turbos 23: brand lexapro

turbos23

iam a new to the forums i have been getting lexapro and paying out of pocket and cant do it anymore ... i live next to the border and came across with lexapro from a company h. lundbeck .. i want to know if this is a good choice before i give it a try .. i have try generics before didnt work thanks... i hav been on lexapro for about ten years iam 25 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello turbos and welcome to SA.

As you might have noticed we are a site that helps people taper off the psychiatric drugs because we noticed that in long-term they cause as much more damage than good. I'm personally struggling with Lexapro and a benzo.

In response to your question it seems that the response to different generic drugs is very individual: some people don't notice a difference while others seem to struggle.

What kind of problems did you have when you tried the generic before?

Once again welcome. We have some great information regarding coming off the drugs if you ever decide to take that course.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

while taking the generic i notice mood swing within days... anxiety came back ihad forgotten the feeling ... these medicine i came across its suppose to be brand name but just looks different ... i would love to tapper the drug i have tried it before but reading the threads here i notice i do it to fast... i can drop the dose from 10mg to 5mg with no problem ... but go back to 10 when i miss a couple of dosses .. i really want to pull the trigger and try this lunbeck lexapro and the do tapper ... i hate going to doctors and them not knowing wat a brain zap is.. and tried to put me on some other meds .. seems like if they just want to sell medication.. everytime i try something new vision problems occur .. and stay...

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome turbos,

Here is some information about how to safely taper off lexapro:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

and  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

marmite thanks for all this feedback... was reading other threads and related to many symtoms yo mention when taking and withdrawing from this drug... ear crakling could be sinus i guess... have had it forever doctors dont fine nothing. not being able to focus my vision specialy on bright lights.. eaking up to tingling hands have happend not often but has happend.. and many others... changing the drug just for the price could be worst reading about all these genetics.. i had insuranse but stop paying every single one because they would not cover brand name .. do. any of you k now where to get it cheaper or any insurance that coversit

I was looking at the info for heart stuff & saw that the version made by Lundbeck is Cipralex. This is only a single person's experience, but I am currently having HUGE problems with generics - but I took Cipralex for four years with no problem the last place I lived.

The only thing I would watch out for: I lived in the middle east and the stores would cut their air conditioning off at night, so all the medicines got extremely hot at night during the summer. Occasionally I would get a box that had gotten hot and was no longer effective. After a while I only trusted one pharmacy, for this reason. So I would say, pick a place that looks professional and like they are taking good care of their medicines.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

• Administrator

Welcome, turbo23.

If you can't afford the brand-name Lexapro, that is a real problem.

The generics may vary in strength from the name-brand and among themselves. One way to graduallymake the transition from name-brand to generic is to take half your daily dose in name-brand and half in generic.

When you run out of name-brand, you take your daily dose in all-generic.

You might assume at that point that it's possible you've reduced your dosage and start thinking about a serious taper. Since you've been on this drug for so many years, assume you will need a slow taper of 10% per month or even 5%.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks for the advise.. making the transition from name brand to lunbecks using the half and half methods sounds like a good idea this way i can get to were i feel stable notmissing any dosses due to not having medication and start with a slow tap ...

• Administrator

Be sure to take your daily dose at the same time each day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

so i started two days ago with the half and half method... first day no problem ... today when i woke up i had a huge panic attack had forgotten how bad it feels ... should i keep taking this new lexapro from lunbeck and wait ?

• Administrator

How about this: Alternate taking half-and-half one day and the next day take your entire dose in the brand-name tablet. Then do this every 2 days, then every 3 days.

Be sure to take your entire dose each day at the same time, whether in half-and-half or brand-name.

sounds like a good idea.. today was better upon waking up.. i did half brand and half of half of lunbcks... making it 5mg of lexapro and 2.5 lunbecks lexapro .. i was thiking making the switch something like thos

week 1

5mg brand/ 2.5 lundbecks

week 2

5mg brand / 5 mg lunbecks

week 3

2.5 brand / 5mg lunbecks

week 4

10mg lunbbecks lexapro.....

i think this would be consider a cross taper right ? i know its suppose to be same thing but want to see how my body reacts upon the switch in the early years of medication i would take my dose same time of the day... later i got careless taking it at diferrwnt times skipping doses ... i been taking again at the same time and it does make a difference

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Turbos,

It's good that you wrote down your cross over plan. I think that you might have misunderstood what Alto was saying...

If you take half of half of Lunbecks as you wrote here or 2.5 mg with 5 mg of brand Lexapro you will be getting only 7.5 mg which is really bad. If you were taking it in this way no wonder you experienced symptoms.

It is very important that you take the same dose, that is 10 mg until you stabilise from previous jumping in doses and especially now that you are making this transition. Once you are stable, you can do the 10 % tapering.

Try to read what Alto wrote once again and then come up with a new transition plan.

It would be helpful to add your drug history when you find the time.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Correct, I meant that if you are taking 10mg, take a total of 10mg each day, whether a combination of brand-name and generic or just brand-name.

got it...any suggestions on when to make a full switch ... and is there a risk of serotine syndrome even thogh is the same ingridents by combining boths ?

• Administrator

No, you are still going to take only 10mg per day, correct?