☼ Toulouse: my Paxil withdrawal journey

Toulouse

Last weekend during a busy work conference  (local) where I have to see and be in front of a lot of people I suffered a pretty good anxiety or panic attack.  I felt dizzy, felt like I was going to pass out in the middle of the big hall surrounded by dozens of people.  I made it back to my hotel room safely and tried to get over it.  Long story short, I popped a half a xanax (half of a .25 pill) later that evening and again the following morning.

Cut to a week later, this past weekend, and yet another conference, this time out of town. And this time I had my xanax on me just in case I had another emergency. And I ended up needing them surely enough - each day (4) feeling that awful anxiety and panic feeling coming on. So for the last four days I popped half of a .25 pill to keep me functional. (and it did).

Now I'm home, and feeling fine again. But my question is, do I taper off this short term use? Or was it such a short period and low enough dosage that I don't need to?  Today out of caution I took a quarter of the .25 pill.  Am I making it worse by tapering if I don't have to? 

If this had happened to  me at home I would never have popped any drug. I would've dealt with it and rested easy but unfortunately I didn't have that  choice. 

This is my 7th month off a 14 year Paxil journey. I have taken no psych drugs since last August until this episode occurred.  I have not suffered any attacks like this until now either. (but I also haven't been exposed to large conferences with lots of people since my WD either). 

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Toulouse , I moved your post from the Symptoms section.

If you take benzos for more than 3 or 4 days consecutively , you are at risk of withdrawal

syndrome.

If you have specific questions about benzodiazapines , please use the "Member's Only Benzo Forum".

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Toulouse - 

I don't know if this applies to you, but I just found this guy - and he's not a psych expert.  He's more of a techie who has a clear way of describing things.

It helps me immensely to realize that other people really only care about themselves - not me at all.  Maybe it will help you, too.

http://lifehacker.com/taming-the-mammoth-why-you-should-stop-caring-what-oth-1628033209

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I'm not sure if I'm getting dizzy spells or my brain zaps are back. This has been happening for the last two weeks. I took some omega 3 today, but still feeling it when I went out for groceries. Wasn't sure what i was feeling, only that i felt like I should sit down somewhere.  Very weird for this to be happening 7 months out.  Wondering if this WD process will ever end for me. Been thinking of investigating whether it makes sense to take legal action against my primary care doctor who recklessly put me on these drugs and told me they are great and I can take forever.

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Is there a way for me to change the title of my intro thread?

20mg in 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

What would you like to change it to Toulouse?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I'd like to change it to "My Paxil Withdrawal Journey"  ?

20mg in 2014

• Administrator

You could still have waves, Toulouse. How have your symptoms changed in the last 6 months?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

You could still have waves, Toulouse. How have your symptoms changed in the last 6 months?

I definitely still think I'm having waves.  Early on I had brain zaps, irritability, joint and muscle pain, along with food intolerance. Those all went away for the most part and were replaced with insomnia and muscle tremors/ twitching, back spasms (painful) which then went away and were replaced with what I have now, which is anxiety / panic, dizzy spells while in large environments with lots of people.  Feels like brain zaps have returned this last week too.  It seems like each symptom that leaves is replaced with a new one.

Edit - I've never had anxiety attacks, even pre-Paxil. This is new and I feel helpless with this symptom. 

20mg in 2014

• Administrator

If you're sensitive to light, you might do better wearing dark glasses outdoors and turning the lights down indoors.

At any rate, sounds like you're improving!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

If you're sensitive to light, you might do better wearing dark glasses outdoors and turning the lights down indoors.

At any rate, sounds like you're improving!

Yes, thank you, I do wear sunglasses a lot when it's sunny. It has gotten better since last fall, but still there. My sensitivity to smells and sounds has improved too.  So, definitely improvements, until the new symptom shows up. Hopefully, like the other symptoms, they'll go away / or improve in the coming weeks (the anxiety / dizziness).  It really is a journey, and it zig zags, leading you to who-knows-where.   Hopefully this means I'm healing and my brain / body correcting itself.  I'd love to feel closer to normal at 1 year out.

20mg in 2014

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things! HELP!

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things! HELP!

DisneyFan - I am myself a huge, huge Disney fan. Sorry to hear this about you.  I know all too well what you're going through.  My hives didn't stop when I got off Paxil, which was last August. They stayed with me, and like you, moved around a bit as to where they were on my body. The severity changed as well as time went on.  I didn't notice improvement until December, 4 mos after stopping Paxil.  But also in December I found a holistic doctor who put me on a gluten free - soy free - dairy free diet. This helped immensely. Within a month my hives were gone.  I have been hive free since January.  I only get a little itchy now if I eat something with soy or gluten by mistake. And even then, it's not that bad.  I haven't popped an antihistamine in months. 

A lot of us develop food intolerances in SSRI WD as our whole body is thrown out of whack.  The other benefit of the diet is that I lost 25lbs by eliminating those things.  Drinking alcohol is a big no -no when you have hives as it makes them worse.  I also cut out caffeine around the same time.  Some people develop a Histamine Intolerance in WD. (which is what I thought I had and was following a low histamine diet for a while but I still was getting the hives). My suggestion is to try to eliminate the inflammatory foods/beverages from your diet and see if that helps. It worked for me at least.  Good luck and let me know what happens.

20mg in 2014

Toulouse,

Thanks for your input. I can't even think of having more months ahead of me until this is gone. It's a nightmare and so emotionally draining. Did your doctor mention anything about why this happens? Do you think there's a relation in the amount of time someone is on Paxil and the length that they experience withdrawal symptoms? I just find it crazy how this didn't happen to me the first time around! My mind has been ruminating like crazy with so many "what if's" about my health.

Toulouse,

Thanks for your input. I can't even think of having more months ahead of me until this is gone. It's a nightmare and so emotionally draining. Did your doctor mention anything about why this happens? Do you think there's a relation in the amount of time someone is on Paxil and the length that they experience withdrawal symptoms? I just find it crazy how this didn't happen to me the first time around! My mind has been ruminating like crazy with so many "what if's" about my health.

I also had it very easy in terms of WD the first time I went off Paxil about 10 years ago. The 2nd time, was much more difficult, plus adding on those extra years of Paxil use didn't help. I found the symptoms eased up quite a bit with the diet change.  I had already ruled out a lot of other things, like allergies and autoimmune, lyme disease, etc. There is no explanation for why this happens to some. Possibly the body's reaction to what it sees as a toxic substance. I was diagnosed by my allergist as having 'chronic hives' (hives every day, lasting longer than 6 weeks).  In most cases, no trigger is ever found. There are differing reports online on how long chronic hives can last but in most cases it clears up on its own, between 50-70% within one year (based on what my allergist told me).  I still get pressure hives, but they don't bother me.  My first bout of hives was last June, so it's almost one year since I first broke out.

20mg in 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DisneyFan , please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions section , so we can get to know you.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I went to the doctor and he prescribed Pantoprazole to stop my heartburn /acid reflux. Hopefully this is just another WD symptom that goes away in another week. I have a two week supply that I'm supposed to use daily.  No ill effects from my first dose today.  I hate having digestive issues. They are the worst for me in terms of discomfort / pain.

20mg in 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post here Toulouse because it's about your personal situation , rather than part of a

discussion about how to relieve stomach issues.

There are many natural remedies suggested on that thread , which ones have you tried?

Pantoprazole is part of a group of medications called PPI's , proton pump inhibitors. They work by

reducing the amount of acid your stomach produces. For many people in withdrawal , the nausea is not

due to production of excess acid ,and adding a PPI makes things worse , because you no longer have

enough natural stomach juices to digest your food.

If you take any PPI for more than 2 weeks , you are at risk of withdrawal symptoms unless you taper

off it. Is this a commitment you want to make?

Please read the following threads before deciding to continue. I'm sorry your doctor didn't tell you this stuff.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAptTagv7LAhVk26YKHVtDDYkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F4361-tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole%2F&usg=AFQjCNEgPJiYq0Er6tpN-16-0_kSXsBkcw&sig2=wmXzroENPew8SVF4v1ZZvA

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAptTagv7LAhVk26YKHVtDDYkQFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems%2F&usg=AFQjCNHbxklyvMUhfIzXMXgOKVArPyITvQ&sig2=uHPFTFowCYebvxCJoTlsWw

These are known side effects of pantoprazole , from www.drugs.com:

If any of the following side effects occur while taking pantoprazole, check with your doctor immediately:

Less common

Abdominal or stomach pain

blurred vision

dry mouth

flushed, dry skin

fruit-like breath odor

increased hunger

increased thirst

increased urination

nausea

sweating

troubled breathing

unexplained weight loss

vomiting

Incidence not known

Absence of or decrease in body movements

blindness

blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin

bloating

bloody or cloudy urine

bloody, black, or tarry stools

blurred vision

chills

clay-colored stools

constipation

continuous ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears

cough

dark-colored urine

decreased vision

diarrhea

difficulty with speaking

difficulty with swallowing

dizziness or lightheadedness

drowsiness

fast heartbeat

feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings

fever

general feeling of tiredness or weakness

greatly decreased frequency of urination or amount of urine

headache

hearing loss

high fever

hives, itching, or skin rash

indigestion

joint pain

large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs

light-colored stools

loss of appetite

mood or mental changes

muscle cramps

muscle pain or stiffness

muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching

pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back

puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue

red skin lesions, often with a purple center

red, irritated eyes

seizures

sensation of spinning

sore throat

sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth

stomach pain, continuing

swelling of the feet or lower legs

swollen glands

tightness in the chest

trembling

unexplained bleeding or bruising

unpleasant breath odor

unusual tiredness or weakness

vomiting of blood

yellow eyes or skin

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I moved your post here Toulouse because it's about your personal situation , rather than part of a

discussion about how to relieve stomach issues.

There are many natural remedies suggested on that thread , which ones have you tried?

Pantoprazole is part of a group of medications called PPI's , proton pump inhibitors. They work by

reducing the amount of acid your stomach produces. For many people in withdrawal , the nausea is not

due to production of excess acid ,and adding a PPI makes things worse , because you no longer have

enough natural stomach juices to digest your food.

If you take any PPI for more than 2 weeks , you are at risk of withdrawal symptoms unless you taper

off it. Is this a commitment you want to make?

Please read the following threads before deciding to continue. I'm sorry your doctor didn't tell you this stuff.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAptTagv7LAhVk26YKHVtDDYkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F4361-tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole%2F&usg=AFQjCNEgPJiYq0Er6tpN-16-0_kSXsBkcw&sig2=wmXzroENPew8SVF4v1ZZvA

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAptTagv7LAhVk26YKHVtDDYkQFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems%2F&usg=AFQjCNHbxklyvMUhfIzXMXgOKVArPyITvQ&sig2=uHPFTFowCYebvxCJoTlsWw

Thanks, Fresh. I will exercise caution.  I won't take it tomorrow and will instead try low carb. I have been eating a lot of carbs lately, so that could be why it suddenly has reared its head. Glad you sent me the info.

20mg in 2014

For the last week or so I've been having strange spasms in my gut. They don't hurt, it's just annoying. I'm not sure if taking a probiotic will help or make things worse. 

20mg in 2014

My doctor is suggesting I get back on Paxil. This is the holistic Doctor, so I am surprised. Part of me wants to give up and just get back on. I've come so far but now I'm getting bad anxiety and dizzy spells to along with the other stuff. I'm screwed.

20mg in 2014

I hope you are okay....this too shall pass.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Toulouse,

You are not 'screwed.'  Well, apart from having a doctor who suggests more drugs when you are in a low phase. 

What you need to be doing right now is continuing to nurture yourself while this wave passes through.  And if you are concerned that there is another cause of some of the symptoms, then look into those and see if there is a non-drug response.  The last thing your delicate system needs right now is more drugs to mess it round.

Definitely start building up some ways to manage that increased anxiety, as it can magnify other symptoms.  Back to the Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms page for you...

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hey Toulouse,

You are not 'screwed.'  Well, apart from having a doctor who suggests more drugs when you are in a low phase. 

What you need to be doing right now is continuing to nurture yourself while this wave passes through.  And if you are concerned that there is another cause of some of the symptoms, then look into those and see if there is a non-drug response.  The last thing your delicate system needs right now is more drugs to mess it round.

Definitely start building up some ways to manage that increased anxiety, as it can magnify other symptoms.  Back to the Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms page for you...

Hugs,

Karen

Thank you Karen. It's just been a frustrating week.  I refuse to go back on any SSRI.  I've made it this far. This is the first time I've been this frustrated (the dizzy spells in particular).  The last thing I needed to hear from someone I thought understood a bit more about WD was to get back on a drug I've been off of for 7 mos.

20mg in 2014

I posted this in the Members Only Benzo section but wanted to also add this here.

So I've still been having to pop the occasional xanax (usually just half of a .25 pill) when I get hit with a panic attack. (like yesterday I went for a walk and halfway home I started to feel dizzy like I needed to sit down, I was very scared I would not make it home).  This isn't happening every day, but seems like 2 times a week or so since my first occurrence a few weeks ago.  i feel I have no choice in these instances but to pop the pill.  Am I at risk of developing dependency in my situation?

20mg in 2014

• Administrator

Exactly how often do you take Xanax? Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern.

If you're taking it every other day, you might well be having rebound from the Xanax wearing off.

I'd say there is a larger gap between days than every other day. I think closer to 4-5 days before I had yesterday's attack. The couple weeks prior I took it for 4 days in a  row, then the next week 2 times during the week - spread out.   I think this is a wave I'm going through as I have not had anxiety issues at all in during my 7 month taper.  Today I feel fine for instance. Even during a dental visit, I was not anxious, so today looks good so far and hoping for more stability tomorrow etc.  Just was hoping I'm not making matters worse when I do take a xanax. It is such a helpless feeling to feel like I'm not in control of my mind/body. 

20mg in 2014

I am also wondering if anything else can be causing the lightheaded / dizzy feeling I've been getting lately?  They checked my blood at the doctor a few weeks back, and everything came back OK. (anemia, thyroid, electrolytes, etc).  Is it anxiety? WD? A side effect of the Xanax? ...?

20mg in 2014

Now I am wondering if it makes sense to reinstate the Paxil.  My taper was a bit short for being on for so long.  My worry is that I have been off Paxil for 7 months.  It's only now that I've ever felt like turning back.  All of my other symptoms eventually subsided. I don't know how long the anxiety and dizzy feelings will last. I have kids, a job, a wife, bills, I have to be able to function on a daily basis and lately this round of symptoms is really testing that.  Do I tough it out another week or two and see if things get better on their own? Or do I go back on Paxil and stabilize (if that's even possible at this point)? 

20mg in 2014

Sorry to start a new topic, but my intro and updates hasn't seen much in way of interaction and I need some guidance.  I have had many symptoms that have come and gone in waves over the last 7 months, which was my last dose of Paxil.  Only this last month I've been dealing with anxiety attacks / dizziness, which is something that is more disabling for me. It really is a nightmare at this point, that I don't know when it's going to spring up on me, sometimes when I'm at the groceries, or today while driving my car.  I am thinking my taper was too fast (5 months or so, after being on it for 14 years).  I thought I could tough this symptom out but I have lost hope on this.  My holistic dr suggested I reinstate the paxil and at first I was upset that he did. But after more instances, I am now wondering if it is my best, and safest bet. I would reinstate with the intention of stabilizing and starting a new and much slower taper.   Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I taper up from 5mg or 10mg?  Will this even work?

Edit: My GP recommended I not get back on Paxil and to use the occasional xanax if I'm suffering a bad attack.  That has its own can of worms, I know. But he says if things don't subside, to then consider a different SSRI than Paxil.

20mg in 2014

My GP says to not get back on Paxil but to use the xanax as needed and try to ride this out. And if that fails, use a different SSRI than Paxil.

My Psychiatrist is the one who suggested getting back on Paxil, though I haven't had an appointment yet to discuss.  Even online, there are varying opinions on reinstatement. My preference is to NOT reinstate. Heck I made it this far. I don't want to go back.  I know I need to learn some non-drug ways to cope with the anxiety attacks, but they are strong, and this is new to me. I am afraid I can't handle it - especially when I'm out of my home and driving or someplace public.  I don't want a magic pill, but I also don't want to put myself or my family in danger (if I'm driving and get an attack for instance - like I did today).

20mg in 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Wait another couple of weeks and see how you feel about it then. Reinstating is a big deal , a big

commitment , and you need to be sure in your heart that you want to try it before beginning. You will get

support here to "tough it out" , be strong , learn new anxiety management techniques , but only you know

your day by day reality , so only you can make that decision.

If you don't feel safe driving , don't drive. Have an emergency plan for if you are driving and sensations

start. Pull over immediately.

If you do choose to reinstate , it make sense to do it with paxil. There's a risk with trying any new AD

of an adverse reaction. Better the devil you know ;)

Also , be aware that it's not uncommon to get new symptoms around the 9 month out mark. No idea why , but

it seems to happen often.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Toulouse,

You might find these helpful:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

CBT Course:  An Introductory Self-Help Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Toulouse,

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

Thank you. I will be listening to these this evening.

20mg in 2014

Hi Toulouse,

Wait another couple of weeks and see how you feel about it then. Reinstating is a big deal , a big

commitment , and you need to be sure in your heart that you want to try it before beginning. You will get

support here to "tough it out" , be strong , learn new anxiety management techniques , but only you know

If you don't feel safe driving , don't drive. Have an emergency plan for if you are driving and sensations

If you do choose to reinstate , it make sense to do it with paxil. There's a risk with trying any new AD

Also , be aware that it's not uncommon to get new symptoms around the 9 month out mark. No idea why , but

Thank you so much. I think that makes the most sense and was thinking along the same lines, to try to tough through it like I have the other symptoms.  I know this will pass, I don't want to ruin my progress at this point. I am not used to anxiety like this, and I know it is WD related, not a relapse. I know this is temporary, and just hope it goes away soon.

20mg in 2014

I actually am about 9 months out. I don't know why i thought it was 7 months. My math has never been my strong suit. If it's not uncommon for people to get new symptoms around this time then I don't feel as much like something is going wrong for me.

20mg in 2014