SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

horsegirl: Hello, my introduction...

horsegirl

I've been on medication for a little over 5 years. I started on Risperidone after going to the hospital in April 2010 without sleeping for two days straight and not sleeping well for 7 months leading up to it. I had psychosis at the time and it was the start of me realizing I had PTSD. Started on Citalopram in May 2010 and am still on it now. I got off the Risperdal two years ago and started Geodon and Wellbutrin XL after trying Saphris which was hard to tolerate certain side effects of. In 2013 I changed doctors. Tried two different ones before choosing the third. I changed doctors again a few months ago because I wanted to try and come off my medications. My new psychiatrist is a holistic psychiatrist. I'm interested in trying amino acids after the tapering. Which seems like it's going to take longer than I wish it would...I tried tapering off Wellbutrin two weeks ago by 100mg and it was too much to soon. So I'm back up to 300mg and I asked if I could taper the Geodon first. I'm starting to get hungry from it after lowering the WB. My doctor said to reduce by 20mg from 160mg to 140mg for two months. I might ask if I can do a reduction every month. It seems like he knows what he's doing but if I can tolerate it I'd like to go off faster.  

I have some side effects from all of them. Fatigue is the main one besides feeling a little dull(and now the hunger, but it's not so bad back on the WB). On the lower Wellbutrin I felt so much better mentally. Less hand shake and felt more like myself. After a few days I had anxiety and some confusion. So, hopefully the Geodon taper will be better. It's a 12.5% taper, I believe. 

I'm looking forward to the future. I'm taking two college classes this fall but possibly three. Two of them would be pretty easy and one is going to be some work but I think I can handle it. I've taken online classes last fall and spring, but I'm going on campus this semester. I'm 24 by the way. I started school later but since all of this started it's been a long journey. I think it's going to take at least two years and possibly more to come off these meds, but I'm still trying to hope for the future. I have issues with my PTSD and I hope to see that change too. It's been over two years with it. Just need to keep working on it. Thanks, everyone!

August 2015

Ziprasidone 160mg; Citalopram 40mg; Bupropion XL 300mg; Prazosin 1mg

Vitamin D 5,600IU; Calcium 600mg; Fish Oil 2tbps; Benadryl 3mg

Will start to taper Ziprasidone by 20mg in September. 

Hi horsegirl!

I am tapering Citalopram right now.

I too am hopeful for the future with these yucky drugs out of my system and letting my nervous system heal up!

Everyday in every way, we are getting better and better!!!!!!!

March 2015 - April 2015 took 100mg Tramadol (like Effexor) daily. Just for pain - did not know there were anti-depressant as well.

May 2nd 2015, quit the Tramadol cold turkey.

Started Citalopram 20mg May 26.

Take 2mg Melatonin at night.

Took Lunesta for 30 days, stopped July 2nd, 2015

Started Citalopram taper (20mg) - 20% to 18mg, July 2nd, 2015

Dose cut to 10mg Aug 1, 2015

Dose cut to 5mg Aug 15, 2015

Hi Horsegirl-- welcome to the group, I'm so glad you found us, we have a lot of good information to share.  Before you start to taper off of anything I suggest that you look through some of these threads;

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

That will give you a lot to digest, then we can answer any questions you are likely to have.

Thank you for filling in a signature block, it makes it so much easier for us to see what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Welcome, horsegirl.

Have you started reducing the Geodon? How are you sleeping?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you! Thanks for taking the time to post to me. 

No, I haven't started the taper yet. I'll start the first week of September. 

The drug interactions:

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-3-big.png bupropion ↔ citalopram

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Celexa (citalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with citalopram. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of citalopram, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png bupropion ↔ ziprasidone

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Geodon (ziprasidone)

BuPROPion may cause seizures, especially at higher dosages, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as ziprasidone may increase that risk. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

interaction-3-big.png citalopram ↔ ziprasidone

Applies to: Celexa (citalopram), Geodon (ziprasidone)

Using citalopram together with ziprasidone can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

interaction-2-big.png prazosin ↔ bupropion

Applies to: Minipress (prazosin), Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)

Prazosin and buPROPion may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

August 2015

• Administrator

Your hands were shaking? That's a serious adverse effect. You are indeed taking too many drugs.

To avoid the blood sugar dysregulation of Geodon, I agree, I would reduce it. You may wish to reduce it part way, then go off Wellbutrin.

Why was the prazosin added?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Your hands were shaking? That's a serious adverse effect. You are indeed taking too many drugs.

To avoid the blood sugar dysregulation of Geodon, I agree, I would reduce it. You may wish to reduce it part way, then go off Wellbutrin.

Why was the prazosin added?

It's a mild hand shaking. I noticed it went away after I lowered it. The Prazosin is for nightmares. It works, it's off label for it. It only works half the night though. Oh I forgot, the WB causes vivid dreams. I tried Wellbutrin SR and was on it for about a year, I noticed my dreams got much more vivid then switch back to XL and the dreams haven't gone away. I can deal with it as I lower the Geodon but yes, Wellbutrin is next in line. It's going to take time though...but I'm willing to do it to get off.

August 2015

Hi horsegirl I had the exact same thing as you of not sleeping very much for months and then tipping over into zero sleep for a few days before going on the psych ward

. Isn't it surely one of the worst feelings you can have when being awake for that length of time - the fear, horror and strangeness?

It's good that you got off the risperidone though A/Ps are particularly nasty.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

Hi horsegirl I had the exact same thing as you of not sleeping very much for months and then tipping over into zero sleep for a few days before going on the psych ward

. Isn't it surely one of the worst feelings you can have when being awake for that length of time - the fear, horror and strangeness?

It's good that you got off the risperidone though A/Ps are particularly nasty.

Thanks. Yeah, it's scary to not be in control of the situation when that happens... I had some bad side effects with Risperidone. It seems I'm getting the same ones with the Geodon all of the sudden. Soon enough I'll start to taper. I've heard Zyprexa has terrible withdrawals. I have you in my prayers.  :)

August 2015

• 1 month later...

Hi horsegirl. I am also tapering geodon. I have been on it for a long time. But I am now down to 54.27 mgs. I am tapering by 10 percent of the current dose every three to four weeks. I experience sleep issues with each taper so I wait until those resolve before tapering again. I had side effects of akathisia, and insomnia from geodon. Now that I am down to a much lower dose I am much more functional and feel much better. What side effects are you having?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.