Imlost2: 17 years on psychiatric drugs and off for 11 months

imlost2

hi im11 months off psychiatric drugs and feeling bad im in a constant wave with just very little windows but I"m thankful for  SA if it wasn't for this site ill  be back on those terrible drugs ,I did tried two times to stop this drugs but end up back again per doctors orders they all say its your depression and anxiety returning and you need to be on this drugs the rest of your life .

may 1997 break down tried tofranil,Haldol for 2 months,july 97 paxil 20mgs my doctor coldturkey paxil on2002.20mgs celexa  and my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mgs in 2005 no tapper in 2009 I tried to stop Lexapro too fast  then I reinstated and had a bad reaction switch to pristiq 50mgs for 4 months real bad move and I was put on Xanax 2mgs but it made my anxiety worse the klonopin 2mgs was prescribed in 2009 in 2010 I tapered for one year free from benzos since feb 2011 and left with 10 mgs celexa in 2013 I started my slow tapper 10 mgs in a year so I m antidepressant free since july 2014. So  here is my drug history tofranil,Haldol,paxil,celexa,Lexapro,lamictal,Xanax,klonopin,ativan,pristiq.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi imlost , welcome to the site. Big congratulations for getting this far.

Could you try to fill in your signature with as much history as you can remember.

What is your current symptom pattern? Have you had any support during the past year?

Good to have you on board , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Imlost and welcome to SA,

as Fresh wrote, it would be very helpful to add you short drug history in your signature so that we can better understand your context. The instructions are here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

17 years is a long time and you have come a long way so congratulations. How did you taper?

What you hear from your doctor is the most common explanation of the withdrawal syndrome they have.

Have you tried taking magnesium and omega 3?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/.

You will get a lot of friendly support on your journey here.

Once again welcome.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Welcome Imlost2. I was 20 years on Zoloft, which I was prescribed for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I also am 11 months off.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thank you fresh,bubble and love2knit for the welcome ill try to remember all the drugs, tappers and coldturkeys i m been.

may 1997 break down tried tofranil,Haldol for 2 months,july 97 paxil 20mgs my doctor coldturkey paxil on2002.20mgs celexa  and my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mgs in 2005 no tapper in 2009 I tried to stop Lexapro too fast  then I reinstated and had a bad reaction switch to pristiq 50mgs for 4 months real bad move and I was put on Xanax 2mgs but it made my anxiety worse the klonopin 2mgs was prescribed in 2009 in 2010 I tapered for one year free from benzos since feb 2011 and left with 10 mgs celexa in 2013 I started my slow tapper 10 mgs in a year so I m antidepressant free since july 2014. So  here is my drug history tofranil,Haldol,paxil,celexa,Lexapro,lamictal,Xanax,klonopin,ativan,pristiq.

Luv2knit what are your symptoms at 11 months off ?

• 5 months later...

hi im a member of SA for over a year  and iam 16 off antidepressants and 4.5 years off benzo my withdrawl is been hard and painful but I been able to walk thru the horrible symptoms but right now iam feeling terrible specialy because my wife just gaved me the news that  she is pregnant we have two daughters one is 21 years old she lives at home but works part time and goes to community college ,my other daughter is 19 she is at a university and I just need reassurance that this horrible withdrawl will pass and I will heal so I can help my wife and be abe to enjoy a new baby .Also a year ago my dad got really sick and he needed a heart transplant and in the middle of my withdrawl I was there with him.He is ok now with a new heart thank god Like many of us that been in this meds I was a robot just living the life so I made the decision of stop the meds and have my feelings back but im so scared right now I know if I heal im going to be able to enjoy my baby and have real feelings not numb like when I raised my other kids im also worried because im 43 years old and feel like I will never feel whole and healty please any member that can give advice and reassurance I will appreciate it .Tony

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tony ,   this will be joined with your other thread in the Introductions section 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9479-imlost2-17-years-on-psychiatric-drugs-and-off-for-11-months

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

per doctors orders they all say its your depression and anxiety returning and you need to be on this drugs the rest of your life .

Dont fall for it this is a lie....straight from the marketing department of pharma

So glad you found sa . hey maybe you  should change your name because you were lost but not anymore!

The first year of wdl is very rough . Some report improvements in the second year and even more in the 2-3 yr.

As Bubble says you have come a long way ...you are doing so well.

Hang in there.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Hello, Imlost.

What are your present symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hi Alto my symptoms are depression ,insomnia broken sleep I manage 4 and a half hours then it im a wake two hours and I finally sleep another hour full of vivid dreams then I have to get up to go to work but last night I had zero sleep I had adrenaline or cortisol rushes my body felt like I was burning inside and every week my symptoms change last week I was completely flat no feelings its so hard but I am thankful for this site and members like you that offer support.

thanks nz11 for you reply and encouragement I know its been so hard for me and my family I know they been suffering too seen me like this because to them iam their rock and support but right now I feel so broken like I need to build my self back but not my old self but a different one that can face life and its challenges with a clean and better mind and soul.Because I don't want to back on those mind altering meds.

• Administrator

Please consider fish oil and magnesium -- bubble gave you the informational links.

See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

It's important to stay calm, don't let things get you angry, anxious, or upset.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto what would you recommend magnesium oxide,magnesium citrate or chelated I have all three and fish oil also I just had a full check and the only thing that my doctor found is that  iam  low in vitamin d and I tried 1000iu for four days but I had a bad reaction to it my body is too sensitive

• Administrator

You can try less vitamin D, perhaps 400IU, take the D3 form.

Please read the magnesium topic about types of magnesium. bubble gave you the link.

• 2 months later...

hi iam 18 months off and need help im been in a long wave for over a month in the holidays me and my family decide to go on vacations out of the country and I had to drive for 36 hours then during our vacations my wife had a miscarriage it was so traumatic for  both of us then I had to come back and drove for another two days I was so exhausted then after two days home I stared to feel real bad with anxiety,deppression,nausea,brain zaps,insomnia,adrenaline cortisol rushes,fear,rage,lost appetite,is this a set back I need reausuranse please some body that is been like me this far out?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a real bad wave right now and I need advice from people going thru the withdrawls I started going to see a therapist and she told me I have ptsd and she want me to work in that area but from reading other peoples withdrawl symptoms they all have memories of childhood traumas that resurface when they are going thru withdrawl my last visit she sarted on 15 minutes session of reviving the past traumas and I left even worse so should I ask her to stop that ptsd treatment because I just need her to listen to my problems and worries and guide me to be a more positive person and also when I asked her if she knows something about antidepressant withdrawl she said theres not such of thing and she never heard of that before what should I do?sorry for my bad English

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Imlost2,

Sorry about your current wave.  I've moved your post to your original thread to keep all your info together.  Whenever you want to post just reply to this topic.

Sounds like your therapist is very unhelpful.  You don't need to be un-earthing old problems while you are dealing with withdrawal.  It it were me, I'd look around for a therapist who will help you learn techniques that will be useful to you now - such as CBT or EFT.  You have a good idea of what you want in a therapist, so see if you can find someone who will do that.

Otherwise you can always learn these things on the internet.

I hope you find someone helpful,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Sorry to read about the miscarriage, we have a impaired central nervous system and brain and it is trying to heal so any situational upsets  of course will set it off.  Especially traumatic ones. Goodness me I had total meltdowns in the first four years from some of the most trivial and ridiculous things.

regarding  this therapy stuff.... I'm with Karen, I also think the counsellor is not being helpful.

My feeling is your therapist doesnt understand ssri wdl so it really is better to find a person who can simply reassure you like a broken record with one sentence" you are going to be ok just hold on" .imo. In fact thats CBT isnt it when we start saying for ourselves 'I'm going to be okay', when a wave comes.

Rather than retype i'll give you this

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-☼-nz11-climbs-onboard/?p=201143

Also hang out in the neuro emotions thread

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

And basically this whole area

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

Actually I said a person in SSRI withdrawal is really a counsellors nightmare, however a person SSRI withdrawal can also be a counsellors dream, because the therapy can be dragged out for an extraordinary length of time yet with no progress being made. I question the ethics of some of these because surely counselling should be set up to have a point of closure. After that people should be released with the tools to self soothe. Yet sometimes I read about people talking about having therapy for years, what on earth is that all about?

If you have a pain at about chest height  from a too heavy wallet, counselling is sure to ease that pain.

Wonderful thing about SA is there a whole heap of  information and it's all for free.

(Well apart from the yearly membership fee, I got in early this year with Jan discounts, 50% discount on annual membership but doesn't include PM ability,(no problem that's half my workload cut down), limited to only 5 postings per day,  unlimited postings on your own intro, and unlimited viewing off-line. Actually I think I might have gone over my limit today however that's no problem though because unused  posting limits can be rolled over for the week and carried forward... I got a special deal! But don't worry special deals come up quite often).

You'll be hard pressed to find any doctor who understands protracted SSRI withdrawal and that will go for any counsellors as well.

I'm not saying don't go to counselling I'm just saying you might want to consider putting it on hold for a couple of years until the central nervous system and the neuro emotions settle down. This is just my opinion. Or as Karen suggests find someone who is not so aggressive. And someone who doesn't go on past witchhunts.

A family member or a dear non-judgemental listening friend, who can provide unconditional positive regard, and a broken record reassurance that you're going to be okay, maybe all you need at this time.

And don't forget you've got us here in SA.

Check out the Claire Weeks thread

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

nz11

One day when I was in acute withdrawal, my brain turned on me and reminded me of a time in the past when I cheated a point in a racket sports game ... I called a shot out from an opponent that was really in. My brain reminded me of that and hounded me for months  I cried and cried and wanted to die because of it and it happened years ago.  Such is the torment of neuro emotions in withdrawal.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

thanks Karen and NZ11 for the advice I appreciate it so much

thanks Karen and NZ11 for the advice I appreciate it so much

on behalf of the kiwis ...you're welcome.

nz11

oops i've gone over my daily posting quota..gotta go!!

Recovering paxil addict