dreamspirit: my journey - it sucks

dreamspirit

Hi Dreamspirit-- the big factor is how sensitive you are to the drug.  Using the weight of 500mg tablet weigth for 40mgs active ingredient weight it works out that 1mg of tablet contains 0.08mgs (8/100) active ingredient.  That's not very much. So unless you are super sensitive to the drug the fluctuation between tablets should not cause any problems.  I've used 40mg paxil tablets my entire taper and use an average weight of 500mg for my calculations, and have had no problems.

Also subtracting 12.5 from the pill weight will only work for the first reduction.  The better way to figure it is Average pill weight X 0.975 = dose weight for your first reduction.  Then Current Dose Weight X 0.975 to get your subsequent Dose Weights.  That will maintain a constant 2.5% reduction for the entire taper, where as just subtracting 12.5 would slowly increase your dose size over time.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dreamspirit

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• tgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thank you so much!Brass.. I started my taper a week ago. When I drop again I will do what you said. I'm not planning on dropping again until April or May.

I'm going extra slow this time around :-)

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 3 weeks since I did my first drop. It's been going ok. Some days I feel like I have energy and other days I'm just blah and don't feel like doing anything.

The symptoms I get are achy joints, slight headaches, sometimes stomach issues, a little bit of lightheadness and weird vivid dreams.

I don't get these symptoms everyday but every once in awhile.

I won't drop again till May.

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ds ,  good to hear your symptoms stayed manageable.

Have you seen Stuart Shipko's article " Playing the Odds Revisited" https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-0N7oyt3KAhUkxqYKHXHUBpUQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.madinamerica.com%2F2014%2F07%2Fshooting-odds-revisited%2F&usg=AFQjCNHlN4JOAsxVXUfcm_U00Klad3wvQA&sig2=Br4gsYpF9WnO58-SRNqetQ&bvm=bv.113370389,d.dGY

It seems the type of reaction you had after stopping is not unique.   

I'll be doing what you are , a long slow taper   :D .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 months later...

Starting another drop tonight.. From 39mg to 38mg.. Will hold for another 4 months.

Did my first drop Jan 10 so I held for awhile.. Didn't have any bad symptoms with first drop . Thank goodness! So on to the next!

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear, DS.

Slow and steady.  Don't rock the boat.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 5 months later...

A little update, still on 38 mgs from 40. Only done 2 drops this past year. My last drop was June 1..

past couple of days I started to get more withdrawal symptoms.

Stomach problems, headaches, hot flashes, bathroom problems .

Had one adrenaline rush today... started having blurry vision off and on a month ago..

good thing I haven't dropped again.. went with my gut.. need to wait for all of this to pass..

Ok well I feel a bit better .. the only thing that is driving me nuts is the blurred vision. Guess I might only be able to drop twice a year. Which would take many years to get off completely.

I'm currently on 38 mg from 40. First drop was Jan 10 2016 and second drop was June 1st. Just now getting withdrawal symptoms.. crazy!

I'm not planning on dropping again until Jan 2017 .. that will be a year that I've been tapering..

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, I haven't posted a update in awhile. 

Im still tapering . I'm currently on 37mgs from 40mgs. I started my taper in January 2016 and have been doing 1mg drops every 4-6 months. Mainly every 6.

I haven't really havent had any terrible withdrawal symptoms but I'm having some now. Just minor. I think it's from stress. I've had a very stressful July. First I had a Breast cancer scare cause they found a spot on my mammogram but when I had to go back to get a 3D mammogram the spot was gone. Thank god!

but now I have another stressor added. I may need neck surgery. I see a neurosurgeon on sept 13. So I have that stress now ugh! I'm a very nervous person and I've never have had any surgery before so this is scary for me. 

So in July I've been on norco ( just took a few) for pain , steroid and a muscle relaxer. I'm not taking them at the moment. Then I had trigger point injections in my neck muscles and that had some steroids in it. Now not on anything but ibuprofen or aleve. 

I dropped down a mg on July 5 before this all happened but a week later when I found out about my spot on my breast I went back up a mg to 37mg. I'm not planning on doing anymore tapering anytime soon. Not until all this neck stuff is over. 

My symptoms are.. chills throughout body (Off and on) little bit of Adrenaline surges and couldn't sleep last night. That's it. I'm sure it is all the stress from this month that has triggered it. Hopefully it all goes away soon. 

Tom on here (Brassmonkey) taught me how to calculate my 1 mg drops from a 40mg tablet by Average pill weight X 0.975 = dose weight for your first reduction.  Then Current Dose Weight X 0.975 to get your subsequent Dose Weights.  That will maintain a constant 2.5% reduction for the entire taper.

what if I wanted to do 1/2mg drops then how do I calculate it? 

Im not dropping for awhile but want this info for later. 

Thanks 

• 2 months later...

Ok so the last time I tapered was January from 38mg to 37mg. I then tapered again this past July to 36mg but went back up to 37 after a week because I had a bunch of very stressful things pop up. 

I’m having more withdrawal now then what I did when I just tapered in January. Is this delayed withdrawal? It’s been 10 months since I tapered.

The other times I’ve tapered which was every 4-6 weeks I didn’t get any withdrawal symptoms until almost a year and that’s when I crashed. 

Seems it takes my body almost a year to get withdrawal symptoms from tapering.. 

has anyone else had long delayed withdrawal like that? 

• 3 months later...

Currently on 37mg from 40mg. Been tapering for 2 years now . I’m currently in a wave. My last drop was July of last summer. So 7 months ago. 

These waves and windows are something else ugh! 

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry nobody replied to your thread and questions. I am facing the same thing and wondering what is going on. 

I went down 6.5% ONCE and it's been 4 months and I am getting worse instead of better. It seems impossible that you'd be still so unstable after 7 months of going down just a tiny amount so long ago. This is so hard to figure out. 

Been on Paxil since 1997
Went down from 8mg-7.5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil on February 3rd 2018

Went down another .5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil in March 2018

Went up to 14mg Paxil March 2018

Has anyone replied to you other than me? Have you found answers in other threads?

Been on Paxil since 1997
Went down from 8mg-7.5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil on February 3rd 2018

Went down another .5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil in March 2018

Went up to 14mg Paxil March 2018

Hi mama flower, I’m stable now. I’m guessing that since I’ve been on Paxil for 21 years that the stuff is built up in my system and my system is not use to not having it so I think I will have lots of waves and windows. There are lots of people who have the waves Year’s after being off too so everyone is different I guess. 

How long have you been on paxil? Are you on the Facebook Paxil group ? 

Thanks for replying to my thread. You are the only person lately who has responded. I have had others but not in a long time. I get more replies on fb. 

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi DS, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to dreamspirit: my journey - it sucks!
6 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi DS, 

How are you doing?💚

Hi Carmie, Thanks for responding. I’m doing ok.. Still in my journey.. I’ve only dropped by 3mg in 3 years time... so I went from 40mg to 37mg and felt every bit of it. The last 1mg taper I did was two years ago and I still have waves and windows off and on....

I get very delayed withdrawals. I don’t feel any until almost 7-12 month mark. I’m very sensitive. 

I’m planning another 1mg taper very soon. Then I will hold for 6 months and then taper again for a 2mg drop in a years time.  I can’t go any faster. Wish I could but can’t. 

My first goal is to get to at least 30mg. I set small goals for myself. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to fully get off Paxil but I’m just going to keep going forward. That’s all I can do. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi dreamspirit, 

Thanks for letting us know how you’re doing. Even if we need to go slower than some others, I think all forward movement is great. Good on you for listening to your body. There’s someone on here that feels every tiny drop even though they are down to 000.something or it may even be 0.000 something. They have to go extremely slowly too.

I can only taper by around 4% or so now. When I do my next taper I will taper just over 3%. 

Keep us updated as to how your next drop goes. You sound like you have a good positive attitude.  Wishing you all the best with your continued tapering.💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 month later...

Hi , just thought i would pop in and update.. I’ve been doing a very slow taper of Paxil since Jan 2016..

I’ve went down from 40mg to 37mg.  I have very delayed withdrawals. So I did 1mg drops every 6 months. In July it will be 2 years since I have tapered .. still having waves and windows . Currently in a wave.. how long do waves come and go? Years I’m assuming? 

At this rate I’ll never get off paxil but I would at lest like to get to 30mg for a first goal.. I can’t taper any faster as my withdrawals get too severe... 

The second time I tried to taper which was 2014 I did 1 mg drops every 4-6 weeks and got down to 30mgs and didn’t really have any symptoms for 8 months  then I crashed big time and had to reinstate my full 40mg dosage.. took me 6 months to fully feel 100% again... I stayed on my full dose for a year then that’s when I started this current taper... 

Do I wait till these waves end for good and then drop again or just drop again when I have another window? If I drop again when I’m still having waves will the symptoms double up on me? 

Anyone?? 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/10/2019 at 2:44 PM, dreamspirit said:

Do I wait till these waves end for good and then drop again or just drop again when I have another window? If I drop again when I’m still having waves will the symptoms double up on me? 

Waves and windows are going to come and go throughout your taper.  What we're looking for in terms of when you drop again is a period (of a month or so) where you have stabilized, which means a general average feeling of feeling not great but not terrible with no wild swings in symptoms.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, Gridley said:

Waves and windows are going to come and go throughout your taper.  What we're looking for in terms of when you drop again is a period (of a month or so) where you have stabilized, which means a general average feeling of feeling not great but not terrible with no wild swings in symptoms.  

Thanks for your reply!! I haven’t tapered in 18 months.. will I still get waves being this far out from the last time I tapered? 

Ive always had very delayed withdrawals.. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, dreamspirit said:

Thanks for your reply!! I haven’t tapered in 18 months.. will I still get waves being this far out from the last time I tapered? 

Ive always had very delayed withdrawals.. 

The waves and windows, ups nd downs, are part of withdrawal, even after you're months beyond zero.  This explanation from Alto is helpful:

"Windows and waves occur in a stair-step pattern, with a general upwards trend.

After a year, a little better.

lurches.gif

Awful

Alto:  I've experienced waves. I'll have a window when I feel better, then a wave, which feels as bad as ever, except a little different. Over time, the windows have gotten more frequent and longer and the troughs not as deep, and shorter. So, on average, I've gotten slowly better. Kind of like 1 step forward and 5 steps back, then 2 steps forward and 5 steps back, then 3 steps forward and 4 steps back, then 2 steps forward and 3 steps back, then 3 steps forward and 3 steps back....uh, where was I?

Waves mean your nervous system is struggling to heal. It moves in the right direction for a bit then falls back a bit. This is normal. You can view the "better" part of the wave as when your nervous system is finding its balance. These periods will get longer and more frequent as time goes on.

Rather than damaged receptors, I've found it more accurate to visualize post-acute withdrawal syndrome as autonomic dysregulation. The effects are generalized and when the nervous system is under stress, symptoms can reappear -- and go away again, as is common with autonomic issues.

Our nervous systems are so complicated they repair themselves in patches. Some parts recover then the whole thing needs to re-balance again. Rinse and repeat."

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to dreamspirit: my journey - it sucks