groentjes non withdrawing horror

groentjes

I am not currently on anything except the occasional lorazepam but I am doing very very bad at the moment and I am really scared to get stuck in the psychiatry as the doctors are really pushing me to take a hoard of stuff.  Because on the one hand I really really need help but i am so scared to get hospitalized and drugged having read so many horror stories.  So I am looking for some advice and support on how to handle severe emotional distress while avoing psychiatric interference. Maybe I can see this period in my life as a withdrawal. When you withdraw from a drugs you go through a horror period and I am going to a horror period now too so instead off taking the drugs and risking all the side effects and having to withdraw later on in life I can just go to the horror now. 

I hope in it not a problem posting here while not withdrawing but most other mental health related website are so medication loving that I don't think I will find any support there. 

How did you guys got through your withdrawal period ? 

I also think the loneliness play a big part on the one hand you are just so lonely but unable to leave the use in fear of having an attack. I have very severe crying  and panic attacks if someone would see me like this they would have me hospitalized in a minute- not to mention how embarrassed I would be so I don't leave the house and I am just so so lonely

Zoloft from 15 to 21. From to 21 to 23 nothing. Now on discontinuing Lorazepam and Xanax but doctors want to put me on other stuff too because I am not doing so well at the moment. Here for support on how to be 'mentally ill' and yet avoiding psychiatric interfering. I am at my lowest at the moment yet really want to avoid getting drugged even more. Really need some emotional support because feel so alone and afraid. 

What does the 15 to 21 mean in your sig..is this dates? You maybe are in withdrawal..how long were you on zoloft and when did you come off?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I think you have made the right choice of not going on antidepressants.

By going on antidepressants you may get away from a problem just to end up in a worse one.

Anxiety and depression are in most cases normal and natural responses to problems in life that have been happening in human beings since  100,000 years ago.

Antidepressant withdrawal has been happening since 20 years ago.

So it is not rocket sciente to know that the brain is better prepared to heal from anxiety and depression than from withdrawal, (or brain damage from these pills)

I just took this med because when I was overwhelmed by my anxiety, I had little strenght inside me to oppose... but now I regret it daily.

Seek therapy or something, but my advise (and i am sure the advise of everyone here) is not to take psychotropic meds.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

I have been on ADs and some other stuff before as a child from seven to nine (hospitalized for severe depression) and as a teenager from fifteen to twenty one  I am twenty three now. I was doing well so I went off ADs but than I good worse probably withdrawal and after a while a sank in a really bad depression and had to quite university. I was doing better again and started school again but could not handle the stress and sank away again. Then I started taking huge amount of vitamin c and was getting better and better (sleeping well, looking forward to the future) untill I got toxoplasmosis and since then it started having severe panic attacks and crying attacks and insane suicidal urges while other times I feel euphoric. Never had this before. I always had mood swings even as a little child but not like this.  I think the toxoplasmosis has something to do with it. I've read paper about toxo mental health.  I am just really scared because I know there is something wrong but psychiatrist just don't want to listen to anything other than genetic chemical imbalances. 

I have just such bad experiences with psychiatrists. I want to get hospitalized but just not it the current system. 

What bothers me the most is that they often dismiss scientific studies that don't support their views. I wonder how many people are described mentally ill who just have a physical problem going on or an life event that is bothering them. When I was just fifteen a psychiatrst put me on Zoloft and an antipsychotic and and anticonsulvant without ever speaking to me. He did not asked anything to me about how I felt he just listened to what my mother told him and prescribed me those drugs without ever seeing me again. 

Anyways I currently taking Lormetazepam and Xanax I just try not to take them every day as to avoid addiction and they make me feel weird. But how often can you take them as not to get addicted. I do take them a few times a week to sleep because I have trouble sleeping and when I don't sleep I feeeel so awful the next day. I try to keep a few days between the dosages. Could I avoid dependence that way untill I find a way to sleep well again. 

Zoloft from 15 to 21. From to 21 to 23 nothing. Now on discontinuing Lorazepam and Xanax but doctors want to put me on other stuff too because I am not doing so well at the moment. Here for support on how to be 'mentally ill' and yet avoiding psychiatric interfering. I am at my lowest at the moment yet really want to avoid getting drugged even more. Really need some emotional support because feel so alone and afraid. 

I am not currently on anything except the occasional lorazepam but I am doing very very bad at the moment and I am really scared to get stuck in the psychiatry as the doctors are really pushing me to take a hoard of stuff.  Because on the one hand I really really need help but i am so scared to get hospitalized and drugged having read so many horror stories.  So I am looking for some advice and support on how to handle severe emotional distress while avoing psychiatric interference. Maybe I can see this period in my life as a withdrawal. When you withdraw from a drugs you go through a horror period and I am going to a horror period now too so instead off taking the drugs and risking all the side effects and having to withdraw later on in life I can just go to the horror now. 

I hope in it not a problem posting here while not withdrawing but most other mental health related website are so medication loving that I don't think I will find any support there. 

I also think the loneliness play a big part on the one hand you are just so lonely but unable to leave the use in fear of having an attack. I have very severe crying  and panic attacks if someone would see me like this they would have me hospitalized in a minute- not to mention how embarrassed I would be so I don't leave the house and I am just so so lonely

Three words:  Find a distraction.

Anything is better than going on meds and messing up your brain and losing your intelligence.  Go play WoW or something, anything that can distract you.  If you insist on doing drugs, alcohol is relatively harmless.  On that note, most illegal drugs are much less harmless than psych meds. 

You could go to a support group of some sort, which would be very helpful.  I would personally recommend pretending to be an alcoholic and go to aa meetings.  They are basically people that will freely help you with your emotional problems under the condition that  you pretend that you had a drinking problem.  Even better if you actually have a drinking problem.

Therapists can help, but are mostly just stagnant morons who aren't really capable of doing much and telling you like it really is.

Don't take psych meds, please I'm begging you, don't destroy your life.

• Administrator

Welcome, groentjes.

How did you go off the drugs when you were 21? How long have you been taking benzos?

Do your symptoms (panic, surges of anxiety) happen in any daily pattern relative to when you take the benzos?

Please keep notes on paper about 1) when you take your drugs 2) how much 3) daily symptoms.

Side effects of benzos can be depression and rebound anxiety. Let's find out if this is what's going on.

Also, many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Anything is better than going on meds and messing up your brain and losing your intelligence.  Go play WoW or something, anything that can distract you.  If you insist on doing drugs, alcohol is relatively harmless.  On that note, most illegal drugs are much less harmless than psych meds. 

You could go to a support group of some sort, which would be very helpful.  I would personally recommend pretending to be an alcoholic and go to aa meetings.  They are basically people that will freely help you with your emotional problems under the condition that  you pretend that you had a drinking problem.  Even better if you actually have a drinking problem.

Therapists can help, but are mostly just stagnant morons who aren't really capable of doing much and telling you like it really is.

Hello, thank you for your reply. about your AA group is actually a really good idea. I don't have an alcohol problem it gives me insane msucle pain drinking alcohol, besides my grandmother was a raving alcoholic with wernicke-korsakoff syndrome (due to drinking)- she did massive amount of alcohol for twenty years to get there. I did took up smoking weed when my insomnia first set in but it did not improve it because iof ashma problems however I know you can get THC oil and it is a miracle for insomnia however it is legan in the netherlands but not in Belgium. At the moment I sleep very well when taking Ativan and most of the tiime I feel a lot better the next day. However, I just don't want to keep taking benzos reading so many horror stories. Yesterdag I took an antihistamin to sleep but it makes me feel more horrible then Ativan and sleep very badly.  I probably still in the honeymoon fase with the benzos. I wonder what is worse benzos or sleep deprivation. When I take Ativan i sleep well and feel rather well the next day when I don't take it I have a horrible night and feel horrible the next day. pfff I am so afraid to get ill due to sleep deprivation or get insane and get hospitalized. 

But I will try GABA and tryptophan maybe for sleep in the past this has helped or try to get a hold on THC oil. 

Welcome, groentjes.

How did you go off the drugs when you were 21? How long have you been taking benzos?

Do your symptoms (panic, surges of anxiety) happen in any daily pattern relative to when you take the benzos?

Please keep notes on paper about 1) when you take your drugs 2) how much 3) daily symptoms.

Side effects of benzos can be depression and rebound anxiety. Let's find out if this is what's going on.

Also, many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

I quit taking Zoloft gradually and got brain zaps and extreme fatigue insomnia... However than i was normal for about a month and than I got really bad brain fog but really insane brain fog and I had to quit college which made me really depressed and anxious. Now I don't know what cause the brain fog. Was it Zoloft. The brain fog started after I got the flu. So maybe a combination. 

At the moment I take 1 mg (occasionally) Ativan but not every day I swich with a herbal sleep aid containing many herbs and no drugs. I feel better the next day when I sleep with Ativan but I feel best when I sleep without something but at the moment this is not always possible. The herbal sleep aid also does not work everyday, yet Ativan does the job every time. Last night I took an antihistamin for sleep but felt a lot worse that on Ativan. I take magnesium and I eat fish like three times a week. The day I took high dose vitamin b I did sleep on my own so maybe that is worth trying again. 

The anxiety started before the Ativan but maybe it has created a loop I really don't know. It is just really tempting to keep taking it. 

Hi dear

You might do well with therapy. Try to find a good CBT therapist to help you with your anxieties. Also there are some good books you can purchase and read, for example the Claire Weekes books. They are old, but she helped a lot of people with anxiety heal without medication.

Good luck to you and please stay away from the meds, it's not worth it

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Administrator

groentjes, please keep notes on paper about your symptom pattern relative to when you take any drugs.

This will help determine if Ativan is involved. There is something called rebound anxiety that occurs when Ativan wears off. This makes an infernal loop convincing you you need the drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, thank you for your reply. about your AA group is actually a really good idea. I don't have an alcohol problem it gives me insane msucle pain drinking alcohol, besides my grandmother was a raving alcoholic with wernicke-korsakoff syndrome (due to drinking)- she did massive amount of alcohol for twenty years to get there. I did took up smoking weed when my insomnia first set in but it did not improve it because iof ashma problems however I know you can get THC oil and it is a miracle for insomnia however it is legan in the netherlands but not in Belgium. At the moment I sleep very well when taking Ativan and most of the tiime I feel a lot better the next day. However, I just don't want to keep taking benzos reading so many horror stories. Yesterdag I took an antihistamin to sleep but it makes me feel more horrible then Ativan and sleep very badly.  I probably still in the honeymoon fase with the benzos. I wonder what is worse benzos or sleep deprivation. When I take Ativan i sleep well and feel rather well the next day when I don't take it I have a horrible night and feel horrible the next day. pfff I am so afraid to get ill due to sleep deprivation or get insane and get hospitalized. 

But I will try GABA and tryptophan maybe for sleep in the past this has helped or try to get a hold on THC oil. 

From my experience, it's probably best to just wait this all out and not take any drugs.  THC is pretty powerful stuff, I woudn't take it any lighter than I would benzos.  It might take several weeks before you start to get sleep again, but if you make it through these few weeks you'll  be drug free and able to get sleep naturally. 

From my experience, supplements probably won't help much and will probably have some form of tolerance associated with them.  If you insist on taking something for sleep, you should CYCLE through things, don't take the same thing more than 2 days in a row.  So do nqyil one day, melatonin one day, maybe a benzo one day, and then something else the next day.  This way you don't build tolerance to anything.  Make sure the two things you take in a row aren't going to have the same influence on the same neurotransmitters (e.g., don't take GABA and benzos togther or clsoe to eachother). Make sure you research the half life of the things you're taking, because if there's a 36 hour half life on something, you will still have it in your system the next day when you take another thing.

Drugs can get very complicated, especially for sleep.  Look at all the holywood actors and actresses who end up DYING because of sleep related issues and medication.  It's very scary, and if movie stars who hire the BEST doctors can die, so can  you and more.  So try to keep things into perspective here.

Good luck.

Hi Groentjes,

Maybe it would be the best to seek a psychologist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. What are you mostly scared of? Are you scared of having a panic attack in a public space? Is this the reason you are scared to leave the house? Do you anticipate panic attacks and continuously think about having a panic attack? The reason I am asking is that I have been through this my self.

I have experienced this kind of thinking myself. I used to be scared catching the train, driving a car, in case I had a panic attack. The way to get through this is not to avoid places and situations where you might have a panic attack. Avoidence behaviour reinforces the same thought process. Until you expose your self to situations that you most fear, you want make much progress. I am speaking from my own experience. I was like you when I first started experiencing panic attacks. Rest assured that you can overcome it. Seek professional help.

The meds that you are taking could be making you worse. Xanax had paradoxical effect on me. I would get horrible anxiety from it.

Things that could help you with sleep is mindfulness. Look up Tara Brach and Jon Kabat Zinn. I practice mindfulness before bed time to relax and refocus my thoughts.

Myo-Inositol powder can also help with anxiety, panic. I am taking Inositol and it is helping me with anxiety. If you decide to try Inositol try a very small amount to see if you are going to have a reaction or not. Be careful with suppliments as the nervous system can become sensitive to supplements after AD'S. I know you have not taken any AD'S for the last 3 years, but still proceed with caution when trying out new suppliments. Good luck, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hi Groentjes,

Maybe it would be the best to seek a psychologist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. What are you mostly scared of? Are you scared of having a panic attack in a public space? Is this the reason you are scared to leave the house? Do you anticipate panic attacks and continuously think about having a panic attack? The reason I am asking is that I have been through this my self.

I have experienced this kind of thinking myself. I used to be scared catching the train, driving a car, in case I had a panic attack. The way to get through this is not to avoid places and situations where you might have a panic attack. Avoidence behaviour reinforces the same thought process. Until you expose your self to situations that you most fear, you want make much progress. I am speaking from my own experience. I was like you when I first started experiencing panic attacks. Rest assured that you can overcome it. Seek professional help.

The meds that you are taking could be making you worse. Xanax had paradoxical effect on me. I would get horrible anxiety from it.

Things that could help you with sleep is mindfulness. Look up Tara Brach and Jon Kabat Zinn. I practice mindfulness before bed time to relax and refocus my thoughts.

Myo-Inositol powder can also help with anxiety, panic. I am taking Inositol and it is helping me with anxiety. If you decide to try Inositol try a very small amount to see if you are going to have a reaction or not. Be careful with suppliments as the nervous system can become sensitive to supplements after AD'S. I know you have not taken any AD'S for the last 3 years, but still proceed with caution when trying out new suppliments. Good luck, Hopefull.

i get Severe panic attacks, not juist panic but going completely hysterical but I noticed that is partly due to hypoglycemia. It is a loop I get a hypoglycemic attack or adrenal surges or whatever but also start panicking and end up completely out of control. Really jumping out of the window out of control. When I eat this goes away although still traumatized from the attack. I mean I don't want to die but during those attacks I just want to kill myself immediately and I sometimes get really aggressive. It is so strange I feel like a different person and it scares me. Because I loose control I am so afraid to get in psychiatric hospital and drugged out of my mind. I went to the ER with my parents and I told them about the hypoglycemic attack but they did not even want to listen and take it seriously. The last couple of days I was able to control the hypoglycemic attacks but today it was so extremely hot I got one and it was a big one. I also experience muscle weakness-trouble standing on my legs and twitching and excessive peeing. I would know that there is a place where they would take good care of me I would not be so scared and the attacks wouldn't be half as bad but having bad experience with psychiatrists and doctors I get scared that they will not be able to help me so I am in a extreme loop. Anyway that is why I am in such a dilemma taking benzos those attacks are so extremely traumatizing. And sleep is just so relaxing and soothing yet at the moment I have a hard time sleeping without the benzos. Tried an antihistaminicum but that was a big mistake. I wish there was a crisis centrum where they let you go insane without drugging you so you have time to heal yourself naturally knowing you are safe and secure when things do go wrong. They do have psychotherapeutic centrums where you can go but you can not be in a crisis situation and I am in a crisis. I had to amazing days yesterday and the day before without a hypo attacks or insanity attack what you want to call it but today I got a bad one. I am just in a loop of the physical exxagerating the psychological and vice versa.

That is why I am thinking to maybe take the benzos until I am more stable and then ween myself off it but off course I will be more dependent then but maybe if I take them while doing CBT and resolving hypoglycemia I can get off them with more emotional resilience. But maybe this is naive. My mother is pushing me to start taking Zoloft again for a while so I can get more stable but I don't know. I am bit reluctant to try Anything new because while ago got severe attack from taking trazodone once a month ago for sleep problems. Never again like a hypo but worse. Like something wanted to crawl outside me and really wanted scratch my skin to the bone very very very scary. That is also why I am so scared of psychiatry, getting adverse reactions to drugs, they traumatize you.

Hi Groentjes,

Also yes I am afraid of leaving the house also because it is so hard to have enough food with me. For example I was doing fine but then I went to the psychologist and did not have enough food with me and I got an attack. I know it is a loop but how to break free from it ? I will try the inositol as a aid. How much do you take ? I know Tara Brach and Jon kabat zinn. I followed a two month mindfulness course but it did not seem to help because I was just to restless at the time. But I will take it up again.

It gets better right ?

Hi Groentjes,

Also yes I am afraid of leaving the house also because it is so hard to have enough food with me. For example I was doing fine but then I went to the psychologist and did not have enough food with me and I got an attack. I know it is a loop but how to break free from it ? I will try the inositol as a aid. How much do you take ? I know Tara Brach and Jon kabat zinn. I followed a two month mindfulness course but it did not seem to help because I was just to restless at the time. But I will take it up again.

It gets better right ?

I was an absolute nervous wreck for many many months, and time cured those issues almost completely.  Low stress and patience.  Took about 9 months for panic attacks to subside, but sure as heck they disappeared.  I had SEVERE insomnia too, that lasted for about 6 weeks and then gradually went away, and by 6 months I was having 8+ hours of sleep every night.  Thought it would never happen.  If I can recover from anxiety so can you. 

The key is to not take any drugs for it and then just sit around and wait for your brain to reconfigure itself.  When you take drugs, it makes the brain adapt to them, causing more severe rebound anxiety that is MUCH more difficult to recover from in the long term.   Use drugs at your own peril.  I used to just go to AA meetings and call people every single day and talk to them and have them calm me.  After about 2-3 months of this nightmare, the worst was over and I could fend for myself.  Just FYI if you want to do it the hard way and recover completely and not be on any meds.