Have Pharma shot themselves in the foot ?

Nomoreheadmeds

Have Pharma shot themselves in the foot by allowing ssris to be prescribed for illnesses other than depression / anxiety ?.Take this example for instance.An ssri is prescribed for Premature Ejaculation.After a while the patient returns to the prescriber and complains that he is not happy with the sensations of orgasm and wishs to stop taking the ssri.The doctor says fine and suggests a quick taper as they do.The patient returns after a while complaining of serious withdrawals symptoms.Hes experiencing cortisol mornings ,depression, agitation, suicidal thought,depersonalisation and no sex drive.

There is no way the doctor can say these symptoms are part of the underlying problem because he never had these symptoms at any time in his life.There is no way Pharma or doctors could make any excuse other than the patient is suffering from serious withdrawals.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

All doctors deny side-effects and withdrawal, and/or do not answer, or say your original problem has worsened, you need more meds or different meds... even when side-effects are noticed in Manufacturer references (or liflets?)

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

hi stan , i hear what your saying .yes they do deny it.Are you stan from "toxic antidepressants" youtube channel ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

as far as i know, which isnt always all that far, the FDA has not approved SSRIs for non-mental illnesses.  whether or not off-label uses are reimbursed or clinically supported is not a problem for big pharma---it means more revenue, and more problems (from side effects or worsened conditions) to treat with non-antidepressant medications.

it doesnt matter how many people know that antidepressants have side effects or withdrawal effects if people still buy them, or buy that the drug merry-go-round is a valid system of healthcare management.

it seems like a good number of people are on here for non-psychiatric uses, partially or fully, but their cases are not a culturally meaningful indictment of psychotropics because that is not how the healthcare/reporting system works.  big pharma has fought tooth and claw to prevent potentially damaging relabeling and recategorizing, and continues to throw tons of money and doctors and lawyers.  whether or not additional prescriptions can slightly speed their downfall is less important to them, financially, than the massive increases in present revenue from off-label prescribing and proliferation.  they surely know that they cant ride the wave forever, so, within a measure of balance, it is a sound plan to push the boundaries when possible.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

they always invent new uses for drugs when patents run out.Amitriptyline found a new use as a pain killer once ssris came out.I doubt the efficacy of that I took it for years it put me to sleep thats about all.It would be a nice thought Pharma having to put money aside like the banks are doing for PPI.Not for to end the misery that they have caused just to put some things right.I know i'm a dreamer.

hi stan , i hear what your saying .yes they do deny it.Are you stan from "toxic antidepressants" youtube channel ?

yes

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

Thankyou stan those videos have been a great help to me.I watch them often.

thank's, the videos are from my friend Luc,  i only put on his website, i have not the knowledge to make a video... lol 

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

its all good stan :)

• Moderator Emeritus

...The patient returns after a while complaining of serious withdrawals symptoms.Hes experiencing cortisol mornings ,depression, agitation, suicidal thought,depersonalisation and no sex drive.

There is no way the doctor can say these symptoms are part of the underlying problem because he never had these symptoms at any time in his life....

Most doctors will not recognize these symptoms as withdrawal, but will diagnose a new condition/illness and offer more drugs to treat it.

Until doctors start being trained to recognize withdrawal symptoms (from psychiatric drugs), pharma are only going to benefit from any new symptoms which develop because they can be used as evidence of new illnesses and a reason to prescribe more drugs.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 months later...

Have Pharma shot themselves in the foot by allowing ssris to be prescribed for illnesses other than depression / anxiety ?.Take this example for instance.An ssri is prescribed for Premature Ejaculation.After a while the patient returns to the prescriber and complains that he is not happy with the sensations of orgasm and wishs to stop taking the ssri.The doctor says fine and suggests a quick taper as they do.The patient returns after a while complaining of serious withdrawals symptoms.Hes experiencing cortisol mornings ,depression, agitation, suicidal thought,depersonalisation and no sex drive.

There is no way the doctor can say these symptoms are part of the underlying problem because he never had these symptoms at any time in his life.There is no way Pharma or doctors could make any excuse other than the patient is suffering from serious withdrawals.

I also got Lyrica for PGAD, actuall for nerve pain after caesarian delivery.

When I got withdrawal symptoms (after stopping using it) like depression, intrusive thoughts, GAD, the doctor said that surely previously I had depression and now the depression went worse, and it is not the med. He said now the Lyrica will not save it anymore, we have to increase the dose and plus take higher dose of SSRI as a therapy for  intrusive thoughts. So they will always put it as recurring of underliing condition.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD