SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PapaBear: Trying to withdraw from Paxil

PapaBear

• Moderator Emeritus

PB,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling as well as you'd like.  Prestorb has experience with the same pattern so a hold is certainly something to be considered.

I have done acupuncture for a while.  I think generally it improves my overall outlook in part because it does open up energy channels but also because acupuncture practitioners tend to be more caring and compassionate than western practitioners and I believe that the mind/body effect (placebo effect for the pejorative) is strong.  Some practitioners understand drug withdrawal and there are specific needle placements they use in that regard.  Others will just understand your desire for overall relaxation and muscle relaxation.  I would encourage you to try it.

From a "why does it happen" standpoint, to the extent your A/D helped with any level of anxiety and/or stress, the reversal of that in withdrawal naturally leads to greater tension which can manifest in the muscles.  While it is not as direct an effect as withdrawal from a benzo, it is not surprising.

Best to you,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PapaBear

• apace41

• quitpaxil2015

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Papa Bear,

You have been so supportive of me these past few days, I just want to tell you that I am sorry you are going through these problems. It is diffiicult to partition dosages in the best of circunstances, and so much worse when we have problems that make it worse - like your muscle issues. I, too, would think that by holding onto your current dose it may make it easier for you to go through the move.  It is especially hard to be upbeat and hopeful while going through withdrawal. My wish is that you don't "should" on yourself in terms of feeling bad for not participating in the happiness that your family is having with the move. They love you and will understand that this you are in the withdrawal soup - just don't make unrealistic expectations for yourself right now (someone just told me the same!)

Wishing you luck...

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Hi Prestorb, Andy and QP2015,

Many thanks for your encouraging words and advise!

I think it is really a good idea to remain on the current level for the rest of the year. There is no need to rush now and as you said, enjoying the holidays and the rest of the year, including the move, is more important than dealing with the problems a reduction might bring at the moment.

"Take your time" is probably the most important mantra I need to adher to during the whole tapering process.

As always it is really good to have you out there.

Cheers,

PB

P.S. I omitted the vitamin D for the last two days and at least my pain has subsided. I somewhere read that people with pale skin produce more amounts of vitamin D anyway, so maybe it was too much though I only took 1000 IE daily. Anyway I will leave it for the coming weeks.

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Hi PapaBear, I think your approach is very reasonable.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Best of luck to you!!

Hello Papa Bear,

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing.

I have to admit I laughed a little thinking about you falling out of your chair ( although I'm sure it wasn't funny).

Just wanted to say hello and offer my support,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi PB,

I am also just cheking in to see how you are doing...I am now learning the HOLD, HOLD, HOLD the dose lesson. I am in awe that you are now down to less than 5 mg! And this after having had to reinstate to 10 mg for awful symptoms. This gives me hope that I may stabilize at 10 mg!! In fact. thank you for the hope and encouragement!

How is the move coming?

Hi PB, so glad to hear that your pain seems to have subsided somewhat, yay! That is a positive, 1000 mg is actually a lot in WD. I think your plan to wait until after your move and the holidays is wise. Hopefully, your system will settle out over the next couple of months and you will feel well enough to enjoy the holidays. I don't know about enjoying moving though, I'm not sure that is possible!!  ;)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Many thanks tgirl, QP and Prestorb for checking in! It feels so good during wd when other persons are there to reach out to...

Since Monday my situation has improved a lot. Especially the muscle tension has subsided which feels so much better. Instead I am feeling a little bit tired and demotivated but I attribute tis more to the beginning of fall than to wd.

I still have pains, especially after exercising, but this extreme pressure in my calves and forearms is gone.

Maybe it was really a side-effect of the vitamin D?!

So I hope this window will stay for a while. Definitely I won't change anything until the end of this year.

I agree that moving is always very stressful but currently I also consider it as a little bit liberating. I had so many problems with anxiety, paroxetine, withdrawal and other issues here, that a new home might be a good place to start again - at least with regard to some parts of my life.

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

• Moderator Emeritus

PB,

Good to hear you are doing better!

Hope that continues for you.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I am also glad to hear you are doing better!

Hi,

I just discovered that breaking a 20mg tablet in 4 pieces is not a good idea if you want to have exactly 5mg. My scale eventually arrived and the crumbs that I weighed related to doses of in between 4 to 6 mg. So no wonder that this caused some problems.

I now prepared an exact dose of 4.95mg which is a reduction of 5% and took it this evening. I am curious if there is any effect?!

lol this describes what I've been doing up until my liquid paxil arrived yesterday :) and I also agree entirely with the horror movie comment etc, who needs extreme entertainment when you have it going on right there inside your own body!

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey PapaBear - 

The Paxil wringer, I swear, it must be one of the toughest ones.  When I was put on Paxil (I lasted maybe 2 weeks on it), the doc called it "baby Prozac," like it was a sweeter and more innocent, less harmful version of PapaProzac!  I'm glad I had a reaction and never got hooked!

I'm glad to see you got a window after your unrelenting muscular tension and sensations.  It's no wonder that many antidepressant users get "diagnosed" with "fibromyalgia" and then get prescribed MORE psych drugs for that!

Onward and downward!  (but steady and slow, as you have learned!)

My favorite helper with muscular pain and tension is magnesium oil.  This is magnesium chloride suspended in a sticky oil that you rub on your skin - especially at the tight areas (I think you mentioned calves?).  It has no odor, it can make the skin a little itchy, but you can wash it off after about 20 minutes (for maximum absorption).  You are in the USA - Vitacost.com has this under their brand label at affordable prices.  Your skin will only absorb the amount of magnesium that you can use.

I also love to take baths with magnesium chloride flakes - it's heavenly!  After a workout, it is the best way to prevent pain and energy crashes the precarious 2 days after a workout.

Are you exercising?  You may find that walking (the left-right action of walking is really good for the brain) or gentle, light weightlifting may help you with your symptoms.  Just be careful not to overdo, as it can throw you into a tailspin if you deplete your resources.  Withdrawal - rebuilding your brain - requires a lot of energy, and there may not be much left over for your normal activities.

Good to meet you Papa, I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi,

I could use your help, please. I noticed the last weeks that my pupils are different in size and while there were times when they where

equal to each other, now the difference has increased. Can this be wd related? It scares me a lot. I tried different light settings but it is independent from this. Also my wife noticed them now.

Many thanks,

PB

Ok I spent the morning in the ER with high level anxiety after being send there by my GP. The ran several tests which came back normal besides one part of the nerve conduction study where the signal to my feet was not really ok but also not bad. I should do an MRT now but the neurologist said that he doesn't expect anything from it. With regard to my eyes he just suggested that I probably had it from birth.

It was really scary for me though everybody was really, reall helpful and kind. The doctor even agreed with my plan to further taper paroxetine and suggested to try without in the long run.

The only negative outcome from this high-adrenaline morning was that my bp is miles too high - even if the fear factor is subtracted - and I need to take care of that.

So I will probably schedule an MRT soon and wilm update you then.

Cheers,

PB

• Moderator Emeritus

PB,

Sorry you had to deal with that added anxiety.  Getting it checked out was the right thing since there are several significant conditions that can cause anisocoria (uneven pupil size).   If the tests came out negative and the follow up does as well, you might have had it before (although I think you'd have noticed?) but, more likely in my view, this is a withdrawal reaction.  I know that it was something that I saw being discussed in benzo withdrawal by several people.  I think it has to do with the impact of the psych meds on the muscles in the eye that are the basis for the dilation/contraction of the pupil.

Continue getting the checkup done but, in my heart, I think its the drugs.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your post. I had read about anisocoria before, that is why I panicked so much. Besides a neurological ER is not the most relaxing environment :-)

In general I also think it is wd related as I can renember that, when taking paroxetine in the beginning and also during reinstating, my pupils in general were so large for a couple of days that it looked like I was on a dozen drugs and not on a SSRI. Thus wd could have an effect as well.

Anyway it was good to hear from you.

BR, PB

Hi papabear--  it's called "Paxil Eyes" and is very common.  My wife can always tell if I'm having a bad day with WD by how my eyes look.  It can be very disturbing at first, but it just looks strange and isn't dangerous. 

Going the other direction, very frequently my feet and brain don't talk to each other, and having "two left feet" in the first place makes it a lot of fun, it comes and goes as it pleases.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the hint, but did you also have differently dilated pupils during "Paxil Eyes"?

br,

Pb

Different dilations, one clear one unfocused, both unfocused, no one home in either.  Lots of different permutations.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Many thanks!!!!!

Hang in there, PB!

Many thanks QP. I hope you too!

Sometimes life really s... I think I have accepted the pupils issue but now I really worry about the high bp I had at the ER. I don't understand why it went so high there and whether I could have this always when I am stresses. Of course I was very scared being in the hospital.

Sometimes everything seems to be so difficult!

Sorry for my negative attitude today...

• Moderator Emeritus

now I really worry about the high bp I had at the ER. I don't understand why it went so high there and whether I could have this always when I am stresses. Of course I was very scared being in the hospital.

PB,

I would suggest you either get an at home BP monitor or go to your local CVS (or other drugstore) and take several readings each day for a couple of weeks to see what your "true" BP is.  What you get in the ER under stress can be way, way off.  It is normal for BP to rise under stress.  In fact, failure of it to do so would indicate problems.  At this point you should relax since you really know nothing about your "true" BP.  If you are concerned, find out what your baseline is so you can determine if you have anything to address.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your big support during the last weeks. This is highly appreciated.

Best,

PB

• Moderator Emeritus

My pleasure, PB. Hope you feel better.

I would seriously monitor the BP because (I) you need to know if you have an issue and (2) many people find out they are just fine outside of the ER or a doc's office (so-called "white coat" syndrome).

Best,

Andy

Hi PB, sorry for your troubles with high BP, that is very scary. It's crazy how SSRIs can affect so many different things, some for some people, some for others. It all seems very random, but they definitely seem to affect each person a little bit differently. I also recall noticing my pupils looking really weird at some point, but I was SO depressed (as opposed to your high anxiety) in severe WD that I guess I just ignored it as I ignored many things during that time. I hope you have gotten the high BP under control and are feeling better. Many of these wacky symptoms will just disappear in time so try not to let them freak you out too much. The high BP of course, you have to take care of, but some of the others will come and go and eventually just go for good. I could not find a single thing to be happy or positive about for 6+ months, so completely understand that negativity that can settle on us like a cloud in WD. Fortunately for you, it seems to come and go and not just move in with you! Glad to hear that your muscle aches seems to have been alleviated somewhat, that is good and positive news. Hang in there, you are doing great! :-)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Hi Prestorb,

thank you very much for your post. It was good to read it.

I bought the best BP monitor I could get and discovered that my BP is quite ok. Not perfect but still in the green area. I will continue measuring but in general I am relieved.

• Moderator Emeritus

I bought the best BP monitor I could get and discovered that my BP is quite ok. Not perfect but still in the green area. I will continue measuring but in general I am relieved.

Well, fancy that, PB.  LOL.  That is very, very common.  People get stressed out when they see the doc (especially the ER) and wind up on BP meds for no good reason!  That's why they call it "white coat syndrome."  Glad you checked it out and you are fine.  By the way, the American Association of Cardiologists just relaxed the standards for "normal" BP and, properly, indicated that as we age the upper number is okay to increase a little.  You sound like you are fine.  The only thing that will give you a BP problem is the stress of worrying about your BP!  :o

Best,

Andy

I am so glad to hear that your BP is in the green zone! I am glad that this has given you some relief.

I hope you continue to stabilize. It is amazing what these drugs can do to us.

Keeping you in my prayers.

QP

Thank you very much both of you.

I will keeping you in my prayers as well.

PB

Hi PapaBear,

Thanks for dropping by my thread.  I'm glad you get a bit of a " smile on your dial" , when you visit.   :)  

I agree with  J.C.  The magnesium oil is really good , if you haven't tried it.  Also the " epsom salts" baths.  I'm glad your B.P. is fine . As Pre said , everything goes  

" wacky" in withdrawal ! 

Wishing you continued healing .

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 1 month later...

Hi,

just want to provide some update after moving which I more or less survived but I can't say that it was fun.

My pupil dilation issue (anisocoria) has stabilized in a sense and in most situations the size is equal to each other. Sometimes I have the feeling that it is now stress related but that is difficult to assess, mainly because during wd there are simply too many and too different stress situations. Anyway I am glad that the "paxil eyes" phase has ended for now :-)

On the other side the feeling of numbness in my arms, hands and partially legs and feet has returned the last days after there was a steep drop in temperature outside. I wonder whether there is some correlation as weather changes in general seem to have a big effect on my mood and well-being.

I am also struggling with health anxiety at the moment but this is always accompanying me when I experience strange body feelings like this numbness, tingling or pins and needles.

Not a really positive post but hey I am sure there will be a window sooner or later.

I plan to stick to my current dose for the next month as I don't want to ruin my vacation over christmas.

I wish you all the best!

Cheers, PB

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating PB,

Moving house is pretty close to the top of the list of stressful life events, so I'm glad to hear you survived. A small uptick in symptoms after such stress might be expected, I'm sure they will settle down again soon.

I agree that holding at your current dose for a while is a good idea. When the holidays are over and your symptoms have settled down, then you could continue tapering.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petunia as always for your support and interest!

I am in a desparate state at the moment as currently every tiny bit of stress, or even a negative thought only, has such a big impact on me, respectively on my body.

As soon as I face a little problem at work for instance it kind of feels horrible. My muscles tense, I get goose bumps and chills and some kind of tinnitus.

I really don't understand what is happening here.

I usually cycle to work, which takes 30min, have a shower there and feel really good after that. Currently however this effect vanishes as soon as I encounter something a little bit more problematic.

In the evening I take another route home which takes me 60-90min and again afterwards I am feeling good. The next day it starts over.

Is this somehow cortisol related or is it "neuro-emotion"?

Many thanks,

PB

Hi PapaBear,

I'm sorry that you're struggling. I'm sure moving didn't help . It can be stressful even without the complication of drug withdrawal.

Everything gets amplified in withdrawal ,as the autonomic nervous system tries to readjust to some sort of homeostasis. It's trying to compensate for the lack of the drug, so it " over - corrects", so to speak. So that what in the past, might have been a small stress , becomes huge , and emotions that were previously manageable , become inflated and much more difficult to manage. It's hard to say exactly which is which (  cortisol or neuro - emotion )  Sometimes, it can be a combination of both in my opinion , but the end result is the same. However, it will improve over time.  I'm sure you have read these links, but it might help to reread them .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

I hope this helps .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014