SoMuchGrace: so tired of the panic and anxiety

SoMuchGrace

Hello I tried to put in a signature but was told that there were too many lines even when it was reduced to one.  Here ia a brief history:

Took 20 mg of Celexa for 8-10 years for what my doctor said was seasonal affective disorder

Retired from teaching a year ago last in May 2014, and tried to taper from med at that time, unsuccefully

Tapered for 2 months again last April and May

Developed flu like pain a week or so after off all Celexa

Took Tylenol with codeine for the pain for about 10 days before I realized it was making me sicker than original illness

Immediately developed extreme worry, anxiety with lot of crying, panic, feeling of heart palpitations for which my doctor prescribed .25mg of Xanax which is not being used everyday.

I've read a book by Claire Weeks and am trying to stay calm when these episodes occur.  There are some days when there is little feeling of panic or isolation.  I've had nightmares of being locked away from everyone and that starts the misery all over again.

I'm eating a ketogenic diet in order to facillitate weight loss and  reduction of medications.  This is successful. (One author said that a diet can sometimes cause anxiety, but eating this way is best for me.)

Is there any chance of ever living anxiety free?  Would the 20mg of Celexa for 8-10 years be enough to cause these miserable symptoms?  Do you have advice?  Is the Xanax every few days making it al worse?

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome SoMuchGrace,

It sounds to me like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from coming off Celexa too fast. I did the same thing by tapering off lexapro over 2 months back in 2010. I had been on SSRIs for 13 years.

Doctors don't understand withdrawal syndrome. They often want to add or increase drugs, which can make it worse. The xanax you are taking may actually be making your condition worse.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once someone has stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Also see:

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

What is withdrawal syndrome?

I’m glad you found us, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello I tried to put in a signature but was told that there were too many lines even when it was reduced to one.  Here ia a brief history:

Took 20 mg of Celexa for 8-10 years for what my doctor said was seasonal affective disorder

Retired from teaching a year ago last in May 2014, and tried to taper from med at that time, unsuccefully

Tapered for 2 months again last April and May

Developed flu like pain a week or so after off all Celexa

Took Tylenol with codeine for the pain for about 10 days before I realized it was making me sicker than original illness

Immediately developed extreme worry, anxiety with lot of crying, panic, feeling of heart palpitations for which my doctor prescribed .25mg of Xanax which is not being used everyday.

I've read a book by Claire Weeks and am trying to stay calm when these episodes occur.  There are some days when there is little feeling of panic or isolation.  I've had nightmares of being locked away from everyone and that starts the misery all over again.

I'm eating a ketogenic diet in order to facillitate weight loss and  reduction of medications.  This is successful. (One author said that a diet can sometimes cause anxiety, but eating this way is best for me.)

Is there any chance of ever living anxiety free?  Would the 20mg of Celexa for 8-10 years be enough to cause these miserable symptoms?  Do you have advice?  Is the Xanax every few days making it al worse?

Thank you!

I had a really horrible reaction to adderall and marijuana plus SSRI withdrawals.  I ended up in a severely depersonalized state with severe panic attacks and anxiety that made my live an absolute living hell.  Amazingly, most of those symptoms disappeared after 9 months.  I endured absolute and utter hell for about 3 months, and then hell continued for the next 6 months or so, and then thing started to be somewhat tolerable and I didn't have an urge to kill myself every day to make the pain go away.

So long story short:  If I can recover from my horribly miserable state, you'll recover from your less awful state - probably much much quicker than I did.  Just stay drug free and be patient.  The brain will rewire itself if you give it enough time.

I'd reevaluate after 3 months of waiting, and then 6 months.  The brain typically takes months not weeks to rewire itself, so set your expectations low and hunker down and wait this out.  You can totally do it, as long as you realize it's NOT going to suddenly happen over night.  It takes time, but in most cases by 3 months from today you'll see substantial improvements.

Your replies are so appreciated.  Since, I tapered too fast, but have had some good days here and there, would it be wise to start taking the Celexa again to affect a more drawn out withdrawal?  Should I just ride it out?

I'm going to move the Xanax out of my purse to a drawer.  It's a baby step.  Thanks for pointing out the possibility of withdrawal interference with that drug.

This experience in addition to taking prescribed meds for type 2 diabetes have really made me aware of how little some doctors know.

• Moderator Emeritus

Since, I tapered too fast, but have had some good days here and there, would it be wise to start taking the Celexa again to affect a more drawn out withdrawal?  Should I just ride it out?

No one can tell you with any accuracy what you should do, because everyone's experience with coming off these drugs and withdrawal is different. Its possible that you may be feeling a lot better in a couple of months, on the other hand, you could be feeling worse than you are now.

When I tapered too fast, I went through a period of acute flu-like withdrawal symptoms, but then felt like I was getting better for several months. Then I started experiencing new symptoms, which at the time, I didn't connect to withdrawal. By the time I found this site and figured out what was going on, I was well into being in a state of protracted withdrawal and it was too late for me to reinstate.

Reinstatement has a better chance of working when done sooner rather than later. Read through the reinstatement topic again, it will help you decide.

Periods of feeling better are called 'windows'. When symptoms return, these are called 'waves'. Recovery happens in a pattern of increasing windows and decreasing waves. If you are noticing already that your windows are increasing and waves decreasing, then that's a sign you are starting to recover.

See:  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Reinstatement and slow tapering gives you the opportunity to control the rate at which you experience withdrawal symptoms and maintain the functionality of your life. Going cold turkey and leaving the healing process completely up to your nervous system takes away your ability to control the process. You are probably at a place where you still have that choice.

I don't want to scare you, but the reality is that there are many of us here who are suffering with significant withdrawal symptoms months and years after going CT or tapering too fast.

I'm going to move the Xanax out of my purse to a drawer.  It's a baby step.  Thanks for pointing out the possibility of withdrawal interference with that drug.

I'm glad you have decided to do this. There are 2 potential problems with benzos, like xanax. One is that in a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal, its very easy to experience rebound, interdose withdrawal from the benzo. This means that you may experience some relief when you take it, but as it leaves your body, a few hours later, your symptoms return even worse than before, which causes more stress on the nervous system, slowing your recovery.

The other issue is that its possible to become physically dependent on a benzo in as little as two weeks if taken regularly (more than 1 -2 times a week). Then this drug will also need to be tapered to avoid a secondary withdrawal syndrome.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Since, I tapered too fast, but have had some good days here and there, would it be wise to start taking the Celexa again to affect a more drawn out withdrawal?  Should I just ride it out?

No one can tell you with any accuracy what you should do, because everyone's experience with coming off these drugs and withdrawal is different. Its possible that you may be feeling a lot better in a couple of months, on the other hand, you could be feeling worse than you are now.

When I tapered too fast, I went through a period of acute flu-like withdrawal symptoms, but then felt like I was getting better for several months. Then I started experiencing new symptoms, which at the time, I didn't connect to withdrawal. By the time I found this site and figured out what was going on, I was well into being in a state of protracted withdrawal and it was too late for me to reinstate.

Reinstatement has a better chance of working when done sooner rather than later. Read through the reinstatement topic again, it will help you decide.

Periods of feeling better are called 'windows'. When symptoms return, these are called 'waves'. Recovery happens in a pattern of increasing windows and decreasing waves. If you are noticing already that your windows are increasing and waves decreasing, then that's a sign you are starting to recover.

See:  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Reinstatement and slow tapering gives you the opportunity to control the rate at which you experience withdrawal symptoms and maintain the functionality of your life. Going cold turkey and leaving the healing process completely up to your nervous system takes away your ability to control the process. You are probably at a place where you still have that choice.

I don't want to scare you, but the reality is that there are many of us here who are suffering with significant withdrawal symptoms months and years after going CT or tapering too fast.

I'm glad you have decided to do this. There are 2 potential problems with benzos, like xanax. One is that in a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal, its very easy to experience rebound, interdose withdrawal from the benzo. This means that you may experience some relief when you take it, but as it leaves your body, a few hours later, your symptoms return even worse than before, which causes more stress on the nervous system, slowing your recovery.

The other issue is that its possible to become physically dependent on a benzo in as little as two weeks if taken regularly (more than 1 -2 times a week). Then this drug will also need to be tapered to avoid a secondary withdrawal syndrome.

I've read most of the links given to me and will continue to read.  I seem to experience a pattern on most days of feeling like myself until late afternoon or early evening, and then it starts.  I feel a tightness in my chest and the tears come easily.  I'll call my family physician in the morning to see about reinstating at a 10 mg dose.  I'll probably have to do the tapering on my own by using the liquid, made by dissolving in water.  This is totally beyond the understanding of my husband and friends, except for one. I feel alone and covet the conversation with any of you. Right now, it wouldn't bother me if it took 2 or 3 years to taper.  I've been duped by Big Pharma and the medical professionals, but have hope that I can come out a winner anyway.

• Administrator

Welcome, Somuchgrace.

If I were you, I'd start at perhaps 2.5mg Celexa. Your nervous system may have adapted somewhat to a lower dose. Also, withdrawal symptoms mean your nervous system is very sensitive -- too high a dose of Celexa can make it a lot worse.

So starting low and cautiously is the better way to test the waters.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Somuchgrace.

If I were you, I'd start at perhaps 2.5mg Celexa. Your nervous system may have adapted somewhat to a lower dose. Also, withdrawal symptoms mean your nervous system is very sensitive -- too high a dose of Celexa can make it a lot worse.

So starting low and cautiously is the better way to test the waters.

Altostrata, thank you over and over for that bit of advice.  Since my physician would be of little to no help, I depend on others who have been through these circumstances.  (This reminds me of other diabetics who were the ones that taught me how to reverse the high blood glucose and decrease all the med.)  I'm paying attention to everything you and others have said to me.  This has been my worst day in a few weeks.  The sky is gray and overcast and my legs are really hurting for no explainable reason.   But, no Xanax or codeine.   Hopefully, tomorrow will be better