SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Viklynn: Going off seroquel after 10 years

Viklynn

Hello

A little history about myself:

I was put on seroquel 10 yrs ago for anxiety and sleep issues (I was 20 or 21). There was one point I took up to 300mg at night to help me sleep. About 5 yrs ago I wanted to go off the medication. My psychiatrist told me to just stop taking it because it was non addicting. So 4 days of hell I went back to my doctor. She put me back on 150mg, I felt fine no issues that I can remember. Then 2 years ago I want to try again and spoke with doctor who decreased it to 100mg. Then 2 months ago I decreased that to 75mg. Then went back to her again, I discused fear of withdrawl and she told me I had a psychological addiction to serequel. She prescribed trazodone and told me to take 50mg of trazodone with 50mg of serequel. After 2 weeks decrease serequel to 25mg and increase trazodone to 100mg, after 3 weeks stop serequel and increase trazodone to 150mg. I did that decreased to 50, a few sleepless nights some nausea. Then decreased serequel to 25mg, no issues I felt great actually. Then goodbye seroquel. It's been almost 2 weeks. I was worried about increasing the trazodone. So I went up to 100mg no higher for 4 weeks. 2 days ago I recently decreased it to 50mg. I woke up a few times throughout the night. But I don't feel that horrible. I had some days where I was increadibly itchy. Some days where I was very nauseous and no appetite. I keep waiting for horrible withdrawals to hit, and I keep waiting for some horrible side effects. I exercise daily, drink plenty of water, take omega 3s multi vitamins, and magnesium daily. I have also started psychothearpy a month ago and have been doing eye movement integration therapy to deal with anxiety. I had a session last night so my head feels a little weird which I guess happens. I also had this pain in my pelvis for 2 months, that has recently gone after emi. My social life is great, sex life is great, work is fine. So I'm wondering when Im going to experience withdrawls or if I'm going to experience horrible side effects to the medication

2005 given seroquel for sleep and anxiety

Over 5 years reduced dose of 300mg to 75mg

May 5 2015 started 50mg trazodone, reduced seroquel to 50mg

May 19 2015 increased trazodone to 100mg, 25mg of seroquel

June 14 2015 stopped seroquel

June 23 2015 currently taking 50 mg of trazodone for sleep and anxiety

had extreme itchiness,Intermittent nausea, Intermittent headaches

Pelvic pain since April has recently subsided

Occasionally difficulty sleeping, Occasionally difficulty concentrating, preoccupied mind

Beginning of May 2015 started psycotherapy and eye movement integration therapy

Hi Vikklyn,

You could be the lucky one and not experience any wd symptoms. It is great that you are feeling good and things are going well for you. I know people that have not had any problems coming off medication. Right now, count your lucky stars and enjoy your life. If you do end up with wd symptoms, the moderators on this site will be able to assist you. I am not an expert. I wish you all the best, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Good for you! I recently went from 500 mg to zero in about 5 or 6 weeks and whoa! The Withdrawals hit hard. I went back on 150 and that seemed to do the trick. I'll stay here for a time before I start to taper again. I'm glad to hear that a person can successfully get off this crap and thrive.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

I think the fear and anxiety I had about the medication was so terrible. I fear tapering trazodone and having insomnia. Trazodone was more sedating then the serequel. With taking it for a shorter amount of time will that help with tapering? My psychotherapist reassures me sleep with come with reduction of anxiety, and stopping medication is possible. Thanks for your reply

Occasionally difficulty sleeping, Occasionally difficulty concentrating, preoccupied mind

Good for you! I recently went from 500 mg to zero in about 5 or 6 weeks and whoa! The Withdrawals hit hard. I went back on 150 and that seemed to do the trick. I'll stay here for a time before I start to taper again. I'm glad to hear that a person can successfully get off this crap and thrive.

I did the same when I went from

300mg to nothing and started the 150mg after 4 days. I don't remember any significant changes then, or when I dropped to 100. But I did experience horrible withdrawls stopping the 300mg cold turkey.

The Seroquel never made me sleepy, it just made me fat. I was on it years ago for a long time and don't remember having any trouble getting off it. I've only been on it a short time this time so I'm hoping it will be even easier this time to go off.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

So sorry, there is no way to tell if or when You will have any side effects. Even if someone had the exact same experience as you,their withdrawal or side effect issues would be different. Most of us wish we could know, I know I get obsessive about wanting to know things there are actually no answers for. I would just enjoy your life to the max, I am happy you are doing ok now, that's super.

Trazodone 150-300 nightly

Ambien CR. 3-5 times a week

Taking Klonopin crossing over to Valium started 6-25-15

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Viklynn,

We recommend tapering all psychotropic medications by reducing no more than 10% every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you have been lucky so far, but withdrawal symptoms can arise weeks and sometimes months after a drug has been discontinued too quickly.

If I were you, I would hold off on any more tapering to make sure your system has stabilized from quitting the seroquel. Perhaps give it a month or two to make sure you are going to be ok.

Here is our trazodone tapering topic:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel) - Surviving ...

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome Viklynn,

We recommend tapering all psychotropic medications by reducing no more than 10% every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you have been lucky so far, but withdrawal symptoms can arise weeks and sometimes months after a drug has been discontinued too quickly.

If I were you, I would hold off on any more tapering to make sure your system has stabilized from quitting the seroquel. Perhaps give it a month or two to make sure you are going to be ok.

Here is our trazodone tapering topic:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel) - Surviving ...

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to stay on the trazodone for a awhile allow healing time, and continue with psychotherapy. The seroquel taper was what the doctor recommended after I told her I didn't want to quit cold turkey. I'm glad I found this site.

I don't know how fast to taper, everywhere you look you read something different. Then your doc tells you something different still. The 10% rule is probably safest, especially for those who are sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you I would just enjoy the peace for now.

*moved from symptoms forum

I'm starting to think my job officially sucks. I love it, but the hours are difficult. So for example Im
Finishing up a 3 to 11 shift plus an 11 to 7, for a total of 16hrd. Which means I've missed my trazodone dose which I will take when I get home. Also should I take half my dose at 7 am then half again later in the evening when I go to bed like normal? Otherwise I feel like I would be double dosing myself.. I hate shift work

There is a great article on mad in America about seroquel. Try the search box it's called something like life after seroquel.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

• Moderator Emeritus

*moved from symptoms forum

....Which means I've missed my trazodone dose which I will take when I get home. Also should I take half my dose at 7 am then half again later in the evening when I go to bed like normal? Otherwise I feel like I would be double dosing myself.. I hate shift work

Are you taking instant release or extended?

Instant release can be taken in divided doses.

Trazodone is an antidepressant and doesn't always cause drowsiness, you may be able take it at work.

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/trazodone.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, Viklynn.

When do you usually take trazodone?

When were you itching, at what dosage? Do you still itch?

You might wish to keep track of when you take your drugs and your daily symptom pattern on paper for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

so update.

So I started trazodone in May apparently may 17 or somewhere around there. I increased it to 100mg a couple weeks later and decreased the seroquel. I noticed some nausea weird cloudiness, difficulty forming some thoughts, some dizziness, then it went ok for a bit, stopped the seroquel a few weeks later. After stopping the seroquel, after 10 days I got sick. Slept an hour or so for about 5 nights, extreme headache, dizziness, nausea, increased thoughts of suicide and death. Which is very unusual for me. Anxiety was pretty high because I was unsure what was happening. I just thought I would rather die then feel this way, I would rather just drive my car into the ditch and die. So doctor said I wasn't responding well to the trazodone and reinstated the seroquel and told me to just stop the trazodone. They said since I was on it for such a short time, I should be ok. Thing is, I would still rather die. I'm terrified I've given myself brain damage from seroquel. So 75mg to 10g or seroquel and down to 25mg of trazodone. Omg what hell, I still feel like crap, way better, but still.

I feel like I'm not strong enough to do this

• Administrator

Do I understand that, after you went off Seroquel and got withdrawal symptoms, you went on trazodone, and now you're back on Seroquel?

How much Seroquel are you taking now? When did you go off trazodone?

Hang in there, you can do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was started on trazodone trying to switch from seroquel. Started the trazodone middle of May and was supposed to wean myself off seroquel reducing 100mg by 25mg every 2 weeks, and increasing the trazodone as I went. It went well for awhile, then I stopped the seroquel and increased trazodone to 100mg from 50. 10 days of that is when I got sick, the er said it was the trazodone that made me feel like that. I was on trazodone for 6 or 7 weeks. I'm currently back on 100mg of seroquel and 25mg of trazodone. I hope that clears it up!

• Administrator

I have never heard of trazodone replacing Seroquel. Your doctor must think Seroquel is a sleep drug.

It sounds to me like you got Seroquel withdrawal syndrome when you went off Seroquel. Since you started taking Seroquel again, have your symptoms decreased?

What is the trazodone supposed to be doing for you now?

What time of day do you take your drugs? Do you take any others?

I understand the difficulties with shift work I worked shifts for 7 years while pegged out on six meds. I have no idea how I made it through. It makes dosing hard at times.

I do feel better, I just have a lot of anxiety about taking this medication. I'm afraid I've damaged my brain and I'm going to develop side effects. It's horrible. Trazodone was the first antidepressant I've tried in 8 years, I beleve I was on cymbalta for a few months years ago. I've only been on seroquel mainly for sleep

Trazodone is 25mg

I was on Seroquel for years and as far as I know I didn't get brain damage from it. It just made me fat, that's why I quit it the first time. I predict you will be fine once everything settles.

That makes me feel better. I just had such bad anxiety attack today about this medication it was horrible. It's never happened before, I googled side effects and withdrawl and it's so terrifying. But I can do this. Thank you for the support.

• Administrator

Please don't add to your problems by worrying about the drugs.

What date did you make the change in the trazodone? What date did you add the Seroquel?

I made the changes Monday, started seroquel reduced traz.

• Administrator

Okay, this is good. The Seroquel is up to full speed.

What time of day do you take your drugs? Do you take any others?

If you take both trazodone and Seroquel at night, you might want to start reducing the trazodone, see Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

I do take them both at night and have reduced the trazodone, I feel a lot better then I did that's for sure. It was odd this headache that I felt like a blockage in my head like I couldn't think and if I thought about it, I would get so dizzy and it would hurt so bad.

Thank you for the help and the Replys. its very reassuring