SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gray - What to do?

Gray

I am 4 months off a rapid withdrawal from 10mg Paxil..

I am in a horrible place, anxiety is ongoing,and sleep is history.  My husband has been diagnosed with CLL a form of leukemia..Which has obviously made things worse.

I have started Accupuncture, my doctor recommended I try as she felt I was deplete, and I find it helps but only for 24 hours at most. I'm going to follow through.as It's only been 3 sessions.

My brain is sooo sensitive.

I think I should reinstate, especially after reading all the info posted on here.

I know I should reinstate.Don't want to reinstate

Do I have to go back to Paxil?

Help

May 2014 5mg Paxil  to help with withdrawal from klonipin.

End of May 2014 increased to 10mg

June 2014 Klonipin free........withdrawal was slow.

October 2014 9mg Paxil

November 2014  8mg Paxil

December feeling good 7mg Paxil

January 2015 6mg not feeling so good

February 2015 5.4 mg Paxil feeling good no wave    March 2015 5 mg    April 2015  Husband ill forgot meds stopped.  May2015 felling pretty good    June 2015  last 2 weeks in June things started to change. Early morning anxiety 

July 2015 Sensitive to everything. Made some Magnesium lemonade...helps !

Anxiety lasts till lunch time then becomes easier ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gray,

Welcome to the site, sorry things have been so rough and you now have your husband's diagnoses to contend with - its obviously a very difficult time for you.

Reinstatement after 4 months is tricky - it can help or it can exacerbate how you are feeling and there is no way to work out in advance what will happen.  Our best advice is to go slow, try a very low dose first (say 1-2mg) so as to lessen the chances that you will trigger your sensitive nervous system.  This might be enough to address some of your worst symptoms and then you can taper off slowly,

Here is a thread on reinstating - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

If the accupuncture helps but doesnt last, maybe talk to your practitioner about this and ask if that's likely to increase over time or if there is a way of maintaining those results over time.

Can I also ask you to complete your signature with your drug history.  Instructions are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Read the reinstatement thread, come back here to ask questions/seek further advice.

I hope things turn for the better for both you and your husband

Dalsaan 

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Welcome Gray.

And i thought i had seen it all ! Oh my your doctor gave you paxil to help with the benzo taper that is outrageous gee these people will find any reason to get someone on paxil...the prescribing commissions must be phenomenal.

Sorry you are in this tricky situation. Yes it is a most inconceivable difficult place.

You have definitely come to the right place for help.

Sorry to hear of your husbands illness as well. Wishing you both strength and healing.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

And i thought i had seen it all ! Oh my your doctor gave you paxil to help with the benzo taper that is outrageous gee these people will find any reason to get someone on paxil...the prescribing commissions must be phenomenal.

NZ,

This falls into the "if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail" category.  Having spent a long time on a benzo thread, people there who are suffering greatly from benzo withdrawal tend to think that SSRI withdrawal (if it even exists) is relatively minor.  So, it doesn't surprise me at all that a doc would prescribe an SSRI to "help" with getting off Klonopin.  When i first came here I was shocked to find out how difficult a time people were having getting off the SSRIs and I was someone who was (I thought) more educated than most about psychotropics, but my experience was substantially all benzo-related.  

Gray,

Welcome to the board.  As Dalsaan said, you are at that tricky point where it's hard to give you clear advice as to whether to go back on a little Paxil or not.  Personally, I think that a small reinstatement is worth a shot, but that's me and I have nothing backing that up but my gut.  Good luck with your decision and hope that your journey goes well.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I am 4 months off a rapid withdrawal from 10mg Paxil..

I am in a horrible place, anxiety is ongoing,and sleep is history.  My husband has been diagnosed with CLL a form of leukemia..Which has obviously made things worse.

I have started Accupuncture, my doctor recommended I try as she felt I was deplete, and I find it helps but only for 24 hours at most. I'm going to follow through.as It's only been 3 sessions.

My brain is sooo sensitive.

I think I should reinstate, especially after reading all the info posted on here.

I know I should reinstate.Don't want to reinstate

Do I have to go back to Paxil?

Help

I wouldn't reinstate or take any medication if I were in your situation.  You MAY benefit from a reinstatement, or it could do further harm (trust me, you don't want to get further harm).  Perhaps a VERY SMALL reinstatement of .5mg might give you some relief - but that's up to you to decide.  But after 4 months I think it would be best to either reinstate VERY SMALL doses, or no reinstatement and no meds at all.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to make this go away immediately.  It doesn't sound like your withdrawal symptoms are among the worst I've read about, and so I would guess that over the next 3-6 months you'll see improvements in many of your symptoms (especially the anxiety and the insomnia).  By the 9 month mark things may wind down and become more manageable on a daily basis.

In addition to just being patient I'd recommend 1)  a very healthy and well balanced diet, and 2)  at least 3-5 hours of walking every week.  It doesn't have to be intense, but some mild exercise can help the brain recalibrate itself.

I'm also very sorry to hear about your husband. 

Best wishes.

Love and Hugs,

Osk

• Administrator

Welcome, Gray.

Yes, it could be a small reinstatement, even 2mg, might relieve the withdrawal symptoms. You would stabilize on this for a while and then taper off.

Please consider this, it has worked for many people here. Paxil has a particularly difficult withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.