SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Do withdrawal symptoms always show up right away? Delayed onset

hippopotamus

I'm also very curious about determining the causation of this. In my case it was complicated as i didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms during fast tapering or the three months after quiting high dose paroxetine. It ended up only arising upon major CNS disruption from a suboxone withdrawal. I was left assuming it was the suboxone withdrawal causing all the problems, but ultimately determined it was almost purely SSRI related once I re-instated (relief within 24 hours). Complex indeed.

Maybe in your case the onset of WD symptoms 6 weeks later was due to long half life of Paxil? But I cannot understand how come in some cases WD symptoms can start an year later?? Really mysterious... Can other people have stored SSRI in their liver or in fat tissue which is reabsorbing to bloodstream little by little and once they run out of stored SSRI the WD start? I wonder can SSRI accumulate the same way than heavy metals in liver and in other organs?

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I went cold turkey in October and didn't start WD symptoms until some time in December.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

I'm also very curious about determining the causation of this. In my case it was complicated as i didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms during fast tapering or the three months after quiting high dose paroxetine. It ended up only arising upon major CNS disruption from a suboxone withdrawal. I was left assuming it was the suboxone withdrawal causing all the problems, but ultimately determined it was almost purely SSRI related once I re-instated (relief within 24 hours). Complex indeed.

Maybe in your case the onset of WD symptoms 6 weeks later was due to long half life of Paxil? But I cannot understand how come in some cases WD symptoms can start an year later?? Really mysterious... Can other people have stored SSRI in their liver or in fat tissue which is reabsorbing to bloodstream little by little and once they run out of stored SSRI the WD start? I wonder can SSRI accumulate the same way than heavy metals in liver and in other organs?

Paxil actually has one of the shortest half lives, but ends up disrupting its own metabolism in the liver. My theory rests on liver enzyme inhibition or (what a well known doc told me) is actually a tardive (delayed) effect akin to tardive dyskinesia with antipsychotics.

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia. So re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

4) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

5) May 2017 - down to 3.5mg of Paxil (no other meds)
6) Early 2018 - added 8mg of Prozac
7) January 2019 - down to 1.05 Paxil / 5mg Prozac and continuing

8) October 2019 - down to 0.2mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac

9) November 2019 - down to 0.1mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac 

10) March 2020 - done with Paxil, 2.5mg Prozac

11) April 2021 - 0.03mg Prozac

Paxil actually has one of the shortest half lives, but ends up disrupting its own metabolism in the liver. My theory rests on liver enzyme inhibition or (what a well known doc told me) is actually a tardive (delayed) effect akin to tardive dyskinesia with antipsychotics.

I also believe that the liver enzymes has a lot to do with how much one get damaged by SSRI and how long the half life of SSRI is individually. Of course it sound logic that these drugs can accumulate more if one has slow metabolism. Is this what you mean?

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

• 1 month later...

Exactly what happened to me. I quit Zoloft 25 mg ct in February 2015 after being on it 4 years. I had some brain zaps for a few weeks and felt not too bad (looking back there were some wd symptoms like fatigue but nothing debilitating). A year later, feb 2016 I got slammed with dizziness, derealization, headaches, nausea. I had no idea what it was. I wish I would have known then what I do now. I didn't know it was delayed wd and eventually tried many different ssris with terrible adverse reactions to everything and now am in a world of hurt. I understanding now that this is going to be a long journey, but at least I know what it is.

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delayed withdrawal probably happens much more often than people realize. In my case, it wasn't until I stumbled onto withdrawal forums, that I realized my symptoms might be connected with drugs I had stopped taking 30 months earlier.

After an initial acute phase, after my 2 month 'taper', I felt relatively well for several months. So when new and strange symptoms started arising, I didn't make a connection and like most people, thought it was  a new illness or an old one manifesting in a new way.

This pattern of delayed withdrawal probably accounts for a lot of people believing they can come off antidepressants fairly easily, but then the delayed withdrawal gets misdiagnosed as something else, for which more medication is prescribed, and the cycle continues.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I quit Citalopram cold turkey from 40mg - 0mg within 4 weeks - August 2015.

I had shooting pains in my head here and there and a restless leg some nights for a few months. Didn't attribute it to withdrawal. Thought it was stress.

Then 5 months later, January 2016 - after a heavy night of drinking - BAM - woke up to a massive panic attack - thought I was dying. That's when my main symptom started - floaty boat/swaying/rocking. I have it 12 months now. The anxiety has calmed down a good bit. It was much much worse. Recovery from health anxiety big time.

I wonder if I never touched drink, would I have been fine?

• 3 months later...

Glad I found this topic!

Delayed withdrawal - that's what I experienced, and just thought it was relapse so reinstated Citalopram (which took 7 weeks to work and they were HELL).

IT seems that many people have done a short (less than 6 month) taper or CTed, and then been hit months after. Has it happened to anyone after a taper of 2+ years?

A very slow taper seems to be the best strategy (which feels strange when you don't have any WD symptoms during taper).

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

I quit Citalopram cold turkey from 40mg - 0mg within 4 weeks - August 2015.

I had shooting pains in my head here and there and a restless leg some nights for a few months. Didn't attribute it to withdrawal. Thought it was stress.

Then 5 months later, January 2016 - after a heavy night of drinking - BAM - woke up to a massive panic attack - thought I was dying. That's when my main symptom started - floaty boat/swaying/rocking. I have it 12 months now. The anxiety has calmed down a good bit. It was much much worse. Recovery from health anxiety big time.

I wonder if I never touched drink, would I have been fine?

how long you took lexapro?

did you had insomnia in wd time?

when the things go better?

thank you

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2013 at 0:29 PM, Altostrata said:

Reasons why withdrawal symptoms may not be immediately apparent:

• "Washout," related to drug half-life, takes some time; minute amounts of drug in the body holding off withdrawal symptoms (particularly with long half-life drugs such as Prozac, where washout takes weeks).

• Outright misdiagnosis and mistreatment of withdrawal symptoms, causing worsening of condition.

• Symptoms are attributed to something else, such as the flu or situational stress.

• Symptoms may be mild initially and the person doesn't pay any attention to them.

• Symptoms of nervous system instability might initially be very mild with the homeostasis gradually deteriorating over time, producing more severe, noticeable symptoms.

• Other ???

This might be a dumb observation but. Wouldnt it be possible that the stronger your systems.and brain get the more aggressive it becomes weeks and months later? You may not feel much initially because your brain is sedated and damaged...once it wakes up and..recognizes what it has to heal it starts to do this aggressively? 

My first withdrawal attempt felt this way. I would feel.an agonizing over activity all day the next day I felt my cognition was better and I was self aware of it. But it took me 3.months to see drastic changes...?

Hi. New signature...Sept 4

I am currently on 450 mgs of lithium and I take it three times a day after meals. I take 1 mg of klonopin as well before sleep. Im not changing or tapering for atleast 2 months. 

I cold turkeyed respirodone that I took between April and June due to psychosis. Having signs of involuntary movement or signs of tardive dis. every afternoon since I tapered lithium..

• ChessieCat changed the title to Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms
  • 1 month later...
On 14/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, Lorin said:

how long you took lexapro?

did you had insomnia in wd time?

when the things go better?

thank you

Never took Lexapro. 

• 1 month later...

I had been on Sertraline for several years. I tapered off of it June/July 2017. I was very busy planning a big trip at the time and a bit of insomnia was all I remember having. 

I left for Europe in mid August thinking that it was much easier to get off the med than I first feared. I felt wonderful the whole time. 

3 days after getting home and working through some jet lag, I had a night with extremely cold feet. Next morning, they felt a little numb. I thought it must be my lower back acting up. I still have it on and off after 3 months. With in a month I was experiencing more severe depression than I’d ever known! 

It wasn’t until I started researching and found this site that I realized what was happening to me. I’ve never heard of a delayed response to withdrawal but now  I’m sure my many and ever-changing symptoms can be explained by this! 

My theory is that I was running on adrenaline due to the constant change of scenery at that time and the jet lag weekened me. Or, maybe it really was just a delay and I was very lucky to get home before it started. 

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

On 10/21/2015 at 11:19 PM, Sampo said:

I had been 3 months without Sertraline when withdrawal symptoms really started. When I ended it first time it took maybe 4 months to get PSSD.

I have the same symptoms. The same happened to me. I wish I could talk to u more on this topic

17 hours ago, Dalalea said:

I had been on Sertraline for several years. I tapered off of it June/July 2017. I was very busy planning a big trip at the time and a bit of insomnia was all I remember having. 

I left for Europe in mid August thinking that it was much easier to get off the med than I first feared. I felt wonderful the whole time. 

3 days after getting home and working through some jet lag, I had a night with extremely cold feet. Next morning, they felt a little numb. I thought it must be my lower back acting up. I still have it on and off after 3 months. With in a month I was experiencing more severe depression than I’d ever known! 

It wasn’t until I started researching and found this site that I realized what was happening to me. I’ve never heard of a delayed response to withdrawal but now  I’m sure my many and ever-changing symptoms can be explained by this! 

My theory is that I was running on adrenaline due to the constant change of scenery at that time and the jet lag weekened me. Or, maybe it really was just a delay and I was very lucky to get home before it started. 

was almost exactly 3 months for me also if you read my intro, months 5, 6 and 7 were worse, month 8 things improving a lot, over last month things seem to be improving a lot more

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Hi dj,

I’m starting month 6. Lots of trouble with waking too early on most mornings. I’m hoping by month 8 I can say I’m improving that much, also! 

Dalalea's Introduction

Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove

1 hour ago, Dalalea said:

Hi dj,

I’m starting month 6. Lots of trouble with waking too early on most mornings. I’m hoping by month 8 I can say I’m improving that much, also! 

my sleep is far from normal but much improved now especially since having epsom salt baths every night, still waking usually 2 - 3 times in the night but now usually getting 7 or more hours of sleep in total, except for last few days as had a flu type bug and havent been able to breath while in bed so very poor sleep, started running and swimming again over the last month which was not possible before so definitely improvements recently, take good care of yourself, try do lots of walking and eat very clean and I am sure you will be fine with time,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Thanks for the encouragement, dj! Good luck to you!

Dalalea's Introduction

On 1/18/2014 at 6:42 AM, Hexal said:

Is it common to have delayed withdrawal symptoms or is it something of a rarity?

I noticed no problems whatsoever when I was tapering off Sertraline and was a bit surprised by it. 2 1/2 months had gone by before the symptoms slowly started emerging and they have continued to evolve ever since.

This delay makes it even harder to convince my doctor in any way about this stuff (probably an exercise in futility, anyway). Even friends and family are asking me; are you sure this is not just stress or anxiety expressing itself in a weird way? Why would the drug start causing these problems months after stopping?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed already.

Don't know whether u will see this comment or not. This is exactly what happened to me. 

Yes! The only thing that keeps me from worrying more about it is that others have had the same thing happen! This forum has already helped me so much! Thank you for sharing this!

How are you doing, now?

Dalalea's Introduction

On 1/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, Dalalea said:

Yes! The only thing that keeps me from worrying more about it is that others have had the same thing happen! This forum has already helped me so much! Thank you for sharing this!

How are you doing, now?

I am tapering my meds now (bupropion and alprazolam) my anxiety has subsided now and I feel clear headed but my sexual dysfunction has not improved (zero libido and poor errection) and I feel reduced emotional range. Thank u dear

• 1 month later...

I had a couple of crashes, both some months after coming off the drugs, and experienced long-term symptoms as well, you can read my story at my introduction  thread:

neroli: Is this benzo withdrawal, or other drugs interacting

2006 Citalopram 20mg on and off to 2013.  April 2013 - July 2014  Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine v. bad reactions. July 2014 - CT Mirtazapine.  July 2014 - February 2016 Medication free, long term w/d.  February - July 2016 Fluoxetine.  Medication free, long term w/d syndrome.  2017 Jan physical breakdown.

2017 February - March Escitalopram, Nortriptyline instated.  Lorazepam, Zopiclone PRN.  April 2017 Lithium Carbonate 250mg 1 wk. 14 August 2017 finish cross to Diazepam 22.5mg daily, stop Zopiclone

Tapers:

Diazepam 

2017 21 August - 30 Dec 21.25mg to 14.5mg 2018 6 Jan - 11 May to 12mg.  2 June updose to 12.25mg - hold. 2019 (0.5mg cuts) 12 Jan - 28 Dec 12mg to 10mg 2020 (0.25mg cuts) - 25 Jan - 29 Dec 9.75mg to 6.25mg 2021 *May have bungled dose and accidentally took 1mg more for about a month (7.25mg), so 4 Jan started again at 6.5mg; 19 Jan 6.25mg; 1 Feb 6.0mg; 23 Feb 5.75mg; 9 Mar 5.5mg; 23 Mar 5.25mg; 9 Apr 5.0mg; 6 May 4.75mg; 13 May 4.5mg; 6 Jun 4mg; 12 July 3.5mg; 2 sep 3.0mg; 15 Sep 2.5mg; 1 Nov 2mg; 15 Nov 1.5mg; 16 Dec 1mg; 26 Dec 0.5mg; 2022 1 Jan - OFF

Escitalopram - 2022 1 Mar to 9mg; 29 Mar 8mg; 24 May 7mg; 21 Jun 5mg; 19 Jul 4mg; 1 Sep 3mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 31 Oct 1.5mg; 22 Nov 0.5mg; 2023 1 Jan 0.25mg; 1 Mar OFF

Nortriptyline  2018 90mg to 2020 1 Dec down to 72.5mg; 2021 20 May 70mg; 8 Jun 67.5mg; 24 Jun 65mg; 31 July 60mg; 12 Oct 55mg; 23 Oct 50mg; 2022 13 Jan 40mg; 22 Jan 30mg; 29 Mar 20mg; 26 Apr 10mg; 3 Aug 5mg; 23 Sep 2.5mg; 2023 1 Jan - OFF

1 March 2023 - off all drugs - 6-year taper off three drugs.

• 6 months later...

I know no one knows the answer but I'm a little fearful because initially I went from 225MG VenlafaxineXR to 187.50 to 150 to 112.50 within a 3 month period. At 112.5 I had minimal withdrawal symptoms and found this site. Since then  have been doing the recommended 10% taper, but I have no way of knowing if my initial dropping so quickly will catch up with me. I think I am dwelling on it too much. I am really doing well. But then I read about people falling flat on their faces a few months later and it scares me. I think one can use this site helpfully but you can also scare yourself. I'm probably foolishly worrying about what might happen down the road instead of staying in the moment. I think I am typing this so no one else worries when they are doing well.

Edited by Gridley

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

"worrying about what might happen down the road instead of staying in the moment. I think I am typing this so no one else worries when they are doing well."

You have it figured out, WantofVen.  No one can tell what's going to happen, so you're much ahead assuming it's going to be okay.  Worrying uses up valuable energy that you need for healing.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2014 at 9:57 AM, rapunzel2 said:

I ended zoloft within a few months, and then also had a very good period - totally well and grounded. after it started going bad - at first with wild fluctuations (waves), until I totally crashed, big time. the crash came about 4-5 months after the quit.

brain accostumes to taking SSRI by reducing it's serotonin receptors and reducing their sensitivity. if drug is removed, it has to restore the receptors and start working in a totally different way. the pace of this restoration is slow, and it probably just runs into havoc after trying and trying to gain some new equilibrium. 

I tapered from 10mg to zero in 4 weeks . The first month I did ok, with a few symptoms but I managed them. I even felt a bit high from the thought that I had gotten off the drugs and was managing. Little did I know the full fury of WD would hit me around the 4 week mark and stuck around too. Every symptom expect for brain zaps ( i suppose I must be grateful for that). The worst have been derealization and memory problems. The deterioration was rapid. I've been quite ill ever since. I would NOT recommend a fast withdrawal, you take a huge risk.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

• 4 weeks later...

I was on Zoloft for four years, starting in late 2013 and ending in late 2017 when I CTed. 

Nothing happened to me, not for the first three weeks, not for the first five months after. I just slowly became more and more depressed as 2018 began and went on and also noticed some short term memory problems, but nothing debilitating.

Until finally in September I wake up one day and notice my vision was different, and then health anxiety soon followed after that, then crying episodes came into play very soon after.

Then in October I noticed the ringing in my ears is a bit louder than usual

But to this day I barely have any symptoms, and honestly after all that I have read on this site: The lack of symptoms is honestly starting to concern me.

Is there anyone else here that only experienced mental symptoms? Or anyone else that CTed without any immediate reaction? 

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lack of symptoms?
  • Mentor

I almost CT'd from Zoloft (4 week "taper") and what you said above kind of tracks with my first 5-6 months. Increasing depression week by week until month 6 or so and then I've had cog fog, akathisia, extreme anxiety, leaky eyes, light sensitivity, head pressure, debilitating headaches. I had tinnitus before from a head surgery but it has gotten worse in WD. I see that you were able to reinstate so perhaps that has waylaid any physical symptoms. Everybody's recovery is different. That is great though that you were able to reinstate which, as I understand it, can arrest WD symptoms while your CNS heals.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

Im always hesitant to reply to stuff like this because it scares me to read about others but my cold turkey from zoloft gave me mental symptoms for a year and then full blown withdrawal started and knocked me for 6. My withdrawal seems to be completely all over the place in terms of symptoms. I don't think there's a pattern at all tbh. 

Fluanxol dosage n/a - 6 months cold turkey Start/ may 2015 end/august 2015

Sertraline 100mg - 10 months cold turkey start/ may 2015 End/Feb 2016

On 11/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, trenace said:

Im always hesitant to reply to stuff like this because it scares me to read about others but my cold turkey from zoloft gave me mental symptoms for a year and then full blown withdrawal started and knocked me for 6. My withdrawal seems to be completely all over the place in terms of symptoms. I don't think there's a pattern at all tbh. 

How long were you on zoloft? and what dosage?

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

100mg just under a year can't remember exactly. I fought heightened anxiety and insomnia for a year and then at roughly the year mark I developed almost every symptom. 

On 11/24/2018 at 4:17 AM, Jansin said:

Is there anyone else here that only experienced mental symptoms? Or anyone else that CTed without any immediate reaction? 

It took six weeks for my withdrawal to hit me and I've pretty much only had mental symptoms: Mostly depression (which is severe), really obsessive health anxety (only the first month or so, so far) constant general anxiety, agitation (which has very occasionally been akathisia like) , depersonalisation and this weird unsettling/dissociated/foggy feeling and various oher weird feelings. I have almost total anhedonia too, but on reflection that had that for years. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, trenace said:

100mg just under a year can't remember exactly. I fought heightened anxiety and insomnia for a year and then at roughly the year mark I developed almost every symptom. 

Did you take anything other than sertraline? 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

14 minutes ago, VincentV said:

It took six weeks for my withdrawal to hit me and I've pretty much only had mental symptoms: Mostly depression (which is severe), really obsessive health anxety (only the first month or so, so far) constant general anxiety, agitation (which has very occasionally been akathisia like) , depersonalisation and this weird unsettling/dissociated/foggy feeling and various oher weird feelings. I have almost total anhedonia too, but on reflection that had that for years. 

Did you take anything other than sertraline? 

Yes fluanxol for only a few months and cold turkeyd that too then cold turkeyd the sertraline after. 

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

How many of you had very minor symptoms shortly after quitting the drug, maybe you thought it was a cold or something else?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How many of you had very minor symptoms shortly after quitting the drug, maybe you thought it was a cold or something else?

Or an upset stomach?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Oh I did get stomach issues a week after coming off my brief stint on mirtazapine. Insomnia for two or three days and an over sensitivity to histimines which I'd already forgotten about. These seemed to clear up very quickly, and actually felt like how Drs tell you a withdrawal ought to be... Aside from the mental horror of my lived experience ofcourse. Sertraline and Mirtazapine have rendered my mind a Somme-like wasteland. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Merged similar topics.

Well, I haven't quit quite yet ;) but I am having, err, gastrointestinal symptoms that are rather annoying.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy