SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TexasQueen: Hello

TexasQueen

Hi. I took Lexapro and then celexa for 10 years. I tried to quit a few times but the withdrawl was horrible. I did it this time! I weaned off over 6 weeks. I took my last 1/4 pill 3 weeks ago. The horrible anger seems to have subsided but I still have weepy spells. The worst is the anxiety. And the lack of concentration. I'm horribly impatient as well. Getting off this junk was so hard I want to really give it enough time to see if I can function without it. What I'm worried about is how long do I give it? It's hard. Really hard. But if I can get over this hump, I'd really like to be free of this stuff.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome TexasQueen, I'm glad you found us, thank you for posting an introduction.

Congratulations on getting off celexa, finally, but unfortunately, it sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right.

Over time, these drugs change your nervous system. Their effects on your nervous system change as well.  These changes are temporary, but the CNS does take quite a while to right itself after the drugs are out of the body.

See:   What is withdrawal syndrome?

You have been tapering too fast. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once someone has stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:   About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Most people are reluctant to go back on a drug, once they have managed to come off, but withdrawal symptoms can sometimes last a long time, often getting worse before they get better. Reinstatement of a partial dose is a way to reduce or eliminate unpleasant symptoms so that you can still function in your life. Once you are feeling better again, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is our Celexa tapering topic:

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you decide to reinstate, 10mg (1/4 pill) may be enough.  Please read through the information and let us know what you decide. We will be here to support you either way.

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide, or ask any questions you may have, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

The idea of putting that junk in my body again terrifies me. Getting off it is so hard. I tried to quit 3 times unsuccessfully and now on this fourth try I'm actually off the junk. My symptoms are getting less severe and the times where I feel bad are less frequent. I'm taking l-tryptophan, taurine, iodine, and progesterone cream that a pharmacist who now owns a health food store suggested. I really feel like going back on even a tiny dose of my citalopram would be a faiure.

The idea of putting that junk in my body again terrifies me. Getting off it is so hard. I tried to quit 3 times unsuccessfully and now on this fourth try I'm actually off the junk. My symptoms are getting less severe and the times where I feel bad are less frequent. I'm taking l-tryptophan, taurine, iodine, and progesterone cream that a pharmacist who now owns a health food store suggested. I really feel like going back on even a tiny dose of my citalopram would be a faiure.

Progesterone supplements are a terrible idea.  Why on earth would any pharmacist recommend that?  The fool took human physiology and knows that steroid hormone supplements cause adaptations that shut down normal production.  If your pharmacist recommends taking a hormone supplement, it's time to find a new pharmacist who is less interested in making $$$ by selling useless supplements, and more interested in helping you recover.  You're just going to shut down your natural progesterone production and make it impossible for your body to produce it in the future.  I'd taper off that stuff ASAP.

L-tryptophan gets destroyed by your stomach acid - so you're literally just throwing away $$ on that one - you'd be just as benefited if you consumed a small peice of chicken.   Taurine can be consumed in any energy drink and is very likely to cause dependence - so again, won't help you in the long run.

Why take iodine?  Do you ingest human food?  Most human food in the USA contains salt - salt in the USA is iodized - therefore, you don't need supplemental idodine unless you're developing a goiter. 

Life Pro Tip:  Health food stores are notorious for selling supplements that are completely useless and serve mostly to just take your $$$.  Don't believe the nonsense, my friend - stop taking those supplements.

On the other hand, this website recommends certain supplements such as magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, and multi vitamins - those are probably your best bet if you insist on taking supplements.

The sooner you realize there's not much you can put into your body that's going to accelerate the healing process, the sooner you'll be on a less bumpy road to recovery.

The only thing that's going to help you is a balanced diet, some weekly exercise, and TIME.

Good luck and get off that progesterone.

Love and hugs.

Progesterone supplements are a terrible idea.  Why on earth would any pharmacist recommend that?  The fool took human physiology and knows that steroid hormone supplements cause adaptations that shut down normal production.  If your pharmacist recommends taking a hormone supplement, it's time to find a new pharmacist who is less interested in making $$$ by selling useless supplements, and more interested in helping you recover.  You're just going to shut down your natural progesterone production and make it impossible for your body to produce it in the future.  I'd taper off that stuff ASAP.

L-tryptophan gets destroyed by your stomach acid - so you're literally just throwing away $$ on that one - you'd be just as benefited if you consumed a small peice of chicken.   Taurine can be consumed in any energy drink and is very likely to cause dependence - so again, won't help you in the long run.

Why take iodine?  Do you ingest human food?  Most human food in the USA contains salt - salt in the USA is iodized - therefore, you don't need supplemental idodine unless you're developing a goiter. 

Life Pro Tip:  Health food stores are notorious for selling supplements that are completely useless and serve mostly to just take your $$$.  Don't believe the nonsense, my friend - stop taking those supplements.

On the other hand, this website recommends certain supplements such as magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, and multi vitamins - those are probably your best bet if you insist on taking supplements.

The sooner you realize there's not much you can put into your body that's going to accelerate the healing process, the sooner you'll be on a less bumpy road to recovery.

The only thing that's going to help you is a balanced diet, some weekly exercise, and TIME.

Good luck and get off that progesterone.

Love and hugs.

I should caveat my post by saying these are all just suggestions, and you might wish to make the changes I suggest. 

Sometimes I can be a little too direct in my statements.  So please just take these as helpful suggestions.

I don't think the supplements can do any damage (other than the progesterone).  And even that probably won't do much.

Good luck and let us know how you progress over time.

• Administrator

Welcome, TexaQ.

No one wants to reinstate the drug. We don't like recommending it, but it is one way to reduce withdrawal symptoms, which can last for months or years. You'd stabilize on 10mg and then taper off more gradually -- Petunia gave you the relevant links to read.

Did the pharmacist give you reasons for taking each of those supplements? Does tryptophan make you sleepy?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Wow! Y'all are making already anxious me even more anxious. Think I might be better off going it on my own. Thanks for the help.