ChanceLucky: Antidepressant withdrawal, social anxiety, & pessimism

ChanceLucky

One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is sleeplessness.

Or, you might want to reduce Celexa from 2.5mg to perhaps 2.25mg and see if that goes in the right direction.

Since the Celexa was helpful, I would not quit it. It's possible that 2.5mg is a bit too much for you.

Oh, OK. It was helping before the sleep issues came up. Maybe I'll try reducing first.

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChanceLucky

• Altostrata

• Orangecat

• apace41

Top Posters In This Topic

Got about 3 1/2 hrs sleep. It's a start!

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

Oh no, this sounds so difficult! I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia! I have no idea if it will help, but I find doing a body scan will relax my mind pretty well: you can find a few at http://www.freemindfulness.org/download . I also just did an acupuncture session for the first time one afternoon and slept well afterwards. Other things- try not to eat food right before you have to go to bed, and try not to look at screens for an hour or two before bed. I'm sure you know that stuff though. Hopefully you at least have a good book to read during the sleeplessness. Glad it's getting better. Hang in there. 

Found this site for real in 2015. Decided to taper slowly.

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

50 mg Zoloft 6/2015, with intermittent fish oil

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

Ps- When I was on Wellbutrin above 150 mg (I started at 300), I was really wired and one night was almost manic. Even at 150 I became obsessive about work and ended up overdoing things in my drive to "finish" things. It might have given me more drive, but definitely had some wacky effects  that I decided weren't worth it- and that was at 150 mg. 

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my case, I think it was just the Celexa, not the Wellbutrin. I've been on Wellbutrin without sleep problems for many years. Hopefully I'm getting back on track, though. I've done body scans although not when trying to go to sleep. I'll give it a try. Last night, progressive muscle relaxation in bed is what got me to sleep.

I'm proud to say that despite going 3 days without sleep, I showed up to work each day and did my best.

• Administrator

It could be that your nervous system is reacting differently to the Wellbutrin now. The big shock of withdrawal can make your nervous system more sensitive.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well, I hope it's not that. The timing corresponds to re-starting the Celexa and hopefully lowering or stopping it solves the issue. I do want to eventually get off the Wellbutrin anyway though.

8+ hrs sleep last night! Feeling better. I think it will take a while for me to feel back to normal though.

• Moderator Emeritus

8+ hrs sleep last night! Feeling better. I think it will take a while for me to feel back to normal though.

That's good news!  Did you try the melatonin?

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I tried both melatonin and ativan Wed night. I got a few hours of sleep but felt groggy all morning. I know it could be from the ativan not the melatonin. However, my plan for now is to try to fall asleep without either and use melatonin only if I can't sleep. I'm going to try to never use the ativan.

I Googled "permanent effects of all nighters" and the results were really scary. I saw one study that found 3 days of sleep deprivation for mice killed many neurons in the brain stem. I'm scared that this permanently damaged my brain. Of course, this worry is the last thing I need when I try to fall asleep. I'm worried I'm never going to be back to normal or even feel OK again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Chance,

Chill out.  Neurons that are destroyed in that manner can be regenerated via neurogenesis.  You didn't do any permanent damage. 

Ativan and benzos generally are not the answer for sleep in my view except in the rarest of situations.  Melatonin is a much better solution.  Valerian or Holy Basil are other options.

I'm glad you are making progress.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Chance,

Chill out.  Neurons that are destroyed in that manner can be regenerated via neurogenesis.  You didn't do any permanent damage. 

Ativan and benzos generally are not the answer for sleep in my view except in the rarest of situations.  Melatonin is a much better solution.  Valerian or Holy Basil are other options.

Andy

Well, I just Google searched that and I think you're right. I'm still a little scared but I think I'll be OK eventually.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I just Google searched that and I think you're right. I'm still a little scared but I think I'll be OK eventually.

Chance,

Dr. Google will make you insane and kill more neurons than lack of sleep ever will!

Cut this out, put it someplace you can find it and read it every time you want to search this kind of stuff.

Andy

Chance,

Dr. Google will make you insane and kill more neurons than lack of sleep ever will!

Cut this out, put it someplace you can find it and read it every time you want to search this kind of stuff.

Andy

True. It's hard to resist Google searching every health issue I can think of but you're entirely correct!

Chance,

Andy

Interesting. I just re-read your reply. I forgot about herbs like valerian and holy basil. I'd rather try them as a last resort than the Ativan, though hopefully I won't need either. I got 8 hrs last night without anything except my normal one 25 mg Benadryl tablet. (Some day I'd like to get off the Benadryl too.)

Got about 8 hrs again. I still seem to wake up every 1 1/2 or 2 hrs but I've been able to get back to sleep quickly. I may be drinking too much water during the day, causing me to need to go to the bathroom at night.

Zero sleep last night. I was up thinking and worrying - both about dating and not getting enough sleep. I'm beginning to think this doesn't have much to do with the Celexa and has more to do with my worrying. I'm also wondering if I'm at a point where I'm not ready to be dating and it's one too many things on my plate. I really hope I don't go through another week like last week! Last night, both progressive muscle relaxation and mindful breathing didn't help. Neither did taking a little extra Benadryl or Melatonin.

Let me get your thoughts on this: At night, I turn the flashlight on so I can check the time on my clock and see if I've gotten any sleep. I know that sounds like a bad idea. However, I often sleep lightly and for only 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. It feels like I actually haven't slept but then I'm pleasantly relieved when I check the clock and see that 2 hours have gone by. Should I stop doing this checking? I guess turning on any light (even a dim flashlight) is bad but I would have assumed Friday night that I got zero sleep because it felt that way. Yet, there were four instances where about 2 hours went by. So I felt tremendous relief to have known that that time went by. I don't know how else to find out whether I've slept or not.

Also, if you have trouble sleeping, do you start reading? I wanted to do that but I worry that the light I use to read will keep me up.

Chance,

If you're getting any sleep; at all, you're doing well.    " Chillax".    Medications are not the answer.   It's not going to kill you, to miss a " bit of sleep" !!   Get rid of " the flashlight".     This is going to take some time.  You have to " ease" into it.   Accept, that this is going to be your " norm" for a while.   " Breathe".   Stop worrying.  It will get better, with time.  Have you tried the Magnesium ?    ( Dissolved? ).   Baths, Mag oil ? Etc.   Believe me, I know about it.      Ali.  :wacko:

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Chance,

If you're getting any sleep; at all, you're doing well.    " Chillax".    Medications are not the answer.   It's not going to kill you, to miss a " bit of sleep" !!   Get rid of " the flashlight".     This is going to take some time.  You have to " ease" into it.   Accept, that this is going to be your " norm" for a while.   " Breathe".   Stop worrying.  It will get better, with time.  Have you tried the Magnesium ?    ( Dissolved? ).   Baths, Mag oil ? Etc.   Believe me, I know about it.      Ali.  :wacko:

Thanks. I appreciate it. It's so hard to relax. I did a brisk walk and broke a sweat this morning. I don't do a lot of exercise because of joint problems but at this point I feel I have to start living healthier. I guess the big worry on my mind is getting enough sleep to function at work but I know that worry just keeps me up. You're probably right that this is the new norm for now. I was hoping it would go away but oh well. I'm going to try to live as well as I can (doing work, socializing, etc.) during the day and then hopefully I'll have better nights.

I appreciate your writing back. I wasn't sure how many people were still following this thread since only a handful were replying. I assumed some others might be following, though.

I'm the "queen" of insomnia.   I go days & weeks with " no sleep".   :unsure::):D   Hang in there.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

I'm the "queen" of insomnia.   I go days & weeks with " no sleep".   :unsure::):D   Hang in there.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. It does help to know there are others out there. To my amazement, I showed up to work each day last week and did the best I could. Even after 3 days, I was still putting full sentences together OK!.

Amazing !!   Keep up the good work .      Benadryl ??

Yeah, I've been taking Benadryl for years.

I'm wondering if I decreased the Celexa too fast. PCP thought I could just stop the Celexa, though Alto mentioned going from 2.5 to 2.25 mg. I was only on 2.5 for about 2 weeks. (The week prior I gradually increased from zero to 2.5.)

Part of me thought I just needed to get off the Celexa but I took an in between approach and cut the dose in half (about 1 1/4 mg). I did sleep the next 3 days (2 of them being better than in a while) and it seemed like a coincidence that last night I was worrying and awake. (Now I hope worrying about Celexa doesn't keep me up!)

I'm still following! Have just gotten preoccupied recently.

Yep, it sounds like the worrying is the major culprit. But accepting that it is what it is is a good idea. It won't stay like this forever. I enjoy watching my cat's strange routines. He will do the weirdest things, and repeat them like clockwork daily, but then he slowly changes these routines as well. I agree with AliG- whatever happens, you will be fine.

I'd try to think of the dating as casually as you are able to. If you're anything like me, some social life is better than less. It's easy for me to isolate myself socially. It's worth it to hold on to things like that, if you can keep in mind that they are not the be all and end all. You can take care of getting most of your wants and needs met yourself (one of the affirmations I come up with often when I'm afraid). You are also capable of building constructive and meaningful relationships. For that reason, dating doesn't have to be a source of pressure (I know, easier said than done...). Finally, it's okay if you aren't getting perfect sleep. Just good enough is just fine. It's okay to try to read at night, or do what you are inclined to do, at least to give it a curious shot, and see what happens! I think anything that indicates you are trusting yourself and being kind to yourself should be allowed.

You're amazing to keep going to work and hammering your days out! I'm rooting for you. Let's hope you and I both get some better sleep in nights to come!

Medicine History:

I'm still following! Have just gotten preoccupied recently.

Yep, it sounds like the worrying is the major culprit. But accepting that it is what it is is a good idea. It won't stay like this forever. I enjoy watching my cat's strange routines. He will do the weirdest things, and repeat them like clockwork daily, but then he slowly changes these routines as well. I agree with AliG- whatever happens, you will be fine.

I'd try to think of the dating as casually as you are able to. If you're anything like me, some social life is better than less. It's easy for me to isolate myself socially. It's worth it to hold on to things like that, if you can keep in mind that they are not the be all and end all. You can take care of getting most of your wants and needs met yourself (one of the affirmations I come up with often when I'm afraid). You are also capable of building constructive and meaningful relationships. For that reason, dating doesn't have to be a source of pressure (I know, easier said than done...). Finally, it's okay if you aren't getting perfect sleep. Just good enough is just fine. It's okay to try to read at night, or do what you are inclined to do, at least to give it a curious shot, and see what happens! I think anything that indicates you are trusting yourself and being kind to yourself should be allowed.

You're amazing to keep going to work and hammering your days out! I'm rooting for you. Let's hope you and I both get some better sleep in nights to come!

Thanks! I really like that affirmation!

I did take one afternoon off of work. I wish I hadn't in retrospect but I still pushed myself really hard. I talked with a colleague today at work who has also recently developed insomnia. We both have many similar worries and issues. Not that I want someone else to struggle but it's relieving to hear of other people having similar issues.

I love this quote that I just came across today:
Winston Churchill: “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.”

Got 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep (peeing just once). I think the melatonin really helped. I don't want to take it every night and be dependent on it or develop tolerance to it though.

: ))) glad to hear!!

And I of course stubbed my toe before bed last night, disrupting my sleep! I never would have thought a pinky toe could complain so much for so long! Don't stub your toe before bed, my new advice!

I also like that Churchill quote. Spoken by a guy who actually had many legitimate challenges in his life! And I know he had trouble with "the black dog", but he might also have been a funky sleeper too, right? You're in good company...

Medicine History:

Sleeping has still been inconsistent and lately my hypochondria has been in overdrive. This seems to come and go.
However, after talking with a friend, I decided that I have to push myself to exercise more. She thinks the soreness is only because my body is not used to exercising. I've done at least one brisk walk every day the past week (except one off day) and I don't seem any more sore than usual. Maybe for a few hours after the walk my muscles and lower back are a tiny bit sore but it's a small brief increase. To my surprise, I think my body can handle this. I'm going to try to keep doing at least one brisk 20 min walk every day. I'm not sure if it will make me more sore in the long-run or if it will strengthen my muscles and enable me to actually do more. But I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully this will help with my anxiety and insomnia.

I always walk my dog about 1 1/2 miles a day too - I've been doing that for months. But we stop many times and it's not really aerobic exercise.

Yes, great idea!! I also like bike riding sometimes for gentle exercise. Do you ever listen to podcasts? That makes walking fun for me sometimes.

Medicine History:

Good idea. I don't have an ipod though I could get that. I do like many podcasts though I currently listen to them only on my computer.

Wow... Smart phones are kind of like Pandora's box, because access to the apps and the Internet all the time can create addictive behavior or stoke anxiety, but if you can figure out a good system they offer a lot of good things. I like the iPod idea though- I don't have one of those but as I understand it you can download podcasts onto it, and get the benefit of the podcasts without the distraction of the texting and internet. Or you can just have a ton of willpower and get an phone or iPod touch but only use it for good not evil! I get a lot out of my podcasts on my phone. I use an app called Stitcher that's great.

Medicine History:

My doc always says, if they could make a pill that does what excercise does, it would be worth a fortune. Even a little bit of excercise is so good. I can't always do this regularly but I try to move a bit, mostly walking, every day if I can.

Medicine History:

Hi Chance,

I agree with O.C.   Exercise is " the holy grail", if you can handle it.  Not everyone can, in " withdrawal", but it does sound like you are doing ok, with it.  If I were you, I would try and gradually  increase your aerobic exercise, to more than 20 mins  daily ,  if you can manage it.  See how you go.  " Baby steps".  Maybe 5 mins more each week .

That's so true, what O.C said.  " If they could make a pill, that could does what exercise does, it would be worth a fortune " !  ( helps generate new  brain cell growth, in the Hippocampus).  Stimulates brain plasticity  -  " neurogenesis".  Etc.etc.  All positive stuff !

However, it's extremely hard to do after zero or only a few hours sleep !  I have found if you push through it (  fatigue),  it (  exercise  )  has a way of evening things out into an  upward spiral, that will leave you feeling better, all around.  This has a " cascade  effect", which can ultimately result in more sleep , better mood etc. & the cycle goes on.

I would also " ditch " the Benadryl.  Have you tried magnesium, valerian , melatonin & others.  Not everything works for everyone.  We're all different.  You have to experiment & find out what " works " for you . For me, nothing I've tried, has overcome the whole " withdrawal"  aspect of this, however I'm still trying different things. Supplements,  yoga,   etc.   Some things work for me some of the time.  It's better than nothing.   Keep searching.

Just some thoughts .    Love,   Ali.

Thanks, Ali. I think I pushed the aerobic exercise increase too much last weekend and my right hip and lower back got a little sore. I took Sunday off and then only did a small amount yesterday. Based on x-rays, my doctors have said my joints look OK. It's frustrating that I get joint discomfort so easily though.

About 2 years ago, I tried to taper the Benadryl over a few weeks, but I was getting significant vertigo and disequilibrium. I would like to stop the Benadryl but I've been taking it for so long, I think I'd have to do it gradually - I might try something closer to the same antidepressant 10% rate here, at least in the start.

For the last two nights health, dating, and work related worries have kept me up. I think I got about 2 and then 5 hrs of sleep. Part of me would like to get off the Benadryl now but part of me says I should wait until my sleep gets closer to back to normal. Decreasing Benadryl might cause rebound insomnia, right? And that's really the last thing I need right now. Although I'm getting some sleep, I've accumulated a sleep debt over the past month. I could potentially decrease it over winter and summer breaks when I'm not teaching lectures and there's less pressure to get sleep.

Oh, I also read that Benadryl acts as a mild SSRI. And since I stopped and then reinstated a low dose of the Celexa not too long ago, I'm afraid to make even more serotonin related changes. Maybe the 10% method is gradual enough that I could still start that now. What do you guys thinks?

Besides the fact that long-term Benadryl use is not good, it interacts with so many different things that might help with anxiety (valerian, kava, chamomile). It really limits my options.

Chance,

I see the problem .  Very limited options, as far as supplements go.  Long term use, needs to be tapered, like anything in  " withdrawal".  Personally, I would go with the 10% taper. I don't see how you could go wrong.   However, there might be a " higher authority" who has different ideas.  That's fine.  I'm not an expert. I just know what I have experienced, myself.

If it was me. I would do the 10% taper, get off & then try some of the other alternatives. Maybe, in the break, like you said.  No pressure.