Prozac and Tamoxifen and Other Breast Cancer Prevention Drugs

MissSerene

Wondering if anyone tapering slowly off an SSRI -- especially fluoxetine -- has been told they are at high risk for breast cancer and should take Tamoxifen for disease prevention? I've read that fluoxetine compromises Tamoxifen metabolism and makes the drug less effective.

Have also read about drugs similar to Tamoxifen -- such as Raloxifene -- and aromatase inhibitors, which aid in BC prevention but aren't contraindicated with SSRIs. Problem comes in if Tamoxifen, due to its side-effect profile vs. alternatives, is doctor's recommendation for me.

Any experience or insight appreciated. I had never heard of this issue!

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• Administrator

Have you had breast cancer? See http://www.uptodate.com/contents/medications-for-the-prevention-of-breast-cancer-beyond-the-basics

Yes, tamoxifen and Prozac do not mix well http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20100208

However, you're taking such a small amount, the drug-drug conflict is probably reduced.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto: Thanks for responding. No, I have not been diagnosed with breast cancer (further biopsy soon), but am at high risk due to benign breast condition. Tamoxifen and similar drugs are often given to high-risk, post-menopausal women. Yes, dose is small, and I'll ask doc about it. Will read links you posted.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy