SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ECT Electroconvulsive Therapy

Broken

Stan, 

Thank you! Yes, I didn't use to be afraid of anaesthesia, my first treatments went really smooth until I had the bad experience. Today I started dealing with this in talk therapy and it really helped, so I think I'm going to get over it soon :)  

Jancarol,

Mine was BILATERAL, it has more side effects like more memory loss, but supposedly also more therapeutic effect than the unilateral. You are right, deciding to have ECT is not a decision to be taken up lightly. I do believe in ECT now as something good, not only because of my own experience but also because before having it I talked to several people who had success with it for severe depression, including one person who also had akathisia from antidepressant withdrawal and like me got rid of her akathisia and also depression through ECT. But yes, it is not an easy thing to do. In my opinion only if you are on the the verge of suicide from your depression and/or your WD symptoms, then ECT is a good option.

I think Altostrata is right, it depends on the talent and knowledge of the doctor, mine is a very good and experienced one and I guess I also had luck like the comparison Alto makes with the cards. 

Yes, ECT IS SOMETHING TO BE TRIED AT YOUR OWN RISK. Please do not forget that!!!

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Administrator

Please keep your Intro topic updated, Cdav, so we may follow your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I was just going through my whole thread to remember all I went through, I can't believe how much I endured and pushed through and how much I have healed.  Going to bed right now, but tomorrow will update my intro topic. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

ok let me rephrase that- more localized in the sense of angering the prefrontal cortex and not the whole brain- in my mind i was thinking better than how they did it in the dark ages - lol- my mother had forced ect about 40 years ago because of her schizophrenia, it would temporarily help her; I'm not against it; and I have seen and heard success stories; but it would definitely not be a decision people should take lightly - it can be damaging;

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Maybe I should consider this, 3 years of suffering. I know I've only been completely off meds for 15 months but the last psych I saw last May said I have to face the facts that I'm treatment resistant now and ECT is the only way I'll get better. It scares me but I'm so desperate to live life again and to be a mom to my kids and function. The thought of this treatment scares me but I think I might have to put that aside and consider this if I don't see some sort of improvement soon. Thanks for the info cdav.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

• Administrator

"Treatment-resistant" is a nonsensical term when it comes to withdrawal syndrome.

In fact, there's a psychiatrist designing a study right now on the conflation of "treatment-resistant" and adverse reactions to drugs, which are generally not recognized by psychiatrists.

If you wish to try ECT for withdrawal syndrome, that's up to you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

skylarblue75, I also became "treatment resistant" as a result of withdrawal. Our bodies become so sensitive after withdrawal that when we try new drugs we can't tolerate them anymore. I did pretty well on Pristiq, (helped me a lot with depression and PMS) and tolerated it well, but after withdrawing from it, things were never the same, all the drugs doctor tried to help me with depression over the next years caused adverse reactions and/or didn't work. Monica Cassani from "Beyond Meds" site wrote "What gets called treatment resistant illness is often drug iatrogenesis…people made worse by drugs…it's a sad loop to hell." I do believe treatment resistant depression may exist on its own, but like Alostrata says, when withdrawal is involved, it really is our damaged nervous systems what makes drugs not work anymore or cause adverse reactions.  

But, now I know from my experience, ECT works for depression and withdrawal symptoms, and it works fast.. At least it worked for me. I will never get tired of saying it was extremely scary and required huge amounts of bravery to do it, but I am thankful beyond thankful I found something that finally worked and that I was lucky it didn't cause any damage and the memory loss was mild. 

I don't want to tell people to go on and have ECT for WD symptoms because I don't know how they will react to it, and everyone can react differently. I just wanted to share the positive experience I had with it. It's a personal decision that should not be taken lightly. If you do decide to have it, I wish you all the best :)

Cdav, I was concerned about your account of relief from wd symptoms with Electroshock, especially that it may influence other members to undergo the same procedure. I recognize that elation and euphoria are sometimes reported immediately following the procedure. So, I asked a group of people I know who underwent Electroshock what they thought. I want to share testimony by another Electroshock survivor who also experienced psychiatric drug withdrawal. He is not a member of Surviving Antidepressants but gave his permission for his statement to be shared here in response to your post.

"Electroshock (ECT) is not a safe alternative to damaging psychiatric drugs and the short-term relief it may offer to someone experiencing even severe drug withdrawal symptoms is not, in my opinion, worth the extreme losses in the areas of memory and cognition -- not to mention the emotional trauma involved and the loss of personality that seems to be a common after-effect." Jason Kalendek, Electroshock survivor

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

How are you, CDAV?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

GardenialBlossom, 

You are right, there is a stage of euphoria right after the procedure I wasn't aware I was having. I didn't understand why I was feeling SO good, was being extremely talkative and very hyperactive and having trouble sleeping and staying asleep. My doctor says it's normal for people to have a phase of euphoria right after the treatment ends. This has been uncomfortable for me because of the lack of sleep I am having. However, this is gradually settling down, and I'm feeling more like myself each day. My short-term memory is now completely recovered, I just feel a little distracted sometimes (but that is also improving) As for cognition, I've always been an intelligent person and I still feel that way, I teach piano, singing and language lessons and haven't had any trouble doing that since I returned to my normal activities last week. 

You are also right, I also experienced some kind of trauma because of the anaesthesia thing I have already mentioned, at some point I became extremely scared of going to each treatment. 

For me, it was worth the trouble, the scary part and the over-stimulation I'm having right now (euphoria), mainly because it took away AKATHISIA (which was the main reason why I did this). I had been with this internal torture since February 2014, I was ready to kill myself. As a bonus, it took away the brain zaps which had also been there for more than a year, and many other horrible symptoms I was having. 

Having ECT is a very personal decision, it may or may not be a good experience. Some people find it easy to do and life saving, others find it traumatic and regret having it. I've read accounts of all types of opinions and experiences. In my case, I do not regret it. If someone wishes to try it, do it at your own risk. 

I'll keep you posted of my progress. 

L&L, good! Just still a bit extra-energetic! But that is subsiding. Thank you for asking :)

Great CDAV :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• 2 weeks later...

The antidepressant effect of ECT didn't seem to last long on me. Like GardeniaBlossom said, it was probably just an euphoric state. I am really sad right now. It also caused a hormonal imbalance which I think might be what is causing me to be so depressed right now. 

However, I'd rather be depressed than have the level of akathisia I was having. Still other WD symptoms aren't back like brain zaps and headaches. 

My memory is fine now. 

Okay folks, None of us here are experts on either ECT or CES. We are all wanting to learn more about the possible benefits and dangers of both of these treatments. But we need to do so in a civil manner. This thread is bordering on the hostile and that is unacceptable.

The other thing to remember is that this debate is largely academic. There are strict clinical guidelines governing who can have this there are physical risks as well as mental so you can't just decide to try it. And however desperate many of us are/ have been we still wouldn't qualify thank goodness. Haven't we had enough damage done by the SSRIs

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you now CDav?  I had 2 courses of ECT for 'treatment resistant' depression years ago. I now know that it actually meant side effects and withdrawal from many drugs, as the term 'treatment resistant' suggests that many treatments have been tried and ECT was a last resort as my condition worsened as time went by. 

Initially there was a state of euphoria after the first 'shot' , which disappeared after the second. I refused any more after that until I had deteriorated dramatically and it was restarted. It was pretty much the same, first was euphoria then depression, then confusion and apathy. Following one I was seriously suicidal and sectioned, and on it went with each leaving me in a different state to the last. At the end of the course, it seemed like it had helped tremendously except my memory was terrible. I couldn't remember things that had happened 5 minutes before, and had huge gaps in memory. Whole events, holidays etc, I still can't remember them and the saddest thing is that they would have been good memories which would have helped to counter the bad ones.  

It wasn't long before the effects wore off and I was back to the baseline of 'severe agitative depression' and another course followed.  It was pretty much the same as the first and all together had 22 treatments. My memory is still bad, but has improved a bit since tapering effexor. I still can't remember those holidays and my sister's wedding,  one that I was very involved in and played a huge part but have no memory of it. It's strange when memories are lost, because it doesn't matter really, you don't remember after all so don't even know about it until someone talks about it and expects you to join in! I had cluster headaches that went on for years and they are really disabling, never had them before ECT.  I haven't had them for a few months but that is the way of them, they come in clusters and there can be months between bouts.  I remember being very confused, and once ran away from the hospital, hid in the extensive grounds and cut my wrists with a piece of broken glass. I drifted in and out of consciousness as I lay under the trees and felt at peace and ready to drift away. The doctors told my family that the ect gave people the energy to carry out the suicide they had previously been too ill to do. It's infuriating that they can spout this rubbish to deny that their treatments cause suicide! 

ECT causes brain damage, and induces grand mal seizures. The anaesthetic stops the muscle spasms of the seizure but it still takes place in the brain. I read a book that talks about experiments with ECT on animals. The animals had the equivalent to that which is given to humans, then were immediately euthanised  and post mortems carried out. The majority had bleeding in the brain.  It is in one of Peter Breggin's books, sorry I can't remember which but will try and find it. 

My experience was traumatic and I wouldn't do it again,any benefit was very short lived and the side effects and memory problems are just not worth it.  the best part for me was the anaesthesia, I loved it when I drifted away into oblivion and to be honest wouldn't have cared if I didn't wake up again! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

MammaP, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with ECT. 

I think our experiences are very different from each other. Though it wasn't the miracle I thought it was at the beginning, it helped me with the neurological problems I had from withdrawal. I don't have akathisia, brain zaps, headaches, pins and needles, and many other horrible symptoms anymore. 

I hated the anaesthesia part, I'm still really scared about that and I get flashbacks and makes me extremely anxious. I didn't have so much trouble with memory, many things I thought I had forgotten, have returned. Some other things, didn't return, but I don't feel like I forgot too much. 

My problem right now is depression is back, and after feeling so good, it was really discouraging. So now I'm just struggling with depression. My family and some friends, and doctor tell me I am better than before, that even if I feel depressed, I might have forgotten how bad I got and how much I cried every day (sometimes the whole day) before ECT. I think I might have forgotten this, because when I read my notes from journals from months ago I seemed to write more about negative things. I am able to engage in more activities. My boyfriend tells me I laugh much more often and my sense of humor is back. But still, I feel depression is in my body and mind, know something is still not quite right. It sometimes fades away as the day goes by, but mornings are horrible. 

I don't think I would do ECT again either, unless I got brain zaps and horrible akathisia that wouldn't let me be in peace for months and months. But still, I am terrified of anaesthesia now. 

I want to get married and children, but I can't do it with this depression. I admire you were able to have a third baby with all you were and are going through. 

Blessings. 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

• 2 weeks later...

I never would have guessed that ECT could obliterate akathisia. One doc really wanted me to do it but my brain felt poisoned from the drugs and I didn't think it would work. He thought I was depressed because I was sad and crying, but it was because of that relentless inner agitation and dread/doom. (I was crying also because he wouldn't give me three tiny benzos--which was all I asked for. I really needed something. I got a better doctor who gave me ten, a year ago, and those were the last I took and probably ever will.)

CDav, that depression could still be a WD effect, and it might get better by itself. Maybe the ECT got rid of one set of problems, and the euphoria (or "mania?") masked depression that was still there.

Anyway, I hope you don't end up needing drugs, and I am happy to hear that you found a way to deal with all the neurological symptoms.

After two years of misery I got relief from dread/doom mornings after 10 days of daily coconut oil*, about 10 months ago, and then 7 months ago, did a month on Wellbutrin (which is not an snri or ssri; i'd never take one again) because my mood was still low. It perked me up but I got impulsive very quickly and my doc and I agreed to call it quits. The end of the dread/doom was so incredible that I hardly cared about my mood--sounds like you. I am pretty good on mood now, but on actual activity, not so much. My memory is shot. I forgot to mail my taxes in April and didn't think of it once--not once--until September when I need to show my tax return...)

*poor man's "bullet proof coffee", also had special butter in it; organic from grass-fed cows.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

westcoast, I was so desperate to get rid of akathisia, I did so much research until I found that ECT could help get rid of it. 

Depression is subsiding, thank God. I have more good days than bad ones. Still some muscle twitching some days. I'm beginning to feel more normal, and realising how much time I lost. Now I'm trying to catch up with so many things :) 

I'm glad the coconut oil worked for you and you are feeling much better now. 

My pdoc suggested me ECT once but I said no for now but if the next winter things don't get better for me ECT will become an option!

Thanks for sharing your story Cdav.

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

You might want to take a look at this article.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

It baffles my mind that someone would even consider causing brain trauma in order to help an already confused brain.   However, I can also understand the desperation that this condition creates - where ANYTHING -  even documented brain damaging treatments - might seem like a possible cure under certain levels of cognitive rationalization.

I don't know why I felt compelled to respond to this thread.   I guess something about the fact that people are really considering this as a viable treatment to improve their lives concerns me.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why I felt compelled to respond to this thread.   I guess something about the fact that people are really considering this as a viable treatment to improve their lives concerns me.

It is very grave.. and I wonder if some of the more recent posters like Yasmin have taken the time to read the entire thread.. which would give a more comprehensive picture than eliciting feedback from one member.. 

Yes..  causing damage to 'treat' damage.  Maybe there is something wrong with this picture?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I want to give an update on how I've been doing. I read some people are concerned that my decision to have ECT might lead others in despair to also take it and that this might be risky. Yes it is risky, I'm not sure if it causes brain damage. I don't feel any brain damage from it, really. On the contrary, I've been doing much better than last year.  I've been able to return to my life in the past months. I'm reading books again, singing again, writing songs, teaching piano and singing lessons and returned to social events. I'm promoting my first EP album, playing gigs, feeling very creative again. 

People ask me what happened to me because they hadn't seen me at parties or reunions for a very long time. I don't give them too much detail, I just tell them I had a neurological condition and that I'm better now. I do tell other people whom I think might better understand me, about everything that happened with meds, WD, akathisia hell, brain zaps, ETC, etc…  

I've had some mini waves that last a day or two. during these mini-waves I experience RLS on my right leg and some muscle twitching on different parts of my body. But nothing compared to the restlessness and torture that was akathisia and other symptoms I used to have. 

I've been able to travel, which is something I love to do and had to stop during WD. For me it is great progress to travel again and be able to enjoy myself. 

I gained weight that I needed, because I have my appetite back and I can enjoy food again. 

HOWEVER, MY NERVOUS SYSTEM IS STILL VERY SENSITIVE and depression seems to come back very badly during PMS. I tried Rhodiola for this, but could not tolerate it, it gave me symptoms of akathisia. I got really scared by this, but thankfully once I stopped the Rhodiola, the akathisia went away. I also tried drinking alcohol again (which I hadn't done in a long time) and with only a glass of wine I felt horrible. Will not do that again. 

So, in no way is ECT a complete cure for protracted WD, but in my case it did help a lot in my recovery. I still have healing to do, I don't know if my nervous system will be able to be less sensitive with time. And I still have to survive PMDD (Premenstural dysphoric syndrome) every month, and that is not easy at all.

In no way I want to persuade anyone to have ECT. It is indeed a very hard thing to do, it might also be emotionally traumatic to go through it. For me it was not a decision taken lightly. But whoever has experienced severe akathisia knows they would do anything to make it stop. 

Skyler, I read the article you posted about Neuropathology and Cognitive Dysfunction from ECT. 

I don't disagree with it, I think in some cases it might cause brain damage, and very bad memory loss, among other problems. I don't think this happens all the time, though. 

In my case, I don't know if it was luck or what, I had very minimal memory loss (Dr. said it was not typical to have so little memory loss as I did). I was dizzy and disconnected for about a month after the treatment. But after that I even felt much more focused and able to do things that I had stopped doing because of WD, things that require attention and cognitive skills. 

I want to tell everyone that If you can avoid ECT and heal yourself by other means, please do so. My suffering exceeded the fear of the risks of having ECT and I was lucky that it helped. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Cdav - how are you doing now after time has passed since the ECTs?   Did you take/taper off Benzos?   I hope you’re well.  

Dabhob

Dabhob33

- Pristiq  25mg July 20, 2017 / 100mg November 29, 2017.  Last dose 25mg  December 20, 2017  - 28 yrs on antidepressants. Only other drug currently on is Lithium - 675mg.

- 1st stint on benzos (100mg Librium) November 1, 2015 to January 1, 2017 (rapid taper)

- 2nd stint on benzos (20mg Valium)  started May 1 2017.  Reinstated due to Librium rapid taper.  Tapered 100mg pristiq in 4 weeks (Jan 2018).  Currently tapered down to 10.5mg Valium where I began holding on February 12, 2018 due to rough patch. Using Ashton Method pill taper.  

Updose valium to 12mg on Feb 28, 2018 / Prozac .5mg March 3 - March 5, 2018 / March 13, 2018 - valium drop of .5 to 11.5mg

Valium now 10mg as of May 23, 2018

Lithium 150mg August 8, 2017; 900mg August 23, 2017  Tested on July 13, 2018  .60 mmol/L result.  Normal range is .60-1.00 mmol/L

Took doxylamine sporadically (between 12mg and 25mg).  Last taken on July 5, 2018.  Don’t plan on continuing to take.  

I was given a 500mg dose of Levaquin for a UTI (ended up not having a UTI).   Only one dose, but wreaked havoc on me.   Is it still affecting me?

• 1 year later...

A cold water bath or cold water  or cold water swimming ( don’t start in winter, you have to accilimatize)  is another way to shock your body , and unless you have a heart condition, far safer than zapping your brain. Perhaps this could be considered before such an extreme as ECT. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

On 1/28/2020 at 10:59 AM, Shep said:

This is a recent video of someone who had ECT and she describes the damage that it caused. 

Is ECT safe and effective? video (3 minutes)

Truly barbaric and shocking and my heart literally hurt when she cries. 

She says it was delayed too by 10 years. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

6 hours ago, India said:

Truly barbaric and shocking and my heart literally hurt when she cries. 

Same here, @India.  
It is astounding when you see the footage of her speaking just 2 years ago.  She had approximately 112 ECT sessions.  

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Continuation of Cdav's experience after ECT:

Another member who has had ECT

• 9 months later...

ECT (electro-convulsive treatment)

Did anybody went thru ect and got help with depression . I know this is really dangerous but I do not function , in severe withdrawal in months and it is not getting better . Any advise 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

• Administrator

If your main complaint is emotional anesthesia and demotivation, that is a common result of long-term treatment with psychiatric drugs. It is not a psychiatric disorder, it is iatrogenic. This is what the drugs have done to your nervous system.

It is often misdiagnosed as "treatment-resistant depression" because additional drug treatment makes it worse, which makes sense, given that drugs caused it in the first place.

This post-drug condition gradually goes away, as withdrawal syndrome tends to do. You need to be patient and do the best you can while nature heals.

If you are inclined to have ECT for a condition that will go away on its own, that's your decision.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have emotional anesthesia, I am crying non stop, , waking about with severe restless. I am not getting better and almost feeling worser  day by day . I shout, cry 24/7 , I am off all meds 6 months 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy