SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mikey1975: Sertraline withdrawal

Mikey1975

Hello im new to this , just to intruduce myself im from Bridgend southwales , i was on cipramil from 2000 till 2006 and then sertraline till 2012 which i then stopped and the doctor told me to tapper down over 4 weeks which didnt seem long as i had been on them for years , anyway at first i seemed ok apart from a bit sicky and a bad memory and i seemed to be ok for about a year and then these strange feeling started asin a strange feeling around my eye and ear and a bad head on the same side these dragged on for a while, the doctor just saying it was either sinus trouble or a needed glasses i also started to get sore joints about 2 years after i stopped i seemed to go down hill fast panic started creeping in and what i call a palpitation feeling constantly feeling like a bad vibration inside and my moods started where i would be ok one minute and foul the next with spells of anger the doctor kept saying it was just anxiety and you dont get withdrawals so long after at one point i felt so bad she convinced me it was anxiety returning and i needed to go back on sertraline which i did for about 5 weeks could soneone please tell me if this sounds like Wd and isit normal to feel ok for about a year after stopping and then get worse and worse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1975

• Petunia

• Rosie20yearsago

• Aliwill

Top Posters In This Topic

When the withdrawal symptoms appear some months after stopping completely the med, that has a name: protracted withdrawal.

If your symptoms are different or worse than those that you had prior medicated, these are signs of protracted withdrawal.

The same way science nowadays still don't understand completely how the human brain works, it does not understand the effects of the medicines that affect the brain.

An AD can have one effect in one person, and the opposite in another one, and even opposite effects in the same person when the person starts taking the same AD a second time. Why? Nobody knows, psychiatrists will tell you they know, but no, they don't know.

Psychiatry as a science is inside the same category as weather prediction: competely imprecise. I would saw weather prediction is more accurate than psychiatry, actually.

So don't believe it when a psychiatrist tell you that it is impossible to have withdrawal starting one year after stopping medicies. It is definitely possible, there are plenty of examples in this website, and that psychiatrist don't understand the human brain because nobody does.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

The doctors just keep saying its a relapse of anxiety but i knew it didnt feel like it , i have never had these symtoms before like body tremors and vibrations and onesided headaches and the pressure behind the eye , i went on AD for OCD but when i stopped the Ad i have had all other physical symtoms

Yup, I've had them now for over 2 years, mine are constant 24/7. I hate it!!!

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Yes, mine have gone away for the most part. But this most recent wave I am in they both started again.

Took 20mg of Prozac from March 2005 until May 2014 with a couple of breaks in there, my last break was 6-7months in 2008.

Tapered every other day for a couple of weeks May 2014 and quit, only symptom was rage for a couple of weeks.

August 2014-major stress in life insomnia started, tried taking Prozac for 4 days and started twitching and moncylonic jerks. stopped taking it, wasn't my generic I thought that was the problem, my Prozac was unavailable for 6 weeks so I waited.

October 2014- took my generic Prozac for a couple of days, twitching and jerking starts again so I stopped.

November 2014-OCD make a very unwelcome appearance so I decide to start at 10mg of Prozac and it works for a couple of weeks, I am sleeping and feeling like me again, after 2 1/2 weeks insomnia kicks in and in the next couple of days the twitching and jerking start again. So I wean off in one week and that's when the problems begin.

December 2014-stop the Prozac, symptoms begin. waking between 3-4 every morning with panic, tremors in back of head, waking up to my entire body vibrating, suicidal, anxiety, eyes blurry, feeling off balance reacting to sleep aids.

February 2015-first window lasted a day.

May 2015- 2 week window (it was beautiful)

June 2015-became depressed, but lifted at the end of the month, had a couple mild waves, but can absolutely tell they are not as bad as 6 months ago.

Mickey I was on Sertraline for 8 years then tapered for a year and a half - while tapering I had side effects but were tolerable.  It was when I s topped completely May 17, 2013 - things started to get worse....7 or 8 months later the symptoms got really bad and by the 18month even worse -  now I am off 25 months and it just seems to get worse and worse for me  so since 18/25 months - no let up at all.  I am told it will get better - I am hoping so.  This doesn't mean that you will go through what I am going through right now - we are all different....I am just trying to let you know you are not alone - it will get better...You are in my thoughts and prayers

xxxxx

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

Hello all i'm so glad to have found you all , i'm a 40 year old man from Bridgend south wales , my story starts when i was put on cipramil in 2000 for ocd which i was on for 6 years and then sertraline from 2006 till 2012

when i thought i was well enough to stop so the doctor said cut down from 100 to 50 straight away for 2 weeks and then everyother day for 2 weeks and apart from feeling a bit sick and giddy for a few days i was ok , the only symptom i can remember at that time was a bad memory and weightloss and i was good for about 10 to 12 months

and then i started getting a strange feeling in my left eye and pressure around left eye and ear and left sided headaches i was also having aches in leg but i was managing a couple of months later this was joined but periods of being down and irritable this continued i also started getting periods of panic

then about 21 months after stopped the real nightmare started when i started to have bad internal tremors / vibrations and palpitation feeling this was the time i really started to get irritable and have downers that are up and down all the time , i found it hard to beleive these were WD so long after my last zoloft and managing ok got the 1 st year and a half but the last year has been a nightmare with the internal tremors , pressure around the eye and ear and the onesided headaches , also the panic and anger and the feeling of gloom ,

i knew something was wrong but i didnt know what the doctor just kept saying its the anxiety comeing back and you cant get Wd so long after finishing zoloft , this was all diferent to me i wasnt worried about anything but i felt so ill and a burden on people

so going back a couple of months ago she convinced me to give zoloft another go as it cant be WD so i tryed it for about 5 weeks and then stopped , it makes me bitter to think that the doctor wouldnt beleive me and that it could not be withdrawal , at first i found it odd how i was ok for the best part of a year and a half after stopping and the doctor convinced me even more it cant be WD

Edited by Petunia
added paragraph breaks for easier reading

Do you think it's withdrawals after all this time?

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Yes def other people on this site have gone through the same , i found it hard to beleive at 1 st but itis what people have said and the sad part is 2 and a half years is pretty early people have suffered alot longer than that

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Mikey,

I joined your two introduction topics together, its one intro thread per member. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry you are still feeling so unwell after stopping zoloft, it sounds like its been about 2 years since you did a too fast taper? When you tried reinstating two months ago, did it make your symptoms worse?

Its not unusual for withdrawal to last a long time, months and sometimes years if someone doesn't taper properly. Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right. Sadly, most doctors don’t have a clue and often advise tapers that lead patients to going back on the drug because of a ‘relapse’,  which is actually withdrawal.

See: What to expect from my doctor

The best I can offer by way of advice is to listen to your body and avoid those things that set off symptoms as much as possible. Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, avoid supplements. (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker). They've been helpful to many of us. 

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Are you taking any other medications?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I felt about the same apart the the sideeffects coming back but i was only on them 5 weeks and then stopped , is it unusual to be feeling so ill from about 2 years on and didnt have hardly any symtoms in first year

• Moderator Emeritus

Mikey,

I have joined together all the topics you started, please post your questions and updates here in this one thread rather than start new ones.

We have many members here who are still experiencing withdrawal symptoms after two years. Its called protracted withdrawal syndrome. I'm in the same situation. Delayed onset of symptoms is also not uncommon. In my own situation I had some early acute withdrawal symptoms like having a bad flu, then I seemed to be ok for several months. Then new and unusual symptoms started to appear about 4 months later and continued to get worse. At the time, I had no idea it was withdrawal from a previous medication.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Ok thankyou i just found it hard to accept that it was WD at first when the 1st year i was virtually symptom free and then all different symtoms started to apear slowly and have just got worse and worse

Im feeling very ill at the moment but i still find it hard to accept sometimes its Wd after being ok for at least the 1 st year until symptoms seemed to appear and get worse and worse

Feeling very ill at the moment , it def feels like withdrawal but i cant stop thinks its the depression coming back , ive got so much going for me in life but i cant seem to be happy or not panicky im full of aches and pressure on one side of my head , and i still cant get used to the idea that WD cant start 18 months after stopping zoloft and get worse and worse or is the doctor right and its the anxiety coming back but im not worried about anything it all seems to be physical and moods please help

• Moderator Emeritus

Im feeling very ill at the moment but i still find it hard to accept sometimes its Wd after being ok for at least the 1 st year until symptoms seemed to appear and get worse and worse

If the symptoms you are having now are different from your original depression, then that's a good sign its withdrawal

See: 

Dr. David Healy on prolonged antidepressant withdrawal ...

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

When i was 1st put on AD in 2000 was for OCD which hardly exists now but before and often when i was om them i 'd still have bad ocd and anxiety but like i say since ive stopped i was fine for the 1 st year before the physical symptoms started which from then have got worse and worse and also depressive feelings fron feeling this way that is why the doctor talked me round into trying them again for 5 weeks which i then stopped straight , the body is just vibrating / trembling inside 24 / 7 i cant take much more these physical symtoms ive never had before thats what makes me think it is very delayed WD

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for adding your signature.

The sertraline which you took for 5 weeks earlier this year could have caused further destabilization to your already sensitized nervous system, making your symptoms worse.

This happened to me. I had been off lexapro for over 2 years and still had symptoms, but at that time I didn't know anything about withdrawal. I had actually made some progress and was recovering, but still believed in the chemical imbalance theory and thought I must need to be on medication. I tried reinstating lexapro and I also tried Prozac, but I got much worse and it set my recovery back. All my old symptoms came back and I got some new ones too.

But in time, the symptoms decrease and go away. The important thing to help recovery is to reduce stress and not do the things which make symptoms worse.

Magnesium can have physical calming effect on the body see:

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

and  

tremors, shaking, body vibration

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Afternoon shift this week in work , there is one good thing about work it helps very much to distract my mind

• Moderator Emeritus

The best kind of fish oil to take for recovery is the omega 3 kind, see this link for details:

King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil)

From what I understand, cod liver oil contains vits A and D and these can sometimes cause problems in a sensitized nervous system.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Is there many people on here when they first stop are ok and think its pretty easy to stop and then it seems to creep up on them months after

I still dont understand after taking AD for 12 years and the doctor told me to taper for just a month then stop that was ok for 12 / 18 months , i was fine and then the odd sideeffects start and from about the 18 month mark have got worse thats why for so long i didnt think you could get it that long after stopping , plus the doctor telling me i couldnt aswell

Yes, this happens to me years ago, was ok for 6 months then it started.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

LoveandLight it just seems strange to me the first year i was happier than i had been in along time i was off the meds i had just met a new lady and things were going well it was after about 12 months i started getting pressure around eye and ear and one sided headaches which i thought was sinus trouble and also aches which i could put up with it was about the 18 month mark that the waves of panic and downers started and then since then constant internal vibtations and tremors

Yes, it does seem strange but it's still classic withdrawal.. It's such a bummer!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

LoveandLight yes it def seems and feels like classic withdrawal and the way the downers / nervousness start for no reason , and the internal tremors / vibrations i have never had before , i was put on this drug for ocd but all the symtoms i have but no ocd anymore

Not to minimise what your going through but at least you know whats going on..I had these internal tremors years ago in withdrawal and I kept being told it was just anxiety so they just put me back on..not much consolation, I know.

Thats exactly what the doctor told me and put me back on sertraline i took it for 5 weeks im gutted now

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Mikey, The docs have fooled us all with the same lie about relapse. I've been on and off SSRI's many times over the years, never knew about withdrawal before I came here. The next time I quit it will be forever. 

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.