SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sertramean: Recovering from 17 years of SSRIs

Sertramean

Sertamean,

I think you and I have similar WD symptoms and WD timeline. You mentioned you are returning to work soon. Is that sometime this summer? Do you experience brain fog still?? It's probably the main thing holding me back from working.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Hi Christian,

I think for the most part my 'brain fog' symptoms have eased. I'm not quite sure if i know exactly what 'brain fog' is/or was though? An inability to think straight? If so then it has mostly cleared, but i still have some memory problems - name recall and things like that.

I'm returning to work next week. It was my idea. I don't regret it at all. I'm joking, i'm cacking it. Not sure if i'm ready but nothing is changing being off so i think i need the stimulation and social interaction to get my confidence back. I still feel horribly flat though on a lot of days so i'm not sure how returning to work will pan out. If i can't cope i'm just going to jack the job in and go travelling instead. I'd rather suffer on a beautiful beach than in an office with people i don't particularly like. In fact when i put it like that i really don't know why i'm going back :o Habit i guess.

Anyway, the brain fog, it will pass, all these symptoms do eventually.  Hang in there Christian.      

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

Thanks bud! I very much want to return to work but at the same time I fear it as well. I hope to be in your position by end of the year. Best of luck !

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

hey Sertramean,

Glad to see you are posting. I hope the going back to work thing works out for you or if not, I hope that throwing it all up and traveling will be a decent diversion from how awful you (we, of course)feel. I know the flat feeling all to well and it's a reason I try to stay away from people at times. It's pretty embarrassing the picture I present to others, of a man with little to no spark. About the nap thing, that has to be one of the most frustrating things about this wd business. To be totally wiped out and knowing that when you try to nap you will be unsuccessful at it. I luck out now and then and get 1-2 hour naps once or twice a week these days. This will sound gross, but pulling one off (masturbating) the night before sometimes helps with deeper sleep. It releases a chemical called Prolactin into the brain and usually allows me a pretty good nap the next day. It's not that I want to be a tosser, but as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. I am glad you have gotten through the brain fog. I am having just a terrible time with memory fatigue trying to call up names of people and things now too. I used to have a bit of a problem with name recall before wd, so this sleep deprivation is just compounding a tendency I already had. Send me a personal message and tell me how work went if you want. Oh yeah, were those poems I sent you ok? PoetJester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hey PJ,

Those poems were great, you have a talent for writing.

Interesting about the Prolactin, i wonder if you can buy it in a pill! Just joking. Unfortunately i have all the sexual desire of a castrated monk at the moment so i'll need to find other ways of getting naps.

Hope the cycling is going well? I really need to start excercising. I've put a stone back on since i started on here. Not good for the self-esteem.

I'll let you know how the job goes. Thanks for asking.

All the best mate.

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i made it back to work. Just finished my 2nd half-day. 

I felt pretty 'weird' on both days and prolonged conversations were a bit hard work. I seem to be having trouble withdrawing (bloody withdrawals!) from conversations, like i'm not sure what to say to bring them to a natural end. It's an awkwardness that i don't tolerate very well. I spent all last night beating myself up for it. Not healthy really.

Also a slight feeling of being 'left out' socially at work has returned. This was a huge upset before i left work. I'm disappointed those feelings still remain. It's probably not real but it is real to me. I'm sure you all understand those feelings.   

All-in-all, considering i've gone from 8 months of pretty much zero social contact to going straight back in an office, I would consider the return a success. I pray it continues and that i can slowly attain some peace of mind.

My career is basically stuffed due to the many number of withdrawals i've tried over the years and the resultant months and years off. I worked it out at 4 years worth of absence from work due to withdrawals in the last 15 years at work. The 5 years before SSRI's i was never off work, even when depressed. Funny that. 

At least i have a job though and for that i'm grateful. Oh, and i'll never have to withdraw from a head med again. I'm eternally grateful for that.

Keep going folks, i was mentally and physically finished 6 months ago after a too-fast withdrawal from 17 years of SSRI's. Today i would say i'm 50% recovered and functioning relatively normally. I honestly thought it would never happen. I still have a lot of symptoms but they are liveable now.

Thanks for the support from those who visited this thread.

Best wishes to all. .   

• Moderator Emeritus

All-in-all, considering i've gone from 8 months of pretty much zero social contact to going straight back in an office, I would consider the return a success. I pray it continues and that i can slowly attain some peace of mind.

Sert,

This is a HUGE success.  You should be extremely proud and positive as you look forward to continued healing and growth.  It's been a long, hard road, but you have turned the corner and things will get better and better from here.

My career is basically stuffed due to the many number of withdrawals i've tried over the years and the resultant months and years off. I worked it out at 4 years worth of absence from work due to withdrawals in the last 15 years at work.

That's all temporary.  You have time to "unstuff" yourself and move forward.  It will take time and effort but after coming off the poisons that will seem like "child's play".

Today i would say i'm 50% recovered and functioning relatively normally. I honestly thought it would never happen. I still have a lot of symptoms but they are liveable now.

That 50% will continue to increase and the key is the word I've highlighted.  The fact that you feel you can live at this point is such a huge plus.

Very, very pleased for you.

Best,

Andy

P.S. -- need to hear something positive after watching the Brits take it on the chin from Iceland. Really?  Iceland?  :wacko:

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks very much Andy. Just preparing for day 3 at work. It's like an endurance challenge, i'm that knackered!! I'll probably attempt K2 naked and without oxygen if i can stay in work until my body recovers. It can't be any worse...

As for calling England the 'Brits' you might upset the Welsh a bit, and the Scottish!! England were truly appalling though.

Anyway, I'm a Wales fan now, I've holidayed there at least 3 times. I'll take the reflected glory where i can!!

Keep going mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there.

I'm so sorry for all you've endured. I have experienced those symptoms too, but not the sweating part.  The chronic fatigue part though.. God, I totally resonate with everything you've said.. I felt so alone until I stumbled upon this topic actually.

I have definitely had panic attacks though and frequent walks to the restroom at the office...Have you tried CBD (Hemp Oil)? It has no THC, it is legal in every state in the US. It seems to help me a great deal. It was recommended to me by a psych doctor who diagnoses withdrawal. I actually vape it and I ingest it. It's how i get through the days. My boss doesn't know I'm going through withdrawal, but it's so wonderful that yours is supportive.

I wish there was more I could say. I think time is the best healer.  I hope you continue to heal.

Remember: The pain means it's working. You are healing and on the path to recovery even though we know how it hurts.

Peace and love,

Ryella

ps- thanks for stopping by my topic earlier and this insightful post that helped me :)

Original Drug Dose Apr 2016: Adderall XR 30mg, 10mg Abilify, 100mg zoloft, over 700mg caffeine

August 2016- 4mg Abilify, 100mg Zoloft, 5mg Ritalin Instant Release, 200-500 Caffeine

Sept. 2016 - 2mg Abilify, 100mg Zoloft, 5mg Ritalin IR, ~400mg Caffeine Daily

Oct. 2016 - 1.75mg Abilify, others remain the same.

Nov 2016 - 1mg Abilify, others the same

Hello there! I can relate to that frustrating thing about not being able to take a nap whenever i choose. Same thing in the mornings, if i wake up past 7 or 8 it's almost impossible to go back to sleep. If I try, and close my eyes and wait for the sleep, right before entering sleepmode i feel a jerk or a kind of stab and start to feel panic and anxiety. Extreamly frustrating cause i want to sleep much and only want to hurry up time. Tak care!!

Klomipramin 25-150mg 2002-2013

Sertralin - 6 weeks in 2009

Mirtazapin - 7 weeks 2013

Cipralex -  20mg Nov 2013 - Nov 2014

Tapered Cipralex from Nov 2014-Mars 8 2015

Thyroid - Low metabolism

Levaxin - 2010 - 25ug - 175ug

Liothyronin(T3) -  10ug - Nov 2014 - Nov 2015

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It's pretty much a year since i joined here so i thought i'd update. What a fun year it's been :wacko:  :lol:

I'm still working, pretty much back to full time now (well 6/7 hours a day). Should be full-time by end of the month. Overall it's going ok. My thinking is still ridiculous on some days (feelings of being left out when i hear others joking and having a good time) even though i laugh and joke to some extent on a decent number of days each week. That's pure withdrawal thinking and it is insane! My social interactions are ok-ish, still a bit awkward at times but i'm not too sure it's that noticeable anymore. My boss even said i seemed calm and in control the other day which made me happy. My nuttiness is not showing!! Feelings of flatness are still prevelant and i still feel depressed at times but keeping busy really does help.

The actual process of doing the work is a bit weird. On the drugs i used to fly through my work and was always the most productive on my team. I'm now that slow i'm in danger of being replaced by a sloth. It's a concentration thing, i get so bored so quickly that my mind wanders. I was never like this before or on the drugs. It's almost like an ADHD thing. I know it's early days but it's very worrying. I think on the drugs we become too compliant. I hate my current job but on the drugs it was bearable, i even enjoyed it a times, now it's a lesson in perseverance. I'm sure these drugs were produced to create a more compliant and productive workforce. Capitalist Conspiracy mode off!   

Good news away from the drudgery of work...I'm exercising again!! I've been back at the gym for a few weeks now throwing around some very heavy weights tiny dumbells. It feels good to actually move again. I've even managed a good 2 hour session the other day- an hour of weights and an hour of cardio. Even a month ago that seemed impossible. I'm going 3/4 times a week and feeling a lot more energised once i've finished. I was so scared of returning to it because of all the times i've read on here that it has worsened people's symptoms. Lesson learned, never second-guess your own physical/nervous response to exercise based on what others have experienced. 

Good news part 2 - I actually went out 2 weekends ago with people from work. My first night out since Feb 2015!  I had a great time. Started drinking at 3pm and finally crawled home at midnight. I laughed so much, the kind of laughter i never experienced on the drug. Copious amounts of San Miguel helped obviously :), but i felt more like i used to feel pre-SSRI's. I was even staggering around the dancefloor at one point, doing the kind of dad-dancing that shouldn't be allowed in public! 

Unsurprisingly i hit a terrible wave for the next 10 days.  :o My advice. don't drink like a loon when you're not used to it and especially when you're in withdrawal. Another hard lesson learned, the hard way.  

So all-in-all i'm doing decent. Still have symptoms: dark thoughts, negative thoughts, depression, still can't nap, lack of concentration, occasional dizzyness, lack of interest in things, cry easily etc but none of it is unbearable. Well, almost, when i think about all the time i've lost on these drugs things can get quite distressing. I try to think of other things. Being at work and distracted 8 hours a day is a big help. It's the best thing to take ones mind off symptoms. I'm still at my worst when i'm on my own.   

Things that have improved even in the last month or two: chronic fatigue is not really an issue anymore, possibly because i sleep a lot better. I still wake at 4/5am a few mornings a week but it's not everyday now like it was for over a year. When i do wake i can normally get back to sleep till 7/8am. Sometimes i'm getting 8 hours a night. I haven't done that semi-consistently since i stopped the Seroxat 3 years ago.  It's amazing how the brain and body can heal. My sleep has slowly but surely improved over the last 12 months.

Most importantly for being on a site like this I've just realised i've been spelling 'withdrawal' wrong for the last 12 months. It's even in the title. I'm obviously getting a bit less thick :)

So that's me. Not the raving lunatic I was 12/9/6 months ago, but not entirely recovered either. But i'll take it because i'm soooooooooooo much better in many ways.

I hope this brings some of you a bit of hope.  It does get better.

Best wishes to all of you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Overall, a terrific update, Sert!

You are healing and it will only get better from here (assuming you don't go on too many more benders!).

And the Premier League kicks off Sunday -- life is looking good for you!

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Two years on from my last ever slither of anti-depressant and I'm feeling a whole lot better than I was back then. I continue to work full-time and I'm getting on with life as best I can. There are some residual issues that I attribute to nearly 20 years of SSRI's but they are for another day. For now I just wanted to say that if you are going through the hell of acute withdrawal please believe that it won't last forever. Because it won't.

I hope to do a success story someday soon.

Best wishes to all of you.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Sertramean said:

Hi All,

Two years on from my last ever slither of anti-depressant and I'm feeling a whole lot better than I was back then. I continue to work full-time and I'm getting on with life as best I can. There are some residual issues that I attribute to nearly 20 years of SSRI's but they are for another day. For now I just wanted to say that if you are going through the hell of acute withdrawal please believe that it won't last forever. Because it won't.

I often wondered where you were, Sert.  Great to hear!

Glad you are seeing the light.

Best,

Andy

Oh Sert, I just happen to see your latest post and wow, you made my day!

so after reading your last update, I couldn't help but read your entire thread word by word! My God, I can't believe how much you went through and how strong you have been!  I felt so heartbreaking for times you suffered but the same time I can't stop smiling with such great sense of humor you wrote even in that crazy agony! You are my # 1 inspiration and I'm a big fan now!

thank you so much for the most wonder update to help others!

im so happy for you being out of the hell and live the most deserved life in full!

all the best wishes to every single day and year of yours!!!

lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 8 months later...

Thank you so much to those who supported me in this thread.

I've written a success story. 

• Administrator

Congratulations, Sertramean!

As is our custom, I will close this thread now. Please visit Sertramean's success story topic to add your congratulations.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata locked this topic