SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Toulouse: my Paxil withdrawal journey

Toulouse

On 4/7/2016 at 5:22 PM, DisneyFan88 said:

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things! HELP!

Hi D

did your hives eventually go away ? 

I am tapering Paxil and decently have encountered the same problem. 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

Hi there,

I had chronic hives for about two years. The severity did decrease over time, but the first year was miserable. Things were a lot worse in the beginning. I would say that I was allergic to life because anything exacerbated the hives, a rise in temperature in my body, illness, menstrual cycle, stress, excitement, tight waist bands/bra straps, high pollen counts, exercise. As time went on, I wasn’t as sensitive, but the problem didn’t really go away until I became pregnant with my son. Before this it was like my immune system was in overdrive. Try doing an internet search for “mast cell activation and anti depressants”, I recently found this and I 100% believe it’s what I was experiencing due to being weaned off of Paxil. However, with all of this being said, I did get two tiny hives this week. It was a very stressful day for me so I’m relating it to that. Good luck to you. 

25 minutes ago, Longroadhome said:

Hi D

did your hives eventually go away ? 

They did, mostly, however I'm unsure the reasoning for the hives.  I had them really bad for a few months, right when I was coming off the Paxil.  I went to two allergists who did blood tests.  No answers there.  So  I went to see a holistic doctor (who I now realize was a sham and wouldn't ever see one like him again), who put me on a soy free, dairy free, gluten free diet.  That did seem to help, and I shed a ton of weight in the process.  But I was still getting the occasional hives, which seemed sort of random.  Sometimes I'd get them bad,  even three years later.  After a trip to the ER, I threw in the towel and tried my hand at a (3rd) allergist who discovered I had a rice allergy (which developed coincidentally when I was tapering off Paxil).   So Paxil tapering messed up my whole system and made me suddenly allergic to rice of all things.   So my hunch would be that the same could be happening to you, albeit it could be anything that's causing the reaction.   I did the blood tests for allergies and found out only later that they aren't the most accurate tests.  They didn't tell me about the rice allergy for one thing.  You need the skin prick tests.  My advice is to try that and see what you discover.  You could suddenly be allergic to something you've consumed or been around your whole life. 

My dizziness, head feelings also seemed to go away after I stopped consuming rice.  Go figure.  

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

26 minutes ago, DisneyFan88 said:

Hi there,

I had chronic hives for about two years. The severity did decrease over time, but the first year was miserable. Things were a lot worse in the beginning. I would say that I was allergic to life because anything exacerbated the hives, a rise in temperature in my body, illness, menstrual cycle, stress, excitement, tight waist bands/bra straps, high pollen counts, exercise. As time went on, I wasn’t as sensitive, but the problem didn’t really go away until I became pregnant with my son. Before this it was like my immune system was in overdrive. Try doing an internet search for “mast cell activation and anti depressants”, I recently found this and I 100% believe it’s what I was experiencing due to being weaned off of Paxil. However, with all of this being said, I did get two tiny hives this week. It was a very stressful day for me so I’m relating it to that. Good luck to you. 

Thank you for prompt reply D 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

On 11/13/2016 at 11:55 PM, Toulouse said:

I do feel that I'm nearing the end of the long dark tunnel. I'm not out yet, but I feel like I can now see the light.

That’s wonderful news and gives me hope..

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante
On 10/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, DisneyFan88 said:

Hi there,

Hi D

my hives are so bad today what did you take for yours and did you have rashes too? 

1 minute ago, Longroadhome said:

Hi D

my hives are so bad today what did you take for yours and did you have rashes too? 

I took Benadryl for bad hives.   You can take one of those in the day and then later in the day take a Zantac. That also helps with the hives and you can take that along with the Benadryl on the same day.

For small hives, which I get on occasion, I'll just take a Claritin.  Be careful if you're hives are really bad. Make sure to not let them keep spreading / getting worse.  You might need to talk to your allergist and get an epipen for emergencies like I had. I literally would not be here if my wife didn't call 911.  I was dying and she thought I was having a stroke. 

But as I say,  my belief is that the weaning off disrupted my immune system and made me allergic to something I was never allergic to.  It could be a bit of both, just the Paxil leaving the system, and a new / sudden food allergy or intolerance.  It's going to be hard to find answers, so start with the skin prick at a good allergist.  

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

1 hour ago, Toulouse said:

I took Benadryl for bad hives.   You can take one of those in the day and then later in the day take a Zantac. That also helps with the hives and you can take that along with the Benadryl on the same day.

For small hives, which I get on occasion, I'll just take a Claritin.  Be careful if you're hives are really bad. Make sure to not let them keep spreading / getting worse.  You might need to talk to your allergist and get an epipen for emergencies like I had. I literally would not be here if my wife didn't call 911.  I was dying and she thought I was having a stroke. 

But as I say,  my belief is that the weaning off disrupted my immune system and made me allergic to something I was never allergic to.  It could be a bit of both, just the Paxil leaving the system, and a new / sudden food allergy or intolerance.  It's going to be hard to find answers, so start with the skin prick at a good allergist.  

Thank you . Think it’s another trip to the doctor to get referral. 

In the beginning when mine were really bad I would go to the emergency room and get a steroid shot, but I’m talking really bad, like swollen hands, feet and whole body covered in hives. 

However, the last allergist I saw recommended that I stop any steroids and just ride it out because after completing a round of steroids, it always seemed that my hives came back angrier. So she suggested to only take zyrtec OR allegra and add benadryl to the mix to try to keep me as comfortable as possible. Once I stopped the steroid injections/pills it seemed like my body worked out whatever it needed to and slowly but surely the hives weren’t as aggressive (unless I caught a cold). 

@DisneyFan88

i hope you don’t mind me asking but my hives started after taking antibiotics. It could just be coincidence but I think not . 

Ivr had them for a month and they seem very bad of an evening and into the night . 

The next morning I’m itchy for a few hours but then not too bad the rest of the day then early evening the cycle starts again was this like you? 

I worry about taking antihistamines because my body is reacting to everything at the moment . 

Did you take your antihistamines every day and for how long ? 

Sorry to keep asking questions it’s just this new symptom is very unpleasant. 

Just as you say they will appear under my bra strap under the band of my trousers when I’m hot if I lie down they will appear on my neck and the side I’m lying on etc etc 

did you do a low histamine diet ?

Many thanks 

4 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

@DisneyFan88

i hope you don’t mind me asking but my hives started after taking antibiotics. It could just be coincidence but I think not . 

Ivr had them for a month and they seem very bad of an evening and into the night . 

The next morning I’m itchy for a few hours but then not too bad the rest of the day then early evening the cycle starts again was this like you? 

I worry about taking antihistamines because my body is reacting to everything at the moment . 

Did you take your antihistamines every day and for how long ? 

Sorry to keep asking questions it’s just this new symptom is very unpleasant. 

Just as you say they will appear under my bra strap under the band of my trousers when I’m hot if I lie down they will appear on my neck and the side I’m lying on etc etc 

did you do a low histamine diet ?

Many thanks 

I can relate to your frustration.  I didn't have any antibiotics prior to the hives (I've had antibiotics since and during my withdrawal and recovery with no issues).    I did take the antihistamines every day for a while (6-8 months maybe?). Then only sporadically.  Now maybe 2x per week, but that's mainly due to environmental allergies, dust mites, as opposed to the food allergy.   I do know that my hives and food allergy are directly related to me getting off the Paxil and the shock my body went through.  I did too fast of a taper for the amount of time I was on.  But I thought the Paxil was killing me, so I sped up my weaning.  Aside from an allergist trying to pinpoint what you're reacting to, most other doctors will have zero answers for you.   I wasted a lot of time, energy and money, lots of money, trying to find answers.   In my case, time, eating right, getting moderate exercise, stopping coffee and alcohol, helped me heal.   Also seeing a therapist who helped me learn and practice Mindfulness.  That seemed to help me a lot (and something I need to get back into pronto).  It's been a long journey.    I still get easily stressed, for instance, so I still need to work on things myself.  

20mg in 2014

2 minutes ago, Toulouse said:

I can relate to your frustration.  I didn't have any antibiotics prior to the hives (I've had antibiotics since and during my withdrawal and recovery with no issues).    I did take the antihistamines every day for a while (6-8 months maybe?). Then only sporadically.  Now maybe 2x per week, but that's mainly due to environmental allergies, dust mites, as opposed to the food allergy.   I do know that my hives and food allergy are directly related to me getting off the Paxil and the shock my body went through.  I did too fast of a taper for the amount of time I was on.  But I thought the Paxil was killing me, so I sped up my weaning.  Aside from an allergist trying to pinpoint what you're reacting to, most other doctors will have zero answers for you.   I wasted a lot of time, energy and money, lots of money, trying to find answers.   In my case, time, eating right, getting moderate exercise, stopping coffee and alcohol, helped me heal.   Also seeing a therapist who helped me learn and practice Mindfulness.  That seemed to help me a lot (and something I need to get back into pronto).  It's been a long journey.    I still get easily stressed, for instance, so I still need to work on things myself.  

You’re so kind T to always be there to answer my questions and I thank you  for this . 

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:59 PM, Toulouse said:

Hello,

Dr found out I have very low dao and he suspect  MCAS. It all began  with the start of SSRI treatment. It deteriorated with time, until the explosion after discontinuation of paroxetine. Only now it was diagnosed and I felt incredible relief after a dose of famotidine (pepcid). Unfortunately, I installed ssri again when I did not know that I have wd. I am currently half a year without benz (I got it on WD paxil) but still on 20mg prozac. I do not know what to do, they want me to take medications for h1 and h2, additionally they are considering stabilizer of mast cells, and after medical trauma I am terribly afraid of medicines,

Pepcid have helped, with sleeping, brain fog, depression (improved 60%). But I took only 20 mg once a day, but they told me to take twice a day and increase 40 mg x 2. It is my day 4th on 20 mg and although I had significant relief in some symptoms, also I started to get some burning brain feeling 1-2 a day with anxiety. Dr say that this is bcs I should increase H2, but I prefer to consult with SA people before I will introduce new drug to my system, 

I will be grateful for an advice.

2012 March- low anxiety, I started sertraline and I got adverse reaction. -.I got depression, ss thoughts and other bad symptoms 2012 May I was put on Clonozepam & paroxetine- it helped. I stopped clonozepam after 4 months with no issue. 2012- 2016 paroxetine 20 mg/ 30 mg

10/2016-02/2017 I tappered paroxetine and during this I was feeling wonderfull. 3 months without paroxetine and withdrawal syndrome appeared. I went back to paroxetine but I couldn't stabilise. CRASH
01/08/2016--Bridge to fluoxetine. fluoxetine 20 mg , triticco / trazadone 75 mg , clonozepam 0,5mg
September 2016 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I did test in two different laboratories- both positive 04.03.2017. from 20.11.2017 I started tapper from 0.5 to 0.125 mg- when I got some relief from Lyme treatment. I crashed on 01.02.2018, I slowed down tappering.
20/03/2019-  clonozepam 0,0062 mg,  fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
28/06/2019- clonozepam 0,0023 mg, trazadone 75 mg, fluoxetine 20 mg
29/07/2019- clonozepam 0,0012 mg trazadone 75 mg, fluo-20 mg
13/08/2019 clonozepam 0,0006 mg I cut trazadone to 50 mg bcs of terrible fatique- big MISTAKE- 21.08.2019 updosed trazadone to 62 mg-still WD- 28.08.2019 oryginal dosage 75 mg
26/09/2019 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
06/05/2023 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 17 mg, trazadone 25 mg HOLD from 20.11.2021

FROM WD of paroxetine 2017 I have not recovered. I was diagnosed with Lyme, Bartonella , mold, I have low dao (Diamine oxidase). I don't know why but I have some relief from resweratrol, ginger, famotidine (Pepcid)

5 hours ago, LadyBartonella said:

Hello,

Dr found out I have very low dao and he suspect  MCAS. It all began  with the start of SSRI treatment. It deteriorated with time, until the explosion after discontinuation of paroxetine. Only now it was diagnosed and I felt incredible relief after a dose of famotidine (pepcid). Unfortunately, I installed ssri again when I did not know that I have wd. I am currently half a year without benz (I got it on WD paxil) but still on 20mg prozac. I do not know what to do, they want me to take medications for h1 and h2, additionally they are considering stabilizer of mast cells, and after medical trauma I am terribly afraid of medicines,

Pepcid have helped, with sleeping, brain fog, depression (improved 60%). But I took only 20 mg once a day, but they told me to take twice a day and increase 40 mg x 2. It is my day 4th on 20 mg and although I had significant relief in some symptoms, also I started to get some burning brain feeling 1-2 a day with anxiety. Dr say that this is bcs I should increase H2, but I prefer to consult with SA people before I will introduce new drug to my system, 

I will be grateful for an advice.

I am taking Pepcid 20 mg x 2 per day (40mg) because lately I have acid reflux.  I haven't had any noticeable issues with it.  Personally, I have not had any reactions to any medications. 

20mg in 2014

• 2 weeks later...

I take pepcid too.

How about h1? What do you take for this receptor?

2012 March- low anxiety, I started sertraline and I got adverse reaction. -.I got depression, ss thoughts and other bad symptoms 2012 May I was put on Clonozepam & paroxetine- it helped. I stopped clonozepam after 4 months with no issue. 2012- 2016 paroxetine 20 mg/ 30 mg

10/2016-02/2017 I tappered paroxetine and during this I was feeling wonderfull. 3 months without paroxetine and withdrawal syndrome appeared. I went back to paroxetine but I couldn't stabilise. CRASH
01/08/2016--Bridge to fluoxetine. fluoxetine 20 mg , triticco / trazadone 75 mg , clonozepam 0,5mg
September 2016 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I did test in two different laboratories- both positive 04.03.2017. from 20.11.2017 I started tapper from 0.5 to 0.125 mg- when I got some relief from Lyme treatment. I crashed on 01.02.2018, I slowed down tappering.
20/03/2019-  clonozepam 0,0062 mg,  fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
28/06/2019- clonozepam 0,0023 mg, trazadone 75 mg, fluoxetine 20 mg
29/07/2019- clonozepam 0,0012 mg trazadone 75 mg, fluo-20 mg
13/08/2019 clonozepam 0,0006 mg I cut trazadone to 50 mg bcs of terrible fatique- big MISTAKE- 21.08.2019 updosed trazadone to 62 mg-still WD- 28.08.2019 oryginal dosage 75 mg
26/09/2019 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
06/05/2023 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 17 mg, trazadone 25 mg HOLD from 20.11.2021

FROM WD of paroxetine 2017 I have not recovered. I was diagnosed with Lyme, Bartonella , mold, I have low dao (Diamine oxidase). I don't know why but I have some relief from resweratrol, ginger, famotidine (Pepcid)

• Moderator Emeritus

I am happy to say Toulouse has added his success story story here.

As is our custom, I will close this topic now. Please congratulate Toulouse in his success story topic :

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• ChessieCat changed the title to ☼ Toulouse: my Paxil withdrawal journey
  • Erell locked this topic