andy013: 4 years off and counting...

andy013

But dont kill yourself til you try EVERYTHING.

That's the plan. Actually, I don't even plan to kill myself but it's just that if things go wrong with an SSRI I can't imagine myself living for very long.

I have tried a few things but in general after my bad reaction to vitamin D I tried to avoid all supplements because I felt they were only making me worse. It is only more recently I have been willing to try things as I no longer believe I will recover on my own so I figure I have nothing to lose. I have tried trypophan, 5-htp, vitamin D, omega 3. I will probably try them again to make absolutely sure I get no benefits from them. I also have some magnesium I was going to try and take for a while.

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...

• Moderator Emeritus

Brassmonkey, there are other reasons people commit suicide other than depression. I wouldn't tell a terminally ill person to phone the good samaritans because they want to kill themselves. Talking to someone face to face will not do anything to help my situation. I have brain damage.

Something that is really crazy is that around 18 months off of the drugs I took a very high dose of vitamin D. It triggered a very negative reaction. I got an extremely bad fever. I was literally sitting in a bath of ice water. I also had diarrhoea and nausea and just felt very bad. I think it may have been serotonin syndrome. After a week the fever began to go down but then I started to feel very depressed. This depression lasted for about a month, I just felt terrible. However, after that month the depression began to go away and I slowly noticed myself feeling better and better. For the next 2 weeks I basically felt completely normal. My sex drive was normal. My social function was normal. I was smiling and laughing and friendly. This made me certain that these problems were 100% real and caused by something being messed up in my brain. 

Andy, if you had a period of two weeks where you were 100% normal then you do not have brain damage.   You have a significantly disrupted nervous system and anything that adds pressure to that nervous system, like catastrophising about your situation, will negatively impact your recovery.

Managing how you deal with your health situation so as to not entertain suicidal thoughts is the job of suicide helplines and face to face support agencies.  As BrassMonkey indicates, we are not equipped to deal with that and anyone that suggests that suicide is an option they are considering will be responded to in the same way.  

Expressing a possible suicide intent on a forum not equipped to deal with it is not helpful for you and its detrimental to the community.   Saying you are experiencing suicidal ideation as a symptom of your withdrawal is very different to saying you are contemplating suicide as a solution to your withdrawal.   Moderators will always intervene and direct you to face to face support at this point.

I believe you have the capacity to heal because you showed that in those two weeks.  I also believe that you can and need to do that through non-drug means.   Healing is about finding 100 little things that soothe your system and support healing.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

LoveandLight, I am from Scotland as well, just outside Glasgow.

I felt the same way in the early periods of withdrawal. I often thought, who cares about my social problems because I feel terrible anyway. I also feel that way about PSSD. It doesn't bother me as much as others because I can't interact with people anyway so sex is out of the question.

Studying from home would maybe be an option. Part of the problem is I feel I would need to stop going to work entirely in order to feel stable enough to do other things. I don't think my parents would like that very much. I work weekends and often I spend the first 3 days of the week just recovering from the depression and other symptoms caused by the social situation. Also the fatigue can make it difficult to do anything so I don't really feel confident that I would be able to successfully study from home.

Part of me feels a bit down about the whole situation though. I sort of feel like isn't it worth trying an SSRI to get a chance at a normal social life rather than living my life as some weird hermit?

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

• Moderator Emeritus

My experience of trying reinstatement after being 3 years off SSRIs was horrendous. I didn't know anything about withdrawal at the time and thought I needed to be on something.

First I tried Prozac and started to experience extreme restlessness, anger and rage. I was having homicidal ideation, nothing like anything I'd ever experienced before. I stopped that and then about a month later I tried reinstating with Lexapro, which was the drug I had previously taken. Within 3 days I was having thoughts which were urging me to to end my life, they were basically explaining to me why I had to do it, this wasn't me wanting to end my life, this was like something from outside of myself was trying to take control of me. I'm so glad I realized it was the drug reinstatement causing this.

A few weeks later I tried reinstating ADHD meds, which also made me feel worse and brought back symptoms which had already disappeared. 

Trying reinstatement for me, after being off 3 years didn't work, made me worse, brought back symptoms which had gone, and they stayed back. I think it probably set my recovery back about a year, I wish I hadn't tried it.

Some people take a long time to recover, stress, unhealthy diet and lifestyle, jumping around trying various drugs and supplements and not taking care of yourself can all make things worse and possibly add to the length of the recovery process.

I've also never been particularly comfortable in social situations, before drugs, but since being in withdrawal its become almost impossible, even with my own family members. At my worst I was needing 2 days to recover from a short visit from my mum. But its getting better with time and patience. I spent yesterday afternoon at my parents house and felt fairly comfortable the whole time, I got a bit tired, but it was a huge improvement on how I was about a year ago.

My advice, which comes from my own experience is don't add toxic substances (drugs) or high doses of stimulating supplements to a nervous system destabilized by withdrawal. Minimize situations and activities which increase stress, accept that its going to take as long as it takes, focus on the positive, be grateful for the symptoms which have gone or improved, notice that recovery is happening and trust your own body in its healing process.

As a moderator here I would just like to reiterate what brassmonkey requested:

Andy013 and NoMeaning25-- It is impossible for us to offer any constructive advise if we can't see what your background is.  The moderation staff does not have the time to dig back trough all your scattered posts to try and determine what drugs you took and when and how you came off of them.  All of this information is very important to determining how you should proceed.  If you won't help us, we can't hep you.  Please fill out a signature block;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Not only is it hard for staff to offer relevant and accurate advice, no one is able to know and understand your history and situation and so any comments, suggestions or responses are based on only the partial information you provide in that one post. This not only puts you in the position of receiving advice which may in fact be harmful, if you follow it, but it can also present a misleading picture of your real situation to anyone who reads your post. This often causes unnecessary fear and discouragement.

Please maintain an up to date signature with a summary of your drug and tapering history, and use your intro/update topic, for updates, questions and discussion about your own personal situation.

...and what Dalsaan wrote here:

Expressing a possible suicide intent on a forum not equipped to deal with it is not helpful for you and its detrimental to the community.   Saying you are experiencing suicidal ideation as a symptom of your withdrawal is very different to saying you are contemplating suicide as a solution to your withdrawal.   Moderators will always intervene and direct you to face to face support at this point.

A lot of time and consideration has gone into developing the rules and guidelines for this site, so that it can be a safe and helpful resource for all members wishing to safely come off medications or find support for recovery from withdrawal.

Please help us to help you, and if you haven't already done so, read through this topic, especially the posts pinned at the top: Read This First

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

andy, I joined your new posts to your Intro topic. Your Intro topic is the place for those "what should I do?" questions because we invariably need the context that your Intro topic (plus your signature) might provide.

Some time back you took an overdose of vitamin D that made you ill. Then as the blood levels got lower, you felt better. Have you ever tried taking a reasonable dose of vitamin D? Low vitamin D is common in your part of the world.

The best way to take vitamin D is to get vitamin D3 in a liquid form and take it by drops. This gets right into your body, bypassing any digestive issues. (Coincidentally, I was just researching vitamin D for myself.) You might try starting with 400IU per day and, barring any adverse reactions, work up to taking 2,000IU per day. See if it helps. It's a very important vitamin.

As to what drug for you to take now, we can't tell you that. If you want to try one, your guess is as good as anyone's. You may have seen our warnings about taking drugs when you have a sensitized nervous system -- try a very, very small dose first to see how it affects you.

We cannot predict if this will work or not. The decision is up to you. Good luck.

If you are feeling suicidal, phone a suicide hotline in your area rather than posting on this site. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best method for taking a low dose?

I'm not sure if it will be possible for me to get a liquid drug. The last time I just had little tiny 10mg tablets. I guess I would need to crush them and weigh out the right dose.

Yes loads of info in tapering section..weigh, or make into liquid

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hi Andy013,

I just read through your post and sorry to hear that you are still feeling bad after 4 years out.

I can completely relate to some of the wd symptoms.

I have experienced pins and needles in the head, burning at the back of my head, pressure in the temples.

Stiffness of the neck, pressing down feeling.

Anxiety triggers by situations and recently thoughts bring on a wd symptoms.

It almost feels like someone is pushing through a thin barrier of stability.

Like pushing through a thin membrane. That is the only way to describe it.

Doctors don't believe me that I am experiencing sensitivity to supplements as a result of ad's.

Low in vitamin d, iron .

Can't take anything. Can't use aroma roll ons etc.

Burning and tingling in the head. Arms etc.

So I can relate to everything that you have mentioned.

I must have experienced seratonin syndrome from Inositol powder, like you did from vitamin d.

Not long after I took inositol 2 servings on that day, I experienced flu like symptoms. Muscle stiffness, temperature, could hardly walk.

The next day I was fine.

It is hard to know what is what.

Wd symptoms or reaction to things.

Don't loose hope Andy!

You have come so far. Don't reinstate SSRI.

Hang in there anf you will heal.

It angers me to see how many young people get prescribed SSRI's.

You are still young.

Maybe seek help for social anxiety through

talk therapy.

Even though this is the condition induced by SSRI'S, in your case.

Since being on ad's I have de

experienced weird anxiety triggers.

Things that I did not have before .

Hang in there, you will get better.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy - I came to see how you were going - and the first thing I check, your signature.

I realize that even though I've made some notes based on what you said, I have no idea who you are, what you are taking, and how that fits with your situation.  I know it seems like the mods harp on this, but we're really quite useless without your signature!  Now I have to go back and re-read to see if I can make sense of what you are or are not taking, or whether you are tapering, and when, etc. And I am a slow reader!

It is my understanding that P-Progress was also strict about this.

So - I just have my notes to go by - I saved a class action lawsuit for Celexa, even though I cannot find reference to any specific drug (without in depth re-reading) - but it seems I wrote that down because I thought you have a clear pointer to one drug starting your problem.  Maybe I'm wrong, I'm shooting in the dark here:  http://www.nationalinjuryhelp.com/defective-drugs/celexa/

And I was also concerned about magnesium.  You will need to get your magnesium levels up before you can take vitamin D.  Likely, both are depleted.  When a nutrient or hormone (Vit D is really a hormone) is depleted, and you take it - your body goes wacky trying to take it in.  This is why severely depleted people have strong reactions to them.

That's why it is important to get the cascade properly.  Magnesium first, then Vitamin D.  And you need to start low and gradually increase to prevent strong reactions.

Here's my notes:

Reading your thread makes me wonder - when you take vitamin D and fish oil - are you also taking magnesium?  Magnesium and D are co-factors (as is calcium, but don't take magnesium and calcium at the same time, they cancel each other out), and sometimes you need to build up you magnesium in order to effectively use Vitamin D.

Additionally, some people react to Magnesium, so it is vitally important to start very low, and build up.   If you are deficient in magnesium (likely) you are more likely to get a reaction to it until you gradually fill the deficit.

See  Magnesium

I hope you are feeling better.  Please keep us posted on your progress, and please, help us with your signature line?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy, like JC i too was wondering how you were doing.

What did u decide to do back in sept.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 months later...

Hey, sorry I didn't update this thread for a while. I never noticed the newer replies. I did not take any drugs yet. I decided to wait a while and continue experimenting with vitamin D to see if I could somehow use it to feel a bit better. After trying many things (including using a vitamin D lamp) it seems like the benefits that I did get from vitamin D are not going to be easy to maintain.

I am pretty close now to finally making the decision to reinstate. I don't really see any other options. I am almost 5 years off a drug that I took for 5 months and I still have long term symptoms that have not improved for many years. It does not make sense for me to continue to live like this. I think I got really unlucky because it seems that most other people can function normally by this point, even if they still have some problems. I don't have any hope that the symptoms I continue to experience will improve significantly in the future. This is my only chance at being able to live a normal life so I need to go for it.

Andy I am sorry for your suffering - I am 34 months off Zoloft and still suffering tremendously from side effects - one that bothers me a lot is distorted vision...pins and needles in my head and face, pressure in my head and across the bridge of my nose. Always feel my ears blocked which they are not. I started taking Vitamin D 3 weeks ago due to vitamin D deficiency ll.5 ...Canadian testing....so it is very low - I always thought Vitamin D made me sick but I am wondering if it was just my imagination..cause I have so many symptoms and get worried that I may develop more symptoms by taking Vitamin D.

Did you ever have blurred or distorted vision.....

You are in my thoughts and prayers as everyone here is - no one should be allowed to suffer this much.....no one.

Love

Lee (f)

xxxxx

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

• 8 months later...

I wanted to post an update here and some info on my experience with Vitamin D as it might be helpful to others.

For my entire time in withdrawal I have had problems socializing with others as well as other long lasting symptoms like sexual problems. The only thing that has had any effect on these symptoms is vitamin D, however my situation is a bit complicated. At first the benefits I got were very powerful but it was hard for me to reproduce them even after taking vitamin D again. I also noticed that sometimes I would get significant increases in anxiety after taking vitamin D. After a lot of experimentation I have figured out that I need to take sulfur containing vegetables (mainly, broccoli and spring onion) in large quantities in order to maintain the positive effects of the vitamin D. I don't know if it's the sulfur exactly, that is just my guess after trying and excluding many other supplements and foods.

The reason why my situation is complicated is because I also experience symptoms of hypercalcemia (bone pain, increased thirst) when taking vitamin D. I believe I have hyperparathyroidism or some other condition that is causing this, but I haven't had it diagnosed. This might also be the reason why I get the improvements to my symptoms, I don't know.

I think the mechanism behind the benefits I get is vitamin D raising serotonin. There have been a couple of studies that have shown that vitamin D increases expression of tryptophan hydroxylase in the brain. This is the rate limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin. So, more vitamin D = more serotonin. However, as I said it is also possible that the only reason I am getting these effects is because I have some other condition that is raising my active vitamin D levels above normal. In an otherwise healthy person they might get no effect from vitamin D because it is stored as an inactive form.

I really don't know if these effects I get would ever work for anyone else. I also don't know if I managed to get the other condition treated if I would even still get the effects myself. Perhaps it was just a fluke that I happened to have these 2 interacting health problems at the same time.

I did find a case report in a medical journal that mentioned a women who experienced mania along with hypercalcemia. It is possible that the effects I am experiencing are via the same mechanism as her. I have noticed that if I take too much vitamin D then I start to feel like my mind is racing very fast, I become hyper sexual and can't stop thinking about sex (this is a massive difference from the low sex drive and sexual dysfunction I normally experience when off of vitamin D) and I can also feel like I am burning up quite a lot. Again it might just be a coincidence that this hypomania I experience happens to compensate for the lasting damage caused by the SSRI.

The social benefits I get are also significant. It's such a strange feeling. For my entire time in withdrawal I have been socially withdrawn and unable to do much about it. When I get the effects from vitamin D it's like someone has turned on a switch and I start to smile and joke around with people and start conversations. Unfortunately it doesn't cure me 100% in this regard but it is still a substantial difference.

As substantial as the effects are, they don't cure me and I still have significant problems. I also think that it is not really a viable long term solution for me because of the bone pain and increased thirst. I would no doubt have to get that treated and I don't even know if the benefits would remain afterwards.

I think an interesting experiment would be for people who have long term withdrawal problems to take calcitriol. That is the active form of vitamin D and it is possible that it could raise serotonin and help to alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms like PSSD. However this would also result in some level of hypercalcemia so you would probably want to only use it occasionally. Even it it worked it might induce hypomania like I experience on some level so I don't know how viable it would be.

Earlier in this thread I spoke about reinstating and for the past year I have been experimenting with vitamin D and trying to get and maintain some of the benefits to see if they would ever be a long term solution for me. Since I have came to the conclusion that they are not a long term solution and they wouldn't allow me to return to work or have a normal social life I see no other options left for me but to try and reinstate citalopram at a low dose to see if it would help me become functional. For the last 5 and half years I been completely disabled by these withdrawal symptoms and I have no hope that there will be any improvements beyond this point. I consider myself to be permanently damaged by these drugs. It is very obvious that my brain has problems regulating serotonin because of all the symptoms I experience and it is impossible for me to live a normal life.

I am extremely scared of these drugs. In general I am doing better than i did in the first several years off of them. I know how dangerous they are and how bad it can be. However it is the only thing I think has a real chance of helping me to restore normal function. It is a huge risk but I need to try everything I can to restore my health. I don't see much point in continuing to live my life as I do now without any hope of improvement.

I will probably post again before starting the drugs. I will wait till after Christmas and into next year before starting.

Sure i've asked you this before, but what symptoms do you still experience at this far off?

Thinking of reinstating also at 4.5 years off...

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Hi Andy

Just been reading your thread about Vit D - very interesting.

I know you won't have reached your decision to reinstate easily. I noticed that from your signature you did try reinstating before a long time ago. It seems like you might have suffered a bad reaction to this then?

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi NoMeaning25, the worst symptoms I have are to do with socializing. Ever since early withdrawal I noticed in social situations I acted very withdrawn and felt foggy headed and distant. I also noticed that I get significantly worse symptoms after being in a social situation for several hours. For example if I go to my work for 5 hours when I come home I will feel some of these effects mildly and they will increase over the next 5-6 hours. The symptoms are, my mood decreases substantially (feeling apathetic and depressed), I become even more withdrawn and foggy headed (I act very passive and withdrawn, I have even had people say to me that it is weird how quite I am, like they thought I had autism), I have problems focusing/concentrating, my sex drive decreases, my body temperature decreases, my appetite decreases and I just feel really sh*tty. It takes at least a day or two of staying away from most social environments in order for these symptoms to improve. If I keep going into social situations for consecutive days then these symptoms become significantly worse each day. It basically means I cannot do any normal activity that evolves socializing or being around others for very long (no career or full time job / education, no relationships, no friends etc.). Even after working for 2 days, 5 hours each, I feel like complete ****, just totally drained and I would dread going into another social situation because I know how much worse it makes me feel; not to mention that I act extremely distant and withdrawn when I am socializing anyway (not saying much, not smiling or making eye contact, just giving one world answers to people, acting like a robot).

I have read that socializing increases serotonin turn over (how much your brain uses). Perhaps I am running out of serotonin and it has this knock on effect, or perhaps too much is accumulating where it shouldn't. I have no idea, but the symptoms have been the same now for many years. I have just gotten used to feeling like **** every time I come home from social engagements.

I also have other problems, sexual function is reduced. I can sometimes feel fatigued or have problems focusing on things and concentrating for a length of time (I have to stop reading sometimes because I just can't focus for long enough to understand). I still get regular mouth ulcers (clusters of 3-4 at a time) which I only started to get when I took the citalopram for the first time.

I can also feel anxiety and anger on rarer occasions. The anger similar to that which i had in the early period of withdrawal only I don't feel the physical sensation in my brain anymore.

Also, I noticed that when I took vitamin D and got some of the benefits, one of them that I hadn't even realized before was energy levels. I felt like I had so much energy and at my work I got things done way faster than normal. My boss even noticed and commented on it.

It frustrates me how some of these symptoms seem vague or difficult for me to describe because it makes it easier for people outside of places like this to discount them and claim they are psychosomatic. I know they are real and the fact that the vitamin D causes such a huge effect in some of these areas just solidifies that.

Unfortunately the vitamin D doesn't cure me though and I still have the symptoms that come on after being in social situations. As I said in my previous post it doesn't look like I will be able to live a functional life even with these positive effects of vitamin D.

Flowers, you are right that I did try to reinstate after being off for 2 months, however I reinstated at the full dose right away and after 3 weeks I began to get suicidal thoughts (which I also had when I tried to increase to 20mg for a few days when i first started the drug). The suicidal thoughts were so scary that I thought it was safer to ride out the withdrawal. It is possible that if I tried a lower dose I may have been able to successfully reinstate without getting the suicidal thoughts, but I don't know.

I am extremely scared of these drugs for obvious reasons, but I cannot think of anything else to do. In the first few years it made sense for me to wait it out and see if things improved even though I was doing very badly. I read the success stories of people recovering and it gave me hope. I also noticed improvements in some of the physical symptoms and that made me think that perhaps eventually all the symptoms would resolve. However, at this point it has been 3 years without any significant improvement. I have lived completely disabled because of these symptoms for half of my adult life now. I do not believe that these symptoms will improve any further from this point on. So I have 2 choices, 1: just keep living this way for the rest of my life, 2: try and do something very risky that might allow me to live normally again.

If I could just have one day of being able to socialize with people normally again I think I would cry.

Hi Andy, I was reading your last posts, and I am sorry that your situation is still so complicated. I have also problems especially when there are a lot of people but I am 17 months off and I thought it will go away. It is hard to give you some advice as only you know how you feel - if your life is livable like this or not. If not and you dont expect any change whatsoever, then reinstate but be prepared that it can also end paradoxical that you will get again suicidal. If the situation is only a bit manageable I would not reinstate. I am a firm believer that the body can and will correct itself.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Administrator

Andy, don't worry about running out of serotonin, your body has lots of serotonin in it and is always making more.

Socializing is good for your nervous system, if you're around congenial people. You might seek counseling or therapy to learn new ways to socialize. Or, you can join interest groups (in the US, we have Meetup groups that can be found online) to do things like play sports, play games, go for walks, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't really worry about the mechanism behind the symptoms Alostrata, it's just my way of thinking about it. I will probably never know what is causing the problems.

By the way, what dose would you recommend I reinstate at? I was thinking of trying 0.5mg at first, but I'm not sure if that's too high.

I wonder if anyone else has reinstated after being off for this long.

Hi Andy, You say:

I am extremely scared of these drugs. In general I am doing better than i did in the first several years off of them. I know how dangerous they are and how bad it can be. However it is the only thing I think has a real chance of helping me to restore normal function. It is a huge risk but I need to try everything I can to restore my health. I don't see much point in continuing to live my life as I do now without any hope of improvement.

Whoa just back up a minute but you have said, In general I am doing better than i did in the first several years off of them.

That sounds like an improvement of sorts to me.

imo i would not reinstate.

if you have had some improvement in the past 5 yrs (your words not mine) then why not some more in the next 5.

Im now in yr 7 and i still feel like im improving and still feel like im waking out of a rip van winkle -like state.

Why not give it some more time.

At the end of the day its your choice.

Regards

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

One more thought

Are you

taking your omega 3s

eating nourishing foods and berries -strawberries, cranberries, blueberries (im off to pick my own at the orchard next week), blackberries, berry smoothies.

have you considered going gluten free for a month- i myself dont know about this but its just a thought maybe.

and last but not least what about exercise. Im not talking about a stroll around the block im talking a sweat producing effort which is why i like racquet sports and one in particular. Of course one has to work up to it. So keep up the exercise at whatever level you can is the idea imo.

What do you reckon ?

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...

So what's you're thinking Andy?

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 months later...

Andy what did you decide to do?

Recovering paxil addict

I think I am going to try and reinstate. It is a very hard decision but it seems to me that it is the only chance I have to be able to live a normal life. At close to 6 years off of an SSRI that I took for 5 months, it seems like the remaining symptoms are permanent. It's going to be really hard for me to go back to doctors and tell them that those drugs worked so that I can get a prescription for them again. I keep putting it off and making excuses but I need to do it eventually. I know that there are many people with permanent symptoms from these drugs. I also know that some people reinstate and it helps them, so there is at least a chance of something changing for me. Otherwise I need to live with these symptoms for the rest of my life and that makes no sense without at least trying to reinstate.

I'm sorry it has come to this point.

You dont know for sure these symptoms are forever.

I remind you of your ri back in june 2011 and what came of that. Do you want to risk that. Is your situation now worse than it was in june 2011 plus 3 weeks.

Its your decision of course.

Keep us posted.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Hi I'm 3 years c/t and there are many days that I think of going back to ADs but I think of the hell I might need to stop them again I could never go back to how I felt 2 years ago . I still have very bad days that last week's but I still can't put that pill in my mouth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Try and keep going. Why not set yourself some personal goals or plans. I guess it's easy just to look forward to recovery and nothing else. You will get better but set some other side argets away from recovery.

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2017 at 9:04 PM, andy013 said:

I think I am going to try and reinstate. It is a very hard decision but it seems to me that it is the only chance I have to be able to live a normal life. At close to 6 years off of an SSRI that I took for 5 months, it seems like the remaining symptoms are permanent. It's going to be really hard for me to go back to doctors and tell them that those drugs worked so that I can get a prescription for them again. I keep putting it off and making excuses but I need to do it eventually. I know that there are many people with permanent symptoms from these drugs. I also know that some people reinstate and it helps them, so there is at least a chance of something changing for me. Otherwise I need to live with these symptoms for the rest of my life and that makes no sense without at least trying to reinstate.

Have you reinstated?

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

No. I have developed some other health problems and I was hoping to get them diagnosed first before taking any other drugs. Unfortunately I have been on a waiting list to see a doctor for about 7 months so it is taking longer than I would like. If / when I reinstate I will update this topic.

• 1 month later...

I suffered from this 

On 12/25/2016 at 7:01 AM, andy013 said:

Hi NoMeaning25, the worst symptoms I have are to do with socializing. Ever since early withdrawal I noticed in social situations I acted very withdrawn and felt foggy headed and distant. I also noticed that I get significantly worse symptoms after being in a social situation for several hours. For example if I go to my work for 5 hours when I come home I will feel some of these effects mildly and they will increase over the next 5-6 hours. The symptoms are, my mood decreases substantially (feeling apathetic and depressed), I become even more withdrawn and foggy headed (I act very passive and withdrawn, I have even had people say to me that it is weird how quite I am, like they thought I had autism), I have problems focusing/concentrating, my sex drive decreases, my body temperature decreases, my appetite decreases and I just feel really sh*tty. It takes at least a day or two of staying away from most social environments in order for these symptoms to improve. If I keep going into social situations for consecutive days then these symptoms become significantly worse each day. It basically means I cannot do any normal activity that evolves socializing or being around others for very long (no career or full time job / education, no relationships, no friends etc.). Even after working for 2 days, 5 hours each, I feel like complete ****, just totally drained and I would dread going into another social situation because I know how much worse it makes me feel; not to mention that I act extremely distant and withdrawn when I am socializing anyway (not saying much, not smiling or making eye contact, just giving one world answers to people, acting like a robot).

I have read that socializing increases serotonin turn over (how much your brain uses). Perhaps I am running out of serotonin and it has this knock on effect, or perhaps too much is accumulating where it shouldn't. I have no idea, but the symptoms have been the same now for many years. I have just gotten used to feeling like **** every time I come home from social engagements.

I also have other problems, sexual function is reduced. I can sometimes feel fatigued or have problems focusing on things and concentrating for a length of time (I have to stop reading sometimes because I just can't focus for long enough to understand). I still get regular mouth ulcers (clusters of 3-4 at a time) which I only started to get when I took the citalopram for the first time.

I can also feel anxiety and anger on rarer occasions. The anger similar to that which i had in the early period of withdrawal only I don't feel the physical sensation in my brain anymore.

Also, I noticed that when I took vitamin D and got some of the benefits, one of them that I hadn't even realized before was energy levels. I felt like I had so much energy and at my work I got things done way faster than normal. My boss even noticed and commented on it.

It frustrates me how some of these symptoms seem vague or difficult for me to describe because it makes it easier for people outside of places like this to discount them and claim they are psychosomatic. I know they are real and the fact that the vitamin D causes such a huge effect in some of these areas just solidifies that.

Unfortunately the vitamin D doesn't cure me though and I still have the symptoms that come on after being in social situations. As I said in my previous post it doesn't look like I will be able to live a functional life even with these positive effects of vitamin D.

Flowers, you are right that I did try to reinstate after being off for 2 months, however I reinstated at the full dose right away and after 3 weeks I began to get suicidal thoughts (which I also had when I tried to increase to 20mg for a few days when i first started the drug). The suicidal thoughts were so scary that I thought it was safer to ride out the withdrawal. It is possible that if I tried a lower dose I may have been able to successfully reinstate without getting the suicidal thoughts, but I don't know.

I am extremely scared of these drugs for obvious reasons, but I cannot think of anything else to do. In the first few years it made sense for me to wait it out and see if things improved even though I was doing very badly. I read the success stories of people recovering and it gave me hope. I also noticed improvements in some of the physical symptoms and that made me think that perhaps eventually all the symptoms would resolve. However, at this point it has been 3 years without any significant improvement. I have lived completely disabled because of these symptoms for half of my adult life now. I do not believe that these symptoms will improve any further from this point on. So I have 2 choices, 1: just keep living this way for the rest of my life, 2: try and do something very risky that might allow me to live normally again.

If I could just have one day of being able to socialize with people normally again I think I would cry.

I suffered from this the first time I came off and fear I am going to be left with it this time. It all began when I was drinking too much alcohol at university- which led to me starting citalpram. I found that B vitamins helped- have you tried them?

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

I believe this is a deficiency of some sort, have you had blood work done?

I also felt almost better when i took chromium supplements, when i had a period of hypoglycemia, it balances blood sugar and stops the nervous system over reacting. try it

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I think I am going to try and reinstate soon. I had some health problems since the last update so I put off reinstating as I didn't want the added complication of not knowing which symptoms were from the SSRI and which weren't. I really don't feel like I have improved at all in the past 5 years to be honest. No one can accuse me of not waiting long enough since it is now 9 years since I stopped.

I didn't taper the citalopram at all the first time around so I don't really know what dosage I should start on. I have a graduated cylinder and I'm going to get some syringes. I was thinking of dissolving the 10mg pill in 100ml of water and then taking 1ml to start with (0.1mg) and then increasing by 0.1mg each month. Does this sound too slow? I want to start on a very low dose in case I get a bad reaction. Would love to hear from someone with more experience tapering.

• Moderator Emeritus

I glad that you know to start with a very low dose and also that you plan to wait for a good amount of time before increasing.

I will also the other mods for their assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Just my two cents, but given that nearly 90% of the serotonin in the body is made in the gut, I would do everything I can at this point to heal that and continue to support it over time. Whole foods, organic, mainly plant based diet... lots of bulking fiber,.. psyllium husk, chia seeds, flax seeds, slippery elm powder and lots and lots and LOTS of probiotic rich fermented foods such as saurkraut, kimchi, beet kvass, etc. Research the gut/brain connection. Research colon cleansing. Research how important the microbiome is to our gut, our serotonin levels, and our health. Also look into foods that help heal and support the liver. Raw apple cider vinegar, beets, dandilion, etc. At this point, I can't see reinstating something that did that much damage to your health as a good thing.

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

Also, check out my friend Heather's youtube channel. She's got some good videos on naturally healing/supporting your body to heal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelSongbird

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

@andy013,

Your profile states that the last time you took citalopram,  you became suicidal, having SI within 3 weeks. Is this true? If it is, I would definitely not recommend taking citalopram again. In addition, reinstating is extremely unlikely to work after 5 years off the medication. 

Is there any reason you may not have recovered? Any supplement or drug use? Any extenuating circumstances? Environmental toxins? 

Sorry it has been so long, Andy. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:02 PM, andy013 said:

Hey guys, I think I am going to try and reinstate soon. I had some health problems since the last update so I put off reinstating as I didn't want the added complication of not knowing which symptoms were from the SSRI and which weren't. I really don't feel like I have improved at all in the past 5 years to be honest. No one can accuse me of not waiting long enough since it is now 9 years since I stopped.

I didn't taper the citalopram at all the first time around so I don't really know what dosage I should start on. I have a graduated cylinder and I'm going to get some syringes. I was thinking of dissolving the 10mg pill in 100ml of water and then taking 1ml to start with (0.1mg) and then increasing by 0.1mg each month. Does this sound too slow? I want to start on a very low dose in case I get a bad reaction. Would love to hear from someone with more experience tapering.

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone.