SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jmeff66 please help!

jmeff66

Hi there.  I'm a 30 year old male from Canada.  I've struggled with depression and dissociation for past decade.  I've been over 20 medications.  I've had about a dozen trips to psychiatric wards.  Recently I have spent 3 months in specialized psychiatric facility.  This was due to two failed suicide attempts.  I had spent the previous 2 year withdrawing from benzo's.  It was agonizing.  I got off of them but the depression and dissociation just continue to get worse and sadly they put me back on them. At the hospital I did two rounds of ECT.  My kidney's also failed due to lithium toxicity.  The doctor's actually thought I was going to die because my kidney's completely shut down.  But by some miracle (or curse) my kidney's magically started working again.  The doctors said they never seen anything like it.  

I've been out of hospital for about a month.  My medications when I left were/are:

Effexor 300mg

Lamictal 200mg

Ativan 4mg

Olanzapine 5mg

Remeron 90 mg

Since none of these were really working they wanted me to come off the remeron to try something else.  I've come down from 90mg to 60mg so far.  But I'm litterally going insane.  I feel like I'm seriously losing my grip on reality.  I have auditory hallucinations.  My dissociation is so bad I can barley keep my opens because it feels like I'm on a bad acid trip.  Any kind of light makes me feel like I'm tripping out.  Sometimes I can't even watch t.v or movies because I almost feel like I lose my personality and start picking up or using the personalities of the people I've been watching.  I know that sounds completely insane.  I've never been psychotic, so it's not that. I've been suicidal for awhile now and I'm worried this might push me over the edge.  I really don't see any hope.  I don't know why I'm still holding on.  Obviously none of these meds are working and I can't get off them (I don't have the strength).  I'm depressed and insane.  I haven't been able to work or even really leave my house in years. I have no friends or social life.  I was just wondering:

Should I go back to hospital?

How long will remeron withdrawal last?

will the remeron withdrawal be less sever if I'm switching to another antidepressant?

Is there any reason to have any hope?

Hi

Welcome here.

I'm so sorry that you are having a tough time. But your with people here who totally understand the effects of this medication and excellent moderators who hopefully will be able to help..

Don't give up the hope!

Take care.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Welcome

There are people here who are poly drugged and haven't given up. Please have hope. I'll pray for u.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

will the remeron withdrawal be less sever if I'm switching to another antidepressant?

I'd personally avoid the hospital - but you're on a huge cocktail of drugs and you need to find a doctor to help you get off this stuff.  So I'd make it my life mission to find a doctor who will help take you off this stuff and give you the prescriptions necessary to do so.  That should be your #1 goal right now.

no one knows.  But most people don't have long term withdrawals - I'd say the vast majority of people recover within a 6 month time period, the VERY few keep goign for years and years.

I wouldn't switch to another antidepressant.  Just taper your remeron slowly over time.

In my personal opinion - If you taper off all of your medications and DO NOT GO BACK UP, and STAY OFF MEDS for the rest of your life, you will be ok.

In my opinion, You just need to taper all of your meds slowly over time.  I wouldn't recommend going any faster than 10% per month if you can help it.

If I were you - I'd also avoid all drugs and most supplements as well.  In my opinion - You must avoid all recreational drugs like alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, etc.  From my experience, These drugs can have profound adverse reactions to your brain and slow down the healing process dramatically.

Other opinions:

In my personal opinion, the only way you'll ever recover is after tapering and removing this poison from your blood stream.  You must do this slowly if you can help it.

The insanity your feeling is because antipsycotics cause insanity - literally.  If I were you - I'd taper off these poisons, I'd get off the antipsycotics first.  They can cause long term and even perminant nerve damage if you stay on them for too long (years).   In my opinion, these drugs need to be removed FIRST, and then go for the antidepressants.  Antipsycotics are one of the most poisonous and dangerous compounds on earth - there is literally no other medication worse for your long term health, and the longer you stay on them the more and more damage to your brain, and your other phyisological systems will take place.

The antidepressants come with risks, but nothing like the antipsycotics like Zyprexa. 

Yes, you have hope you've found this site :).

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Osk just bet me to post ...but i agree with Osk.

It may well be that you will need to taper at slower than 10% some are doing a lot slower.

Welcome to this site ...you have finally found the right place for help...so sorry for the truckload of drugs the medical profession have drowned you in.

A great book is 'Your drug may be your problem' by P Breggin. http://www.amazon.com/Your-Drug-Problem-Revised-Edition/dp/0738210986

You may well be able to get this from your local library.

Please dont give up hope there are many here in the same boat. You are not alone.

If you taper slowly as advised by this site you will be able to get your life back but it will take time. Many here are getting out from under this horrendous weight of druggery.

The only one who is insane in my opinion is your doctor.

Even 2 years tapering can be too fast. Sounds like they tried to cover/stop the wdl with ECT and then imploy the ol 'double the dose' tactic..or even 'triple the dose'.

"I've come down from 90mg to 60mg so far."

This is also no doubt a major factor ...how did you do this reduction and over what time frame.

It may be your doc is tapering you too fast.

It would be worth your while to spend time reading 

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Just ran your smorgasboard of chemicals  through the drug checker...boy those are some interactions. Did your doc advise of this? see below.

.........................................................................//....................................................................................

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png lorazepam ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), olanzapine

Ask your doctor before using LORazepam together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png venlafaxine ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png lorazepam ↔ venlafaxine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using LORazepam together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png lorazepam ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using LORazepam together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png lorazepam ↔ mirtazapine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using LORazepam together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png venlafaxine ↔ lamotrigine

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using venlafaxine together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png venlafaxine ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), olanzapine

Using venlafaxine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-1-big.png lamotrigine ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: Lamictal (lamotrigine), olanzapine

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

......................................................//................................................................................

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, jmeff66.

Thank you, nz, for doing the drug interaction check. That is very important.

jmeff, it looks like the hospital wanted to be sure you didn't attempt suicide again so they threw in about every drug they could think of. Generally, you have been prescribed one "accelerator" (Effexor), 3 "brakes" (Lamictal, Ativan, olanzapine), and one in between (mirtazapine). They want you very, very calm.

As you can see, the interactions could be causing problems of their own -- thus, "none of these were really working."

Could throwing in other drugs help? Unknown. It will be decided by trial and error. Given they've already prescribed an arbitrary basketful of drugs, do you trust this crew to fine-tune another cocktail for you?

As you've been on and off so many drugs for so long, it's impossible to tell whether adverse effects of the drugs or your own baseline disposition are responsible for much of what you've suffered for so long. It's very possible you've had years of adverse effects.

Emotional anesthesia is a common side effect of many psychiatric drugs.

You can assume your nervous system has been so changed by your psychiatric treatments that it is no longer the nervous system you had 10 years ago.

It does sound like you have withdrawal symptoms from your mirtazapine decrease. These can go on for a long time. Your nervous system is very fragile from all the drug experiments. See What is withdrawal syndrome?

How long have you been taking mirtazapine this last time round? Is mirtazapine supposed to help you sleep?

How is your sleep?

If you minimize your drugs, are you willing to look into non-drug methods to control your symptoms? Every time you go to the hospital, you will get a drug cocktail.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your responses.  But if I have to come off all my drugs I'm screwed.  And sounds like I"m screwed staying on them.  I spent years getting off medications.  I was only on effexor and I end up trying to kill myself.  I don't stand a chance.  I'm too fragile to get off my meds.  I don't have the time or strength to suffer more.  I need to feel better now.  I've been doing this for way to long.  I'm just realizing how screwed I am.  I'm done.

But if I have to come off all my drugs I'm screwed

Not if you do it safely by following the instructions on this site.

Let me put  tapering in perspective at 10% per month the 300 mg of effexor will take 4.7 years. If doctors think that they can go faster they are just ensuring repeat business.

Dont panic jmefff66 .

Stay with us you will be ok.

Were you feeling stable before you started tapering the remeron. Maybe you are tapering too fast (how fast are you tapering) perhaps you need to updose a little.

I agree with Osk, in that the antipsychotic (olanzapine/ zyprexa) may be a good one to get off first.

Here is a link on tapering multiple drugs, http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Recently I have spent 3 months in specialized psychiatric facility

Can you tell us how recently is 'recently '  eg last week ?

So can i assume then that all these drugs were given to you recently.

Are you able to tell us how long you have been on these drugs for?

Are you still on the lithium or did they swap it for the lamictal?

I spent years getting off medications.  

You probably mean you spent years on a medication merry-go round because doctors didnt know how to taper and did it too fast and you were then disabled with traumatic wdl symptoms.

I was only on effexor and I end up trying to kill myself.  I don't stand a chance.

Effexor is a nasty drug ..but you do stand a chance if you taper properly. This drug carries a black box warning for enducing suicide so its not you its the drug!

My bet is its been a monopoly style revolving door of 'go back to jail do not pass go do not collect a life '  every time you have tried to get off these drugs.

There are people here doing really slow tapers at 5% and having a life, and holding down jobs too. So it can be done.

All these drugs are potent brain altering chemicals and to reverse the alterations,  it must be done slowly.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you for your responses.  But if I have to come off all my drugs I'm screwed.  And sounds like I"m screwed staying on them.  I spent years getting off medications.  I was only on effexor and I end up trying to kill myself.  I don't stand a chance.  I'm too fragile to get off my meds.  I don't have the time or strength to suffer more.  I need to feel better now.  I've been doing this for way to long.  I'm just realizing how screwed I am.  I'm done.

Personally, I'd rather be off drugs and screwed than on drugs and screwed.

I honestly think your best bet at not being screwed is finding a doctor that can get you to 2 drugs, max.  From there withdrawing will be much easier.

If you suddenly try tapering your massive cocktail all by yourself without a doctors help, it may be very overwhelming.

So that's my advice.

You're not screwed, you can do it - but I really think you need to hire a doctor who will do what you ask of him/her.

If you go back to the hospital you may get placed on a whooping dose of some antipsycotic  and taken off the rest - or they might just bump up your antipsycotic dose and leave all the rest in tact.  To me it seems unlikely that going to a hospital could possibly benefit you considering that the hospital did this to you in the first place.

I appreciate all your suggestions.  But I don't think you understand how depressed I am.  I'm very very close to taking my own life.  Like 4 years of withdrawing off medications.  I don't stand a chance. There absolutely no way I could do this.  I'm going to be on medication for the rest of my life.  My only hope is to find something that works, coming off my meds is just not an option anymore.  I'm obviously on the wrong site.  I spent years on sites like this.  Thinking if I could just get off my meds everything will be okay.  well i did and I wasn't.  That was hope that people on sites like this sold me.  That if you come off your meds you'll be okay.  For some that might be true but for people like me it is not.   I understand you are all against medications.  But coming off meds is not a miracle cure anymore than being on them is.  I know because I've done it.  And I did come off my meds at a 10% rate.  I still suffered unimaginably.  I had doctors supervising my withdrawals.  I spent 18 months in a rehab facility where they slowly reduced my medications!  So now I wasn't on medication merry go round or come off them too fast.  I spent a year completely off everything except effexor.  And to think that effexor was causing that much suffering is insane.  So to think that medications are causing all of these problems is not safe to a lot of people.  Some people need medications.  I know from experience that meds cause a lot of problems but its a matter of weighing the positives with the negatives.  I know for a fact, in my core, after coming off medications in past, that I would not survive it.  The only way I can see that I MIGHT have a chance of survival is finding medications that the positives of those meds out weigh the negatives.  With this all being said I would say no matter what, I have maybe a 20% of surviving another year.  I have a few more things to try.  But likely hood of me getting better in any respects.  Whether that be on or off medications is extremely low.  

"I did come off my meds at a 10% rate.  I still suffered unimaginably.  I had doctors supervising my withdrawals.  I spent 18 months in a rehab facility where they slowly reduced my medications!"

I am sorry jmeff66 and i can totally understand your despair and loss of hope.

Did they taper you at 10% of previous dose per month making the next drop if and only iff stable. ??

Because of long term use and a lot of yo-yoing and different meds and dosages this can complicate the picture and means tapering may well have to be even slower than 10%

So they spent 18 months tapering you off a bunch or stuff then a year later put you back on a bunch of stuff.

If they took you off 300mg of whatever  in 18 months then that is too fast . As i mentioned it should take 56 months or 4.7 years.

20 mg would  take 30 months....so clearly if they tapered you for 18 months that is too fast.

20 mg tapered over 18 months is actually a 16% taper ...well i am sorry but that has proven to be for many ... too fast. Yet many here are tapering at a lot less than 10%, several i know off are travellling at 6%, 

There are people in their 7th year of tapering.

Lets also not discount the fact that you are on 300 mg of effexor ..that is an obscene amount in my opinion.

So what they are calling 'slowly' isnt slowly at all. Thats how potent and brain altering these chemicals are. Withdrawals can also be delayed...for 12 months even.

I am sorry you are in this difficult place.

I am still unsure on your time frames, exact tapering and how long you have been on current drugs for.

And unlike Osk i dont have confidence a doctor exists who is competent at getting you off this stuff.   

The only way I can see that I MIGHT have a chance of survival is finding medications that the positives of those meds out weigh the negatives.

These are all dangerous chemicals marketed and approved under dubious and highly suspicious circumstances, they may have different names but essentially its 'same church different pew' one of the first things that we all have to do is shift our misplaced trust, our incorrect thinking that swallowing things is the way to go. One does not 'swallow' good mental health.

More or different drugs is not the way to go. Less is more.

Would you give cocaine to a person having trouble with heroin withdrawal .

Well all these drugs are essentially amphetamines on prescription. Our doctors are harming not helping, hurting not healing.

I spent years on sites like this.  Thinking if I could just get off my meds everything will be okay.  well i did and I wasn't.  That was hope that people on sites like this sold me.  That if you come off your meds you'll be okay.

I am sorry you have been unsuccessful in the past. Please dont throw in the towel. You havent told us the specifics of previous tapers so i cant comment.

And to think that effexor was causing that much suffering is insane.

Dont you believe it. Effexor is a nasty drug. Dependence imo is quickly established.

I suspect though that the effexor is just one piece of this polydrugged story.

I hope you dont leave this site and i sincerely hope you give tapering another chance at a much safer rate. The good folk here can walk you through it. 

Recovering paxil addict

thanks but like I said I don't have 4 years.  I don't even have month.  I need relief now or I'm killing myself.  I've been at this for years already.  I'm too tired, in too much pain, and too insane.  It's almost impossible to make it through one day.  So I'm not going to be on this site and probably not alive much longer.  I sincerely hope that you and everyone on this site find what your looking for and are able to live long and happy lives. 

Were you stable before you started the mirtz taper? How are you tapering it. Have you just done the 90 to 60 drop in the last few days?

Dont give up. Do you have family to lean on or people to talk to?

Wishing you strength.

Recovering paxil addict

thanks but like I said I don't have 4 years.  I don't even have month.  I need relief now or I'm killing myself.  I've been at this for years already.  I'm too tired, in too much pain, and too insane.  It's almost impossible to make it through one day.  So I'm not going to be on this site and probably not alive much longer.  I sincerely hope that you and everyone on this site find what your looking for and are able to live long and happy lives. 

:(

Hey there, 

you're only 30. I know the suffering seems like too much to bear, but in 5 years you're 35. You could be off meds and live a beautiful life for at least 40 more years.

How were you before the so called "professionals" started drugging you? Were you put onto meds for something situational? 

Keep in mind that through the lenses of depression, it may look like "my life has been always horrible". But looking at it objectively? 

Psychiatric meds never fix anything for anyone in the long term. They may provide short term relief, but at long term expense, exactly the same as illegal street drugs. 

I wish you peace and healing, 

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Hi Jmeff you've been through a really hard time and I sympathise with the agony you must have been through to try and end your own life

I have had a lot of problems with light being to bright, I think it's an effect of psych drugs.  I will have to get some amber glasses if my problems with bright light start to really flare up.

This is a good website about dissociation http://www.pods-online.org.uk/

Hope you stick around.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

• Administrator

jmeff, this is in truth a site for coming off psychiatric drugs. If you don't wish to come off them, that's your choice, but there's not much we can do to help you.

In answer to your questions about the severe symptoms you have suffered from reducing 90mg to 60mg Remeron:

It's possible, but illogical, that continuing to do the same thing over and over might result in a different outcome.

From my point of view, given their track record and the cocktail they've mixed for you, it looks like they are clueless. But their degrees might be convincing to you.

Consider this: Are you trying to kill yourself through psychiatric treatment?

Again, your choice. I urge everyone on this site to respect this.

Unknown. Could be weeks, months, years.

If swapped out for another drug, you could be suffering Remeron withdrawal and side effects of the other drug.

You are already taking another antidepressant, Effexor. You can see for yourself that it hasn't done a thing to forestall Remeron withdrawal. (Personally, I would start insisting on fewer drugs.)

That is a complicated question.

First, I think it's unfair of you to blame "sites like this" for giving you reason to think you can live without drugs. Many people who have been heavily drugged can and do live without drugs. To go off drugs, you absolutely must take responsibility for your symptoms by managing them with non-drug means. You need to stop looking to doctors to fix you. You need to "unpatient" yourself.

And, for some people, going off drugs needs to be very gradual as dosage changes can trigger dramatic symptoms.

It is highly possible the symptoms you are suffering are in fact a side effect of the drugs. As you can see, your cocktail has many undesirable interactions. Minimizing your drugs may actually make you feel better physically. But if you maintain an attitude of absolute hopelessness and helplessness, those emotions will still be with you.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs is wearing on the nervous system. The iatrogenic destabilization itself can exaggerate dark thoughts and emotions. It is the nervous system, after all, and it runs everything in your body, including the activity in your brain and your thoughts.

There are people here who never had a suicidal thought in their lives who develop suicidal inclinations as a side effect of the drugs or as a withdrawal symptom.

See What is withdrawal syndrome?

As for hope: You might at least look into minimizing your drugs while giving your nervous system a break from the relentless treatment, which so far seems to have been unsuccessful.

You can expect that the hospital's method of minimizing drugs will be very abrupt and possibly brutal (cold switches and cold turkey). It may take quite a while for your nervous system to settle down from manhandling, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

See Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ for topics about reducing each of the drugs you're taking. If you choose to do this,  let's discuss further.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.