Could we look to TBI's to help with healing?

Vonnegutjunky

I remember in grad school easing about traumatic brain injuries - I went to mayo clinic and started reading about cognitive issues and central nervous system symptoms associated with brain injury from trauma and drug use ( long term opioid) just wondering if we used some of their treatments during wd or after? I am convinced I have some damage to areas of my brain - thanks for anyone who knows more about medical tings than me who might be able to weigh in on this possibility

*Currently at 3.3mg off my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) so I’m around 7.4 mg 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Sorry - I forgot to post the paper I found related to this topic- of course I read through it and understood about half of it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3941/

Maybe someone could read it and see if it's helpful to us?

*Currently at 3.3mg off my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) so I’m around 7.4 mg 

Blank.pdf

Also I have looked online at treatments that help with brain repair like amino acids

http://maccollaborations.org/2012/12/amino-acid-supplements-could-repair-brain-injury/

Just looking for ideas to help us- not that others probably haven't thought about this already - of course I'm probably grasping at straws but it's keeping my mind off of how crappy I feel right now :)

Blank.pdf

I barely scanned the article, but my dad had a serious TBI most affecting his left frontal area. Some areas I can think of as overlap are the role of exercise (walking), structured lifestyle, plenty of rest, and good nutrition. They would not use any psychotropic drugs for the first two years, saying they slowed healing. I know the article is more high-tech, but that is what I remember. I believe omega-3's are used now as well.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I looked at omega 3s and still can't figure out how much to take! I'm taking 360 epa and 240 dha - some of the studies show 1200 epa!!! I'd have to take 6 horse pils a days to get to that!!

Blank.pdf

Ok I looked at altos post 2000-3000mg for omega 3 plus Vit e to metabolize it! That's 8 horse pills for me :) I will increase them slowly :)

Blank.pdf

I remember in grad school easing about traumatic brain injuries - I went to mayo clinic and started reading about cognitive issues and central nervous system symptoms associated with brain injury from trauma and drug use ( long term opioid) just wondering if we used some of their treatments during wd or after? I am convinced I have some damage to areas of my brain - thanks for anyone who knows more about medical tings than me who might be able to weigh in on this possibility

I literally the same though as you did - Look to TBI for how to cope with the damage we have experienced.  I know for certain that my prefrotnal cortex has been damaged - all  my symptoms are nearly identical to the clinical symptoms as someone who has had a prefrontal lobotomy.  That should say something right there.

Have you read some of the important books on the subject of psych meds, such as Anatomy of an Epidemic, Mad in America, etc?  Those two books right there should be required reading for anyone that comes to this forum.  You'll learn so much, I guarantee it.

I've posted in some other places on this website that I think these drugs cause a form of reversable neuropathy.  I don't have any evidence to back up my claim, other than suppositions by David Healy in some of his lectures.  I have no idea how these drugs can cause neuropathies, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but maybe neurons are just very sensitive to having too much seriotonin in the synapse.

I tend to treat my "brain injury" with as much exercise as possible, a good diet, and time. And of course no medications or drugs of any kind what so ever.  Literally nothing else I have found to help.  I've been getting all my omega 3's from fresh caught mountain trout that I tend to eat throughout the week.  Can't really beat getting fresh caught trout and bass.  One of the best parts of living in the mountains.  One of the few things I can do these days, I should add.  I can hike through the forest and fish, and that's it.  too bad I can't get paid for fishing. 

• Administrator

Use search in the Symptoms forum about supplements, etc. I think we've probably discussed everything that might be used to treat TBI.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy