why I got depressed in the first place when I was young, and also what makes this withdrawal so hard to go through. It is all about amygdala! 

Recently I've been experiencing mild anxiety around the clock. Nothing severe, there is no crying or anything, I just feel it being there. It is like a Jaws theme song was playing in the background quietly all the time. 

Since this anxiety seems to be caused by overly stimulated amygdala, it still tries to make me figure out the cause of my anxiety. Since there are no reasons to be found and my brain still won't give up, it keeps giving me suggestions. It may help me to recognize the flaws of my current lifestyle, but it also makes me to dig up all the possible things that had gone wrong in my childhood. Which is stupid and unnecessary because no-one has a perfect childhood without any misfortune! 

What I'm saying is that I'm tired of solving my past and my anxiety. It takes me nowhere. But I can't help it! I need distraction, but my apathy makes it very hard to keep myself going and doing things.

I am emotionally crippled, there is no doubt about it.  Interesting to see how long it takes to heal. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that the last time I posted here, I somehow managed to achieve something in my healing. Or not. Maybe it is just a window. 
Whatever it is, but these few weeks have been excellent. I've been working hard and long hours lately and I was worried how I was going to survive. Surprisingly, I have had no mental exhaust, no anger or even irritation, no anxiety! The only reminder I've got daily is racing heart every time I wake up and sometimes randomly during the day. Those are now replaced with general happiness and calm. I've been quite fun to be around, actually. That of course has a major effect on my self confidence too, since I have been very backward in social situations for a long time now. 

A week ago my grandmother died. There wasn't anything dramatic about it, but of course, I've felt sorrow.I took it surprisingly well to be honest. Thankfully it didn't shake me too much, because indeed there were enough ingredients to cause massive anxiety. 

There are things coming up that concerns me. The funeral might be a struggle for me. It means I need to take a travel and leaving my home (my safe bunker) has always been a huge stress factor.  Then there is the funeral itself... 

Secondly, after the funeral I'm going to Lapland for a holiday trip. I'm sure I'm going to have a good time and everything is going to be fine, but... I have my reservations. After all, I'm going to be very far away from home and you never now when a wave is going to hit again. We'll see. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, all of 22 days ago you were doing not quite so well, so it is wonderful to see you report that things are going quite well!  

Since I'd been on ADs for so many years (nearly 20) it was hard to know what was really me or not.  On meds I did NOT handle stressors well and had melt-downs whenever things got tough.  Now that I am on a sub-therapeutic level of venlafaxine, I'm handling things much better than I would have just a few years ago.  It is nice to know that you are feeling better in yourself, more fun to be with, more confident, since I was lacking all that on meds.  Hoping to emerge a more confident, satisfied person.

You may surprise yourself and handle all the upcoming events quite well - I hope so! :-)

SG

• 3 weeks later...

SquirrellyGirl, you are always replying to my posts, I appreciate it.  :) 

I just wanted to check in and tell how I'm doing currently. There were lots of things going on a couple weeks ago. I traveled to my childhood home to see my mother (which is somewhat stressful situation for me) and to participate in my grandmothers funeral (big stress factor). After those, I had to survive one week in a cottage in Lapland, with a lot of people around me the whole time (big cause of stress for an introvert person like me).

So, I have been out of my comfort zone quite a lot recently. There were situations that caused major struggle when I was on venlafaxine (also long time after quitting) and I'm happy to tell you that I did not experience any "episodes" during any of those events. No crying, no anxiety, no emotional issues... Even coffee or alcohol did not cause anything! 

Everything went absolutely fine and I'm very pleased about it. It is very encouraging to know that there is no need to avoid those situations that used to be very difficult for me. 

It has been quite a long time since I had my last wave. Now I'll just keep pushing this window as far as I can. I have also started to see this whole antidepressants part of my life in a bigger picture. Soon I will be able to tell how those meds really affected me. I've noticed that my personality has somehow returned back to what it was before AD's, which was years ago! I can definitely tell a difference between my AD-personality and my "factory setting personality". 

About the seasonal depression I've had for years... Starting from late february and being most difficult around late march... Well, this time it didn't happen. After all these years I'm actually enjoying this springtime. Is it possible that venlafaxine somehow caused seasonal depression??

Well, that's all for now. I'll just continue to enjoy this new life I've been given.  B)

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

Katamari, I am so happy for you! You give me hope that the pre-AD version of me, hopefully stronger, will come out the other side, too. I will be pointing others to this post (and the one before ) to give them hope, too. Thank you for sharing!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

So to reiterate, you tapered off quickly over five weeks in December of 2014, so you've been off for about 15 or so months?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  That is fantastic that you are doing so well at this point!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Katamari - you wrote:

Recently I've been experiencing mild anxiety around the clock. Nothing severe, there is no crying or anything, I just feel it being there. It is like a Jaws theme song was playing in the background quietly all the time. 

Since this anxiety seems to be caused by overly stimulated amygdala

Actually, I learned something new about the amygdala this week.

It doesn't cause anxiety.  When the amygdala is activated, it controls your autonomic responses - sending blood to extremities, firing nerves, preparing for fight or flight.  It does not cause anxiety.

Anxiety is an emotional response to feeling the pounding heart, firing nerves, etc.  Especially when the amygdala does its autonomic thing on a hair trigger.  There is no bear coming at you - but the amygdala convinces your body that the noise of traffic is the same thing.  So your autonomic fires, and it's only natural to go into "fear mode" or "panic" or "anxiety" - 

but my understanding is - you can sit with the physical responses that the amygdala causes, and you don't need to feel anxiety about it.  You can just say, "That is my amygdala firing again.  I am in no danger.  I do not need to respond to that."  You don't need to entangle your feelings with those physical responses.

When the bear was behind you - you needed those feelings of fear to save your life.  In today's society, while it is sometimes called for - most of the time, it is a physical reaction, and doesn't require the panic response.

Also - I just read this last week, too - about social anxiety, and why you don't need to worry about what other people think:  http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html

Then you wrote:  

Secondly, after the funeral I'm going to Lapland for a holiday trip. 

I am so jealous!  I want to experience Saami music firsthand - and it would be really good for your nervous system to be in a simpler lifestyle, even if it is just for a holiday!

and you wrote:

So, I have been out of my comfort zone quite a lot recently. There were situations that caused major struggle when I was on venlafaxine (also long time after quitting) and I'm happy to tell you that I did not experience any "episodes" during any of those events. No crying, no anxiety, no emotional issues... Even coffee or alcohol did not cause anything! 

Everything went absolutely fine and I'm very pleased about it. It is very encouraging to know that there is no need to avoid those situations that used to be very difficult for me. 

This has been one of my goals this year.  If it's just outside of my comfort zone - but it's "doable" - I go for it.  I'm using my "comfort zone" as an indicator of my growth and healing.  By expanding into the next level of discomfort - I'm learning that I can do more, can try more, can experience more, can relate more, can interact more - and can integrate more.  

It's good to hear that you are doing well.  I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time with myself. I guess it is just a wave, but... man, it is hard.

Recently, I have often found myself thinking in a very depressing way. I'm not suicidal, but... I wish I was never born. It is hard for me to explain these feelings. They have something to do with my self-confidence and being a social misfit. 

That's all for now. Hopefully, my next post will be more positive.

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm having a hard time with myself. I guess it is just a wave, but... man, it is hard.

Recently, I have often found myself thinking in a very depressing way. I'm not suicidal, but... I wish I was never born. It is hard for me to explain these feelings. They have something to do with my self-confidence and being a social misfit. 

That's all for now. Hopefully, my next post will be more positive.

HI Katamari, 

I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on making it to 16+ months off venlafaxine!!!  Wow and yeehaw!

When I was at my worst in protracted withdrawal from ven, I had those same thoughts and simply couldn't stand myself.  Had I known that it was due to withdrawal at the time, perhaps I could have sat with it and let it move on by.  I wish I could have a do-over!  

Since this sounds like a change for you, I'm sure it will pass.  When those thoughts pop in your head, remind yourself that this is withdrawal talking, and give yourself a hug, so to speak.  You are a unique individual worthy of existence.  This, too, shall pass.  

I send you hugs :-)

SG

• 3 weeks later...

SquirrellyGirl, I cried when I read your reply... It is amazing that I got comfort from someone living on the other side of the planet! Thank you.

After my last post, I wanted to concentrate on other things. It was a disturbing wave, I had to take a day off from work, I was so broken. But after days of crying, it passed. Like they always do.

I did quite well for awhile, but I feel that there is still something going on in my head. Once again I've started to get those frightening thoughts about aging and death... the same I've had before. Neuro-emotions. Those thoughts pop in my head and trigger a some kind of "anxiety rush" in my body.. I manage to calm myself down but it is like a rollercoaster ride. I get those rushes so easily!

I got a chance to test myself in a stressful situation. After a long time of planning, I decided to buy a car. This week I became a brand new car owner! Even though I am happy and excited, but I also got back the "body anxiety" that gives me nausea and rapid heartbeat. The same symptom I got rid of couple of months ago is now back. 

So at the moment I'm doing fine.  Body anxiety is back, but it is manageable. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kat, I'm glad I could help in some way!  I'm so happy that it passed, and that at least now you've got perspective for when it happens again.  I got a woosh of body anxiety reading about your new car, weird!  That's exciting!

There is still something going on in your head - healing!  Some day that feeling will be gone, when you are done :-)

SG

• 1 month later...

Here is some news:

I had so so many weeks without any symptoms that I even forgot the whole withdrawal thing! Then came the midsummer's eve and it reminded me how things were last year... When all I could do was lay on the floor and consume liquids only. Jeez, I really was in a bad shape!

So, I have been able to eat and drink whatever I want, or do whatever I want, without any problems. There has been no upsetting thoughts haunting me. My mood has been stable and generally good. Normal, if I dare say. Emotions have been in a right scale. 
Menstrual cycle is the only thing that causes mood swings, but they are easy to recognize and are generally mild compared to neuro-emotions.

Sounds good, doesn't it? 

Well this week I got myself in the crucible. I spent few days in my childhood home. For some reason, that place causes immediate anxiety in me. And yes, I got anxious as soon as I arrived. For so long I hadn't experienced that kind of anxiety that includes loss of appetite, palpitations, nausea and urge to cry. I managed to push those aside, since I know there are no real threat and I want to teach myself to manage through difficult situations. I did fine for a couple of days, but I also felt the anxiety slowly growing in me day by day. In day three I got too anxious and busy keeping myself away from bursting into tears or getting a panic attack, so I decided to go home. I started to cry the very second I sat in my car. I cried a lot. 

I came home yesterday and I'm still feeling a bit awful. After getting the point where I'm crying, it takes days for me to cheer up again. There is definitely still some healing to do.

I've been analyzing my anxiety caused by childhood home, which seems to be the last issue I currently have in my head, but I haven't found a solution. I really would like to get to the very bottom of it and solve the whole issue, but it seems I can't figure it out. Is it something I can't help and therefore I should just let it be? Is this part of the act of becoming independent, that should have happened years ago when I was medicated? I have no idea.

But in general I still need to learn how to stop being overly analyzing, overly emphatic and most importantly, stop worrying about stuff I can't have an influence on! 

Well, that's all for now. I'm doing well after all. I did some progress even though it ended in tears. A year ago, it would have been impossible!

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

Hello there! I just stopped in to read your journal bc u also stopped Effexor and something in particular jumped out at me. Ever since I started Effexor withdrawal, I too become depressed every June, and feel better when fall comes. Everyone tries to tell me its because I have more stressors in the summer, and with my children home from school demanding I spend money, take them places, entertain them and their friends (which is stressful I agree) this never made sense to me. Before I was in wd from Effexor I loved summer and never felt my mood change whether my kids were home for the vacation or not. I was very interested in the "reverse seasonal affective disorder" you also experienced and encouraged that, despite having waves still, you experienced a spring/summer season without it!! Thats great news. I know that you will still have waves for awhile but believe me they'll get much much milder and shorter. You are doing great and I can relate to your wd symptoms, esp the neuro emotions. I experienced Effexor wd all through my Paxil taper (which I took to cure Effexor wd, but it didnt stop it). Anyway best of luck and continued healing!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

• 2 months later...

Very interesting thread, your taper was a lot faster than mine, hope you are still well.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Great thread and several, excellently described feelings and thoughts, Katamari. 

Hell, I hope I can follow in your footsteps (in the snow?) - been on Venla since 2002.

I will not taper as fast, you have been so brave through it all, too.  The details in your written thoughts are, clearly, gripping for many of us.

By the way, a couple of days ago, I was thinking about an ancient mercury problem in my head (? Ha! Ha! ha!).  

Do you as a dental person have anything interesting for us regarding depression/dental amalgam opinion from yourself and Finland?

PS - The tent in my avatar came from Finland to us in 1965.  It is a "Sopu" - a brand probably dead by now.  Tent is sitting on Scottish mountain snow in April 1966.  I did not have a clue what depression and acute anxiety were like in those days in my prime(?).  Trouble came 11 years later.  

Best wishes & love.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Katamari. I have found some of the emotional issues from the past can amplify to a large degree in withdrawal. As time has gone on I can feel them becoming less of a problem as the neuro -emotions start to settle and more stable emotions start to return. Perhaps it will be that way for you as well.

Sometimes the past can't be healed but the only variable is the way you react to it. I'm gradually learning this too. As the withdrawal symptoms lessen it becomes much easier to deal with and as you said just "  let it be ". Some things can't be changed and it becomes a lot easier to accept that when we are feeling stable.

It all takes time but if you can relax and let this process play out, I'm sure you will be able to deal with these issues later on down the track. Just try not to rush them even though it is probably our instinct to do so .

You are making progress and have had some lovely windows. I hope it continues.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Nice to see somebody from so close! :) i'm in Estonia.

You have an inspiring thread with lots of good thoughts, i enjoyed reading it.

You are doing remarkably well and I hope it continues!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

What a lovely surprise to see so many posts on my thread!

There was a question by peng about dental amalgam. My answer is that you don't need to be worried about your amalgams. There are a lot of reliable and not-so-reliable information about it on the internet. My personal opinion is that those who blame amalgam for their health problems, are just looking for an easy solution for complex problems. It feels kinda useless to point out mercury in amalgam, while living a daily life full of chemicals. Think about our quality of air in the cities, cosmetic products, food containers... 
And what a cool photo, peng! I had no idea there was a brand called Sopu. It sounds very extreme to me, a tent in the mountains and snow... Brrr!

After my last post, my life has been pleasantly stable. I've had very tame waves, which haven't affected my daily life at all. I even visited my childhood home again and this time I had zero anxiety!

Basically there is very little to tell about the withdrawal. There are good days and bad days, that's normal. Perhaps there are some bigger waves coming in the future, but I'm pretty confident that I'll handle them just fine. 

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

• 2 weeks later...

Katamari,

If you have time and interest, please check this link and perhaps you will change your opinion about the safety of dental amalgam. I would definitely recommend anyone with chronic emotional imbalance to rule out the possibility of mercury poisoning. I have a wealth of personal experience which I'm happy to share. More info on www.noamalgam.com.

All the best with your healing,

Alenka

What a lovely surprise to see so many posts on my thread!

There was a question by peng about dental amalgam. My answer is that you don't need to be worried about your amalgams. There are a lot of reliable and not-so-reliable information about it on the internet. My personal opinion is that those who blame amalgam for their health problems, are just looking for an easy solution for complex problems. It feels kinda useless to point out mercury in amalgam, while living a daily life full of chemicals. Think about our quality of air in the cities, cosmetic products, food containers... 
And what a cool photo, peng! I had no idea there was a brand called Sopu. It sounds very extreme to me, a tent in the mountains and snow... Brrr!

After my last post, my life has been pleasantly stable. I've had very tame waves, which haven't affected my daily life at all. I even visited my childhood home again and this time I had zero anxiety!

Basically there is very little to tell about the withdrawal. There are good days and bad days, that's normal. Perhaps there are some bigger waves coming in the future, but I'm pretty confident that I'll handle them just fine. 

On venlafaxine since 2001. Three cold turkey WD attempts unsuccessful.

In 2012 I slowly tapered from 75mg. Less than a year after taking the last grain I developed extreme anxiety and pseudo dementia.

After all clear neuro tests in 2013 I was put on Effexor 150mg. Instant improvement. 

In 2014 I tested positive for chronic mercury poisoning. I'm chelating using Andy Cutler's protocol, www.noamalgam.com.

Tapering Venlafaxine Actavis 150mg: Mar 10%, May 10%, Jun (eyeballing) 3 quarters of capsule, Sep slighlty over half of capsule. End Oct exactly half capsule. Feeling great when chelating and being very hopeful that this time I will succeed!

My intro & updates

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest that you should make a topic about dental amalgam if you want to discuss about it. As long as Finnish Dental Association is allowing amalgam, there is not much I can do or say about it. We are waiting for more progressive studies about it. At least there are lots of people to examine. 

I've been hit by a strong wave. There is nothing new to it, just ordinary anxiety, heart palpitations and generally feeling low. I've kept my cool, but after two weeks of being under the weather, it is starting to get on my nerves. 

It will pass, but I just wanted this to be written down. It has been a year and 10 months since last dose of venlafaxine.

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

I getting really *annoyed. Please forgive me. 

Since I noticed that I'm hitting a wave, it's been like a bad spell was put on me. Like bad luck is following me and a lot of things goes wrong. I guess it's just psychological and I'm biased, but add some low energy levels, full time anxiety and a flu that doesn't go away and I'm like a bear which has been shot in the ass. It is so freaking hard to go to work and of course now I've got workdays more than usual. 

I'm just wondering what the hell is it in this healing process THAT IT MUST MAKE LIFE REGULARLY SO *VERY HARD?!  **

Edited by ChessieCat
*changed to a more acceptable word. **Removed profanity at end of post

My history:

1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none