dorisblake Off Sertraline/Zoloft for 3 weeks - didn't taper

dorisblake

Hi, I'm new to the site.  I've been off Sertraline for about 3 weeks.  It's been pretty hellish.  My doctor declined to refill the prescription cuz I had a bill that went to collections, back before I had health insurance.  I was taking 200 mg per day but I knew that might happen so I had actually cut down to 100 per day by the time I was denied a refill but it was still a pretty intense experience.  I still don't feel quite right.  I'm super irritable and sad and all that good stuff.  Just looking for a little support.  I really don't want to ever have to go through that again for ANY reason so I don't want to get back on.  I'm just hoping I can survive in the meantime.

Welcome, Doris. How long were you on Sertraline? The recommended taper rate on this site is 10% per month. I don't want to alarm you, but as quickly as you came off, I'm afraid your symptoms might get much worse for a very long time before they get better. Would there be any way you could go to a different doctor ASAP and get another prescription so you could taper much more slowly. I've been off Sertraline for 12 months this week. I didn't know about withdrawal, and "tapered" 100 mg. in six weeks, and have suffered horribly since. Withdrawal syndrome often lasts several months, or even years--especially if you don't taper. IMO, it would definitely be worth the extra trouble to be able to taper SLOWLY! I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to better advise you!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Administrator

Welcome, Doris.

Going off sertraline without tapering is high-risk for withdrawal syndrome, which can last for weeks, months, or years. Your doctor acted unethically not refilling your prescription.

Generic sertaline is available with a prescription from Walgreen's for $10 for a month's supply or $20 for 90 days. See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2411-getting-your-prescription-filled-on-a-budget/?p=171690

If I were you, I'd immediately get a prescription for 100mg sertraline -- any doctor can write a prescription -- cut the tablet in half, and start taking 50mg again. See

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

It's very possible that 50mg will reduce your withdrawal symptoms. (If not, you've got the 100mg tablets.) After you stabilize for a while, you can taper off properly, see

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Please please please reinstate before it's too late. It will be the best decision you will ever make. If you don't it will probably be the worst.

2003 Zoloft for PND. No other Psych history before this.

2009 CT. Huge withdrawal. Voluntary hospital admission. Successfully stabilized on 40mg Prozac.

2012 CT after 2 years of tapering to 10mg. Another Disaster. No hospital admission. Stabilized 40mg Prozac

2014 CT after 2 years of tapering to 5mg. Destabilized but not as bad as previous. Found this site. Reinstated 5mg. Stabilized quickly but held for 6 months.

Feb 2015 4mg Prozac

March 2015 Tramadol for Pain after an OP. Didn’t realize it was an SNRI.

March 2015 3 mg Prozac

April 2015 2.5mg Prozac

May 2015 2mg Prozac

June 2015 Destabilized (After research believe it was delayed withdrawal due to the Tramadol)

July 11th 2015. Updosed to 2.5mg

Yes, please follow Alto's advice!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Oops, sorry! Please follow Alto's advice! BTW, my symptoms did not start until I had been off a month. It is very common for withdrawal to be delayed--especially in cases of cold turkey or rapid taper. The sooner you can reinstate, the better it will be! I know you don't want to go back on, but in my case, by the time I realized reinstatement might be an option, my nervous system was so destabilized, I couldn't tolerate any meds or supplements I was not already taking before withdrawal. Please keep us posted!

Please reinstate:(

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.