SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ChanceLucky: Antidepressant withdrawal, social anxiety, & pessimism

ChanceLucky

Thanks. Believe it or not, this morning I came to the same conclusion. I had been making a lot of progress from therapy and meditation and other anxiety management exercises. Plus I went back on the Celexa last night and don't like how it made me feel. So I decided I want to just continue with the progress I've been making and take it as far as it can (without the Celexa). I know I might have felt strange after the dose last night because I just need to adjust to the Celexa again but I'd rather see how far I can get without it.

I appreciate your reply. I didn't think anyone other than Altro was reading this far into the thread!

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChanceLucky

• Altostrata

• Orangecat

• apace41

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't think anyone other than Altro was reading this far into the thread!

You'd be surprised, Chance.  Lots of people read threads.  Sometimes it's not an easy time to respond -- other times it is.

I think you are doing the right thing here, but I wouldn't toss the option of reinstating at the small level completely out the window at this point.  Keep it in your back pocket "in case."  It's really hard to judge an approach based on that small a sample size, i.e., one time.  The nervous system takes 4 days to adjust to any changes so if you do go back to reinstate as Alto suggested, you should at least give it a week or so. 

I like the fact that you are working hard on "non-drug" treatments for the anxiety.  No matter how you proceed on the taper front those things will be helpful to you in the long run.

As far as exercise is concerned, I too deal with arthritis, and it is challenging to exercise the way you might want, but there are undoubtedly things you can do that are consistent with someone with skeletal pain.  What about swimming as a way of taking the pressure off joints?  Tai-chi or gentle yoga?  If you look into it harder (not knowing how limited you are), I'd be surprised if you can't exercise at all. 

All of these things; exercise, overeating, inability to drop caffeine, sound like they may be more about the lack of motivation that comes along with SSRI use in a lot of people.  You've started to make some changes by dropping your caffeine level and that has correlated to the timing of your drop in Celexa.  Perhaps this indicates that you are redeveloping greater motivation?

I'm making a lot of assumptions but I'm just thinking out loud.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

Thank you for recommending your doctor. I am glad he is respectful of your wishes, that is very important.

However, it doesn't sound like he knows beans about withdrawal syndrome. If you manage to educate him, please let us know!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Chiming in to say I am rooting for you!

Found this site for real in 2015. Decided to taper slowly.

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

50 mg Zoloft 6/2015, with intermittent fish oil

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

I didn't think anyone other than Altro was reading this far into the thread!

You'd be surprised, Chance.  Lots of people read threads.  Sometimes it's not an easy time to respond -- other times it is.

I think you are doing the right thing here, but I wouldn't toss the option of reinstating at the small level completely out the window at this point.  Keep it in your back pocket "in case."  It's really hard to judge an approach based on that small a sample size, i.e., one time.  The nervous system takes 4 days to adjust to any changes so if you do go back to reinstate as Alto suggested, you should at least give it a week or so. 

I like the fact that you are working hard on "non-drug" treatments for the anxiety.  No matter how you proceed on the taper front those things will be helpful to you in the long run.

As far as exercise is concerned, I too deal with arthritis, and it is challenging to exercise the way you might want, but there are undoubtedly things you can do that are consistent with someone with skeletal pain.  What about swimming as a way of taking the pressure off joints?  Tai-chi or gentle yoga?  If you look into it harder (not knowing how limited you are), I'd be surprised if you can't exercise at all. 

All of these things; exercise, overeating, inability to drop caffeine, sound like they may be more about the lack of motivation that comes along with SSRI use in a lot of people.  You've started to make some changes by dropping your caffeine level and that has correlated to the timing of your drop in Celexa.  Perhaps this indicates that you are redeveloping greater motivation?

I'm making a lot of assumptions but I'm just thinking out loud.

Best,

Andy

Thanks, Andy. You may be right, although the irritability and overeating are gone. (In retrospect, I think the overeating was just because I spent about 2 weeks visiting my parents and they cook so much great food and have so many amazing deserts.) Really, the only issue I've had in these 4 or so months off Celexa has been elevated social anxiety, which makes me think this may actually be relapse rather than withdrawal. I could be wrong but that's my thinking. (People relapse after discontinuing placebos too, though, and I may have just been getting a placebo from Celexa.)

I'd also add that the stopping of the Celexa corresponded with my not doing so great on the dating market. I've always had some social anxiety, which made dating harder. Then I unfortunately had a string of rejections that really hurt my self-esteem and I've only begun to recover. I’m not sure if elevated anxiety (due to stopping Celexa came first) and the dating struggles second or the dating struggles came first and triggered my anxiety. But it may be the case that dating was the cause of relapse and stopping the Celexa was just a coincidence. I was functioning normally (some social anxiety but not that bad) during most of the taper. It wasn’t really until these dating issues that my social anxiety got worse. Does it still sound more like prolonged withdrawal to you? I’m open to that possibility though I’d feel better if I knew this was relapse. Either way, I still want to try all other anxiety management techniques before reinstatement. I did save the liquid in case I do reinstatement later.

On a side note, the therapist I started seeing about 6 weeks ago has helped me to see how a lot of the ambivalence and anxiety I had about dating was probably contributing to the rejections. I feel I’m almost ready to give it another try. I've also been much more open with friends and a support group about my social anxiety. I've found it helpful.

I started watching a Tai Chi video after reading your comments. I’ll give it a shot and I’ll think about swimming too. Thanks again for your comments.

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

Note that I'm asking the relapse vs. withdrawal question because I'm assuming that if it's relapse, there's no point in reinstating a low dose like 2 or 3 mg.

Well, my mood has been pretty low and worry high since early evening yesterday. I think it's some combination of reduced caffeine, adjusting to that one dose of Celexa 2 days ago, and the loss of hope that I had that reinstatement would work. It stinks, though. I had a little extra caffeine this morning (I know bad idea) because I was feeling really crummy. I did do 15 minutes of meditating and will do my progressive muscle relaxation later. I'm still committed to that.

I still haven't ruled out reinstatement. I think I'm going to talk with my psychologist about it Monday. He doesn't prescribe but I value his advice. Then I have to make a decision and actually stick to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Note that I'm asking the relapse vs. withdrawal question because I'm assuming that if it's relapse, there's no point in reinstating a low dose like 2 or 3 mg.

Relapse of what? Social anxiety?  If that is what you were on it for at the core of it all, I would suggest, and I don't mean to be harsh about it, to find better ways to deal with social anxiety than a powerful, mind-altering drug that hasn't been around long enough to know how it will affect you in the long run (but clear indications to date are that the answer is "not good").

I don't think it's a relapse in any event.  Social anxiety is a grab bag of things that run from "being too young to know who you are" to "not liking crowds" to... fill in the blank.  I would only go on the small amount needed to taper, if needed, but I would not seriously consider going back on the medicine long term.

But that's me.

Hang in there.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Fair enough. Yes, social anxiety is what I was taking the drug for initially. You're right that "social anxiety" is a broad, vague term. I tend to have anxiety in situations where I fear judgment. That mostly is related to dating and physical intimacy but can sometimes include situations at work and occasionally elsewhere. I think what I have would be considered specific or selective social anxiety rather than generalized. In most social situations, I probably would not come across as someone with social anxiety, although it can feel brutal in the situations it does happen. And I sometimes will spend a day or more just beating myself up over how a social situation went. 

The reason that I asked the question about relapse or withdrawal is that I'm trying to figure out if there's any point to reinstating a low dose. (I wasn't asking about trying a high dose.) All of the social anxiety symptoms above did still occur when I was on Celexa but they were weaker than now. I’m thinking if it’s relapse and I don’t have prolonged withdrawal, a low dose is pointless and I should just try my best with anxiety management skills instead. But if it is prolonged withdrawal, a low dose might be worth trying.

Hi Lucky!

I think challenges related to dating and physical intimacy are fascinating and come from deep within- so wouldn't disappear overnight, although I imagine talk therapy and group therapy would help (or would for me anyway). But I can say the thing about being very critical and self aware during social occasions can get better from exposure to the situations. All you need is one person who will hold your hand as you walk into that party, and remind you that all you need to do is stand there and take it in- you owe no one a thing (I found someone like that in college), and it can also help to be in a circle that includes an extreme extrovert, a roommate if possible, who is constantly sabotaging your efforts to be alone (although hopefully they aren't inconsiderate or narcissistic types!). It can flip so fast, like in a matter of months, with the addition of people like this in your life, in my experience. And then you have started to build memories of social occasions that you survived, or did okay by your standards, or even conquered!

Side note. I look back at middle school through college sometimes, from the perspective of today. With shock, I can see certain times when my social anxiety and my determined view that I was awkward and ugly and unlovable most definitely prevented me from opportunities that might have brought me the happiness I wanted so badly I cried all the time. For instance, I think at least one or two guys I absolutely Adored were, in retrospect, clearly indicating interest in me at times and all I could do was think how awkward I was, it never at ALL occurred to me that they could be interested- as if that would be breaking a law of the world. Not in a million, million years. I was ugly, arrogant, unfunny, awkward, etc., in my view. That's sad. It's really true that you are worth it, worth being liked, loved, worth being cared for by someone who is very kind and very attractive to you. Even, by the way, if you overeat or undereat or do other things that aren't nice to yourself sometimes (been there too). I hope you look up one day and see one of these people reaching out for you, or find some way to flip the door open into the room where people are engaging with each other without fear. You can find a way to belong there beautifully. One thing we have over other folks, after all, is we are young! That in itself is worthy of envy for many ; ). Another tip, if you're a reader- Quiet: the power of introverts by an author named Cain. A fun read for me.

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

Gosh, I’m worried about liver issues and Wellbutrin. I asked my doctor and my most recent ALT level was 56. The lab they used said the upper limit was 75 but then I’m reading sources online saying that’s wrong and labs should be using 56 or even 40. However, I’m also reading that doctors usually aren’t concerned about liver damage unless you’re at a level like 3 or 5 times the upper limit. So I’m trying not to freak out but I am concerned. Realistically, I’m not in a position to stop the Wellbutrin now but maybe I should try to stabilize my mental health and in 6 months or so I’d be able to get off of it.

On a side note, after reading about stroke and heart disease risks with Celexa, I'm starting to think I'm better off just not taking it and doing the best I can. I’ve read that it’s lower risk than other antidepressants for liver problems but maybe it’s a good thing I’m off of it now. On a side note, I’ve spent virtually all day reading and worrying about liver issues. Gosh, that sounds really lousy. I need to get out and take a break.

• Administrator

Drug interactions put stress on the liver. Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks, Alto. I entered everything in and I'll paste the results below. Basically, the Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Benadryl can each interact with each other although I don't think I'm experiencing any of the effects described. I entered the Celexa even though I'm off of it now. So those interactions shouldn't apply anymore. (I wanted to see if it had been interacting with other drugs when I was taking it.)

It dawned on me that for a long time I had lots of monster energy drinks, which have ingredients that are considered possibly bad for the liver. I know - bad idea for anxiety and overall health. I've been off them for about 2 weeks, though. So that should be better for my body. One thing that puts a wrinkle in my plans is that I wanted to get off of caffeine but now I'm reading that caffeine may lower liver ALT levels and protect from drug-induced liver damage. So now I'm not sure what to think. I've sent a lot of questions to a specialist at healthcaremagic.com and I'll talk with my primary care physician.

Below I've pasted my results. Note that the Celexa (Citalopram) interactions would no longer apply.

Interactions between your selected drugs

bupropion ↔ citalopram

Applies to: Wellbutrin SR (bupropion), Celexa (citalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with citalopram. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of citalopram, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

bupropion ↔ diphenhydramine

Applies to: Wellbutrin SR (bupropion), Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

BuPROPion may increase the blood levels and effects of diphenhydrAMINE. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience increased side effects or your condition changes. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

diphenhydramine ↔ citalopram

Applies to: Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Celexa (citalopram)

Using diphenhydrAMINE together with citalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Hi Lucky!

I think challenges related to dating and physical intimacy are fascinating and come from deep within- so wouldn't disappear overnight, although I imagine talk therapy and group therapy would help (or would for me anyway). But I can say the thing about being very critical and self aware during social occasions can get better from exposure to the situations. All you need is one person who will hold your hand as you walk into that party, and remind you that all you need to do is stand there and take it in- you owe no one a thing (I found someone like that in college), and it can also help to be in a circle that includes an extreme extrovert, a roommate if possible, who is constantly sabotaging your efforts to be alone (although hopefully they aren't inconsiderate or narcissistic types!). It can flip so fast, like in a matter of months, with the addition of people like this in your life, in my experience. And then you have started to build memories of social occasions that you survived, or did okay by your standards, or even conquered!

Side note. I look back at middle school through college sometimes, from the perspective of today. With shock, I can see certain times when my social anxiety and my determined view that I was awkward and ugly and unlovable most definitely prevented me from opportunities that might have brought me the happiness I wanted so badly I cried all the time. For instance, I think at least one or two guys I absolutely Adored were, in retrospect, clearly indicating interest in me at times and all I could do was think how awkward I was, it never at ALL occurred to me that they could be interested- as if that would be breaking a law of the world. Not in a million, million years. I was ugly, arrogant, unfunny, awkward, etc., in my view. That's sad. It's really true that you are worth it, worth being liked, loved, worth being cared for by someone who is very kind and very attractive to you. Even, by the way, if you overeat or undereat or do other things that aren't nice to yourself sometimes (been there too). I hope you look up one day and see one of these people reaching out for you, or find some way to flip the door open into the room where people are engaging with each other without fear. You can find a way to belong there beautifully. One thing we have over other folks, after all, is we are young! That in itself is worthy of envy for many ; ). Another tip, if you're a reader- Quiet: the power of introverts by an author named Cain. A fun read for me.

I really appreciate your comments and I'm glad you found someone who is such a good match for you! I do think finding that special someone could have a powerful positive effect on my anxiety and well-being. I recently went back on Match because I felt I have grown and am ready to date again. Anxiety about liver issues (that I described above) has put a little twist on things but I'm pretty sure I'll bounce back OK psychologically, especially once I get more information from my doctors.

On a side note, I appreciate how supportive and nonjudgmental everyone here is. I experience a degree of shame about my struggles, though I have gotten better. The support here definitely helps.

Anyone who feels ashamed because of challenges deserves to be lifted up and celebrated in my view. I have an intense dislike of the people who make other feels ashamed... And of the shaming voices in our heads. I'm definitely rooting for you!!

Medicine History:

Are there any threads about vitamin B complex? (I tried a search but couldn't find anything.) I'm wondering if the niacin in it is bad for my liver and if the complex is bad for my anxiety. Can I just stop taking it cold turkey? Or perhaps I could take it like once a week just to make sure I don't get any vitamin B deficits.

On a side note, I went to a meetup group yesterday and met a woman and we have a dinner date scheduled for Thursday. I was a bit anxious at the group (partly my normal baseline anxiety and partly stress over this liver stuff). I definitely didn't think I'd attract a date but she kept saying we should get together. So it was obvious she was interested and we set this date up. She has autism by her own admission, though it seems to be a mild degree in my opinion - she has a full time job and can socialize OK. I'm not sure if the autism would affect how a dating relationship went with her but I'm probably just getting too far ahead of myself. I do think we can have fun together. After a string of bad luck, it is a nice boost to have attracted someone.

Sounds like a successful meetup!! Go you, those can be hard to go through with! I feel like if someone knows they have autism, that's much better than if they are undiagnosed (my dad's pretty much aspbergers!!), as they can at least be self aware of their behavior. In fact, having to be self aware at that level might give a person a leg up over the average Joes who are oblivious to their flaws or problematic behaviors. But I agree you are thinking too far ahead, tempting as it might be to do. Maybe just think of it as something that might develop like posts on a forum like this! No pressure, no expectation, no script, and nothing to lose. : )

Medicine History:

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds pretty promising, Chance.  Nowadays, more people are on the spectrum than off!  Being self-aware autistic is likely to suggest a very manageable case.  Besides, too early to be thinking marriage -- I'd just enjoy the company for now.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Wazzap? How's it going?

Medicine History:

• Administrator

Good to hear you're getting out and maybe doing a little socializing.

Why are you worried about your liver specifically?

The drug combination doesn't sound that bad, especially since citalopram is no longer a factor.

Hi everyone - Sorry I took a break from here. Overall things are going well. Earlier, my anxiety and worry had gotten much worse and I decided to go back on a low dose of Celexa (1.25 ml, which equals 2.5 mg). I don't know if it's a placebo or withdrawal reversal but I am doing a lot better. I'd rather be off this stuff but I'm not that worried about the low dose. It's only about 6% of the dose I was taking. I think I'm going to stabilize at this level for a while and then if anything, taper Benadryl first. (Note that I've been taking 1 Benadryl every night for many years.)
I've gone on a few dates with the woman with high functioning autism. We have a good time though we're just hanging out casually. I do have some social anxiety and worry still but it's not that bad. The only 2 times my social anxiety has been pretty bad have been when I've had to give reports to the community (about 75 people) where I work because of a committee I'm on but I made it through that. 

Unfortunately, since I went back on Celexa, my sleep seems to be worse. I used to always get around 8 hours every night but it's been closer to 6 per night for a few weeks now. I don't feel tired during the day but I think 8 per night would be healthier long-term. I don't know for sure that it's the Celexa. I've had a lot of changes at work and started dating again but these kinds of stressors normally wouldn't impact my sleep. I'd always get 7 to 9 hours. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I see my PCP in about a week for a follow-up.

Well, my sleep has been really bad lately. I started taking the low dose Celexa 8/25. For about 2 weeks my anxiety was better but I was sleeping slightly less (maybe 6 1/2 instead of 8 hours). However, the sleep wasn't that bad until Tues night (9/8) when I don't think I slept for 1 minute. I was just wired up and thinking and worrying. Since then my sleep has been 0 hrs (Tues), 8, 7, 6, 5, and <1 (last night). I've never had a stretch like this before. I've never gone a whole night without sleeping. I don't know if this is the Celexa. Within the past 3 weeks, I re-started the Celexa, started dating, and had major changes at work. I guess I'll call my PCP, though I think he'll just say it's too low a dose of Celexa to impact sleep. I'm not really sure what to do. If I want to get off the Celexa, would I have to taper very gradually again (like 10% a month)? I'm only on 2 1/2 mg a day and I've been on it for 3 weeks.

In addition, I have the strange feeling that I'm occasionally involuntarily holding my breath instead of breathing. I'm pretty sure it's just anxiety but it's startling me. My oxygen level is normal. I'll mention this to the PCP though.

Edit: I'm not sure why my previous post is saying 9/13 (where I said sleep was only slightly worse). I thought I posted that about a week ago.

Ugh. Another night of very little sleep. I think I slept lightly for an hour three separate times but I'm not even certain I fell asleep. Part of it was worrying about not getting enough sleep. However, I also for a large part of the night didn't even feel that sleepy. I felt tired but not sleepy. I don't know how much of this is Celexa but I'm very worried about my sleep. I'm trying to put this in perspective by reminding myself that there are people who go through these sleep struggles their whole lives and I'm lucky to have slept well for most of my life.

• Administrator

One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is sleeplessness.

Or, you might want to reduce Celexa from 2.5mg to perhaps 2.25mg and see if that goes in the right direction.

OK - thanks. Hopefully I'll get back on track soon.

Two more nights of zero or close to zero sleep. This is scaring me! Alto (and anyone else), do you think I need to taper that slowly? I'd like to just get off of this or at least cut the dose in half and then maybe lower. I still haven't reached my PCP. Apparently they don't have voicemail after hours.

I'm following all of the standard advice for promoting sleep (no afternoon caffeine, keep a dark room, etc.). Sometimes, I'm awake at night because I can't stop worrying. However, that's not always the case. A lot of the time even if I'm not that worried, I just feel wired. I feel tired but not sleepy.

All of this is very unusual for me. Despite my anxiety, I used to sleep very well. The only other drug related change is that I've started taking an iron supplement at night because of low iron levels. Part of me is wondering if that too could be keeping me up. I switched it to afternoon yesterday and it didn't help though. I also think there's more research linking Celexa than iron supplements to insomnia. But I guess I can't completely rule out the role of the iron supplement. Thanks for listening and giving your feedback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Chance,

Sorry you are struggling with the sleep.  Makes everything else so hard.

Have you tried a little melatonin at bedtime?  Might give you the sleep help that you need.  Also, how are your Vitamin D levels as they are important in the natural production of melatonin that allows the circadian rhythm to function properly.  One thing you should definitely do if you aren't already is get outside in the middle of the day for a nice walk in the sunshine as it helps to regulate your body clock.  While sleep has never been an issue for you before, and hopefully it won't be again soon, you are wise to try to get on top of this early.

Best,

Andy

Chance,

Have you tried a little melatonin at bedtime?  Might give you the sleep help that you need.  Also, how are your Vitamin D levels as they are important in the natural production of melatonin that allows the circadian rhythm to function properly.  One thing you should definitely do if you aren't already is get outside in the middle of the day for a nice walk in the sunshine as it helps to regulate your body clock.  While sleep has never been an issue for you before, and hopefully it won't be again soon, you are wise to try to get on top of this early.

Best,

Andy

Thanks! Would that interact with the Benadryl I take? According to drugs.com, it doesn't. So hopefully it would be ok.

• Moderator Emeritus

Chance,

Best,

Andy

Thanks! Would that interact with the Benadryl I take? According to drugs.com, it doesn't. So hopefully it would be ok.

I wouldn't think so.  Melatonin is naturally occurring in the body -- this would simply be a boost to that if you are, in fact, depleted. 

It's worth a shot.  It helps a lot of people.

Tried taking a nap. At times it felt like I was about to fall asleep and then my body just jumped and woke me up. This happened a few times last night too. It's like my body won't let me sleep. I hope that's just anxiety and not something permanent. I assume eventually the urge to sleep will be so strong that I do fall asleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Classic withdrawal symptom.  Had that years ago getting off a benzo.  It sucks but it's not permanent.

Hang in there.

Andy

Classic withdrawal symptom.  Had that years ago getting off a benzo.  It sucks but it's not permanent.

Hang in there.

Andy

Note that I reinstated a low dose Celexa. If anything, maybe it's a new side effect. Either way, I assume eventually my body will let me sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Note that I reinstated a low dose Celexa. If anything, maybe it's a new side effect. Either way, I assume eventually my body will let me sleep.

I note that Chance, and I'll defer to others with more experience, but to me that feeling is associated with withdrawal, and low-dose reinstatement does not always cure withdrawal.  It's something that is tried in the hopes it will, but it is not always successful.

I note that Chance, and I'll defer to others with more experience, but to me that feeling is associated with withdrawal, and low-dose reinstatement does not always cure withdrawal.  It's something that is tried in the hopes it will, but it is not always successful.

The physician's assistant I saw today thinks I can just stop the Celexa since it was only 2.5 mg and I was on for only a few weeks. I'm curious what you, Alto, and others think. Do I need to taper? What rate? Or should I just get this out of my system?

• Administrator

One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is sleeplessness.

Or, you might want to reduce Celexa from 2.5mg to perhaps 2.25mg and see if that goes in the right direction.

Since the Celexa was helpful, I would not quit it. It's possible that 2.5mg is a bit too much for you.