DavidStone Is this Lexapro withdrawal?

DavidStone

New question...so after taking a break from caffeine for a while I've resumed my morning cup. I had one yesterday and another today. What I've noticed is that before I'm halfway through the cup I get that familiar boost of energy but then I start feeling...edgy...

Now normally a cup of coffee hasn't done this to me so I'm wondering if anyone one else has noticed caffeine's effects are magnified for them as well while going through WD? I do miss my morning coffee but I'm finding between yesterday and today that how it makes me feel afterward simply isn't worth it.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Lexapro four times in the last ten years. Each time 6 month use. Two week taper.

Lexapro 20mg August 2014 until Feb 28 2015. Two week taper

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

New question...so after taking a break from caffeine for a while I've resumed my morning cup. I had one yesterday and another today. What I've noticed is that before I'm halfway through the cup I get that familiar boost of energy but then I start feeling...edgy...

Now normally a cup of coffee hasn't done this to me so I'm wondering if anyone one else has noticed caffeine's effects are magnified for them as well while going through WD? I do miss my morning coffee but I'm finding between yesterday and today that how it makes me feel afterward simply isn't worth it.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Yes!

I was drinking a lot of tea. I had to cut it out all caffeine as the caffeine causes so many problems in withdrawal.

Whenever I have tried to introduce the odd cup here and there, my symptoms increase.

Steer clear or try decaf until your symptoms are more stable.

Decaf hugs!  :P

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Decaf Hugs to you too :)

Funny how WD is pushing us into healthier food and drink. I guess that is one positive to all of this. I can't think of any other positives at the moment.

Hey I read over your symptoms and wanted to ask you about two of them. Fatigue? For me I hadn't had alot until about a week ago when my daughter and I got sick about the same time. The main thing with this bug was that my fatigue was very present. More than what was typical in the past with little colds. What has your experience with fatigue been like? Any tips on beating it or reducing it? Also...tinnitus, didn't have it until the cold hit. Wondering if you found that getting set when you're going through WD seems rougher?

Lexapro four times in the last ten years. Each time 6 month use. Two week taper.

Decaf Hugs to you too :)

Funny how WD is pushing us into healthier food and drink. I guess that is one positive to all of this. I can't think of any other positives at the moment.

Hey I read over your symptoms and wanted to ask you about two of them. Fatigue? For me I hadn't had alot until about a week ago when my daughter and I got sick about the same time. The main thing with this bug was that my fatigue was very present. More than what was typical in the past with little colds. What has your experience with fatigue been like? Any tips on beating it or reducing it? Also...tinnitus, didn't have it until the cold hit. Wondering if you found that getting set when you're going through WD seems rougher?

Hi David  :)

My fatigue has increased and been pronounced this year and does not seem to be abating. If you are suffering a virus / cold it is likely to increase fatigue in my experience. I try to get plenty of rest, stay hydrated and eat a good balanced diet to manage my fatigue. I'm also looking at various supplements that I may introduce gradually in the near future including CoQ10.

My tinnitus began several years ago during a period of protracted withdrawal. I find that sleep deprivation antagonizes it, so again, plenty of rest is important. Tinnitus is a very common symptom in Lexapro withdrawal. It does seen to abate / improve for a lot of people post withdrawal, given time. Take a look at Clearday's thread - she seems to be having gradual improvement.

Are you doing any kind of relaxation / meditation? This can be helpful for many symptoms and general well being. You can find many useful resources / guided meditations on You Tube.

Take good care.

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

Yes! Actually I've listened to guided meditation off and on for years and a whole lot more over the past month. I'm a big fan of Tara Brach who has a podcast. It does help settle my mind considerably and shift my perspective on this situation.

Thanks for mentioning Cleardays thread I'll need to track it down.

I've listened to Tara Brach a lot too in the past month. She is very good. I find her humour charming too.

Wishing you continued healing, David.

Tilly x

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey David:

It sounds like you are doing really well - that you have the coping skills and the discipline to ride this out.  As others have said, you may still have some of the symptoms rattling around 2, even 3 years from now - but within the year you will see enough improvement that you'll never want to go back.

You wrote:

I tried skipping my morning cup of coffee yesterday. While it feels good to drink it and feels good for a while afterward it seems my sensitivity to caffeine has been increased. 

I struggle with caffeine, too.  But I'm American, as well - and I don't know as many Americans who like tea instead of coffee.

Now that I"m in Australia, a cuppa tea is soothing.  And green tea has such a small amount of caffeine, that the theanine in it actually make it a relaxing beverage.  Black tea has generally 1/2 the caffeine of brewed coffee.  Green tea is more like 1/5.  

If microdoses of antidepressants can make a difference, maybe all you need is a microdose of caffeine, like a cup of tea, instead of coffee!

It has helped me a lot to move to tea.

Another possibility to consider is "bulletproof coffee" (google for the "official recipe" but I'll share mine).  I make my brewed coffee as usual, and add a 1/2 pat of grass fed butter (Aldi organic, the official recipe calls for "Kerrygold" which is more expensive), and a tsp of coconut oil.  It has a nutty, creamy flavour - and it changes the caffeine "buzz" - it slows it down so that it's not as spiky on the coritsol.

A regular coffee spikes shortly after you drink it - and crashes about 3-5 hours later.  A bulletproof never really "kicks in" - instead it gently ramps up, and slides back down again in the same way.  The fats slow the caffeine down, and plus - grass fed butter has vitamin K in it ( good for the brain) and coconut oil is full of good brain food, too.

Also, here is a list of symptoms that you can check.  It's not all of them, but it's a good selection of them.  It links to a PDF, so you can print out pages and track your symptoms on them, if you like.  Your symptoms are likely to change with every wave - this gives you a checklist you can verify with:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!