Distraction -A great way to fight withdrawal and heres one ...

nz11

Not sure if this is in the correct topic but i have recently come across a great mind distraction that i didnt have in acute withdrawal but i know for sure it would have come in very handy.

Being a new comer also to this mobile phone thing i have recently discovered an app called 'quizup' .

Its absolutely brilliant you can choose your topic from a vast array of topics and then play a matched apponent from somewhere in the world in a seven question multi choice.

This is a great way to distract the brain from the endless ruminations that occur in wdl ...personally i think its great.

Hey might see you out there i am 'mcr2d2'.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I'll play with u!

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

I also have that app haha I also play with you

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

What topics have you chosen ?

Name your topic. And i'll give it a go. Do you like 'back to school science' ? can i interest you in a game of 'beginners Korean' ...im not doin too badly in that one lol.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I would love to learn Korean but I only know how to say thank you haha

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

Don't know whether to thank Nz for this or fly to E-ville and bonk him on the head....

Come play with me!  (On the web or go get the game in your device's mobile store)

(I just found out you can log in with your computer, not just your phone or tablet......)

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I will give this a try :) I hope there is a "Game of Thrones" topic (my favorite tv show that I'm absolutely obsessed with)

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Game of Thrones (web version of the game, played in your browser. I am more adept at posting form my computer than my tablet....)

From this site:

QuizUp is now a social network, by every stretch of the imagination.

Following a massive update today, the trivia game that trail-blazed through the App Store in 2013, is now introducing true social functionality on a core level.

QuizUp originally hit the scene after forging a deal with Lionsgate to offer Twilight-based trivia to users. It blew up, and the team slowly started adding out more and more topics.

The company now boasts more than 33 million users worldwide, who play approximately 7 million games per day, with the average user spending about half an hour each day playing the game. In terms of interests, the QuizUp database now has more than 12,000 different topics, some with a few dozen die-hard fans and some with thousands of participants who want to be tested on their knowledge of that category.

“We found that people were making friends through QuizUp,” said Thor Fridriksson, founder and CEO. “When you are able to choose your topic, you are really describing one of your interests and interacting with someone who has that in common with you. So it makes sense for that to develop into a friendship or in some cases even marriage.”

That said, the team has been heads down for the past year developing QuizUp into a social network that has a built-in trivia game. The company has added people search, user profiles, comment threads, forums, and even its own chat/DM system.

The new UI features a main category store, with various interests and topics getting their very own icon. Clicking into one of those interests will show you a forum around it with comment threading, likes, and photo-sharing.

More at the site.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Gee i take a break from sa to play some quizups and come back to find CW (Creepy Commercial Wiz-kid) giving us an awesome insight into this phenomenon and singing a catchytune about quizup.

wow we can get it on our computer ...thats great...i'll look into that one....

I wish i had this available when i had to suffer terrible mornings for nearly 2-3 years ...it would have been a great weapon to fight acute wdl.

Any one got any advice on how to do a quizup taper ? I'm getting concerned about my constant updosing and where this is all heading !

Hey wouldnt that be a great topic to spread the message ...'ssri tapering' , 'pharma criminality' 'doctor ignorance' ...the list is just endless!!

Recovering paxil addict

• 8 years later...
  • Mentor

I was glad to see there is a thread about the benefits of distraction.  I think the art of distraction is an an unsung hero in the world of withdrawal.  When we become hyper-focused on ourselves, our symptoms tend to feel larger than life, and it's the only thing we can see sometimes.  We can become so focused on the dark tunnel that we can't see the light at the end of it.  Distracting ourselves and becoming completely immersed in something that takes our minds to another place can be very effective.  When I was recently on vacation I found that being focused on things other than myself was very healing.  I can't believe how much better I felt!  Sometimes being "mindful" is good, but other times doing the exact opposite can be even more beneficial.  I found a good article from Psychology Today called The Lost Art of Distraction and think it brings out some really valid points:

The Lost Art of Distraction

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy