Can understanding traumatic brain injury help with healing?

Vonnegutjunky

I remember in grad school easing about traumatic brain injuries - I went to mayo clinic and started reading about cognitive issues and central nervous system symptoms associated with brain injury from trauma and drug use ( long term opioid) just wondering if we used some of their treatments during wd or after? I am convinced I have some damage to areas of my brain - thanks for anyone who knows more about medical tings than me who might be able to weigh in on this possibility

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Sorry - I forgot to post the paper I found related to this topic- of course I read through it and understood about half of it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3941/

Maybe someone could read it and see if it's helpful to us?

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

Blank.pdf

Also I have looked online at treatments that help with brain repair like amino acids

http://maccollaborations.org/2012/12/amino-acid-supplements-could-repair-brain-injury/

Just looking for ideas to help us- not that others probably haven't thought about this already - of course I'm probably grasping at straws but it's keeping my mind off of how crappy I feel right now :)

Blank.pdf

I barely scanned the article, but my dad had a serious TBI most affecting his left frontal area. Some areas I can think of as overlap are the role of exercise (walking), structured lifestyle, plenty of rest, and good nutrition. They would not use any psychotropic drugs for the first two years, saying they slowed healing. I know the article is more high-tech, but that is what I remember. I believe omega-3's are used now as well.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I looked at omega 3s and still can't figure out how much to take! I'm taking 360 epa and 240 dha - some of the studies show 1200 epa!!! I'd have to take 6 horse pils a days to get to that!!

Blank.pdf

Ok I looked at altos post 2000-3000mg for omega 3 plus Vit e to metabolize it! That's 8 horse pills for me :) I will increase them slowly :)

Blank.pdf

I remember in grad school easing about traumatic brain injuries - I went to mayo clinic and started reading about cognitive issues and central nervous system symptoms associated with brain injury from trauma and drug use ( long term opioid) just wondering if we used some of their treatments during wd or after? I am convinced I have some damage to areas of my brain - thanks for anyone who knows more about medical tings than me who might be able to weigh in on this possibility

I literally the same though as you did - Look to TBI for how to cope with the damage we have experienced.  I know for certain that my prefrotnal cortex has been damaged - all  my symptoms are nearly identical to the clinical symptoms as someone who has had a prefrontal lobotomy.  That should say something right there.

Have you read some of the important books on the subject of psych meds, such as Anatomy of an Epidemic, Mad in America, etc?  Those two books right there should be required reading for anyone that comes to this forum.  You'll learn so much, I guarantee it.

I've posted in some other places on this website that I think these drugs cause a form of reversable neuropathy.  I don't have any evidence to back up my claim, other than suppositions by David Healy in some of his lectures.  I have no idea how these drugs can cause neuropathies, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but maybe neurons are just very sensitive to having too much seriotonin in the synapse.

I tend to treat my "brain injury" with as much exercise as possible, a good diet, and time. And of course no medications or drugs of any kind what so ever.  Literally nothing else I have found to help.  I've been getting all my omega 3's from fresh caught mountain trout that I tend to eat throughout the week.  Can't really beat getting fresh caught trout and bass.  One of the best parts of living in the mountains.  One of the few things I can do these days, I should add.  I can hike through the forest and fish, and that's it.  too bad I can't get paid for fishing. 

• Administrator

Use search in the Symptoms forum about supplements, etc. I think we've probably discussed everything that might be used to treat TBI.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 5 years later...

See:

how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain - especially see blue text in Post #1

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

what-is-happening-in-your-brain

convinced i have a brain injury and i only took one 50mg tablet of sertraline, that was in march 2019. how is it possible that im still disabled from a single dose after that long? ive lost my memories, my intelligence, all my emotions are non-existent, cant think clearly as cognitive function went out the window making basic tasks such as learning or reading impossible because i can't concentrate. dunno why i'm still bothering to fight this, i'm an empty shell compared to my former self and nothing has any meaning when you're so numb. i'm useless now my heart goes out to those of you who've dealt with this nightmare on a daily basis for alot longer than i have and still find motivation to live your lives.

Edited by ChessieCat
added links

I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't have the answer to your question but I hope you heal in time. Don't lose hope. 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm also looking for answers on this. The studies I'm finding online talk about how Sertraline/Zoloft affects the neurotransmitters in the brain but I'm not a medical student/doctor so I don't understand the long term impact of this on cognitive. I was on Sertraline for 5 years and have been off since August 2020. I feel like I've got mild brain injury from it, and my ADHD has certainly become more severe. 

Jan 2020-now - Tranexamic acid and 800mg ibuprofen for heavy periods

2015-2020 - Sertraline (Zoloft) - started at 25mg, went up to 200mg, tapered back down to 75mg, off in August 2020 (don't recall dates)

2015-now - Ritalin on and off as needed

2015 for 6 months - (before Sertraline) a month on Lithium, list of others I can't recall, Quetiapine (period of psych trying me on different drugs to see what would 'work')

Supplements: Probiotics | Magnesium + zinc + B6 | Hemp seed oil (omega-3) | Ferrograd (iron) + vitamin C | Collagen 

Intro topic: lostmysock: Sertraline 5 years, off since August 2020

• 4 months later...

Does anyone else actually feel physically their brain is damaged or sick?

I actually can physically feel that my brain is damaged or sick.

Does anyone else feel this?

Does this pass?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

• ChessieCat changed the title to Do SSRIs cause brain injury?
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 12/7/2021 at 2:45 PM, Lilmizz21 said:

Does anyone else actually feel physically their brain is damaged or sick?

I actually can physically feel that my brain is damaged or sick.

Does anyone else feel this?

Does this pass?

I actually feel that way, it feels like Pain in my forehead

Started Venlafaxine around  2007-2008  for around 4,5-5 years 70mg

ca .2012  Taper as doctors advise 2 weeks skip a day and stop

7 -8 later months total breakdown after sruggling a lot Hospitalized

and started on Cipralex.

Taper as doctors advise: Mai 2018  from 20 to 10 mg escitalopram to zero in one Month.

supplements

Magnesium citrate 600 mg

Omega 3  2000 mg

vitamin D3 sometimes

• Moderator Emeritus

I have added the following links to Post #1:

how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain - especially see blue text in Post #1

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

what-is-happening-in-your-brain

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 9 months later...

Can someone help me with one of my worst fear of SSRI having permanently alter my brains functioning?

i’m getting scared for this day by day.

2014-2020 Haloperidol
2017-2021 Zoloft
2018-2021 Issues zoloft so i decreased on both Haloperidol

November 2020 Taper down Haloperidol(barely any issues)
March 2021 taper down from zoloft(alot of issues)
Zoloft taperdown from march till late june
25mg was my dosage, may 10mg(from 10 too 5 was hard), 5mg in end of june every lowar dosage gave me alot of issues. clean in end of june.

me too

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• Moderator Emeritus

From a post made by Shep (admin):

Our brains are very neuroplastic. See:

Neuroplasticity video (2 minutes)

Healing from antidepressants. How to speed up the recovery process video (5 minutes)

While it can take a long time for this type of damage to heal, there are many ways of calming the nervous system and healthy and healing activities that can help the process along. See: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Art, music, gentle stretching or yoga, journaling, walks in the sun, a healthy diet with plenty of water, etc. can help heal the brain and nervous system from hypersensitivity and kindling. And these are the skills, activities, and lifestyle that will keep you from feeling the need to reach for a drug to handle life after you're off these drugs. 

Healing takes time, but it does happen. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Think of healing......imagine it.  Don't spend too much time in the online trenches of suffering.

Here's a good article on Acute and Persistent WD Syndromes from some of the different classes of medications. 

https://www.karger.com/Article/Fulltext/506868

and I don't know.......maybe just read the introduction, as they mention "reversible" a lot.  They don't mention numbers, and so don't assume you will be one of the hardest hit.

I don't know about you, but persistent or protracted WD sure is a bit lighter(in sound and understanding) than PERMANENT BRAIN ALTERATIONS.

Not all your drugs have been AD's.

I may still have some iatrogenic harms from my psychiatric career, yet they are always improving.  I no longer feel like it's WD at all, at all times.....  It's just something I get to deal with and find new ways to alter old patterns.

Be well, imagine it.  Let us know of improvements.......they usually are there if you focus on looking for them.

Be well, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
additional, just language

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 months later...

Here is something on this topic that may be useful for some. It is a website called brainline.org and it is all about Traumatic Brain Injuries. Though withdrawal is not the same as something like a concussion or a stroke, it is a form of injury to the brain and nervous system that the brain and body has to heal from. Many of the symptoms are similar so some of what is done to help heal from a TBI may be useful to some in withdrawal recovery. People with massive physical injuries to the brain do in fact recover every day. The brain and body are pretty amazing in their ability to heal themselves.

https://www.brainline.org/story/hidden-secret-brain-injury-hypothalamus-dysfunction

https://www.brainline.org/topic/symptoms

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 1 month later...

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Altostrata changed the title to Can understanding traumatic brain injury help with healing?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy