gemini

"Mental illness"

gemini

What are some of your thoughts on childhood trauma/episodic psychotic states/situation-spurred major depression/nonorganic "mental illness" (which I think all is nonorganic)?

flowstate1310

I think there is a direct correlation. I was brutally bullied growing up and now have Bipolar. I have an aunt who was raped as a kid and has since dealt with schizophrenia 

gemini

I believe that as well

gemini

I should say it's all organic in that it starts with us, the organism, trying to deal with horrific trauma.

melinae

I think there is a direct correlation. I was brutally bullied growing up and now have Bipolar. I have an aunt who was raped as a kid and has since dealt with schizophrenia 

My mother was raped as a child and now has schizophrenia, also :( 

Darwin

causation is not correlation. Imo mental illness comes from a deficiency in your body. you must feed your body what it needs to give it the ability to heal itself from any disease 

AnotherAnon

It's very hard to deny mental illness. I have struggled with Anxiety and Depression my whole life, I had a unorthodox upbringing, while many of my "friends" as a child did not. It affected me. I've done a ton of therapy, really only certain medicines have taken the real edge off. My SO had a traumatic childhood and is now diagnosed as bipolar II. I completely believe the diagnosis is correct. Nothing so far has really helped her. I think medication will be in the mix for a long while, for both of us.

Darwin

It's very hard to deny mental illness. I have struggled with Anxiety and Depression my whole life, I had a unorthodox upbringing, while many of my "friends" as a child did not. It affected me. I've done a ton of therapy, really only certain medicines have taken the real edge off. My SO had a traumatic childhood and is now diagnosed as bipolar II. I completely believe the diagnosis is correct. Nothing so far has really helped her. I think medication will be in the mix for a long while, for both of us.

medications aren't the answer they're only the easy way out. please look into healing of meditation,ayahuasca,psilocybin mushrooms, MDMA,whole foods vegan diet,clean water, and exercise. 

Marta

I think it is really hard to diagnose a mental illness....what makes me angry it that....ok the psy have their charts, their tests and it's ok....but the diagnose should be something like "he\she is likely to have bipolar, ptsd and so on", instead of "you are depressed take prozac".

I really hope for the next years blood tests of mental issues would be reality! New approaches and ADs no more prescribed! I desire this sooo bad! Hugs!

LoveandLight

Yes..there are many other ways to treat..ad's last resort or better..never be prescribed..

antidepressantsNoMore

mental illness is often caused by genetic and environmental factors. People who have relatives with certain illnesses may be more likely to develop these dieases. This is not the cause for everyone. I think environment may play a even bigger role in the development of mental illness. If a person is abused or exposed to traumatic experiences during a young age, they may have a better chance of developing these "brain dieases." A person who used drugs or abusing alcohol is more likely or prone to developing depression or even psychosis. So take care of yourself, and stay away from the bad things. The mind is a powerful thing.

JanCarol

I agree antidepressantsnomore.  

In my own case, where do you separate the genetic from the environmental factors?  

I was adopted from a "nutty" family into a "neurotic" one.  (I have more in common with the nutty one, but the neurotic one definitely had traumatic elements)

Abandonment issues.

I was intolerant to wheat and dairy, which I have only recently learned was the probable cause of my childhood allergies, canker sores, bruxism etc.

I was put on heavy antihistamines from age 7.

The family moved about ever 2-4 years, I had no stability of peers.

The oppression of the neurotic family became unbearable at puberty - and so did I.

I went to 5 high schools in 3.5 years.

Experimented with recreational drugs from ages 18-33.

More than a few rape-y molest-y situations in there (also starting at age 7).  Also extreme situations.

Narcissistic view of self centered universe.

Got into an oppressive marriage (he later committed suicide, a decade after our divorce).

Was experimented on by doctors with all the latest in pharma technology.

Divorced the oppressive man, exploded into paranoid mania.  More psych drug experiments.

Depleted myself through vegetarian diet, entered into an abusive relationship (these two factors are entwined)

Exhausted myself into another deep depression, escaped the abusive relationship by just being too tired to continue.

Accepted the diagnosis.  More psych drug experiments.

So there - you have genetic, familial, nutritional, relationships, environmental, all bound up into one, tight, tidy little word:  bipolar.

I'm with Peter Breggin.  If I'd had more understanding of "problems of living" I might not have gone so far.  HOWEVER, due to my selfish/ narcissistic view of myself in the world - I MAY NOT HAVE BEEN OPEN to therapeutic understanding, even though I perceived myself as a "deeply spiritual being."

So the path is the path.  We all have traumas, we all are affected differently by them.  

It's what you're born with

What happens to you

How you are cared for (and learn to care for yourself)

and how you - with what you are born with - respond and react to those factors.

The diagnosis?  That's a cubbyhole invented by docs.  I'm not saying that there is no such thing as psychic and emotional pain - obviously they are real.  But do we need to label them?

compsports

""The diagnosis?  That's a cubbyhole invented by docs.  I'm not saying that there is no such thing as psychic and emotional pain - obviously they are real.  But do we need to label them?""

Exactly JC.   How the heck did normal reactions to horrific situations get labeled as a mental illness?   Didn't seem to happen before psych meds became a big factor.  Hmm.

ZombieMode

I've always lived a pretty "normal" life. Was above average in school, and had a relatively sane family and social life.

April this year I met a girl, upon doing so I started "hearing voices" which I feel to be were of guardian angels/god...

They were always positive and loving,

This means I now also have schizophrenia, and am being drugged because of this organic experience.

I feel mental illness has a lot to do with a persons "openness" to the spiritual realm.

http://www.awakeninthedream.com/wordpress/spiritual-emergence/

Junglechicken

Bullied at boarding school non-stop for 4 years - couldn't get away.  Result: performed average/below academically/learning difficulties.

Great childhood - had everything or so it seemed. 

Parents moved abroad (NB: they never stop moving, this seems to be their answer to escaping financial difficulty).  Father always borrowing money from friends.  We seemed to lurch from one crisis to another.

Never felt particularly secure because of this.

Went to boarding school abroad - out of my league financially.  Everyone else super rich league (didn't really fit in).  Parents broke again, pulled me out of school abroad - returned to UK.

Thrust into the work world aged 17 - London, UK  Started getting panic attacks.

Temped for many years as I didn't know what I wanted to do - low confidence.

Wanted to study for a degree as didn't feel I was fulfilling my potential - succeeded and went on to do a Masters (Very stressful).

Re-located to a town which I hated (for work) - felt depressed, didn't fit in because I wasn't considered a true scientist.  Held back by management.  Car broken into several times (attempted theft), house broken into (high crime rate) hated the environment

Parents financial issues came to light - I went off the rails (drinking, smoking, bad relationships).  Had to bail them out $$$$$$$

Applied for Canadian PR - took 5 years (life in limbo), put huge amount of time, money and emotional effort into the application prosurvivingantidepressants.org0to get away from my S**T life in the UK.

Eventually got to Canada in 2010 - panic attacks started again.

Bullied at work over and over again - lost faith in humanity.

Lost my job and my health - running marathons kept me sane, now I do what I can to keep fit.

Heading back to the UK to re-settle - praying life will get better.